Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Medical Support Assistant

Found 356 reviews matching the search See all 5,376 reviews
It was good
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2019
I loved my job and the veterans. I retired medically and left on my on accord. I like they let you off for medical appts with no problems because it was right there. Overall great employer that looks out for vet employees.
This a very rewarding place to work
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 16, 2019
Excellent place to work, what greater place to work where you serve the men and women that served you. Wonderful patients that give joy when you embrace them with your presence each day you come to work.
Pros
There are so many beneifits here at the V.A. school re-inbursement, tax free store, a family community.
Cons
It's important that you want to be here to get best of the best
Job security
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 11, 2019
The VA is a good place to work for job security. The wages are better than what a civilian company would consider paying for the same experience. A typical day at work is incredibly busy, and if you work with the veterans directly it can be difficult at times. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you are helping sometimes the most vulnerable groups of people.
The VA is a place of diverse skill levels and personalities
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NV 89511September 6, 2019
Working at the VA starts the same way, with everyone trying to find them somewhere close to park. That seem to be the one common denominator for all VAs. So much so it has become a punch linel
Job Advancement
ADVANCED MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 3, 2019
When hired in as an Medical Support Assistant, it's hard to advance ( unless former military). They tend to be always short staffed in this area. The pay is good, but could be better with all you're expected to do in the course of the day. Insurance is too expensive to have unless you're married.
Good Starter Job
Advanced Medical Support Assistance (AMSA) (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84148August 29, 2019
This is a good job to get your foot in the door. AMSA is a GS 6 Step 1 if you are just starting out, which equates to about $1,110 every two weeks. Which isn't bad since there are people in the world making less than this. You have a supervisor that you report to if you are calling in sick or need to take leave. In Primary Care and Women's Clinic, you have three team leads that you have to report to. You will find that in this environment, the word teamwork doesn't mean "teamwork" in the traditional since. There are a few bad employees that cause everyone else to get chastised, but the world seems to revolve around them. You will find quite the amount of lazy individuals here. You are expected to meet made appointment quotas weekly to get a good performance rating. If you finish your work, you are expected to ask for more work (which takes away the work from the people who are supposed to be doing the work). Overall, this is a decent job that reminds you of high school drama. You will often find yourself highly frustrated, but at least you get a paycheck.
Pros
it's a job, benefits, pto, you get to help the vets
Cons
lazy workers, you don't get paid enough for drama
Management is TERRIBLE
ADVANCED MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 29, 2019
Don’t work here unless you’re ready to be belittled and singled out by management. They have friends and are rude to anyone not in their circle.......
Pros
Flexible breaks
Great job
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perry, FL 32347August 28, 2019
Great place to work has great benefits, you can grow, & have a great retirement plan. If you are looking for a great career working for the VA is A wonderful start
Working with Veterans /Scheduling appointments/Insurance verification
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Travis AFB, CAAugust 26, 2019
Enjoy working with Veterans and professional Medical staff that appreciated the sacrifices that were given by men and women for their countrymen. Very good place to work; if you like helping people this is a good job for you.
Summary
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newington, CTAugust 25, 2019
I love the VA! I would recommend working for this company to anyone. The people are great and management is understanding and flexible. If you want to be happy at work work for the VA.
Workplace Culture
Supervisory Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSAugust 21, 2019
In reference to workplace culture, it has improved somewhat. There are still some things that need improvement to include hiring a Program Assistant to run certain reports and help with review of the clinic numbers in reference to booked and none booked appointments, etc.
Very oppressive
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 11, 2019
Understaffed, Extremely busy work environment. Supervisors rarely addressed problems hostile work environment with both employees and customers. Extreme nepotism throughout.
Work Life at the VA
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 8, 2019
Fast-paced environment with friendly and helpful people. Everyone works together for the care of the veterans and their families. Our goal is to make sure all their needs are met in a timely manner.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Compensation
I loved my job and really enjoyed Assisting my fellow Veterans and would love to work for the Department of Veterans Affairs again.
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 7, 2019
I loved my job and really enjoyed Assisting my fellow Veterans and would love to work for the Department of Veterans Affairs again if given the chance
very rewarding Job to work with the Verterans who fought for our rights
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 4, 2019
This job is very rewarding in all aspects of being free and be able to have free speech. loved my job seeing our veterans and helping them everyday. The hardest part about this job was working in the surgical service line due to them not doing things correctly and always making things hard on the employees. My co-workers were great also I never had complaints. The only thing that needed worked on was management in the service line and it still does.
Good place
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TN 37129August 1, 2019
Good place to work Great people and love for job nice environment and give great reality to world of vets good communication and good company to work for
Great benefits
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCJuly 28, 2019
Working at the va, you have great benefits and it is very rewarding to work with the veterans. You have good and bad coworkers but watch out because many of them will step on you to get to where they want to go.
Pros
Veterans and benefits
Cons
Coworkers
Professional Atmosphere
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bay Pines, FLJuly 24, 2019
Being employed by the VA I feel is a very good place for upward mobility and job security. I find that most of the people who work here care about our veterans and want to help where needed.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Lack of placement for qualified employees
N/a
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montrose, NYJuly 23, 2019
Too many process changes without proper training or explanation. Or old PowerPoint presentations of systems not in use anymore. Lack of leadership interaction or prescience with front-line staff. Little job advancement opportunities.
Gereat place to work!!
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KY 42240July 23, 2019
On a daily I was able to assist with patient care for some amazing woman and men that sacrificed themselves to ensure our rights in this country. The environment was great I loved the people that I worked with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K