Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Medical Support Assistant

Found 344 reviews matching the search See all 5,200 reviews
Very oppressive
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 11, 2019
Understaffed, Extremely busy work environment. Supervisors rarely addressed problems hostile work environment with both employees and customers. Extreme nepotism throughout.
Work Life at the VA
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 8, 2019
Fast-paced environment with friendly and helpful people. Everyone works together for the care of the veterans and their families. Our goal is to make sure all their needs are met in a timely manner.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Compensation
I loved my job and really enjoyed Assisting my fellow Veterans and would love to work for the Department of Veterans Affairs again.
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 7, 2019
I loved my job and really enjoyed Assisting my fellow Veterans and would love to work for the Department of Veterans Affairs again if given the chance
very rewarding Job to work with the Verterans who fought for our rights
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 4, 2019
This job is very rewarding in all aspects of being free and be able to have free speech. loved my job seeing our veterans and helping them everyday. The hardest part about this job was working in the surgical service line due to them not doing things correctly and always making things hard on the employees. My co-workers were great also I never had complaints. The only thing that needed worked on was management in the service line and it still does.
Great benefits
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCJuly 28, 2019
Working at the va, you have great benefits and it is very rewarding to work with the veterans. You have good and bad coworkers but watch out because many of them will step on you to get to where they want to go.
Pros
Veterans and benefits
Cons
Coworkers
Professional Atmosphere
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bay Pines, FLJuly 24, 2019
Being employed by the VA I feel is a very good place for upward mobility and job security. I find that most of the people who work here care about our veterans and want to help where needed.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Lack of placement for qualified employees
N/a
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montrose, NYJuly 23, 2019
Too many process changes without proper training or explanation. Or old PowerPoint presentations of systems not in use anymore. Lack of leadership interaction or prescience with front-line staff. Little job advancement opportunities.
Gereat place to work!!
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KY 42240July 23, 2019
On a daily I was able to assist with patient care for some amazing woman and men that sacrificed themselves to ensure our rights in this country. The environment was great I loved the people that I worked with.
Lebanon VA Management
Lead Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PA 17011July 15, 2019
Their management in Lebanon was very poor. They allowed bullying of employees and the Supervisor at Camp Hill was prejudicial and racist to me. She was a bully and had my employees turning on me
Not a bad place
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 15, 2019
In my opinion, the Department of Veterans Affairs is a good place to work. For the most part Management staff is approachable and easy to talk with if there is an issue. I would recommend this place to anyone.
Great benefits and opportunity for advancement
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2019
Facility has great benefits and plenty of opportunities for advancement. Great atmosphere and a desire to serve the veterans. Great location and personable atmosphere.
Best job ever!
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJuly 2, 2019
I loved my coworkers and all the veterans. It was and still is my dream job. I wish I never had to leave! The worst was understaff but people have personal lives so it’s understandable most days.
Great place to work, great job stability
ADVANCED MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 3, 2019
Typical day at work is managing consultations, for vascular lab. This department is high demand, busy phone line. It’s a great place to work but there is little to no morale.
Challenging, Stressful, Environment
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 13, 2019
I enjoyed working at the SFVAMC. It was challenging times, I worked with many great Providers, Nurses, and peer AMSA's. I was taught many valuable skills and learned how to work as a team in many of the Speciality Clinics. I valued each one of team members. I miss each and every person I worked with during my employment there. I truly enjoyed serving our veterans and being a part of each veterans care. Getting to know our veterans and bits of each ones history and accomplishments.
I realize now how much I miss working at the SFVAMC.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Stressful
Not a bad place to work, but management is not friendly
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem, VAMay 12, 2019
Management is not easy to work with and does not really care about their employees. The work environment is mostly friendly and the nursing staff are great.
Worst place to work ever! If you apply for VA, prepare yourself to be ---- on daily!!!
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 3, 2019
At this time, they are preparing for fourth Director in 10 years. What does that tell you? No scheduled breaks. No accountability. Be prepared to be treated unfairly and to suck it up!
Pros
None!
Cons
Physically Dirty. No breaks, no accountability, no advancement opportunity, evil managers
stressful
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson ArizonaApril 22, 2019
The VA is very short staffed so everyone is over worked and sometimes things get very stressful, and it may feel like nobody knows what they are doing. The job isnt hard, its just so short handed
benefits
Cons
short staffed and over worked
As a health team we learned and a lot and did a lot for the patients
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 19, 2019
It is a very hard to keep up with the ever changing climate of the VA, but in the end it was very rewarding for our health care team, the patients and their families, It makes our services better.
Pros
Health benefits and time off.
Cons
Ever stressful
Don't apply for a MSA position
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lyons, NJApril 14, 2019
My biggest mistake was when I accept a MSA position with the VA, which is a Medical Support Assistant (MSA). The job consist of scheduling medical appointments for veterans, and resolving their complaints and issues regarding medical treatment. I was throw in the Audiology department a month after I started with minimum training without assistance. The phone ring consistantly with veterans complaining about their hearing aids. The vets had to wait nearly three months to get a hearing test because there was only two hearing booths. The audiologists I worked with was burned out mentally and one of them was very miserable and had the biggest attitude. I was not given a break until months later after numerous of complaints. The vets alway went to patient advocate because their hearing appointments were canceled when the doctors were out, and when that happen it felled on me because I had to reschedule their appointments. Management was the worst because they expected you to keep quiet and just do the work.That was the most dysfunctional working environment I ever worked at. I'm sure other departments was much better than the Medical Administration department. It's a revolving door for MSA because people don't want to stay in that position for long. FYI- you are also put on a one year probation period with all federal jobs, so if they feel you are not a good fit management will propose to have you terminated. I resigned due to the working conditions and negative atmosphere, and the greatest part is that I found a new job.
Pros
Credit union, pension, education scholarship
Cons
Lack of communication and accountability, immature co workers, dissatisfied vets.
Productive and Fun place to work
ADVANCE MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Reserve, LAApril 14, 2019
As a veteran of the US Army I'm able to help my fellow veterans with any medical concerns they might have. The most enjoyable part of the job is to make sure the veterans are happy.
Pros
work monday thru friday weekends off
Cons
short lunch breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K