Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Licensed Practical Nurse

Found 145 reviews matching the search See all 5,720 reviews
No advancement if you are an LPN
Former LPN (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2020
There is no growth for advancement. Lpn grade stop at a 7. To advance you will definitely have to give up your LPN title and work in a different department. Lpn's fall at the bottom if you ask me. You will do majority of all the hands on work. I know some RN's making 6 figures. I say get your foot in the door, but apply for other jobs that that lead to higher pay an advancement. I did.
Can be a positive place to work, love co-workers
LPN (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJanuary 7, 2020
Has potential, benefits are great but management leaves a lot to be desired,changes come without notice or thought of how the changes will affect patients or staff
No flexibility
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 6, 2020
There is no flexibility at the VA. Manager was not flexible when it came to having to go to doctors. If you did not have the time to be off she would right you up awol. I only worked there 2 months and went back to home health.
Great to work with Veterans and their families
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 12, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with Veterans and their families. A typical day at work is great. The hardest part of the job is loosing Veterans.
Administratively difficult
Primary care Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 4, 2019
THE WORK IS FINE. ADMINISTRATION IS HORRIBLE. VERY TOP HEAVY. gave immunizations, checked vitals. worked directly with providers. taught patients about their diagnosis and medications.
I worked there for 17 years
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLNovember 25, 2019
The VA offered me security, benefits, full time only work, worked for different departments. Now that I am working per diem, I see how great my job was at the VA. Wish they offered transitioning into part time before retirement, but they didn't, so I left with 17 years. Should of stayed for 20 years, much better retirement!
I love the people i work with and they are so supportive
Licensed Practical Nurse (Certified Whole Health Coach- GS7) (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 24, 2019
I love my coworkers and ny job, but most of all the pt there are so nice and funny makes it all fun to come to work every day. The hours works for me because i have a son.
Great place to work!
LPN (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 20, 2019
Work with the greatest people at the VA and consider it an honor to take care of our nation's veterans! The benefits are amazing. The va matches 5% in your tsp and retirement informationals are available multiple times per year.
Great working enviroment
LPN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NC 28546October 10, 2019
At this establishment the nursing manager was very motivational. She always encouraged the staff to go further with their education and learn more duties.
Great management, team atmosphere, taking care of the Veterans
LPN/Telehealth Technician (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 28, 2019
Honored to be able to keep the promise. Working in a team atmosphere seeing out countries Veterans being provided with quality care improvement in providing care times.
Best benefits
STAFF LPN (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSSeptember 24, 2019
This is a good work environment with the best benefits. The Veterans are the best patients in the world. The pay is fair. I love my co-workers. I'll retire from here.
Working with Veterans is awesome
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVSeptember 10, 2019
The atmosphere is friendly. Very inclusive. Veteran friendly and therapeutic. Up to date with technology and a very excellent orientation process. They have a lot of activities and education for staff that is ongoing. A lot of opportunities for continuing education
Pros
A lot of benefits
Cons
Too long of a probation period
Very poor to work for!!!!!!!!!!!!Toxic environment!!!!!!!!!!Retaliative-harassing-hostile
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Mtn Home, TN, Sevierville Outpatient ClinicSeptember 7, 2019
Management creates a hostile, retaliative, harassing work environment. your job will double and triple (unsafe) and they will not hire anyone to help you. You will be subjected to unsafe practices of medicine,unsafe care for your patients and if you speak up about safety concerns or disagree it is like being terrorized by management. Severe micromanagement, it is a toxic work environment,management will do favors for employees to file complaints on other employees,you are ordered to lie and do things against Veterans and other employees-and if you tell them no you do not want to do those things you are drug through what they call a fact finding and that is when they recruit other employees ( their soldiers as called) to file complaints against you. This environment will physically and mentally drain the life out of you!It is a shame that our Veterans and employees have to be subjected to this by management, it is all about how many numbers they can run through so the management team can say look at the numbers we see, and their bonuses are bigger. My advise is stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Protect your license and your livelihood!!!!!!!!!!!! This I experience working at an outpatient clinic controlled by Mountain Home in Johnson City. The only good thing was the Veterans and how they treat you.
Challanging
LPN (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 2, 2019
I would not recommend working for the VA. In addition to a pay cut you will have to jump threw hoops to get the job. The entire hiring process takes upward of six months or longer. There is no stability in the work environment. They expect you to drive to any site they see fit with out any compensation for your drive time or fuel, try being hired for a site five miles away then being hired and told to drive 140 miles everyday since they are short staffed. I have been driving that far for months now. And forget overtime, they expect you to stay until everything is done and not get additional pay. I am a nurse but was thrown into the lab with very little training on blood processing and left on my own. Expect to train yourself.
Benefits
Cons
Short lunches, no staff, very little training, stressful work environment
Great overall most employees
LPN (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 17, 2019
Good job security retirement plan hard to move up in some areas unless transfer to a new location/ unit. It takes too long to get hired in most cases several months.
Working relationship with Department of Veterans Affairs
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 15, 2019
My working for the VA was a great experience with great benefits the staff was amazing. The only complaint is the off tours do not get information passed to them in a timely manner.
Serving our veteran population is a great honor and privilege.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 15, 2019
Time-management, documentation, teamwork, and the ability to advocate for your patient as well as address patient needs and concerns is paramount to overall success on any unit. Work days are busy and challenging. Flexibility is key to supporting the unit goals. Every unit has its own pulse and rhythm - loving what you do - makes all the difference~!
Working at VA has been an awesome experience. There's so much to learn as well as serve our veterans whom have made the ultimate sacrifice.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 24, 2019
Working at VA is very rewarding. There possibility of promotions are great. VA encourages professional and personal growth. Our staff members are compassionate and supportive. Just knowing that I am delivering the best care to the nations heroes that have sacrificed their life and family life to protect and serve makes me feel honored.
Pros
Retirement, health benefits, competitive pay grades, tuition reimbursement, flexible staffing
Cons
Fast paced
Informative and interesting
LPN I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2019
Enjoyed working with veterans as I am a fellow veteran also, the atmosphere was very educational but busy at times. Enjoyed my coworkers and the relationships that I built within the VA.
Not African Americans friendly; doesn't promote growth for African Americans
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 1, 2019
This institution is a joke. They put programs out there as bait to reel you in, but once you take advantage of them, they make it impossible for you to utilize it! They refuse to work with your schedule. In the end, all I and others wanted is to grow and better serve the Veterans of this country.
Pros
health care and pension
Cons
employee programs, management, and HR/Management/Employee communication relations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K