Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

Found 13,047 reviews matching the search See all 13,049 reviews
Work balance
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  PADecember 2, 2018
When I started with company very family oriented, wanted you to have a life. Now just like any other company. Just a number, money is more important than employees and their families. Very physical job and expect a lot for what they pay, especially for truck. Healthcare is expensive.
Pros
Paid time off, 401k, work environment
Cons
Holidays, whats expected for pay
Poorly Run
Assistant Freight Manager (Current Employee) –  East Aurora, NYDecember 1, 2018
Cashiers were nice to work with, management needs considerable improvement especially at this particular store. Working hours given are all over the place and inconsistent through out the week for some employees, and regular for others. Would have preferred a consistent daily schedule to work with rather than random depending on who needs what days off. Concerns about needed days off addressed in a very pleasing manner and worked out pleasantly. Truck day is unpredictable and needs better execution where the use of pallets and organization of unloading occurs where the unloader doesn't have to risk getting hit in the head by boxes falling all over the place, or those helping the unloader or management have to run around and end up placing boxes in just any place due to overwhelming space limitations and being rushed so that the truck gets on time to its next destination - very dangerous, stressful, and at times overwhelming - and truck arrival times were ridiculous - 5am is unheard of for a normal unloading time. More training of employees and staff needs to be looked into. More cashiers need to be on more busy days especially during the holidays, so the customers don't take out their anger on the cashiers. Overall, I was very dissatisfied with the job. I am grateful for learning the skills that I did, but it could have been a way better experience if certain things were looked into and managed more efficiently and properly.
Pros
Worked with your schedule for needed days off or times available to work, Depending on the day - happy environment to work in.
Cons
Management needs a lot of work, Truck management and unloading is horrendous, Working weekly hours given are unpredictable and all over the place, Need to have more cashiers cashing during the busy holiday season.
Easy experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 1, 2018
dollar tree is is a great place to learn and gain experience. They are flexible with their shifts they also work around your personal schedule to maintain your lifestyle
Pros
Easy job to learn
Cons
Pay
Exhausteing
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2018
Always busy , costumers mean attitude for no reaosn no patience from people . Always rushing you , if it’s busy the managers don’t give you breaks unless you speak up ... , some managers are lazy and forgetfull
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes no breaks
Okay Job for starters
Cashier (Former Employee) –  DEDecember 1, 2018
I found this job OKAY. It was easy and simple however we were constantly understaffed. One person was required to do most of the work while the manager sat all day.
Terrible Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLNovember 30, 2018
LOTS and LOTS of work has to be put into these stores in order to maintain them in decent order. Dollar tree piles freight on top of freight to the point that it is a danger to the associates and customers. A dollar tree store will get base hours no matter how much sales are up. Not only do they make us work like dogs but the most of the management is corrupt. As a person with supervisor responsibilities I am needed to be available at any given notice. DO NOT work for dollar tree.
Pros
Cons
everything
fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 30, 2018
a typical day at work for me was usually started after my college for the day
some of the management wasn't the best so it wasn't always organized or scheduled well
Pros
made good friends
Cons
management sucked
Part time job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 30, 2018
Fast paced during the holidays but I enjoyed working there I learned to be organized and interact with different customers and help them with inquiries.
dollar tree is a peaceful workplace
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 30, 2018
I worked as a cashier and as a stock associate at dollar tree. Cashiering was a simple process, as was counting and dropping the till before and after shift. Stocking was a bit more difficult because the merchandise is always changing from the company purchaseing whole sale shipment containers with who knows what inside, aside from their permanent brand contracts. The truck hours would change and vary each week but there i always between 1500-2500 items of freight to be unloaded and categorized to specific u-boats per aisle and section. The truck is unloaded by hand unless it is already on a pallet like the frozen food section. After separating freight, we would begin stocking the aisles with it and then break down the boxes for recycling. It can be incredibly and physically taxing, especially when one or two stock associates don't show up for their shift and the truck needs to be unloaded either way within 2 hours maximum. The store manager was a great guy so I will certainly give credit where its due.
Pros
physical work, easy cashiering
Cons
customers stealing, no security cameras, back stock area unorganized
Fair job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 30, 2018
My job at the dollar tree gave me cash handling experience I also learned the computerized cash register as well as gained more hospitality skills and problem solving to ensure quality customer service.
Great workplace, low pay
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WINovember 30, 2018
Great management, breaks are flexible, and workday is steady. There isn't really anything difficult with the job at all, it's a slow and steady position.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Low pay
Not my best or worst job
Dollar Tree cashier/ Freight team member (Former Employee) –  Artesia, CANovember 30, 2018
Dollar tree manager at the time was AMAZING!! He lead by example and he had trained us so well on fright and cashiers/recovery teams. Once he got relocated, corprate had given us so many other managers who NEVER stayed or werent as motived to the store, so did the stores productivity. Work began to pile up and no one wanted to play catch up. Customers at times were also difficult, I didnt feel safe on multiple occasions and almost had to file a report. Most dollar stores have a bad rep because of the conditons their in because the lack of great management.
Pros
cheap deals on literally EVERYTHING
Cons
work enviornment isnt stable and causes high turn overs
i enjoyed working at the Tree
Freight leader (Former Employee) –  Monticello, NYNovember 30, 2018
The problem at the Tree is that one hand does not know what the other one is doing and then the items get misplaced. There are
individuals that are hired with no experience and you have to babysit
sometimes. That's not good for any company.
Pros
you get to set the shelves in a presentable manner
Cons
stock room is a confused maze
Terrible company
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 30, 2018
i was a district manager for dollar tree with a very large territory. Upper management had no regard for travel time. It was not usual to get a call from my regional at 6pm. and say "we need you to run out to Roswell, NM and talk to the manager. Roswell was over 5 hours from where I lived; making it impossible to get to the store before it closed.
Minimal training tools for management. Very much an "old boys club.
Pros
Associates
Cons
Regional management
Worst place ever.
N/A (Current Employee) –  Cowpens, SCNovember 30, 2018
They injured many workers, then fire them. They claim to have work for them, but it almost always goes against their doctors orders. So HR fires them. Do not ever reveal being injured at this job, it's a one way ticket out the door! They will place production on you, which is also illegal to do. But this company will do it. You can't trust any management, HR, not even the head of the company. They can and they will retaliate against you. You're just a number to this company. DO NOT WORK HERE, IT WILL BE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF YOUR LIFE.
Pros
Healthcare but it isn't 100% like they claim.
Cons
Management. All of management. From top to bottom.
Lack of employee consideration.
Cashier and Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brent, ALNovember 30, 2018
Working at Dollar Tree was fun in the beginning because it was almost like we were a family. Now it was like being in prison with on chance of parole.
good temporary job
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Needles, CANovember 30, 2018
Not bad as a stop over to something better. The pay is low and the job is hard work but they pay every other week and will work with your schedule.Don't get too attached.
Pros
flexible, part time
Cons
No full time available, low pay, hard work.
Fun and friendly work place
Associate (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LANovember 29, 2018
Enjoyed meeting new people everyday... I didnt like the crew because they were always calling me for other people shift. I would rather be scheduled the hours.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 29, 2018
Dollar tree started off real nice, however the district kept switching out managers. I learned from that job, a lot of times people complain about the managers when in reality most managers are just following instructions from above. The job taught me to stay focus and keep my eye on the prize and to never settle for anything less than what I want.
Pros
work
Cons
system
Productive and a fun place to work
Stocker (Former Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJNovember 29, 2018
Dollar Tree is a relaxed place to work. The hardest part of the job is understanding where the items goes. The enjoyable part of the job is working with my fellow employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K