Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Licensed Practical Nurse

Found 130 reviews matching the search See all 5,202 reviews
Working relationship with Department of Veterans Affairs
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 15, 2019
My working for the VA was a great experience with great benefits the staff was amazing. The only complaint is the off tours do not get information passed to them in a timely manner.
Serving our veteran population is a great honor and privilege.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 15, 2019
Time-management, documentation, teamwork, and the ability to advocate for your patient as well as address patient needs and concerns is paramount to overall success on any unit. Work days are busy and challenging. Flexibility is key to supporting the unit goals. Every unit has its own pulse and rhythm - loving what you do - makes all the difference~!
Working at VA has been an awesome experience. There's so much to learn as well as serve our veterans whom have made the ultimate sacrifice.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 24, 2019
Working at VA is very rewarding. There possibility of promotions are great. VA encourages professional and personal growth. Our staff members are compassionate and supportive. Just knowing that I am delivering the best care to the nations heroes that have sacrificed their life and family life to protect and serve makes me feel honored.
Pros
Retirement, health benefits, competitive pay grades, tuition reimbursement, flexible staffing
Cons
Fast paced
Informative and interesting
LPN I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2019
Enjoyed working with veterans as I am a fellow veteran also, the atmosphere was very educational but busy at times. Enjoyed my coworkers and the relationships that I built within the VA.
Not African Americans friendly; doesn't promote growth for African Americans
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 1, 2019
This institution is a joke. They put programs out there as bait to reel you in, but once you take advantage of them, they make it impossible for you to utilize it! They refuse to work with your schedule. In the end, all I and others wanted is to grow and better serve the Veterans of this country.
Pros
health care and pension
Cons
employee programs, management, and HR/Management/Employee communication relations
Loved it!
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILJanuary 2, 2019
I absolutely LOVED working here. Working with veterans has been a passion of mine for a very long time. There is a long line of vets in my family and being able to give back to them was very rewarding. Unfortunately, I had to move abruptly and was unable to reach an agreement with my manager prior to me leaving. Hopefully, I will be able to return to the VA in my state to continue working in the setting I love.
Pros
Veterans!, benefits, pay
Cons
Long wait to move from LPN to RN once licensed
Great place to work if you're an RN, LPN, forget it
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Prescott, AZDecember 7, 2018
Love the work, the Veterans but have yet to see a raise in 10 years or more. Leadership will lie about giving a raise and the salary surveys that were suppose to have been done. Total lack of respect for the LPNs yet we are worked just as hard as the RN's. Nurse Practitioners, PA's and Police are all in the same boat. They preach respect yet give none.
Pros
The people we serve, benefits we can pay for
Cons
disrespect
LPN (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 10, 2018
As long as you allow the management to keep you in a PLANTATION state of mind then you will make it there. Very toxic place to work. It is not worth the headache and low pay.
Pros
Working with the Vets and going home to normalcy at the end of your shift.
Cons
Management, Upper, Middle and Lower
Working at the Veteran Administration was the most rewarding of all my positions as an LPN. Serving our veterans gave me a pride in my work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 28, 2018
I would still be working at the Veteran's Administration if they offered part-time work. I was having some health problems in 2015-2016 that led to my retirement. The work is very rewarding most of the time. A veteran may become upset very easily due to PTSA for TBA (traumatic brain injury). It takes a patient and caring nurse to be able to defuse a situation.
Pros
No Weekends, Holidays, or nights. Also receive the federal holidays as well. Tuition reimbursement.
Cons
The VA in Evansville is micromanaged by the VA in Marion, Illinois. There is a problem with communication at times.
Awesome people trying to do the best for veterans
LPN/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OHOctober 13, 2018
It is unfortunate that the media portrays the VA in such a negative way by only reporting part of the story or what may seem bad, just to get ratings. What the VA does well is care for the veteran culture group better than anyone else will ever be able to do.
Room for improvement on work environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 6, 2018
Lots of opportunities for personal and professional growth. Good place to start or end a variety of careers. Challenges are available. Traveling is encouraged.
Pros
Great income, friendship potentials, retirement made easy
Cons
Very stressful at times, fast paced
Wonderful place to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 27, 2018
It's an honor to serve and care for our veterans. I come home from work on a daily basis, even if it has been a difficult day, feeling good about serving our veterans who served us and our country. There is always a staff member available to help others in any given situation and the VA is amazing in regards to training.
Pros
Supportive departments and nursing staff
Cons
Short breaks
My career at Dept. of Veterans Affairs
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 20, 2018
Enjoyed my 27.5 year career
Best employer I have worked for
5 stars for Dept. of Veterans
VA provides opportunities for advancements with education reimbursement .
Fast paced
Specialty LPN (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 11, 2018
The Vets are awesome to work with. Coworkers awesome. Management played favoritism. I quit because of the whole atmosphere. It’s not a positive place to work.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
I enjoyed working at the WBVAMC
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed my job at the WBVAMC but unfortunately I was going to school full time and there is no opportunity to work part time at this facility. Due to this I had to resign as a PACT LPN and find a job outside of the VA to work part time or per diem to further my career.
patient focused care
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (Former Employee) –  Decorah, IAJuly 2, 2018
high paced job. Work is challenging. THe best government job I have had. Totally focused on quality care to veterans. Work environment was awesome.
Veteran care
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZJune 13, 2018
Team leader on CLC2 mid shift. Loved every aspect of my job, the staff, most of all the Veterans. We were expected to do more with less , ie, equipment, staff, supplies at times. No raises for LPNs in over 10 years..just the ordinary cola yearly. LPNs did the same job as RNs and never got a raise or even a pat on the back. Poor management.
Pros
Veterans and great staff...nurses, cnas
Cons
Management no
lpn
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJune 6, 2018
wish is I still worked there I miss fort collins colorado clinic. I loved the patients there the hardest part of the Job back than the management that worked there would not approve our vacation days off we had to fight for it it may have changed
Great pay for no life.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJune 4, 2018
The Department of Veterans affairs is a federal job that demands a lot. You work multiple shifts with hardly no weekends off. If you are the low man on the seniority pole you can forget about a vacation or transfer opportunities. I have been an employee now for 5 months and i feel i have made a mistake accepting the nursing job i am now currently doing.
Poor management
LPN (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GA 30904May 15, 2018
My most enjoyable moments were taking care of the veterans the worst part was poor management and the coroption of the va system down south if I would have stayed out west I may have not resigned ,
Pros
Loved taking care of vets after 14 yrs
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K