Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Licensed Practical Nurse

Excellent Care and place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 10, 2017
Team Nursing, Pxyis medication distribution, Mobile computer carts, numerous medications 5-15 given to clients, wound care, bowel care, Iv Therapy, Blood Draw, hanging blood, Rehab, SCI, TBI, ALS, MS, Radiation Therapy/Chemotherapy
Pros
Excellent career ladder raises
Cons
poor management training/ stagnant theories
Good education program for staff.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVOctober 10, 2017
My work at the VA was a temporary position but I was impressed by the organization of management and the willingness of staff to support one another. It was also gratifying to work with the Veterans.
Pros
Friendly and helpful staff.
Cons
No full time positions available at the time I worked there.
Terrible please to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 10, 2017
This was the worst place to work, the environment which includea the management, staff and infrastructure was toxic, life threatening, and unhealthy. I feel sorry or my follow veterans.
Pros
caring for the veterans
Cons
none, but days ways from there
Fast paced and structured environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 5, 2017
Fast paced/ structured. Good benefits. Good hours. Team work. Everyone works together. Treated equally. Clean work area, enjoy working with veterans.
Pros
Good benefits
Benefits not worth the time wasted
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 5, 2017
There is no room for career advancement at the VA unless you know someone or are related to someone higher up. The training is very poor and if management doesn't feel like you fit in their click than they will work their hardest to make you lose your job. Very poor and stressful environment nor do they pay you on time.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Every aspect of the environment
competitive
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 16, 2017
Need better pay for all staff. Need incentives for staff and recognition. Increase pay of step increases and all VA locations should have locality pay.
benefits
Cons
low wages
VA Nurse
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 14, 2017
Good opportunities for job growth and advancement. Excellent programs for furthering education in various areas in the healthcare industry. Good place to retire from.
Pros
You can transfer all over the world.
Cons
Need better management......
stable employment, management needs to be more compassionate to employees
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 29, 2017
Good pay, good benefits. Management needs to be more compassionate to emplyees and not be rude. To heavy workload, no help. To much training, some are ridiculouse
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
management
To care for those who have borne the battle. -Abraham Lincoln
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVMay 20, 2017
Being a LPN at the VA is a very rewarding and challenging career. The veterans and the staff become like family as you care for them over the years. A typical day for me at the VA would be to work along side a RN to accommodate the unique needs of each patient. From passing medications, collecting labs, insertion of drains and tubes, down to simple activities of daily living. At the VA veterans day is every day.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Productive place of work
LPN (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2017
I enjoyed my time and benefited from the educational opportunities that were given. The VA had many new tasks that were being installed and these tasks would help the new and young veterans that were coming for rehab.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Too much management
productive place of employment
LPN (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 6, 2017
I enjoy my job, great health insurance, great place to continue to continue your education. the staff is great to work with. management is great with communication
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 26, 2017
Great opportunities. I great place to work with great people. Working at the VA is like working with family. The benefits can't be matched anywhere else.
Great to work with Veterans
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 18, 2017
It is great to work with Veterans, but have been nursing and completed a Masters in Health Administration. Unable to move into an administration job with out taking a large cut in pay.
Pros
Work with Veterans
Cons
Unable to move up
A great place to be a nurse .
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 12, 2017
My job with the federal government at the hospital and the long term care facility was exciting and a challenge. I got to see and interact
with workers who were both civilian and military.

No time to get bored many new things to learn both about people and myself. So why retire? thought I was ready to sit back and relax well, I wasn't missed the talents I acquired, and using them to help others get through a rough patch in their life.
Pros
great learning enviorment.
Cons
Parking
Poor working environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 11, 2017
Very large turn over rate with nursing staff and physicians. Poorly managed. Lunch breaks are not scheduled. You may be required to work over, but are not given overtime, rather comp time (at your regular rate) to use at a later date.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
No lunch breaks
very good team work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  lawton,okApril 10, 2017
we worked on a unit that had 50 reisdents to each unit i was resposible for one side of the unit to do med admin and wound care . I enjoyed the oppurtunity to be able to care for the veterans.
A great place to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (GS-5) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 31, 2017
A great place to work. Always an honor to serve those who serve this country. Teamwork is priority and it shows daily! Knowledgeable staff and a great place to learn and grow.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
parking
Close knit group of nurses in my area.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Kernersville, NCMarch 13, 2017
I arrive at 6:30am 30 min. early for my shift I check the equipment such as Med. refridgerator, Glucometer, Crash cart and pt. rooms. I log into any computers I might be using that day, check the schedules, stock rooms if needed. I start at 7am checking in and triaging pt's every 20 - 30 minutes thru the day until 530pm. I have a 30 minute lunch break at 1130 am which tends to go very fast. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the outsides idea that the VA is bad and that all VA's are alike. I love for our pt's to tell me that they appreciate us and and how good we are to them it makes my day.
Fast paced nursing home care
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAMarch 8, 2017
My typical day at work includes: safe medication administration and monitoring there effects, educating residents on medications and their care, supervising nursing assistant care, reporting resident status changes to appropriate provider, monitoring for potential safety hazard and correcting them, documenting, in detail, daily care provided. I have learned to give care according to importance giving me the ability to recognize what should be done first.I work in a culture of resident and family centered care where family concerns are considered important but at times are hard to satisfy. The most enjoyable part of my position is working with the Veteran community.
Pros
I enjoy working with our Veterans
Cons
Meeting the demands of the Veterans
Great place to further your education and overall advancement
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOFebruary 16, 2017
I truly enjoy working with the veterans, very fulfilling....I tell them you took care of the U.S. then and now it's time for us to take care of you....

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.