Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Program Assistant

Found 174 reviews matching the search See all 5,376 reviews
Wonderful work environment
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 10, 2019
Incredible department to work for and people to work with. The workplace culture is inviting and they take an interest in your career success. I would love to go back and work in the field that I have a degree for specifically.
Work with Veterans, Decent Benefits
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLSeptember 1, 2019
High stress! If you love working with those who served our country and would like to work non-stop and independently with minimal appreciation from Management, this may be the job for you! High turnover due to many employees who are overqualified and/or underappreciated, and have no room for advancement. On the bright side there are decent health, dental, and vision benefits, a TSP account to save for retirement, Flexible Spending accounts for heath and childcare, and Long-term health care benefits available, as well (not free).
Job
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 15, 2019
Enjoyed working there, worked with doctors, nurses,other staff, made appointments for patients,answered phones, faxing documents, ran travel pay,distinguished eligibility
Enjoyed working with other Veterans
Program Support Assistant, Projects (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJune 25, 2019
Benefits are untouched by any private employer, really loved working with and around other veterans, training for the position was a little chaotic lots of work to get done snd trying to train me
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Not easy for advancement
Don't do it
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 20, 2019
Go elsewhere. If you are a skilled healthcare worker, do not choose the New Orleans VA Medical Center. Go to any other hospital in the city. If you truly wish to work at a VA facility, then go to another city or state. New Orleans is a city that is behind the times. Unfortunately so is it's VA. I will be leaving shortly.
Pros
Federal benefits
Cons
Toxic work culture, lack of promotion opportunities, poor leadership
Enjoyable place to work and to serve our vets.
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NC 28144June 12, 2019
Hardest part of the job is to see vets suffering as a result of putting their life on the line for our country. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I did my best to take of the vets that I come in contact with. They are so appreciative that we are here and caring for them.
HBPC is the best at serving our older veterans.
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJune 12, 2019
I worked for VA Home Based Primary Care. These health professionals have done an excellent job caring for our older veterans so they can live at home.
Good Place to work
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 24, 2019
This is a good place to work but the opportunities for advancement is regulated by the federal government. The employment data fluctuates due to decisions by the law makers. You always have to worry about government shutdowns and policies that will determine the federal jobs.
Enjoyed Working at VA.
Program Support Assistant GS (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75216April 18, 2019
Great place to work if you like to serve a cause greater than yourself. Some bad management and bad attitudes, but many employees who truly want to serve our veterans and their families. Many job opportunities for veterans. Locations are often in run down or rough neighborhoods.
Pros
Benefits and Hours
Cons
Locations
Not equally friendly
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hines, IL 60141April 13, 2019
If you are not a doctor or nurse, you are screwed! Gs employees don't make money unless you are a 12 or higher. If you are a GS Employee, then you will not be respected!
Pros
Time off!
Cons
Overwork and underpaid!
Unique place for Veterans Healthcare
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 27, 2019
Place full of individuals that care about veteran's services, but with misdirection. There are some folks that know their information, but no written or real training for job titles or duties. Self taught for most positions. There is room for advancement, but have to fight with much nepotism for job posting. The veterans and some staff makes the job worth coming too, but needs new and improved individuals to make that happen.
Pros
paid public transportation and paid education for nursing.
Cons
Lack of training
No career
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 26, 2019
Coworkers are slow and lazy. They complain about workload without finishing there own work. Computer are not updated correctly and slow. staffs called sick and no backup
Pros
benefits and teleworking
Cons
pay
Good place to work, depending on your department
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 11, 2019
It is whatever you make of it. There are opportunities for advancement and because there are so many VA throughout the country, relocating shouldn't be an issue.
Pros
Flexibility in work hours, location, job security if that is what you are looking for
Cons
Training can be inconsistent.
Decent place to work
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 10, 2019
The benefits are great. Difficult place to work if you have young school aged children. While the give you sick leave and annual leave they have a lot of restrictions on how you can use them. I have found them very inflexible with schedules
benefits
Cons
management
friendly place to work
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, SDMarch 7, 2019
Great place to work, great benefits, every one is friendly and helpful. only down fall is we are low manned and its only going to get worse before it gets any better.
Pros
benifits
Cons
breaks, resources
Stressful most of the time
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 21, 2019
This job could be better if the upper management was proactive instead of micro management. Helping vets is an opportunity and a honor to help those that have served.
Pros
Cons
on time
Slow paced administrative duties
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAFebruary 4, 2019
Tracking workloads via excel trackers. Email correspondence with HR about incoming providers. The hardest part is not having support from the executives about our process when we get unnecessary emails about statuses.
Pros
cheap cafeteria food
Cons
No on site parking and short lunch breaks
No promotional potential and hostile working environment
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 2, 2019
A typical day included scanning, batching and indexing client information for the processing of educational benefits. Overall, the mission statement of the agency was for our service members and their family, following their service and dedication to our country. I was able to learn processing from start to finish, and became quite knowledgeable of the rules and regulations of the many branches of the service. The hardest part of the job was having to see the journeys these men and women have been through and not being able to take away their pain. Also, employee morale was never a priority, nor was promoting from within agency. Upper management was deplorable, and the existing people within those positions don't deserve to have them.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
No promotional potential, deplorable upper management
Mindless work
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 17, 2018
Typical days at work are all the same - this is a very monotonous job and most federal employees are only doing what needs to be done to get a paycheck. Nobody cares nor has a sense of purpose.
Pros
Transit Card
Cons
everything else
The department of VA
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2018
The Department of VA is a entry level federal entity that gives those that seek a federal career a fair chance of progression and career enhancement.
Pros
Great benefits and entry pay
Cons
Very Structured and slow to advance if you do not become proactive in your own career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K