Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Medical Support Assistant

Found 377 reviews matching the search See all 5,717 reviews
If you don't mind being treated like a number instead of a person welcome aboard
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 22, 2020
Leadership is so busy counting numbers they fail to see that they have good employees who value their work, but are often the ones they look over. There is very little encouragement for the work you do, only the demand to do better. I'm sad when I walk in the building because there is someone lurking around to see if you are in your seat at precisely 8:00 am. Then if your not you get called in to tell you about the 3 min u are not in your seat, not counting you have spent 3 min to walk to their office to here this BS. I feel so stuck. I go because I can't seem to get out. I've applied until I tired and discouraged.
Supervisors call out at least 1 sometimes 2 time per week. but let me call out one day, I get the lecture about it being at the discretion if the time is approved or not. Now mind you I have the AL or SL to cover this. It has to be approved like I'm 4 years old. I know when I'm sick, or when I just know this is not going to be a productive day for me. I'm at work everyday on time. Whatever foolish they pull out their butts I do. Know this is just really dumb. Next week its a change to something even more dumb. Our veterans suffer not because of lack of healthcare, but due to the people that oversee it. The system often defeats itself

My Opinion
Government job/Clinic
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 5, 2020
A typical day was fast paced working in a clinic environment from the time entering the clinic until end of tour of duty, management had unrealistic expectations of work goals of servicing the vets(which was a joy) but the expectations of additionally making 30-40 calls a day for return visits for vets in a high volume clinic, while taking request from nurses, emails from other healthcare professionals, sale reps, going to other clinics to assist was overwhelming and made the ability to complete the above task and several other task not included overwhelming. The workplace culture is not professional unlike a corporate environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the vets/they were awesome.
Pros
Most of the time taking classes
Cons
pay
productive
Lead Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NC 28144January 25, 2020
Love the experience and the advancement that is allowed at the VA. Can move up and many ways to get increased salary. The VA has great health care benefits with many choices to choose from. No limitation on how far you can go as long as you apply yourself.
Terrible management
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAJanuary 23, 2020
You are not able to stick up for yourself without retaliation. Management will lie and deceive and not support their employees.
Working for the Veterans is very rewarding, however management is more concerned with what is best for themselves.
This is a typical government facility
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 21, 2020
There isn't much room for advancement at this location. Each department is separate so I can only go by my own experience at this location. I have been told there are many other facilities that are ran better.
Productive place that feels like home
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perry Point, MDJanuary 10, 2020
The VA cares about their patients. We are all like family. They care about their employees as well. Benefits start right away. You have job security after you meet your probationary period. There is always room to grow. Very diverse environment.
set schedule, no overtime
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, IN 46545January 7, 2020
set schedule, no overtime. Management is not effective and could use a new approach to how they lead staff. There are not many opportunities for advancement in my facility. This decreases morale and creates a culture of defeatism
It’s a stepping stone
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 29, 2019
It’s a great place to move up the ladder in your field. I just started a few months ago and I’m already going on a interview for the next grade up from where I started.
Intermittent (on-call)
Intermittent medical support assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 24, 2019
If you’ve been offered an intermittent or on call position with the VA hospital or clinics, please understand that this is their way of asking for full time work with out giving you any benefits, PTO or paid holidays. Once they go over your resume, they will give you a GS level. You must complete a full year of employment at that GS level before you can apply to the next GS level (applying for a raise within your department or moving departments) The only benefit to being intermittent is that you get to choose your hours based on the clinics hours of operation
Family feeling, excellent people to work with
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, IN 46805December 23, 2019
In my time, I have worked with a great number of people at the VA who have made it feel like family and not just a place to work. The fact that being able to work with people who are also willing to learn and work together has helped to make my experience feel more at ease.
Work environment
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 15, 2019
I work in a facility where 99% of the people are veterans. I enjoy my job and serving our veterans with any request they have. I enjoy working with my coworkers who make our 8 hours fun and enjoyable.
The VA is a great place to work
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 13, 2019
The Department of Veterans Affairs has plenty of room to grow and use your skills. Also a very easy place to learn new skills and learn to be part of a team.
The good the bad the ugly
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 26, 2019
Poor management poor leaders good people with good hearts. Great intentions but they do not listen to their customer base or their workers..
Leadership thinks their degrees make them smarter than their customers and workers. Headed down a bad road.
Very cultured and flexible
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 18, 2019
I had an amazing experience working at the VA. As a veteran and an employee for me was a one stop shop. My job was a bit stressful from the volume of veterans coming in for healthcare services but overall I had the opportunity to advance rather quickly.
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVNovember 17, 2019
Great place to work, a lot of talented people. Management is very helpful just an overall fast paced place to work. Hours are great too Monday thru Friday 830 to 430
Good
Advance Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 7, 2019
Wonderful
Wonderful
Best Work environment Join the VA hospital and any department Work Life is beautiful,,,....,........,..
,.,.
...................

Professional
Supervisor Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 2, 2019
Learn what you need to know and move forward. Every department either lack of something or you can bring ideas forward to management. Always set good examples for yourself and build team success.
Americas Veterans
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 1, 2019
It is a good place to feel like you are helping America's Heros and giving great service. Not a lot of upward mobility is why I am looking to move to another job.
Pros
paid leave
Cons
poor management
Great Place To Work
HEALTH ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/Medical Support Assistant (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Viera, FLOctober 31, 2019
Worked at VA for 21 years. Had various jobs that I was advanced to. If your looking for a place that has study income and great place to work.
If you are a Veterans this also has a plus side for being treated medically.
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 25, 2019
Working at the VA is the best job experience that I have ever had. I like the job culture. We are all about serving the veterans with the most comprehensive care imaginable. I like being apart of a team that is positive and genuine.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K