Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Medical Support Assistant

Great place to work.
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 12, 2018
Enjoyed working and serving our veterans who gave so much toward the security and freedom of our great nation. Learned a great deal about the veterans.
Pros
Overall, a good place to work.
Cons
Inadequate compensation
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, MAJuly 10, 2018
Steady pace of work lots of friendly people. Great benefits. enjoyed the patients and most staff. steady pay raises and cost of living increase. overall a great place to work.
Pros
benifits
Cons
a few bad managers
Family Like
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 9, 2018
I've worked in four different place in the course of five years. I have gained the trust and lifelong friendships with many that i have worked side by side with. There is a family culture in each place i have worked, co workers are awesome we support each other. I love working here, just wish there was more of advancement here that would allow me to utilize my skills on a regular basis.The hardest think i have endured is working under a supervisor that doesn't have the skills needed to direct the staff in a positive directions, using her "weight" to pull the unit assistants against one another just to be next inline for a promotion. I enjoy my interactions with even the most hardcore Veteran, before it's all over i am one of there favorite people. I have enjoyed the work the people and the opportunity. i am ready to utilize my medical assistant skill set to further my growth and become more of an asset.
fast paced, multi task job
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 8, 2018
very fast paced, multi task job. The best part of this job is helping the veterans, the worst part is not getting acknowledged by upper management when you go above and beyond your job duties.
No team work
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tavares, FLJune 29, 2018
I was a full time emp. for 17 yrs with 0 write ups with 0 suspensions that I know of, and was given the heaviest wk. load, & was forced to retire. A set up.
Pros
No time card to punch in and out.
Cons
Health care.
It is a secure place to work.
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (OA) (This (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 27, 2018
Daily high level of responsibility to multitask assignments as delegated with a minimal to no assistance. This includes but not limited to manning the phone calls, answering questions related to all clinics areas, communicating in writing reports, meeting deadlines according to policy, procedures, and protocol. Making sure that all patient is scheduled for clinics, consultations, procedures, f/u appointments knowing proper medical terminology, pay very close to details, communicate with staff in house or outside facilities, check demographics and insurances for accuracy and billing purposes. Receive reports on consults, 30 days unscheduled appt., clinic reports on return to clinic orders, missed opportunity reports, place orders for lodging, clinic cancellation reports, respond to My Healthy Vet , respond to Action Require Reports, respond to Text Messaging reports, manage time daily. Receive reports on consults, 30 days unscheduled appt., reminder calls report, missed opportunity reports, respond to My Healthy Vet reports, respond to Action Require Reports, respond to Text Messaging reports, print up daily assignments daily, manage time daily.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Would like to be sponsered more in higher education other than Nursing.
Excellent
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 22, 2018
Great work environment and having the opportunity to provide service to the personnel of veteran hero's. Awesome place for growth and the staff are there to make a difference for the veteran.
Pros
Servicing Veterans
Cons
Not enough staff members to service the veterans.
Dallas VA Hospital
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 21, 2018
The over all work environment is great due to co-workers and out mentality of team work. However management is poor and sometimes causes a very hostile work environment.
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 13, 2018
Being an MSA, I got to work closely with nurses and doctors everyday as well as interact with veterans.The workplace was mostly relaxed and slow paced with plenty of down time, but could also get busy as a moments notice. I learned a lot about people and how to communicate with different kinds of people. I also perfected a lot of phone skills and communication skills through using the phone and taking messages. I was mostly satisfied with the management I had, as they were mostly pretty hands-off and let their staff kind of manage themselves but were there if we had questions. The most enjoyable part of the job was making connections with the staff that I worked with on a daily basis and being able to help veterans.
Summary
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville TNJune 8, 2018
A typical day working for the Department of Veterans Affairs is fairly fast paced. The management staff is competent and help out when they are needed. The job is rewarding and enjoyable as long as you remember why you are here. Which is to help veterans receive the best of care, and stay committed to that goal.
Good for management, a lot of obstacles for lower division employees
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  White City, ORJune 6, 2018
I only recommend people work here who really want to help veterans and their families. I am not saying it is terrible, I am just saying that there are extremely hard obstacles to overcome. So, if you are up for a good obstacle and you are ready to take on a challenging work environment, then I would highly recommend this as a career, otherwise it is just an excuse to put a federal job on your resume.
Pros
Set Schedule 8-4:30, you get to help Veterans and their families, fun events, full benefits, upward mobility (if you try).
Cons
Co-workers are very rude, older staff does not like new employees, more work done than you are paid for, no choice in how your day will go unless you are management, work follows you home occasionally, sometimes there are hostile patients, but that is wherever you go, Management will ask you for ideas and then shoot them all down, VERY high turnover rates, cut-throat.
Department of Veterans Affiars
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 6, 2018
The department of veterans is a very good place to work. I worked for many years an I love it, they people are very friendly and the pay is good. One of the highest paying hospitals in md
VA Hospital Admin
Advance Medical Support Assistant- (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 2, 2018
benefits are great, face paced, need to have people skills, and patient to deal with vets, something is always changing, hard to move up, great job to have if u need to relocate to another state
n/a
Advanced Medical Support Assistant GS-06 (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJune 1, 2018
Customer service and patience is a virtue. High turnover with some positions. AMSA's are just like front desk clerks. Management is good. Pay and benefits is well above the pay in the private sector. Time off is accrued bi-weekly and increases over time.
The va
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WA 99205May 29, 2018
Government Job that allows for some upward mobility, however restricts once you are hired on. Hard standards on Promotion based on Time in grade.A good place to work, but hard to get ahead.
Lacks Professional Management
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (GS-6) (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NC 28805May 23, 2018
Lots of nepotism within the VA system. Poor management, can go weeks without seeing or hearing from a supervisor. Physicians greatly hinder clinic patient flow. HIPPA violations are rampant. Difficult to move up even with an undergrad and while working on a master's degree. Too many family members working at the same facility. Pay isn't balanced with workload.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Great job but very poor management
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 23, 2018
Working at the VA as an MSA was an honor to serve the veterans. It's typically self-paced and self structured job where you schedule appointments and/or check in-out veterans.

HAS is a terrible service to work for though. Management will bully and retaliate when given the chance.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
bad management
Vamc
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 18, 2018
I plead the fifth. Nothing to say one way or the other. Go to work do your job and mind your business and go home. Show up on time. Don't misuse government time. It is a wonderful company to work for.
Medical Support Assistant
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northport, NYMay 16, 2018
A typical day at work is helping eligible veterans register for healthcare. Answering phone calls, Setting up transfers from other hospitals. The hardest part of the job was the volume of work. The best part of the job was helping veterans. Great management.
Pros
Helping veterans
Cons
volume of work
Career Opportunities
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 10, 2018
Opportunities for female employees at the Jackson VA Medical Center are great compared to other agencies in which I've worked. Females are given the opportunities to advance based on their knowledge, skills, abilities and education. Females holds to majority of top job positions at the Jackson VA. When selecting for candidates in top management positions, the decision to hire the gest candidate is not based on race, sex, color, or Military affiliation.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short Staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K