Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Medical Support Assistant

Found 299 reviews matching the search See all 4,653 reviews
Productive Workplace
Advanced Medical Support Assistant / TOD (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 30, 2018
Days working within the Va can be stressful at times, However with support you will be able to get through. You must be able to adapt to change. For the most part many are supportive and work as team players.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Great Benefits, Job stability
Great job security, but not an enjoyable work place
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 28, 2018
This is a job that has great job security. The down fall of the organization is that they are understaffed and they place too many demands on employees. The employees are over worked and burned out. There are poor management skills among management.
Great Place to work
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 28, 2018
This is a great place to work. You will be paid a salary whereby you can afford housing, food and basic living. Those lacking a college degree will find that there is no career advancement within the QCA.
Pros
pay, atmosphere
Cons
no career advancement
n/a
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, AR 72703October 24, 2018
Hard to advance and management team over current job not trustworthy. Fast paced, little to no recognition for job well done. Expected to do several different jobs because of low manning.
stressful, incompetent workers
Lead Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO 80220October 23, 2018
Management is a JOKE here. If you're good at your job you only get more work to make up for the incompetent workers. Supervisors and upper management have no idea what they are doing. The culture is bad. Patients are extremely rude. They don't discipline people who don't do their jobs, it's almost impossible to get fired from here. I can't stress enough how INCOMPETENT workers are here.
Pros
sick and annual leave
Fast paced and stressful
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZOctober 16, 2018
Great team, decent management but you are expected to complete so much and not given the resources to complete the task. You are often given the job that should be split into 2 positions. Very stressful and always fast paced. Very fast burn out rate.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay, weekends off
Cons
Stressful, fast paced, expected to do job of 2
Va Review Summary
MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 16, 2018
The DVA is a great place to work with many rewarding opportunities to give back to the Veterans who served us. While it can be stressful as a clerk taking the brunt of all complaints and attitude, I still find it rewarding. I love being able to wake up and make a difference in the lives to who gave and sacrificed for us as a nation.

The bad: Poor management: Leadership is willing to listen to issues/concerns, but do not act upon it to help and move forward with progression in those complaints/issues. Understaffed: Working short hours to get a ton of things done on top of clerical duties, with nobody being hired to help share the load and become a team instead of us just becoming individuals and becoming the I in team.

Overall, My experience as a Vet working for the VA has been rewarding and a growing/learning experience shifting from Active duty to civilian lifestyle. Just the bad outweighs the good here unfortunately.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Poor Management / Lack of Progress with changes
Not enough work to do, would find things to do to keep busy
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAOctober 14, 2018
I love serving the Veteran's, however my position as a Medical Support Assistant was not very demanding and I am not challenged enough. Would prefer a career where I am constantly learning and kept busy.
A day at the VA
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 11, 2018
A typical day at work is managing the environment between the providers and patients. I have learned that most of the management lack personal skills when it comes to team building and individual assessments. There seems to be a high impact of favoritism between employees. The hardest part of the job is dealing and handling patient care especially when they become disruptive. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
Everything was chaotic due to lack of organization.
ADVANCED MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 26, 2018
Teams don't collaborate. There is not enough time during the workday to get all of your work done due to people constantly pulling you for other tasks.
Decent place if HQ would keep out
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TX 79412September 22, 2018
We work well and solve any issues, When our higher headquarters sees our success, they get jealous instead of celebrate them. It is almost as if they don't want us to succeed.
Review
Medical Support Assistant (MSA) (Current Employee) –  Neuropsychology and Memory ClinicSeptember 20, 2018
It's a great place for benefits and career if your trying to have a stable place to work. We do need to hire more staff because work load is stressful at time for employees.
Great Benefits
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hines, ILSeptember 19, 2018
Great benefits
Good pay
Love working with the veterans
Able to combine my administrative knowledge with my clinical knowledge
Weekends off
Holidays off
Great for job security
Advanced Medical Support Assistant-Registration (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 17, 2018
There is a lot to learn both from the employees and the veterans. Also it is a pleasure being able to provide services to veterans. The work culture is exciting.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
health benefits
Medical Support Assistant
Medical Support Assistant-Mental Health Nursing (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CASeptember 12, 2018
The job is fine until you have maxed out your pay grade; then no matter how long you have been around no matter how OUTSTANDING you did your job no one wants you to advance because they want you at a level of expert to teach others around you. The only ones promoted are those that seem sniff under the supervisors and throw the hard working ones under the bus. After a while it gets old because you are not appreciated; instead the duties are piled on with a "I know you are capable attitude". More work but never more money. Just working those that work hard even harder but not helping with their cost of living that clearly effects the temperature and turn over rate of the position.
Pros
Electronic Payroll Deduction, Set schedules, TSP and Annual Leave generation depending on your tenure.
Cons
Micro-Managing, Llack of boundaries in communication i.e. professional use of your personal phone
its okay
Supervisory Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN 37411August 22, 2018
the red tape can be extremely frustrating. Inefficient processes. Redundant work in multiple applications. Managers are not held accountable for maltreatment of their employees.
Pros
Job security
Cons
managers can be unethical and unfair. Not reprimanded for actions.
Amsa
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTAugust 8, 2018
Traveled 150 miles round trip 5 days a week for three weeks for training. The traffic to West Haven was beyond bearable; same coming back. Got up at 4, left at 5 to arrive at 8. Trainers rollled in around 9, if at all. Then they would chat, get coffee, do everything except train. One nurse even showed us videos of her kid coming out of anethsethia, and told us all about her personal life life, including her online dating history. Then on to a 90 minute lunch, more bs, and then get sent home early, instead of at 4pm. Then a 3-4 hour drive home in rush hour traffic. The computer system is beyond comprehension. Open five pages on each of two screens. A second system has to be up as a backup, but goes down if not used frequently. Trying to take 60 calls per shift, everything from suicide calls, directions, general info, and booking appointments for both hospitals and all clinics throughout the state. Each clinic has different rules for booking, Each MD has different rules.Got to the job totally untrained, had a mentor who was either absent or grumpy, and on top of this, we were timed. As a veteran and a taxpayer, I find this disgusting and unacceptable.
Pros
Pay, benefits and opportunity to assist veterans.
Cons
No training, no oversite of trainers, obsolete computer system.
Good and Bad
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 6, 2018
Its a nice place to work given the pay and benefits but when it comes to management its horrible. Also the politics that are within the VA is really bad and our Veterans do not get the treatment they deserve.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Bad management and to may politics
great to be amongst veterans
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAJuly 18, 2018
The pay isn't that great. My commute is pretty extensive. Other co workers don't like doing their job. The HR department isn't useful. I would like to get a bonus instead of the superiors getting them all the time.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
can get overwhelming at times and the pay doesnt accomodate for it.
Workplace is what you make of it
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 12, 2018
Typical eight hour workday doing patient administrative duties. Great opportunity to be able to serve others and meet the needs of all patients assigned.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K