Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Medical Support Assistant

Found 327 reviews matching the search See all 4,944 reviews
As a health team we learned and a lot and did a lot for the patients
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 19, 2019
It is a very hard to keep up with the ever changing climate of the VA, but in the end it was very rewarding for our health care team, the patients and their families, It makes our services better.
Pros
Health benefits and time off.
Cons
Ever stressful
Don't apply for a MSA position
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lyons, NJApril 14, 2019
My biggest mistake was when I accept a MSA position with the VA, which is a Medical Support Assistant (MSA). The job consist of scheduling medical appointments for veterans, and resolving their complaints and issues regarding medical treatment. I was throw in the Audiology department a month after I started with minimum training without assistance. The phone ring consistantly with veterans complaining about their hearing aids. The vets had to wait nearly three months to get a hearing test because there was only two hearing booths. The audiologists I worked with was burned out mentally and one of them was very miserable and had the biggest attitude. I was not given a break until months later after numerous of complaints. The vets alway went to patient advocate because their hearing appointments were canceled when the doctors were out, and when that happen it felled on me because I had to reschedule their appointments. Management was the worst because they expected you to keep quiet and just do the work.That was the most dysfunctional working environment I ever worked at. I'm sure other departments was much better than the Medical Administration department. It's a revolving door for MSA because people don't want to stay in that position for long. FYI- you are also put on a one year probation period with all federal jobs, so if they feel you are not a good fit management will propose to have you terminated. I resigned due to the working conditions and negative atmosphere, and the greatest part is that I found a new job.
Pros
Credit union, pension, education scholarship
Cons
Lack of communication and accountability, immature co workers, dissatisfied vets.
Productive and Fun place to work
ADVANCE MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Reserve, LAApril 14, 2019
As a veteran of the US Army I'm able to help my fellow veterans with any medical concerns they might have. The most enjoyable part of the job is to make sure the veterans are happy.
Pros
work monday thru friday weekends off
Cons
short lunch breaks
Va
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAApril 14, 2019
I loved working with the veterans. Days were pretty predictable and I didnt like that. But I met a lot of amazing people. My drive was always long because of the traffic, but I got more pay due to the area I worked at.
Pros
helping veterans
Cons
long drive and not great supervision
Always something interesting everyday
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 12, 2019
My day in my clinic starts off by logging on to all my systems I use throughout the day, all day I answer phones to make appts, cancel appts ,take messages, ect.. When vets present to my desk, I normally check them into an appt or checki them out of appt, when I check them out I will schedule the follow up appt with is the next visit back. And if permitted I will complete a travel voucher for the patient if they are eligble . When I answer the phones I will put in a message to dr in detail what the pt is needing to talk to pc about. If a pt comes in as a walk in, I will alert the nurse and add pt to same day clinic
workplace culture
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 9, 2019
Management was not there for the vets they were there for their own selfish reasons. It starts at the top if the mangers don´t know the job then what can you expect from the employees.
Bad place to work
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  North DakotaApril 8, 2019
Very poor upper management. No clue how to train new and older associates. Very stressful to work for them. 99.9% of the time you take your issues from this job home with you. If you do get work for them don't join a really weak union. They seem to work hand and hand with the VA's upper management.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
management
lack of growth unless you know the right people
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 7, 2019
a typical day, all day in a call center, answers calls and assist the caller to best ability.
learned a lot about health care.
management, some good some are bad
ok culture, limited, we work from home
going to the office, would rather work from home
working from home.
Pros
working remotely, home office
Cons
lack of advancement, pay never goes p, but the tasks do.
the hardest part of the job
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 3, 2019
The typical day at work is updating patient demographics into the computer system, answering and making phone calls. There is a diversity of employees. The most enjoyable is taking care of the veterans.
Great opportunity
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 29, 2019
Office of Community Care is a great opportunity for employment. I love working here! The management and location was great! The atmosphere was very positive and they promote in the VA.
Pros
Great work environment, team concept
Cons
Short 30 minute lunch
enjoyable place to work
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cape Coral, FL 33909March 26, 2019
I enjoy working for this company serving veterans. Each day is a new challenge. On a daily basis I have face to face interaction and phone conversations with veterans. It is a business casual environment 99% of the time with the occasional relaxed day. the most difficult part of the job is not taking the vet's frustration to heart. Sometimes they have been through a lot and get frustrated when they can't talk to their doctor ASAP. the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the vet's go home with a smile on their face.
Vocational Rehabilitation
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Loma Linda, CAMarch 25, 2019
I was able to work at the VA for three years while completing my BA under the Voc Rehab program.
Advancement is slow, structure is good. Upper management is great to work with, and lots of networking.
Leadership and communication needs major improvement.
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2019
Leadership and communication needs major improvement. Most employees seem to be employed for a paycheck and have no driven purpose to care for the veterans.
There needs to be more structure and stronger work ethics
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 28, 2019
The VA is cut throat and management plays favorites and the buddy system. There is not the quality of professionalism and work ethic you woud expect for a government agency,
Pros
Helping veterans
Cons
Management and work culture
I will never recommend anyone I know to work at the ATLANTA Dept of Veteran Affairs
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakwood, GAFebruary 13, 2019
The Atlanta VA is a horrible place to work! It’s unneccesarily stressful!!! The rating I’d give would be a -5 stars (negative number). They don’t pay employees what they’re worth. They devalue your worth if allowed to do so!!!
Amazing place to work
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 13, 2019
The Veterans Health Administration is an amazing place to work. Its such an honor to help those who served/serve for our freedom .The supporting staff is very helpful. Options for continuing education are endless.
Woking for the federal government is good, but it comes with its challenges.
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (AMSA) (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32827January 10, 2019
A federal job has its benefits. However, it depends on the job or the position one's has. The hardest part of the job for me is the stress. It can be so hard to move up and too much organizational politic. Management needs major improvement in order to retain great talent in the agency.
Pros
Work and life balance
Cons
Hard to climb the ladder of success and get promoted.
Environment where gossip, clicks and back stabbing foster.
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 8, 2019
Manager scolds employee in public, they tolerate revealing outfits including wearing silk and lace lingerie's to work. Too much gossiping and back stab.
Pros
Work is for federal government.
Cons
Nobody listens to harassment complaints.
Medical Support Assistant Duties (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 5, 2019
Very Stressful environment. Wouldn't recommend working for VA. Always wondered why people who transferred to the VA transferred out of VA after a year.
Cons
Short lunches (30 min), sat at a computer 8 hrs day
Work
Advanced Medical support assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99504January 3, 2019
A typical day at work at the Department of Veterans Affairs includes assisting Veterans with benefits before and after military service. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people.
Pros
New People
Cons
Salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52K