Dollar Tree Employee Reviews for Customer Service Associate / Cashier

Very Fast
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAAugust 20, 2018
There are about one or two cashiers counting you while there are a lot of customers. Some days are busy and some are not. Sometimes the managers are not there when you need them.
Horrible
Cashier Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAAugust 18, 2018
I'm an ex employee and quite a few of my assistant managers were horrible to both the employees and the customers. I had so many complaints about one specific assistant manager. I brought it up to the "Big Manager" and he just brushed it off.

They don't care about your health or anything when you are sick!
Productive work place.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  923 S.CLINTONAugust 16, 2018
Working at dollar tree wasnt the best work place ,niether was it the worst. Putting in alot of hours and over time seemed like it didnt add up to the money I was recieving in a check.
Good Enviorment, Disorganized Management, Too much pressure on Cashiers, Lacking in Efficiency and Horrible Pay.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 14, 2018
Dollar Tree Was my very first job, and also a favorite place of mine to shop at. Initially when I get the job the interview process was pretty easy and I found the job to be fun. I worked for Dollar Tree for about a year and a month as a Cashier with a pay of 7.35 an hour. The average day consists of tending to customers, manning the register, front facing everything in the store, wiping the windows, picking up everything around the store, doing go backs(returning items to the proper place in the store), light stocking, blowing up balloons, organizing the register areas, organizing the balloon station, helping the manager, helping customers find things in the store, sweeping, vacuuming, recovery(fixing broken items, straightening aisle), help customers carry things to their cars, cleaning up spills and various messes around the store, doing exchanges and returns, make a drink list, filling drink coolers taking out the trash, and answering questions asked by customers. At first as a cashier everything seemed okay, but as the job progressed I was being required to do more. On top of that the management was inconsistent and constantly conflicting in managing styles. The Store Manager said I was doing very well, although it turns out later on that he actually neglected to teach me like a majority of how to do my job, this poor teaching led to another manager, the merch manager to train me in all the areas the store manager failed to show me. Because the Managers all managed in different ways I found myself tiptoeing around those who went by the book and doing otherwise around the  more... managers who didn't. The Store Manager's way of doing things was strictly by the book, and his methods almost never got the job done, We were "Over -Staffed" yet things would almost never fully get done, or they got done but only because we had to stay over time to get these things done. There would always be long lines and although some of us would be listed as working on recovery on certain days we'd end up on the register anyways. What was frustrating the most was that go backs would pile up and everything including cleaning the store would be left onto the Night Shift, which is incredibly hard considering they'd only have a manager and only one cashier work during that closing night shift. With both having various duties to complete, despite getting swamped the last two hours of that shift. They only way everything would get done is if it were a slow night. For all the frustration of dealing with lines, customers, and various other tasks we had to get done but couldn't because the Dollar Tree's standard is that the Customer always comes first, and then getting fussed at when nothing gets done because we're stuck behind the register, and because they want only two people on the last shift of the night, is just entirely too much to expect when we are only getting like 7.35 an hour. The environment in terms of interacting with customers, fellow employees, and managers was pleasant. Everyone was nice and very helpful. But getting everything done felt impossible at times, and the breaks were only 10 minutes long. Working the Register and being expected to do everything in the store and work the register was just really difficult. The management seemed to be POORLY Organized, Which over all decreased efficiency across the board in everything. The pay is so bad that almost all the employees even the full times ones that I met had to have second jobs to cover there own bills. This job is great for a first time job, good if you want to make pocket change, But I would not consider this a good career or as an only job. I'd even recommend it as JUST a Summer job. I ran into so many customers who were shocked when they found out I was still working there after a year, because Dollar Tree is known for it's high turn over rate. I even met customers who had worked at the very location I was working at, most of them quit within less than 3 or 4 months. It was very easy to talk to the store manager about scheduling concerns and almost always I was able to get the days I requested off, or easily switch shifts with another employee if I needed it.  less
Pros
Good Enviorment, Everyone Is Kind/ Helpful, Fairly Easy tasks to Do
Cons
Poorly Organized Management, Cashiers Expected to do too much, Terrible Pay
Slow always part time
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bartow, FLAugust 13, 2018
Everyone is part time you have to work the shift they give you. Personally im tired of working nights can't have days till someone quits I don't see myself going any where
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
No paid meals breaks, no benfits, no full time hours
Decent job for students. Had issues contacting corporate.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Booneville, ArAugust 12, 2018
Enjoyed my time with Dollar Tree. Had issues with manager and contacting corporate. Having multiple managers sounds like a plus but when those managers have issues with each other it makes things difficult.
Pros
Enjoyable environment.
Cons
Corporate.
Stressful work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baker, LAAugust 11, 2018
Always wants to tell you how to do things but were not doing them herself. She was rude in every way. No respect for her employees or herself. Always on the phone when suppose to be working.
Pros
Fast-paced, Friendly environment, Meet new people
Cons
Short breaks, Not enough pay, Poor management
easy-going, helpful, fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Falcon, COAugust 10, 2018
The dollar tree is a grest work environment. Everyone gets along and someones always there to help and answer your questions. Tgey always have a back up if it gets too busy.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
low hours
Good work place
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 9, 2018
The work was easy but the customers are difficult at times so you would need patients and be able to put aside your feelings and not take things to personsl.
Pros
Easy hours, easy work
Cons
Rude customers, very short breaks, okay pay
Not fun at all. Very bad management.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 7, 2018
I would say it’s a great place to start as a first job, but not as a steady working job. Very poor management, they got mad at me for having stuff to do so they fired me without me knowing until the next week. They’re still refusing to give me my last check. When i asked about it, they told me get over it.
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Short staff so all work will be depending on yourself

Want to know more about Dollar Tree?

Ask a question
Customer service
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Adel, GAAugust 6, 2018
I learned a new campaign. Called customer to see if their vehicles was serviced or not. Leave voicemails, greet customers make sure they found everything they were looking for
No statement
Cashier Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wilkesboro, NCAugust 5, 2018
No statement I would prefer not to add a statement and feel that it would be unprofessional to do so. I'm only filling this out because it is required.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Fun place to work.
Cashier / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Watervliet, NYAugust 3, 2018
Overall great place to work. Good customers, good employees, and good atmosphere.Never had a problem. Everyone is so polite. just looking for a career.
Bad communication skills
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 3, 2018
My hours and days would be changed without notice so I would miss some shifts,and the pay is low. You get 1 ten minute break, management is not on the same page.
It’s an ok job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXAugust 2, 2018
Very great work place only thing is that they don’t pay well but it would b perfect for a teen first job. Can go up and get raise but it takes times. But friendly easy job.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
I am pretty much vercitile when it comes to work ,meaning I can maintain and hold a decent conversation.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 31, 2018
A typical day at work for me would be feel like a day in the park .There will be a time for team work and a resting time.I have learned a lot from working at Dollar Tree.I learned to work at a fast pace and how to give good customer service ,some management skills though I wasn’t a manager,and also more organizational skills to go with the ones I already have.In this workplace it is very fast pace so I had to learn how to work at a faster pace than usual also while consulting with management on money matters.The most difficult part of the job was handling cash while waiting on other customers.The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a smile on the customers faces after I helped them find what ever it was they needed .
Pros
Pros for this job was that it was fast pace and made the day go by faster.
Cons
Cons were not being able to assist a customer if we didn’t have the item they wanted.
A wonderful environment to work in
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABJuly 31, 2018
Working at Dollar Tree for the past three years has taught me many great skills. It improved my communication and organization skills and taught me how to manage my time between school and work
Easygoing
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJuly 27, 2018
Dollar tree is a good introductory job into retail, at least that’s what it was for me. It was my first real job I took while going to community college. Still living at home at the time it was more so spending money for me as I had very little bills to pay. I worked with a great store manager who ran a great store. Unfortunately being a cashier or even assistant manager at dollar tree, it’s not able to be made a living off of because of pay rates, in my opinion, unless maybe you were a full time assistant.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Pot pay
Safety issues
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Grandview, MOJuly 27, 2018
They do have some things to work on such as safety issues and the store being clean. the store kind of smells and things aren't really put in the right place recovery is an issue
Pros
discounts
Cons
safety
Very relaxed and easy to do what is expected
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 27, 2018
I enjoyed working at dollar tree in a sense it was extremely easy. The staff i worked with was very respectful. The manager was also very flexible. However was a life career for me.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Doesn't pay enough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.

53K