Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Horrible dysfunctional management
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLSeptember 4, 2018
Management concentrates on picky details while forgetting the big overall picture - they are puniative and child like. On the way to being privatized.
Pros
Salary and benefits and work hours
Cons
Horrible managent - particularly in nursing
Challenging, fast paced environment
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Augusta, ME 04330August 13, 2018
Typical Day may include, but is not limited to:
*checking-in patients including VS, medications, chief complaint, & health reminders.
*Follow up with 3-4 patients on HTN, DM, Med. changes with education provided
*Assessment of walk-in patients & fielding to appropriate care
*Telephone triage and follow-ups care
*Chaperoning portions of physical exams
*Sorting paperwork from outside providers for physicians
* Follow up on tests and results from outside providers

I learned to multitask, organize and prioritize my time.
Most enjoyable was working with the veterns.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Always short staffed
Job Review
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJuly 23, 2018
Loved taking care of our veterans.
Excellent compensation and benefits. Tons of opportunity for career advancement.
Competitive salary.

However, always understaffed. More focused on collection of data via charting than provided enough hands-on staff to care for our veterans better.
Miserable place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJuly 16, 2018
Terrible middle and senior management. Uptight nurses and managers engaging in childish bullying behavior which drives out great nurses and leaves incompetence in their place. There are certainly great staff at the VA caring for our nations veterans, but it was not my experience. If you are an RN, lay low and try not to say anything to anyone for 2 years.
Benefits
Cons
bullying
stable employment
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJuly 9, 2018
Benefits were great. Management could use an upgrade. all in all had a wonderful experience helping the nations veterans. I wouldn't trade the experience.
Pros
benefits, stability
Cons
management
Would not recommend
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJJune 24, 2018
Care Manager East Orange NJ. Would not recommend. The management and upper management is poor. There is no room for advancement even if you have your Master's degree. If you have only your Bachelor's you will be at the bottom of the ladder and will not be able to advance and will be required to have the Master's degree. You are not vested in the pension unless you have been there 5+ years.
There is a 2 year probation period.
The manager's will write you up for minor mishaps without any coaching on their end yet they will promote themselves at the expense of their staff.
The benefits are good if you can stick out working at a mundane job for an extended period of time.
It is not a place for professional nurses.
benefits
Cons
management
Ok place to work
Intermittent Registered Staff nurse (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAJune 23, 2018
It's an alright place to work
Management is poor
Benefits are great
You fight your own battles
Old eat the new
Staffing, staff to patient is great making work easier
it was fun
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 12, 2018
Learn a lot of skills. Enjoyed working with the soldiers and try to help them be independent. I enjoyed the staff and wonderful employees there. They are positive and helpful
Pros
Meeting soldiers
Cons
It was too far to drive
Nursing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 30, 2018
Department provided good teamwork and professional working environment. Provided encouragement to obtain additional job related education. Provided opportunities for growth in education.
Pros
Team work
great place
RN (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, SDApril 26, 2018
Very difficult to get into the VA. It is a small, cliquey environment. Many days are filled with meetings with no time to work. Management is changing however, and may be promising to move the VA forward and eliminate stagnicity.
Pros
pay
Cons
management
description of teamwork
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 29, 2018
The job include flexibility, job security, and an atmosphere of team work from all staff members of secretary, nurses, and physicians. I enjoyed teaching the patients how to use mechanical equipments.
Benefits
Cons
Unscheduled appointmens
great lerning experience
Veteran Centered Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 27, 2018
Most time it is busy. Management is fair in decision making. Work environment is diverse and it is a non hostile environment. Work load could be overwhelming at time.
Review for VA
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Med/surgMarch 21, 2018
Depending on the unit, can be slow paced. Will lose critical care skills. I have learned the physicians are reactive, not proactive. Management is concerned with a number scale for staffing without acuity considerations. Writing up coworker, physicians and other staff is a priority for workers unfortunately. There is not staff to staff problem solving skills. High school may best describe the environment. No short/long term disability available. Many days of no lunches and unwillingness to pay overtime if necessary to protect your license. The positive aspect is more paid holidays than other medical facilities.
VA West Haven
Registered Nurse G4W (Former Employee) –  West Haven, CTMarch 9, 2018
I enjoyed working at the West Haven VA on G4W. I learned a lot, amazing patient population. Great nurse manager. It was my first nursing job. Good team work. Down side, a lot of complete care patients and heavy lifting.
Pros
great pay and generous vacation and sick time
Cons
heavy lifting
productive and loyal
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dallas texasMarch 8, 2018
Amazing place to work. Provides great care to Veterans. veterans feel they are appreciated here. The benefits are excellent. Work hours are flexible. Centralized location.
Pros
awesome benefits
Cons
Buildings could use a makeover
Love working for the VA
RN (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 4, 2018
I have worked as an RN for the VA multiple states and specialty areas. It is a great place to work with fair wages and excellent benefits. I feel my work load is fair and I have the needed tools to do my job. I get along well with my coworkers. I feel my supervisor is available to me for any needs. I am proud to Serve those who have Served.
Pros
wages, benefits, job security, peers
Cons
takes a long time for the interview and hiring process
Poor management, amazing co-workers
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAFebruary 22, 2018
Management on the CLC very poor, fear based management system, guilty until proven innocent. Not able to transfer to other positions easily or at all. Lots of mandatory overtime. You can be mandated to work 16 hours then are expected to return within 8 hours for the next shift. No 12 hr shifts, all 8 hr shifts with mandatory overtime thrown in. You feel like you live there.
Pros
Vacation time, benefits, discounts, co-workers
Cons
Mandatory overtime, can't use your vacation time when you want, seniority system for vacation, management poor and quick to blame and use floor employees as scapegoat.
Rewarding and challenging
Night shift Staff Nurse in Domiciliary and PTSD (Current Employee) –  Fort Thomas, KYFebruary 22, 2018
It is a great place to work. Rewarding to care for fellow Veterans
that have served our country. Unfortunately some individuals have been here so long they take duties for granted and it seems challenging at best to get rid of or hold such individuals accountable.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
Poor accountability
great benefits
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 20, 2018
A great place to work simply because it allows me to give back to my nation's hero's. Otherwise, management is difficult to work with. They refuse to allow you advancement within the company. Personally, they made it very impossible for me to work and go to school, therefore forcing me to quit, losing 10 years of seniority in this company.
Pros
the mission
Cons
management, no ability for advancement
Just don't do it
Staff RN - Care Coordination (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2018
Toxic culture, many of the managers are crooked and it is very political they do what ever it takes for them to bonus without regard to veterans or human life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K