Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Program Assistant

Good Overall
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 29, 2017
Good Overall lack of advancement opportunities forces many to seek other employment. The culture is positive and supports the overall mission of helping Veterans.
Career Advancement
Program Support Assistant OA (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2017
When you work at VA, you will have a comfortable salary, career opportunities, comprehensive benefits and great work/life balance, just like the private sector. The opportunity to serve Veterans
Pros
Serving others
Cons
No complaints
Toxic Environment
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92161November 8, 2017
I am sure that other departments within the Department of Veterans Affairs is a great place to work and strive to excel. In the department I worked in it was a very toxic environment. Everyone in the section has been trying to leave to another section or department since they have been there. The leadership was very strict and had no room for flexibility.
Pros
It is federal employment so you can retire, you can also buy back your active duty service if you do plan to retire from he federal government.
Cons
Short breaks, short lunches, no flexibility, parking situation sucks right now.
Great for Vets
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32827October 24, 2017
The VA is a wonderful place for vets to work as long as you are not too ambitious or money hungry. The wheels can churn slowly as far as advancement is concerned.
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 24, 2017
Working on the Director's staff was enjoyable. A great team to be a part of. Learned a lot about Strategic Planning while there. My boss was more of a mentor type and gave me many projects that challenged me and taught me more skills on how to work with upper level executives and other departments.

A relaxed atmosphere to work in and other staff were great. Like a family.
Admistrative work
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PROctober 10, 2017
All type of administrative work included customer service, purchasing, travel vouchers, payroll, filing all of manuals and update hospital regulatio
Best career Path
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32827September 26, 2017
I'm a veteran so thats one of the reasons why I wanted to work for the Veterans Affair. It's nothing like still serving the veterans and putting smile on their faces.
under educated managers who are unprofesional and rarely at work.
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 24, 2017
Management struggled with English speaking, and writing, underqualified to perform their job duties. Unprofessional in conduct, behavior, and demeanor. Took large amounts of time off for themselves but were uncompassionate about employee work life balance.
great place to work
Program Support Assistant/ Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PA 17601September 6, 2017
The Department of Veterans Affairs has been around for a long time and has helped so many veterans and their families. they continuously show that they care.
Good place
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 24, 2017
A place to grow in professional skills and upward positions available.
Enjoy helping veterans with health care needs. Often patients were very thankful for all the work done for their needs.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Not enough time in the day to complete task
Fun place to work
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 23, 2017
Everyone worked together well. Always had different things to get done or different projects to be involved with. Recommend to anyone who was in the military and misses it !!!
Great people, great work.
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIAugust 5, 2017
I enjoy the people I work with and the opportunity to help veterans. The only negative I can say is there is not a great career ladder, it is very difficult to move up through the years in this career field. I am looking to work in a warmer climate than Wisconsin.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Cold climate
Great atmosphere and great staff
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVJuly 9, 2017
My typical day working for the Department of Veterans Affairs consisted of me basically making a disgruntled veterans that walked into my office, a non disgruntled and much happier veteran.
Pros
working with veterans
Cons
not enough hours in the day
Developed material for supervisor and provided support to patient advocate in the field office with patient inquires.
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 5, 2017
Addressed Complaints passed through the Board of Veterans Appeals Management and Administration hotline.

Learned the importance of veterans serving our country.

The hardest part of my job was learning and hearing about the impact of veterans life serving our country.

The most enjoyable part of my job knowing that I providing outstanding service, and was able to calm a situation when a veteran wasn't getting the help that he needed.
Pros
Helping veterans
PSA postion
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2017
A typical day consist of; trouble shooting calls, Reminder calls, and data entry for three different programs. I learned how the Telehealh program works. The hardest part of the job was the amount of time in front of the computer.
Pros
Being able to earn paid time off
Cons
Advancement in some departments is scarce
Very help co-workers
Program Support Assistant (NPWE) (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 24, 2017
A typical day consist of updating the daily attendance roster, ensure all the appropriate forms the Legal Assistant Specialist use are fully stocked, all printers are operating properly, any administrative is completed. Check emails from the work at home Legal Assistant Specialist, print out the documents and prepare them properly for the mailroom. Conduct inventory of supplies and prepare the necessary forms to order all shortages need in the National Call Center.
Pros
relaxed wook enviroment, good hours, helping Veterans
Cons
N/a
Needs dedicated professionals
Pathways Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 21, 2017
Needs dedicated professionals who care about the employees and not just the paycheck. There are many great nurses in the hospital, but the atmosphere can seem a bit harsh at times.
Pros
awesome employees and patients
Cons
lack of communication and compliments to staff
Professionalism and quality care for veterans
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 16, 2017
The VA Medical Center is one of the finest institutions I have had to honor and pleasure to serve. The staff of 3,000 plus individuals are dedicated to the care of veterans.
Nice Agency to Work For
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 10, 2017
Enjoyed Management, working with the Team and various training that were provided. Room for Growth and was always encouraged to ask questions. chose to leave and relocated back to Atlanta, GA due family emergency.
Pros
Very Nice Place To Work
Cons
Have nothing negative to say about the agency
VA review
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 8, 2017
The VA Hospital is a great place to work. They have great benefits including leave benefits. With the VA there are numerous ways to improve yourself and move up within the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.