Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

it was fun
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 12, 2018
Learn a lot of skills. Enjoyed working with the soldiers and try to help them be independent. I enjoyed the staff and wonderful employees there. They are positive and helpful
Pros
Meeting soldiers
Cons
It was too far to drive
great place
RN (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, SDApril 26, 2018
Very difficult to get into the VA. It is a small, cliquey environment. Many days are filled with meetings with no time to work. Management is changing however, and may be promising to move the VA forward and eliminate stagnicity.
Pros
pay
Cons
management
description of teamwork
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 29, 2018
The job include flexibility, job security, and an atmosphere of team work from all staff members of secretary, nurses, and physicians. I enjoyed teaching the patients how to use mechanical equipments.
Benefits
Cons
Unscheduled appointmens
great lerning experience
Veteran Centered Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 27, 2018
Most time it is busy. Management is fair in decision making. Work environment is diverse and it is a non hostile environment. Work load could be overwhelming at time.
Review for VA
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Med/surgMarch 21, 2018
Depending on the unit, can be slow paced. Will lose critical care skills. I have learned the physicians are reactive, not proactive. Management is concerned with a number scale for staffing without acuity considerations. Writing up coworker, physicians and other staff is a priority for workers unfortunately. There is not staff to staff problem solving skills. High school may best describe the environment. No short/long term disability available. Many days of no lunches and unwillingness to pay overtime if necessary to protect your license. The positive aspect is more paid holidays than other medical facilities.
VA West Haven
Registered Nurse G4W (Former Employee) –  West Haven, CTMarch 9, 2018
I enjoyed working at the West Haven VA on G4W. I learned a lot, amazing patient population. Great nurse manager. It was my first nursing job. Good team work. Down side, a lot of complete care patients and heavy lifting.
Pros
great pay and generous vacation and sick time
Cons
heavy lifting
productive and loyal
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dallas texasMarch 8, 2018
Amazing place to work. Provides great care to Veterans. veterans feel they are appreciated here. The benefits are excellent. Work hours are flexible. Centralized location.
Pros
awesome benefits
Cons
Buildings could use a makeover
Love working for the VA
RN (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 4, 2018
I have worked as an RN for the VA multiple states and specialty areas. It is a great place to work with fair wages and excellent benefits. I feel my work load is fair and I have the needed tools to do my job. I get along well with my coworkers. I feel my supervisor is available to me for any needs. I am proud to Serve those who have Served.
Pros
wages, benefits, job security, peers
Cons
takes a long time for the interview and hiring process
Poor management, amazing co-workers
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAFebruary 22, 2018
Management on the CLC very poor, fear based management system, guilty until proven innocent. Not able to transfer to other positions easily or at all. Lots of mandatory overtime. You can be mandated to work 16 hours then are expected to return within 8 hours for the next shift. No 12 hr shifts, all 8 hr shifts with mandatory overtime thrown in. You feel like you live there.
Pros
Vacation time, benefits, discounts, co-workers
Cons
Mandatory overtime, can't use your vacation time when you want, seniority system for vacation, management poor and quick to blame and use floor employees as scapegoat.
Rewarding and challenging
Night shift Staff Nurse in Domiciliary and PTSD (Current Employee) –  Fort Thomas, KYFebruary 22, 2018
It is a great place to work. Rewarding to care for fellow Veterans
that have served our country. Unfortunately some individuals have been here so long they take duties for granted and it seems challenging at best to get rid of or hold such individuals accountable.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
Poor accountability
great benefits
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 20, 2018
A great place to work simply because it allows me to give back to my nation's hero's. Otherwise, management is difficult to work with. They refuse to allow you advancement within the company. Personally, they made it very impossible for me to work and go to school, therefore forcing me to quit, losing 10 years of seniority in this company.
Pros
the mission
Cons
management, no ability for advancement
Just don't do it
Staff RN - Care Coordination (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2018
Toxic culture, many of the managers are crooked and it is very political they do what ever it takes for them to bonus without regard to veterans or human life.
Productive and Fulfilling job serving the Veterans of our nation
STAFF NURSE IN FEE BASIS (Current Employee) –  Bonham, TexasFebruary 6, 2018
I work at the greatest place and for the best and most deserving people on this earth, Veterans! I have been employed by the VA for more than 27 years and have loved most of my time there. I have the privilege of caring for those that have born the burden and their families and truly believe in what I do.
Pros
great hours, wonderful patients and coworkers, and pension plan that you cannot get anywhere else.
Cons
Occassionally dangerous due to Veterans with mental illness.
Great place to work.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 31, 2018
The team I work with is superb.
Our leadership is superb. They care about their employees.
Real servant leaders here.
I learn new things every day.
The culture promotes change, sometimes it takes time.
The hardest part of the job is political aspects of the system extending beyond our facility.
Most enjoyable part of the job is our Veterans!
Busy med/surg floor
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 18, 2018
Poorly understaffed at times w/ high acuity patients. Great co-workers who work together making the shifts tolerable. It is a pleasure to serve our Veterans and provide optimum care, however little support from upper management.
Pros
Retirement benefits
Cons
Poor advancement opportunities
benefits
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 14, 2018
In my concern this is a great place to work for young graduate. It has great educational benefit packages and retirement benefits. Great as a teaching hospital.
benefits
Cons
fast pace
I love my job, just not my coworkers sometimes
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 15, 2017
I love working with the Veterans, but sometimes coworkers or management can make work unbearable. You have to jump through loops to get a pay raise and it seems promotions are done based on who you know and not what you know or how educated you are.
Pros
Benefits!
Cons
Management, Difficulty with lateral mobilization, Difficulty getting pay raises
Incompetent management
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 4, 2017
This place is a laid back place for lazy people especially the management folks. These folks can care less about veterans. They talk a good talk about quality but they do not care. It’s all a game to them. The VA has re$ource$ to be better than most hospitals but unfortunately the money is wasted on these useless on the job job retirees with no real vision. Sad!
Pros
Laid back environment where you can be lazy or work hard if you want to. Management is useless.
Cons
Incompetent management
Poor pay/benefits
PACT RN (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 27, 2017
Poor management, bad compensation, loved helping our nation's hero's. Short staffed for nurses, management doesnt care how much work you do as long as you get it done. No overtime paid
Pros
Good time off
Great pay, but corrupt
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MANovember 15, 2017
As a veteran I get good care at the VA, but as an employee you are treated less than human. There is racism, bullying, discrimination and no one blinks an eye.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Corrupt to the core

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K