Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Found 143 reviews matching the search See all 5,208 reviews
Poor Management
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  5th floorAugust 21, 2019
Ever since Senior Management changed at the beginning of 2019, the Fresno VA has changed immensely. They are not interested in your ideas and do not share what is going on. The providers are always right following the example of the Chief of Staff. Whatever you do, do not disagree with the doctors and do not point out any errors they make. It is a constant battle with them to be bothered to care for the Veterans. Just getting the providers to wash their hands turns into a major battle with incredible vindictiveness, especially the Chief of Surgery. Not a safe place to practice nursing.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
lack of teamwork, poor physician coverage and oversight
Good relationship with team
RN SPECIALTY CARE (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 19, 2019
Some great hard working co-workers! It has been quite an eye opener working for the VA. Management is in need of great attention as turn-over is rather high across all lines.
Do not know how to treat veteran employees
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Staff, InpatientAugust 3, 2019
They easily fire veteran employees without thinking twice about it. They are quick to be prejudice and biased most of the time. The management needs an overhaul. You do not even know who they are most of the time because they never visit their employees on the floor.
I love providing care for veterans and is great place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 7, 2019
There are great people to work with; great support. Providing excellent care to our nation's veterans is a great opportunity for me.
Excellent pair support.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Long time to be hired
Two Year Probation
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 26, 2019
A licensed new employee should be aware that you are on Section 38 probation for a period of two years. You can be dismissed without cause for any reason during this period.

A word to the wise is always sufficient.
Cons
Section 38 Probation
enjoyed my short time there
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMay 13, 2019
I found other nurses to be supportive, opportunities for advancement and learning. The only reason that I left was that I developed cancer during my probationary period.
Pros
satisfaction in serving our military
Cons
productive and fun place to work in.
RN (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 24, 2019
Great place to work and excellent leadership. Professionalism and respectful environment. I love working here , I enjoy interacting with veterans and providing great costumer service.
Pros
carreer advancement
Cons
n/a
A good place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 22, 2019
It is a great learning environment, exposed to a lot of different cultures. Flexible working hours. Great benefits and co-workers with competitive salaries.
Not a happy place to work.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 6, 2019
The culture is dismal. Staff is undervalued. Leadership is dishonest. The computer system/EMR is horribly outdated and a barrier to efficient, safe care delivery.
Pros
Pay and benefits are good.
Cons
Bad leadership, oppressive work environment, antiquated computer system
Benefits can't be beat
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 31, 2019
I like the benefits that the VA has. The VA also has retirement plan. There is no fee to park in the employee garage. I like the electronic charting. I love serving the veterans.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
No flexibility in hours
Horrible management. Terrible bullying.
RN (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 6, 2019
Not a place for anyone with ideas, enthusiasm, or a desire to provide the best patient care possible. Nurses who have been there for years sit at the desk playing games on their phones all day, managers are AWOL evenings, weekends, and holidays. Nurses and even CNAs bully coworkers, support staff and even patients. Management is aware, but never does a thing to stop the bullying problem. Good people leave in seek of better management and more supportive coworkers. Complacency and doing the minimum are the status quo. And if you are motivated or enthusiastic the clique of long-time burnouts who have been there forever and want to do as little as possible will eat you alive and make every day miserable until you quit.

A great place to learn if you are a new nurse, but get out after a year.
Pros
Good place to learn, paid vacation, paid holidays
Cons
8 hou shifts require 5 days a week of full time=horrible work/life balance, bullying, awful management
Great benefits and vast opportunity for advancement
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 4, 2019
Caring for the Veteran population is very rewarding. The health system is very complex and at times, very frustrating. As with any health system, some areas are exceptional and some areas are below standard.
Same Nurse Professional Standards Board
RN (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXDecember 20, 2018
The Nurse Professional Standards Board decides your salary. There are 2 or 3 nurses that have been on this same board for over 20 years. One of them I knew from previous employment at another facility before either of us began work at the VA.
I have been an RN for almost 30 years, worked very hard to gain lots of experience at different hospitals, and in different areas of the hospital. When I applied at the VA, I was shocked that after spending hours gathering documentation and entering it all into their gigantic application; and after a grueling telephone interview with a very unqualified interviewer, to discover I would be making more than $13,000 less than the lowest stated rate of pay, despite all my years of experience. I would be making about the same as a new LVN. When I asked the HR director how this could be, that is when I discovered that a group of nurses had decided my pay rate. If I had known this, I wouldn't have even bothered spending countless hours gathering required documentation and entering it into the system. Ridiculous. After about a year, I left for a better paying job. Fast forward 6 years. I decided to apply for yet another job at the same VA facility, in hopes of the pay being fair this time, only to discover I would be offered the exact same amount as the last time. I also discovered that the same nurse was on the 'board' that decides pay rates. This is not a professional standards board at all, but rather a chance for a contemptuous nurse to decide my pay and influence the others on this 'board' to offer a ridiculously low pay rate once again.
  more... Other nurses with even less experience were making more than $20,000 over my pay rate. But there is nothing you can do about it. You would think that these nurses would be rotated out and others offered a chance to be on this review board, but unfortunately, that is not the case. The shame of it is, I am an excellent nurse and I bring lots of experience to the table, and I was so so excited to work at the VA and with the veteran population and give back to the brave men and women who served our country, I just wasn't offered that opportunity because I needed to be paid for my years of hard work and dedication. Instead, the same contemptuous nurse still resides on the 'board' that decides my pay fate. So, there you have it.
The manager of the area I was assigned, although nice, was poorly prepared to manage certain duties, and thus did not do so very well. I am certain that she was making a good deal of money for it though.
Pros
Working with veteran population
Cons
Poor salary despite experience
Good
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CANovember 13, 2018
Good place to work. Great benefits. Thrift Savings plan with 1-1 matching. FSA pre-tax. Sick and vacation times and COLA benefits. Management works well with their employees.
This is a great place to have a long term career.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 13, 2018
I love taking care of our Veterans, and have had great career advancement opportunities at the VA. I have been promoted, and also received a scholarship for my BSN.
Pros
The benefits are amazing and unbeatable.
Cons
There is not the shift flexibility that the private sector has.
Poor care
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20011November 1, 2018
12 hour shifts
Workplace is cut throat with scant educational and management support. Nurses usually provide primary nursing. Compressed work schedule and federal benefits best aspects
Overall okay
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 27, 2018
Has helped me with my career overall. A good resume builder, management is awful, pay is awful, staffing is inadequate, benefits are not as great as you would think as they changed the retirement system a few years ago. Great for a new nurse to build nursing skills.
Fun and Loving work place
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MS 39531October 10, 2018
Work for the VA is a wonderful experience. I love take care of the veterans and making sure they feel like they are home. Our goal at the VA to take care of the veterans as they serve for our country.
Horrible management!!!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 25, 2018
A place where I lost most skills, lacked autonomy, and was guided by residents who had recently finished their basic training. Only a handful of attendings had a bit of knowledge. There existed little comradery between the different shifts, days vs. nights. Usually, the weakest nurses would try to outdo the ones with more knowledge by badmouthing them in front of doctors and managers. Management seemed nonexistent. When patients did poorly, usually due to poor medical care or preexisting conditions, the nurses were blamed for the matter. The hardest part of the job was trying to get patients to survive where there existed such lack of knowledge all around. Only a few nurses really knew and understood the concept of good patient care. On a rare occasion, a well-trained resident from Jackson would be on duty. A plus included the supervisors who didn't disturb the staff like they do in other hospitals. Floating all over the hospital, while short-staffing the home unit, was a big problem.
Pros
Benefits and salaries.
Cons
Too much favoritism!!!
Horrible dysfunctional management
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLSeptember 4, 2018
Management concentrates on picky details while forgetting the big overall picture - they are puniative and child like. On the way to being privatized.
Pros
Salary and benefits and work hours
Cons
Horrible managent - particularly in nursing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K