Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Program Assistant

Productive work place environment and the opportunity of working with Veterans.
Credentialing Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Haven, CTJuly 11, 2018
My work schedule is basically reviewing a file for processing and verifying the information in Vetpro, once the applicant has completed the process for employment.
Pros
Discounts on stores
Cons
No room for advancement in certain departments
productive
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 6, 2018
good work place for and great benefits, military oriented, management is a great in my department, You get to learn a lot about benefits and what is available for veterans.
Extremely Stressful
Lead Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJune 18, 2018
The structure is not what it could be, no chance to advance and overworked for little pay. Pay does not compensate the type and amount of work. There is no training for replacements and workloads are usually more than one person can handle for extended periods of time.
Va
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CA 90805June 11, 2018
Any government position is a great place to work. I will joyed my time with the VA hospital. Family atmosphere! Some management need manager / employee skills as there is a lot of favoritism that upper management close their eyes too.
Pros
Great hours, govt benefits, pay is ok but could be better
Cons
Management has favoritism, management lack employee/manager skills, pay could be b tree for cost of living ( locality pay)
productive palace o work
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJune 6, 2018
nice place to work with an exercise room for use by employees
co-ordinate repair actions with audiology clinics veterans and repair facilities on a daily basis
Pros
well defined work schedule
Cons
commute to and from work
should be better
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 4, 2018
all jobs should be better pay and benefits. all hearts are the to choose how and who to give it too. Most people like eating fruit and stables of all kinds of promotions.
benefits
Cons
advancements
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 2, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Veterans Affairs San Antonio, Audie Murphy Hospital. It was a fun group of people to work with. I worked with engineers and architects. There was always a project being built inside the hospital. I went on safety rounds to ensure the spaces were safe for the contractors who worked on the projects.
Pros
Great group of people to work with. Paid time off 8 hours a month.
Challenging and rewarding workplace
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Muskogee, OKMay 30, 2018
Helping the Veterans and their dependents was very rewarding. There was always something to do to keep yourself occupied. Sometimes advancement was difficult due to the number of employees working there.
Pros
great people
Cons
sometimes mangement proved difficult to deal with
Love Working for Veterans
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 26, 2018
The sole reason I took the job at the VA is to help fellow veterans. My management wanted me to post 56 hours of AWOL for a staff member even though he called in and I could not consciously do that. My supervisor was off that day but I still got written up for not doing what I was told to do. The particular staff member went to our LMR Department and the department was told they could not do that because staff member had called in. I couldn't continue to work for those type of people.
Great working environment
Supervisory Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMay 17, 2018
Coordinating daily with the medical/mental health staff was enjoyable. It is wonderful to work with a group of people who care about the health and welfare of our veteran population. Kudos to the working staff in Martinsburg, WV VAMC!
Very high stress fast pace
Credentialing Program Assistant (AO) (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXMay 5, 2018
Most enjoyable part of my job was preparing the paperwork to be submitted to the Board for approval. There wasn't enough help so you were overworked and pushed to do more and more. I skipped breaks and lunch in order to help get things done timely. I always received a Bonus at the end of the year for my hard work. Everything must be thorough and perfect. The job wasn't hard just too much workload.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
too much workload
Interesting but stressful work
PROGRAM SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIApril 16, 2018
I enjoy working for the vamc, but I feel it is poorly managed, there is a high turn over rate for inpatient mental health, the campus is nice and I do enjoy working with my coworkers
Great workplace
Program Support Assistant/Contractor (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 13, 2018
Prepared and disbursed money owed to veteran patients for medical expenses. Reviewed medical claims to be submitted for reimbursements. Researched discrepancies and assisted clerk in public voucher program. Processed all Veteran requests and notices. Prepared public vouchers for processing, processed refunds reviews, pre-payments, claims matching, and rated eligibility. Collected, analyzed, and prepared data for processing and provided, clerical and technical support to CPAC operations. Performed review of First Party debt and adjusted First Party claims.
Pros
great workplace
Cons
parking
Productive and fun
PROGRAM SUPPORT ASSISTANT/ENGINEERING (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXApril 5, 2018
One of the best jobs I could have. I loved working with and for the veterans. Interacting with the veterans was amazing experience and would recommend this place to anyone.
Stressful, Overworked Employees!
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 3, 2018
Management lacks training! Work has tripled in the last 3 years and yet you are still expected to meet the same deadlines! Outdated responsibilities!!
Pros
Breaks, Vacations, Sick Days, OK pay, Work with other Vets if lucky
Cons
Not hiring enough Vets, Too much work for 1 person, Bad Management
Love working with the veterans
Program Support Assistant/Primary Timekeeper (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75216March 17, 2018
In my current role as Program Support Assistant, I don't get to interact with our veteran population like I used to and I do miss that, but I also love assisting the people who help our veterans on a daily basis.

Thank you.
great benefits
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 26, 2018
During my 34-year tenure as a Federal civilian employee with the National Institutes of Health and the Surgery Section at the James A Haley VA Hospital, my duties included secretarial and program support positions, and involved procurement, utilization review, timekeeping, clinic management and patient appointments.
Very good
Program Assistant, Federal Government (Current Employee) –  1 Archives drive, room 102February 20, 2018
The Department of Veteran Affairs was very professional as to evaluate to see if each candidate meet the qualification to assist veterans with their claims
Pros
Paid holidays and sick leave
Cons
lack of resources
Work place
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 19, 2018
Work with various government applications in a professional environment. Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a great work environment.
Pros
Chance to move forward
Cons
Reasonable Accommodation
Love my co-workers
Program Support Assistant (PSA), Purchase Care (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39216February 8, 2018
Enjoyed working for this this agency working with the veterans. I felt needed. Made sure the veterans were taken care off in a timely manner because most of the care I assisted with was for citizen seniors.
Pros
days off
Cons
short staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K