Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

Great job bad pay
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 18, 2018
Easy environment, simple math involved with everything being a dollar including your paycheck at the end of two weeks. Perfect job for a teenager, kinda scary if you're still 30+ years old and okay with making a little over minimum wage.
Pros
Easy, simple math
Cons
Pay
Productive is great.
Dollar Tree Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJune 18, 2018
The typical work day is cashiering, and when their are no customers you are Stocking products. The management is productive. If they see that you need help they will help you figure out the best way to get it done.
Kind workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Holiday, FLJune 18, 2018
It has some very busy moments but overall you have multiple tasks you can do to help the day go by. The workers are polite and a well laid out floor plan.
Pros
Good people and decent amount of breaks.
Pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oviedo, FLJune 18, 2018
Pay is not conducive to the amount of work that is required. As an Assistant Manager the pay should be minimum &40,000. The standards are low, its a dollar tree and they treat the employees as if their worth is a dollar.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Re-calculate pay
fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 18, 2018
Dollar Tree is a face pace job and very simple. I enjoyed stocking and taking care of customers. It wasnt a hard job at all, it was kind of hard to get to work at the exact time i had to work because of the bus schedule and having someone watch my child.
cahier
Dollar Tree Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 18, 2018
Im a cashier at the east capital dollar tree i stocks thing in the store also the job is very easy work part time their the works are very helpful and also do what they have to do
Pros
bring owe lunch
Cons
get 30min breaks
stocker
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2018
great people to work with they respect you and be sweet no matter if the paid not good is a easy job to do the manager great with his or her employees
Stressfull and political
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 18, 2018
They state there are opportunities for moving up & advancing in the company, but when you apply for them, you either get no response from HR or a response stating your going to be contact, but they don't follow thru to advise you if your being considered.
Pros
Free medical if you are single and an hourly employee.
Cons
Politcal... "Good Ol' Boys" network
Ill equipped for its own business.
Stocker (Current Employee) –  1610 Edgewater Dr, Orlando, FL 32804June 18, 2018
While I am cognoscente my experience with Dollar Tree was mildly unique, the store I worked for lacked floor space to effectively function. This disadvantage trickled down blame unto the stockers.
Great if your manager likes you.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 18, 2018
I worked for dollar tree for 2 years, at first they gave me almost 40 hours a week. It was great the managers liked me, I did my job, I showed up when no one else would. About a year and a half into working here my manager transferred to another store to help turn it around and the new manager only gave me 4-12 hours a week. It was not enough for me to live on. I don't know why the new manager cut my hours. They hired a bunch of new people and gave them the hours instead.
bad
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boerne, TXJune 17, 2018
I didn't get paid enough to work the hours they wanted me to work. Also I didn't see a difference in my pay check when it came to the holidays. My manger was a child at most
Place was nice to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 17, 2018
I liked working for this company. Staff was nice but wasn’t very organized. Shifts are a little every where meaning one day you could start at 7 am and the next you could be working the closing shift. If you aren’t use to working fexible hours it could throw you off. But the job is a lot of fun and the customers are usually very kind.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks and strange hours
You do EVERYTHING for little pay, does not follow safety procedures
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJune 17, 2018
Only management is full time. They employ a small pool of managers then a large pool of part time employees to keep cost low, as only a very tiny portion of employees will receive benefits, hours, and higher wages.

You get paid minimum wage to do the job of a full-time employee at any other retail chain, only difference is you get less hours. You're not hired as just a cashier or stocker... you're hired as everything, just short of management duties.

At my store, it was one manager one employee per shift. Manager usually stays all day stocking/managing while one part-time employee cashiers, cleans, and tries to stock. You have to check someone out, but when the line is empty (called "down time" even though that implies a rest, which it isn't) RUN to try and stock, but you only ever get maybe 30 seconds to a minute to stock before you have to RUN back to register. If you don't notice a customer fast enough before a manager, they'll call you to the front which is sometimes humiliating because you now look rude to the customer. So, essentially, they have you doing two or three bad jobs at once for the bare minimum of a wage.

I also did not like how you only have a $3 limit to being short/over at the till. Most places allow $10 short/over. It's seriously not surprising the turn over rate is so high, because you go over $3 at least once a week or so. It's human nature; you miscount, or the customer gets angry and you just slip up trying to get them through. But do that 3 times, and you're fired. It's not practical.

My store did not follow safety protocols. I still don't
  more... know where fire exits or extinguishers are. At least 3-4 times a week the "break room" (one chair in a tiny corner of the store room next to a 1990's microwave, covered in trash) is blocked by piles and piles of heavy boxes. When not blocked, the "break room" is surrounded closely on all sides by leaning piles of boxes, one of which could topple and injure someone. Apparently you're supposed to do a monthly safety meeting, instead they have us just check a box online saying we did when we didn't.

Management is nice. But nice management doesn't make up for poor company ethics and practices.
Pros
Low wages, too much expected of one person, little to no help, outdated tech, can only be $3 short/over
Cons
Works around a schedule, experience, usually gives you days off if you give 2 week heads up, nice people
Not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clinton, SCJune 17, 2018
Under staffed and lack of strong management.. cannot complain to corporate because they don't listen to their employees. only if you're in management.
Only one cashier most of the time unless management knows the big boss is coming in, then she's right on key.. Management is slacking and disrespectful to employees
Dollar Tree
Dollar Tree (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLJune 17, 2018
typical day of working at a fast paste environment, I have learned how to deal with customers And how to interact with my fellow co-workers And also problem solving.
overall
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lufkin, TXJune 16, 2018
Dollar Tree is probably a great company to work for in the right place. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the customers, and knowing that they appreciate you being apart of Dollar Tree.
I enjoyed my job dearly...
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Lake Park, GAJune 16, 2018
I very much enjoyed my coworkers and awesome management!!! However, I believe that the management and employees of the company should have been compensated a bit more within a reasonable pay scale, due to the duties carried out by each worker...
can give experience where others wont
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJJune 16, 2018
Dollar tree is a starting experience opportunity, they could be more than just a numbers company one person means more than various numbers of employees, these values lead to more than can be imagined, and fewer lost then they plan or expect for. companies these days fail to have a crew who looks for those diamonds in a rough that nobody really looks for or recognizes and not taking them serious automatically loses that person will to love the company as thier own, imagine wawa it's to a point where you have to know somebody to get in, and people are fighting to get in with incentives they offer that other companies barley offer to higher management, thus you can grab 5 great people instead of 1 in a million, they are quick to point a finger at the lowest level employee because the higher ups are to busy pushing a dream which can make a company beautiful and great throughout time but while writing and assuming they are being followed without the hours and manpower needed for it to carry thru the correct way they forget to show it and give it to the people with a why and a explanation on why it's something that gives all a benefit even if for just the company he who values his job will except with open arms. why is it worth saving your job or losing a invaluable person to prove a point that higher positions dont have ties nor experience with those who actually create their ideas and make them possible those same ideas that those employees probably already created and enforced but will get no credit nor be excepted if that higher up has something to lose, who can do it better  more... then those on the field. life is very hard to devote it to a company that lives off hope instead of creating it, who's plans means machines products and dollars and not those who make it possible and save it for them and create the continuous chain of great versus last years tries  less
Pros
few great leaders, opportunity to grow and learn for future career or advancement
Cons
low pay for whats needed and demanded, small pipe line unless created by the few that love thier job
Not a good place for work
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 16, 2018
This company was a job that I enjoyed at first: As time went by my hours started disappearing, until I now work only five (5) hours a week at the rate of $9.30 with $1.00 of this being the night shift pay.
When I started working for this company I was getting around 20 hours per week. It cost my nearly as much in gas as I make now at 5 hours a week. The atmosphere has drastically changed over the past 5-6 months.
Work Experience
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Converse, TX 78109June 16, 2018
Training for loading and unloading merchandise.Stocking merchandise.Receiving Delivery and Checking merchandises.Arranging Stocks From isle to isle.Greeting customer service
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
not Enough Hours to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.

52.9K