Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Rewarding and challenging
Night shift Staff Nurse in Domiciliary and PTSD (Current Employee) –  Fort Thomas, KYFebruary 22, 2018
It is a great place to work. Rewarding to care for fellow Veterans
that have served our country. Unfortunately some individuals have been here so long they take duties for granted and it seems challenging at best to get rid of or hold such individuals accountable.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
Poor accountability
great benefits
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 20, 2018
A great place to work simply because it allows me to give back to my nation's hero's. Otherwise, management is difficult to work with. They refuse to allow you advancement within the company. Personally, they made it very impossible for me to work and go to school, therefore forcing me to quit, losing 10 years of seniority in this company.
Pros
the mission
Cons
management, no ability for advancement
Just don't do it
Staff RN - Care Coordination (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2018
Toxic culture, many of the managers are crooked and it is very political they do what ever it takes for them to bonus without regard to veterans or human life.
Productive and Fulfilling job serving the Veterans of our nation
STAFF NURSE IN FEE BASIS (Current Employee) –  Bonham, TexasFebruary 6, 2018
I work at the greatest place and for the best and most deserving people on this earth, Veterans! I have been employed by the VA for more than 27 years and have loved most of my time there. I have the privilege of caring for those that have born the burden and their families and truly believe in what I do.
Pros
great hours, wonderful patients and coworkers, and pension plan that you cannot get anywhere else.
Cons
Occassionally dangerous due to Veterans with mental illness.
Great place to work.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 31, 2018
The team I work with is superb.
Our leadership is superb. They care about their employees.
Real servant leaders here.
I learn new things every day.
The culture promotes change, sometimes it takes time.
The hardest part of the job is political aspects of the system extending beyond our facility.
Most enjoyable part of the job is our Veterans!
Busy med/surg floor
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 18, 2018
Poorly understaffed at times w/ high acuity patients. Great co-workers who work together making the shifts tolerable. It is a pleasure to serve our Veterans and provide optimum care, however little support from upper management.
Pros
Retirement benefits
Cons
Poor advancement opportunities
benefits
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 14, 2018
In my concern this is a great place to work for young graduate. It has great educational benefit packages and retirement benefits. Great as a teaching hospital.
benefits
Cons
fast pace
I love my job, just not my coworkers sometimes
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 15, 2017
I love working with the Veterans, but sometimes coworkers or management can make work unbearable. You have to jump through loops to get a pay raise and it seems promotions are done based on who you know and not what you know or how educated you are.
Pros
Benefits!
Cons
Management, Difficulty with lateral mobilization, Difficulty getting pay raises
Incompetent management
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 4, 2017
This place is a laid back place for lazy people especially the management folks. These folks can care less about veterans. They talk a good talk about quality but they do not care. It’s all a game to them. The VA has re$ource$ to be better than most hospitals but unfortunately the money is wasted on these useless on the job job retirees with no real vision. Sad!
Pros
Laid back environment where you can be lazy or work hard if you want to. Management is useless.
Cons
Incompetent management
Poor pay/benefits
PACT RN (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 27, 2017
Poor management, bad compensation, loved helping our nation's hero's. Short staffed for nurses, management doesnt care how much work you do as long as you get it done. No overtime paid
Pros
Good time off
Cons

Want to know more about Department of Veterans Affairs?

Ask a question
Great pay, but corrupt
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MANovember 15, 2017
As a veteran I get good care at the VA, but as an employee you are treated less than human. There is racism, bullying, discrimination and no one blinks an eye.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Corrupt to the core
Typical day at work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 28, 2017
The culture of the VA was different than any other company that I have been employed. The environment was typically stressful and there is room for improvement.
Great place for stability
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hinesville, GAOctober 23, 2017
Culture is what you make of it; if you put in the time and effort, you will achieve what you want within the system. Sometimes you just have to accept although you get the position you want, it may not be where you wanted in terms of geography.
Great mission
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 17, 2017
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my veterans. I had to however, leave my position after 10 years of service in the VA because upper level management would not work with me while I advanced my degree.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
Workplace culture
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 3, 2017
Horrible management and leadership. The most enjoyable part of the job is taking care of disabled veterans from all branches of military. the hardest part of the job is promoting change.
Multicultural work environment with a great team of health care employees who care for the veterans.
RN (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 27, 2017
I enjoy working in this facility. My day at work starts at 0730 with shift huddle followed by bedside shift report, patient assessment, medication administration, documentation, meeting with families and multidisciplinary teams, and other routine works. As the day progresses, I take care of admissions of new patients and discharging patients. These are some of the events over the course of a typical day.

I would describe my current workplace culture as multicultural, with people of numerous cultures work together to make a wonderful working environment.

The hardest part of my job is the commuting issues from Fort worth to Dallas. The times of train services have changed recently, which has made my commuting to work difficult.

I work with a great team of people who care for the veterans who served and protected their nation.
satisfying work as a nurse
RN Care Coordination Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 6, 2017
schedule home care and hospice for all veterans from Austin to Laredo. I receive orders from the physician, review insurance eligibility and then find an agency willing to take the patient for the services ordered
Cons
onl 30 min lunch
Best place I've worked
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Patient CareSeptember 3, 2017
Best pay and work environment I've had in my 25 years, you are treated as a professional It's not perfect but is doesn't suffer any problem not found elsewhere.
Pros
No micromanagers
Cons
perks not allowed
great place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 23, 2017
Great benefits! It was a great place to work. No one is more worthy of great care than our Veteran's and that seemed to be at the heard of the VA health system.
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
RN (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 4, 2017
Culture shock compared to civilian hospitals. Can be a great deal of fun as you work with nearly as many vets as you care for. NOT for withering violets - must be as sturdy & stubborn as a weed. Outstanding benefits. No scrub restrictions is a plus. Learn a lot about PTSD that you probably never knew. Management EXTREMELY corrupt - retaliation a given. NEVER speak with ANY member of management without a witness. There are at least 10 recognized holidays,depending on the year, with double pay if you work them, 8 hr regular pay if you choose to be off.
Pros
Autonomy / Benefits / Patients / Ability to have fun
Cons
Management / Corruption / Administration / Retaliation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K