Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, MDMay 22, 2018
It was a good experience to work there at dollar tree and i learned alot, how to become better and better everyday so, ill say it was a good job for me
Pros
Nice breaks
Cons
But short in staff
First job experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clarion, PAMay 22, 2018
This was my first job and it was not what I was expecting. The training for the job I had received was not very thorough which left me clueless at times, even when I would try to aid a customer. Management was in disarray when I was hired as the manager was on leave for personal reasons. This may have contributed to my lack of training.
trash
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winterville, NCMay 22, 2018
trash place to work. nobody cares about anything, management shows favoritism and they don't care about if anything is wrong with you or if anything personal is going on in your life. they talk about they business out loud in front of everyone.
Run
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 22, 2018
Too much work placed on the management. Starts employees out at $7.25 With a dime raise ever year, which places a lot of turn over on the stores. Payroll hours are too low for the amount of work and customers that are present. This is why everytime someone enters a dollar tree, they are usually a disaster.
Laidback workplace
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Hesperia, CAMay 21, 2018
I like the employees and the customers in that area. By the store has went down and hours are not good anymore im trying to find a second job now because this job is not enough for my living situation although i am blessed to have a job ,but need a better opportunity.
horrible place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 21, 2018
i would have to say that this is the worst place i have worked at. not only was the management horrible they all had mice or rats all infested in the stores
dollar tree great for a part time job
Store Stocking Clerk-Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Randallstown, MDMay 21, 2018
i learned at dollar tree you haft to work as a team at a fast pace and you can get the company taking to court if a customer was to slip an fall from a box that was on the floor from you stocking i also no that frozen foods must be stocked first also if you see a coworker stealing an report it you can get up to 1k on your check and to never let anyone in the back where the boxes and we have no restroom for customers.
Pros
30 min break payed for my own food
Cons
30 min breaks no healthcare
cashier
Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Allis, WI 53227May 21, 2018
I love working at dollar Tree but could get more pay and hours and early day time shifts. I know it is a dollar tree and that is not what they do put I wish they would try to work on try to do better
Pros
Cons
more pay and more early shift hours and work 8 hours also
Cashier
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, NYMay 21, 2018
I enjoyed working for dollar tree and had nice co-workers and managers to work with. I learned how to operate the cash register, build displays, and how to assist customers with returns. The workplace culture is diverse and unique. The hardest part of the job is performing at a quick pace and being able to satisfy all customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people every day.
Pros
Merchandising product
Cons
Encountering mean people at times.
terrible place to work
Stocker/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 21, 2018
unrealistic goal culture, terrible management skills, I'm a great worker and don't dilly dally, but when the quota is unrealistic and management is more concerned about a quota rather than looking at how hard a person is working, then there is something really wrong with a company like that, I don't mind hard work, which is why I too a position there, I wanted hard work to lose weight, which I did, but for $8.25 per hour, this company thinks you are a slave, they are completely out of touch with reality. I feel sorry for people that have to work there, they would so like to tell off dollar tree corporate and management, but some people are so afraid of losing there jobs, they won't really tell the truth, but how poor working conditions are. so sad.
Pros
Cons
ridiculous
poor management
Associate worker (Current Employee) –  Berwick, PAMay 21, 2018
terrible pay poorly hiring of management cannot get on first shift it will take 20 years to get that shift. not sure of hiring process for managers. but its not very good
Pros
free benefits
Switch
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bennington, VTMay 21, 2018
When I was employed at Dollar Tree I started out as a part time cashier and I worked my way up to an asst manager...I enjoyed the structure,the type of work etc
Pros
Never any down time, always busy
Cons
Wasn't able to get health coverage
My Review
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 21, 2018
My experience with dollar tree wasn't bad. If I gotten more hours and it wasn't bi-weekly I would've stood. It gets really busy and packed but its a great customer service job.
unhappy since the merger
Store display coordinator trainee (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 21, 2018
ever since dollar tree merged with family dollar things just got worse and worse we were expected to do alot more with a lot less hours and if it wasnt done it was up to the manager to complete
Pay is not great and customers can be rude
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 21, 2018
I came to work with the intention of being the best employee on the schedule and I did just that. I was attentive when on the register and worked to put merchandise out the fastest so I got a lot of hours
Pros
Chance to become manager
Cons
very low pay
The struggle is real
Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMay 21, 2018
Overworked and underpaid to say the least.
The worth of the job comes from customers and co-workers.
Dollar Tree is one of the lowest paying companies out there.
They take advantage of hard-workers and let those who lack effort or meet minimal job requirements get by with everything, knowing others will compensate for their lack of work.
Top-down, this company designs its policies to place the most pressure on the bottom tier of employees, while paying them poorly, and blasting them negatively, while never praising them positively.
It's a daily struggle that isn't worth the stress.
Apply somewhere else.
Pros
As with any retail, working with customers
Cons
Low pay, short breaks, negative environment
Productive but a bit slow
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kanawha City, WVMay 20, 2018
Overall being a cashier is easy at Dollar tree. Highly recommend for a first time job. All you have to do is maintain up front and your register, assist customers and maintain the balloon station. You don't have to worry about prices or price checks because everything is a dollar or less.
Pros
Easy going pace
Cons
Short breaks
Manager making everyone do her job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMay 20, 2018
SM, was not a good SM she wanted people to do her job plus other stuff, while she smoked, on phone with family members all time, etc. We weren't able to go home as our schedule said. She pointed us to the wrong direction.
Pros
Cashier and stocking was all I liked
Cons
Didn't get to take breaks had to work through them
Cashier
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 20, 2018
Great for second job.
worked there for 5 years. Would do it again if I was in a pinch for more money.
My manager was great. Had the same one during my tenure.
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 19, 2018
I enjoyed working at Dollar Tree. The managers were very understanding of my life circumstances and gaveme the time off I needed to get better. When I moved out of state the company transferred my employment.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
In the smaller stores there's not enough room for high volume sales

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.

52.8K