Dollar Tree Employee Reviews for Cashier

Found 3,394 reviews matching the search See all 12,855 reviews
Only good as a second job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peoria, OKNovember 13, 2018
my particular location I work is in a kind of limbo space. it's larger than a small store, but never hits the weekly quota to be considered a "large store", keeping us relatively understaffed and overworked. Shifts are short, and the pay is incredibly low. Even if you manage to step up to be a supervisor, the pay isn't worth the workload managers are put under.

plus it's part time only, which makes the pay even less worth it.

The hardest part in my opinion with the store is just poor time management skills. it always seems like one shift is being given far too much work for a short amount of time, causing primarily closing shift to stay far too late after closing in an attempt to get everything done, and earlier shifts are given such minimal or generally simple tasks instead. this likely isn't intentional, it's just been my experience

second hardest part is the fact that our delivery trucks are never on time and are always overloaded to the point that the employee lounge area is inaccessible due to the sheer number of boxes filling up every possible space.

but other than the time management problem, which certainly trickles down into various parts of the job, the other employees are great. we all generally get along, and if we don't, well, hours are short enough that we don't necessarily interact other than when changing shifts.

But I really enjoy the job. I enjoy working with the customers, and I enjoy the managers I work with. I love how simple the customer service side of it is, how easy it is to simply know where things are and how to help customers when we
  more... are missing an item, how easy it is to correct mistakes, and how a majority of the time customers don't tend to complain if we're out of something, as there's always another dollar tree close by to check there too.  less
Pros
relatively easy going job, short somewhat flexible hours, fun supervisors
Cons
poor time management, horribly underpaid and overworked, stressful
Good starting job
Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 13, 2018
I loved working for Dollar Tree because the customers where always nice and a lot of them were usual's. I was usually if not most likely register 1 (closest to the door). I would see every customer come in and greet them. It was nice catching up with regulars and and seeing them smile when they came in. As for duties, Checking customers out, bagging items and keeping the front face tidy was easy and satisfactory for me.
It was a for sure job in case of emergency.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sapulpa, OKNovember 13, 2018
Ive worked for Dollar Tree several times. They hob was always there for me in case of emergency. My work there was great and thats why i always got hired there when i needed them. the pay was the worst ive ever had. The job it's self was fun, and something new every day. The management and supervisory positions was forever changing and sometimes we would get a decent supervisor. It was obvious we were expendable, because of the way they would talk to the employs. There was no security implemented in the store. Lots of customers would steal from the store.If you have any felony convictions you could not be promoted, so there was no chance to move up in the company. I liked my co workere,but the turnover rate was new each week, so it was hard to get to know the other employ's.
Dont do it fam
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 13, 2018
Worst place ive ever worked in my life. Anywhere is better than here. Always busy during peak holiday seasons. the management is corrupt and dont care and will make you feel bad about any callouts reguadless of what it is.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
fun, energetic, and fast pace enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hemet, CANovember 13, 2018
Working at Dollar Tree is very fun and keep every employee on there toes. It does teach each employee that there is always something to do. However, it tend to become stressful when it comes to customers who don't realize that everything in the store besides food items has taxes on them. The employee relationships are what make working at Dollar tree a blast and a motivation to come into work and have your game face on.
Pros
great employees, great management, great customers
Cons
no benefits unless you are a manager of some sort, constant customer complaints about 0.08 cent tax
very relaxed work- place
Dollar Tree Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 12, 2018
Dollar tree was a place of good setting when i worked there. my co- workers were fun and very outgoing. i did not like unloading the truck so much but it was do-able.
My experience (previous employee)
Retail Clerk/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, ABNovember 12, 2018
Terrible experience working at Dollar Tree - Management was horrible & mistreated staff, didn’t show up for shifts so the store was left closed until someone else went in to open it. Schedule was never complete we would only get a text the day of saying when it was complete. Never seen such terrible management, seemed like a good place to work until you see how unorganized it is. A month after minimum wage changed as of oct 1/2018 & I was still being paid less than minimum wage. Not recommended for a place of employment.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Busy, fast-paced place business.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MINovember 12, 2018
Typical shift is 5 hours and part-time only....very limited full-time positions. Run cash register and stock shelves as well as straighten and re-shop items customers did not want or put in the wrong home. Hardest part of the job is standing for long periods of time and irritable customers (not a lot of them). Most enjoyable part of the job is when customers are excited as everything in the store is one dollar or less.
Pros
fast-paced, busy, short shifts
Cons
management personalities vary greatly & no chance for advancement
Great work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Angola, INNovember 12, 2018
I love going to work everyday. I have had jobs that I hated waking up in the mornings to go but this job is one of the best places to work. The management treats you like one of there family members!
Dollar Tree Summary
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, MDNovember 12, 2018
Working at the Dollar Tree enhances my customer service experience. I am calm under stressful situations. The environment is fast paced and very demanding from the customers but I am able to face and conquer them.
Pros
staff
Cons
environment
if youre really short on money
Dollar Tree Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bayside, NYNovember 11, 2018
terriible work place enviorment, very catty and unprofessional coworkers. the whole experience was beyond wild not to mention they wanted a lot when it came to recovery and put backs.
Pros
you got paid
Cons
you had to work there
Love this place
Part-Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lexington ncNovember 11, 2018
Great place to work. Manager is easy to work for and does not put too many tasks on you. Customers are easy to please. Wished they paid more and had full time positions with benefits.
Pros
Fun
Cons
No full time
Good Store
Dollar Tree Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJNovember 11, 2018
Great place to go shopping. For all your food and holiday stuff. For all seasons .the selection of sutff you find is awesome and its all fir a dollar.
Thought I was getting the hang of it but it was not meant to be.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Franklin, INNovember 10, 2018
I dislike that I was rushed and written off as not understanding the job when I just needed more practice as well as focus when that wasn't a luxury, also disliked being called into work on off days.
Productive and cheery place at Dollar Tree
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Menomonie, WINovember 10, 2018
I worked temporarily as a cashier for the holiday special for Christmas season. It was very busy, lots of customers getting groceries and Christmas ornaments.
Great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 9, 2018
whats great is that you always have something to do. there is a to do list given to each employee on what they are doing for the time they are there for.
i love always being busy
Pros
always busy
Cons
break is only ten minutes
Relaxed
Dollar Tree Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bonham, TXNovember 9, 2018
A slow paced store with a very lenient managers.
Atypical work day was normally pretty slow.
There wasn't really anything hard about the job.
There was a wide verity of culture in the work place.
Friendly
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VANovember 8, 2018
Its fun and friendly i enjoy working there but its the wages that i cant be ok with it also has no benefits. I do enjoy meeting new people everyday. And managemnt is cool.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Low wages no benefits
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2018
Working at Dollar Tree was productive in my personal opinion. It helped me a lot in a way where I learned more to communicate with people . Also how to manage the cast register
Pros
Didcounts
Cons
Short breaks
It was okay
Dollar Tree Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lansing, ILNovember 7, 2018
Working for Dollar Tree started off good. However, they promised me hours but they didn't deliver on it. Overall, I was able to meet good people and service the community.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K