Devon Energy Employee Reviews

Review about Devon
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 11, 2018
Great benefits and comp but no work/life balance. My duties included:
 Managing the implementation of the largest and most critical program, which includes implementing an integrated solution replacing disparate systems used today for Geosciences application, saving Devon $2MM per year.
 Facilitated an attack team for the Capital Cost Reduction initiative, leading the team to a potential gross savings of $9.7 million.
 Develop a Benefit Realization process for PMs to manage the program and project budgets against delivered and realized benefits.
 Facilitated executive meetings, defined critical action plans and managed strategic level initiatives identified by this team.
Devon is going through a lot of changes. There is an identity crisis, to be a big company or a small. Overall, not a great place to work at the moment
Exploration Geologist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 11, 2018
Devon offers great training, benefits, and compensation. Aside from that, I lack to find positives. Too much management that has now authority to make decisions. No vision for the future. No accountability. Overall, a toxic culture to work in at the moment. Devon is stuck in between being a small company and a big company and doesn’t know what to do. Changes are implemented and then dropped in 6 months. They need to figure out a vision and stick to it.

Unless you have a good reason to be in Oklahoma City, I wouldn’t recommend working there for now.
Team Oriented and Productive
Field Admin Support (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXDecember 5, 2018
Team oriented
Would allow you to learn other aspects of Devon.
No question was considered stupid.
Direct Supervisors door was always open to anyone.
Great people in all areas of operation to work with.
Bad management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 29, 2018
If you're looking for a career where what you do actually matters to your manager don't work here. They layoff people continually due to the poor choices of executives.
Very Conservative
Intern (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 28, 2018
Devon Energy is all talk when it comes to any diversity and inclusion program. Be careful not to speak too much of your mind if you're more liberal. They come off as cool and innovative, but it's going to be several years before things really start to change for the better around there.
Pros
The gym
Cons
Upper management is hard to please
I loved it.
Regulatory Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 27, 2018
Loved working for Devon. Has many perks for employees, but I was offered a job with a much higher salary elsewhere. The department I was in was not competitive salary-wise to other companies, but if I had a chance to work there again, I would take it. I left on good terms with the company.
Pros
Too many to list!
Cons
Lower salary in my department than other companies.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 7, 2018
Devon Canada is a great place to work. In my opinion, it's one of the few places that lives up to its values and the people working there largely reflect those values.
Great place to work.
Automation Technician III (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXNovember 6, 2018
It was a great experience. Team oriented atmosphere. I would work for Devon again.Motivational incentives in form of bonuses on annual review. Great PTO, and health plan.
Pros
Great upper management
Cons
Our production field was sold to another producer.
Great people a safe culture
Lease Operator (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WY/Bill, WYNovember 3, 2018
Great place to work, safe, productive and fun. Great management, excellent co-workers. Excellent compensation packages with PTO, Healthcare coverage, vision, dental and wellness incentives.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
Slow advancement
Stable job with a great company
Lease Operator (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, okNovember 1, 2018
As a production operator at Devon you maintain production of oil and natural gas wells and attend many safety meetings which can be boring sometimes and very informative other times.
Pros
Too many to list, if you can think it they probably have it
Cons
Very little oversight on lower management, hire on promises may not be kept.
Devon Energy
Accountant Professional Expenditures (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 31, 2018
I only worked at Devon as Temp in their Accounting Department. From what I could tell from the short period I was there was that as it is in the oil and gas industry there are frequent layoffs or rearrangement of personnel. Pay is not what it should be for a company the size of Devon.
Pros
Decent Work Life Balance Depends on Supervisor and Management in your Dept
Cons
Lack of job security. Pay is moderate for most employees
Productive and rewarding
Land Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2018
Work load well balanced between work, family and community involvement. Co-workers encouraged one another and pulled together to efficiently complete projects. Management open to new ideas, easy to speak with concerning work environment and project suggestions.
Pros
Community oriented, health fitness club, flex hours
Utter Kaos
Lease Operator III (Former Employee) –  Wetaherford, OkOctober 20, 2018
Devon May be a leader in their pier group corporately, however their field locations are 5 to 10 years behind competitors in safety, processes, and design of facilities. No one at the field location I worked in was interested in any type of improvement unless it came from corporate level. In the last couple years I worked there no one could suggest, help, or get any type help without it being turned into a negative. , Have been with 3 majors in my 25 years and this was the best paying but the most miserable culture I have ever been a part of. Safety has suffered in the current restructuring, they have had 2 big preventable environmental spills, 3 major injuries and a fire at a facility. Safety is yours to manage because they wont. We talk about it a lot but nobody is responsible for anything.
Pros
Salary
Cons
To many to list
Intensely Focused Enterprise
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 18, 2018
My experience was not typical due to low oil prices and downsizing. Whole departments and floors experienced layoffs. The atmosphere was tense and as too often the blame-game creates a culture of fear. It is the nature of the industry.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Depends on market and polotics
Okay Place to Work
SAP Data Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Cuero, TXOctober 16, 2018
It was an ok place to work with decent compensation but overall the work environment and constant worry about having a job the next week was too much stress. Devon is not the place to work if you plan on working somewhere to retire at.
Very productive and learning new programs constantly
Geological Geophysical Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2018
I loved my job, everyday was a challenge and something different, so I was never bored. I enjoyed working with the professional Geologists and Geophysicists. My job could be described as a Technical Administrative Assistant. I worked with various data loading software programs and extracted and loaded to those programs. The challenge was each program had it's own format, so I had to edit data to load for each software program. I mostly worked for VP of Exploration and created many displays for management meetings using the data in various ways.
Pros
Cons
No Part-Time positions
Great
Lead Desktop Analyst Field (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2018
Great place to work. You were given the opportunity to advance into other areas. Minimal Travel. Management was great.Workplace culture was great, and great people to work with
Sstems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 4, 2018
Enjoyed every minute working at Devon! The people are great and very friendly.. Great opportunities to advance in learning and career/personal development.. Awesome wellness programs as well.
Productive Campus-style workplace
Community Affairs Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 27, 2018
The culture and focus on community is second to none at Devon Energy. From the mail room to the executive floors, everyone does their part to ensure a top-notch operating environment.
Very Good Management
PMO, Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 23, 2018
Company feels like a major corporation but is really a small company. I would recommend you have experience when working for Devon. People really know their job here.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Layoffs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Devon Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2