Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Medical Support Assistant

Found 311 reviews matching the search See all 4,718 reviews
Amazing place to work
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 13, 2019
The Veterans Health Administration is an amazing place to work. Its such an honor to help those who served/serve for our freedom .The supporting staff is very helpful. Options for continuing education are endless.
Environment where gossip, clicks and back stabbing foster.
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 8, 2019
Manager scolds employee in public, they tolerate revealing outfits including wearing silk and lace lingerie's to work. Too much gossiping and back stab.
Pros
Work is for federal government.
Cons
Nobody listens to harassment complaints.
Medical Support Assistant Duties (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 5, 2019
Very Stressful environment. Wouldn't recommend working for VA. Always wondered why people who transferred to the VA transferred out of VA after a year.
Cons
Short lunches (30 min), sat at a computer 8 hrs day
Work
Advanced Medical support assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99504January 3, 2019
A typical day at work at the Department of Veterans Affairs includes assisting Veterans with benefits before and after military service. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people.
Pros
New People
Cons
Salary
difficult job
ADVANCED MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJanuary 2, 2019
hostile/threatening customer base, poisonous work environment, lack of administration support for employees. Lack of easy advancement. Poor upper management. Lack of political support by president and congress.
Pros
job security
Cons
everything else
Good pay
MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Miami, FL 33125December 26, 2018
good opportunities for advancement, great place to work and the atmosphere is inviting and very friendly. there is great opportunity for advancement and increased pay annually.
the most enjoyable part
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53295November 30, 2018
working with the veterans and their families and seeing the smiles on their faces when you can help them solve the problems they are having with their benefits
Do Not Recommend
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 20, 2018
I am only leaving one star because it will not allow me to leave none at all. I do not recommend any VA hospital. I blame the government and their lack of concern for the Veterans and their employees.
Gossip
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 17, 2018
A typical day at the VA is gossip. They spend more time gossiping than working. Some of them are rude to the Veterans. I have learned to go to work do my job and move on. They have a group who all stick together and if they don't like you none of them do and they try to make you miserable because they are miserable within themselves. They love to stir up rumors and make you the center of attraction I find it hilarious because they are so concerned about you that they cant keep your name out of their mouth makes you feel real special. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the veterans and doing what ever it takes to make them feel comfortable and special because after all they are special if it wasn't for them we wouldn't be here. The focus here is the veteran and what the VA needs to do is get rid of the trouble makers but they won't they even have some of the management in the groups along for the ride. It is a joke but the whole purpose of working there is for the VETS not the office politics!!!!
Pros
Helping the Vets
Cons
Gossip
Satisfying helping the Veterans
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CANovember 15, 2018
I loved contracting within the Medical Health Department assisting several medical doctors.
I had asked upon my re-hire full time permanent employee position to be placed back in the Mental Health Department.
They put me working within phone bank rotating me back and forth at the front desk scheduling whole clinic departments appointments
Greeting and registering patient walk-ins

I resigned felt it was not a good fit for me with not having the option to go back into the mental health department.
Pros
Working with the Veterans
Cons
lack of communication with management and being disrespected by supervisor
Productive Workplace
Advanced Medical Support Assistant / TOD (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 30, 2018
Days working within the Va can be stressful at times, However with support you will be able to get through. You must be able to adapt to change. For the most part many are supportive and work as team players.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Great Benefits, Job stability
Great job security, but not an enjoyable work place
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 28, 2018
This is a job that has great job security. The down fall of the organization is that they are understaffed and they place too many demands on employees. The employees are over worked and burned out. There are poor management skills among management.
Great Place to work
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 28, 2018
This is a great place to work. You will be paid a salary whereby you can afford housing, food and basic living. Those lacking a college degree will find that there is no career advancement within the QCA.
Pros
pay, atmosphere
Cons
no career advancement
n/a
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, AR 72703October 24, 2018
Hard to advance and management team over current job not trustworthy. Fast paced, little to no recognition for job well done. Expected to do several different jobs because of low manning.
stressful, incompetent workers
Lead Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO 80220October 23, 2018
Management is a JOKE here. If you're good at your job you only get more work to make up for the incompetent workers. Supervisors and upper management have no idea what they are doing. The culture is bad. Patients are extremely rude. They don't discipline people who don't do their jobs, it's almost impossible to get fired from here. I can't stress enough how INCOMPETENT workers are here.
Pros
sick and annual leave
Fast paced and stressful
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZOctober 16, 2018
Great team, decent management but you are expected to complete so much and not given the resources to complete the task. You are often given the job that should be split into 2 positions. Very stressful and always fast paced. Very fast burn out rate.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay, weekends off
Cons
Stressful, fast paced, expected to do job of 2
Va Review Summary
MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 16, 2018
The DVA is a great place to work with many rewarding opportunities to give back to the Veterans who served us. While it can be stressful as a clerk taking the brunt of all complaints and attitude, I still find it rewarding. I love being able to wake up and make a difference in the lives to who gave and sacrificed for us as a nation.

The bad: Poor management: Leadership is willing to listen to issues/concerns, but do not act upon it to help and move forward with progression in those complaints/issues. Understaffed: Working short hours to get a ton of things done on top of clerical duties, with nobody being hired to help share the load and become a team instead of us just becoming individuals and becoming the I in team.

Overall, My experience as a Vet working for the VA has been rewarding and a growing/learning experience shifting from Active duty to civilian lifestyle. Just the bad outweighs the good here unfortunately.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Poor Management / Lack of Progress with changes
Not enough work to do, would find things to do to keep busy
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAOctober 14, 2018
I love serving the Veteran's, however my position as a Medical Support Assistant was not very demanding and I am not challenged enough. Would prefer a career where I am constantly learning and kept busy.
A day at the VA
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 11, 2018
A typical day at work is managing the environment between the providers and patients. I have learned that most of the management lack personal skills when it comes to team building and individual assessments. There seems to be a high impact of favoritism between employees. The hardest part of the job is dealing and handling patient care especially when they become disruptive. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
Everything was chaotic due to lack of organization.
ADVANCED MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 26, 2018
Teams don't collaborate. There is not enough time during the workday to get all of your work done due to people constantly pulling you for other tasks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K