Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Licensed Practical Nurse

Too much waste of time and no responsibility
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 13, 2018
Too many lifetime employees who know how to milk the system. Management will not correct employees because they will run to the union and complain. As long as you come to work and fill a seat you can do whatever you like all day long. Some of the clinics were up to three years behind with no reason to be. Witnessed staff yelling, cursing and being vulgar in front of patients on a daily basis. I was so disappointed with my coworkers behavior and the lack of accountability. Our Veterans deserve better!!
Pros
Working with Veterans
Cons
No accountability
Good work place
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 29, 2018
I love working here. The offer competitive salary and benefits. They help balance your work schedule around your home life. They are one of the few companies that continue to offer a pension.
loved it-every single thing~
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 17, 2018
I loved working with veterans. It was a joy to serve them and get to hear their stories everyday. I enjoyed my coworkers as well. We truly worked as a team and became like one big family we shared ups and downs and to this day we are as close as family.
Pros
Good benefits, good coworkers
Cons
Sometimes govt gets in the way
Would definately recommend!
LPN (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 12, 2018
The VA is a great place to work. If only it would have been closer to home, I would have stayed the rest of my career there, but driving 600 miles a week got to be too exhausting.
Great benefits but not much room to grow as a nurse
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLNovember 27, 2017
It is a fast paced job. Unfortunately not all VA facilities are the same, some are better than others in regards to helping you with furthering your education and advancing in your career.
Excellent Care and place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 10, 2017
Team Nursing, Pxyis medication distribution, Mobile computer carts, numerous medications 5-15 given to clients, wound care, bowel care, Iv Therapy, Blood Draw, hanging blood, Rehab, SCI, TBI, ALS, MS, Radiation Therapy/Chemotherapy
Pros
Excellent career ladder raises
Cons
poor management training/ stagnant theories
Good education program for staff.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVOctober 10, 2017
My work at the VA was a temporary position but I was impressed by the organization of management and the willingness of staff to support one another. It was also gratifying to work with the Veterans.
Pros
Friendly and helpful staff.
Cons
No full time positions available at the time I worked there.
Terrible please to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 10, 2017
This was the worst place to work, the environment which includea the management, staff and infrastructure was toxic, life threatening, and unhealthy. I feel sorry or my follow veterans.
Pros
caring for the veterans
Cons
none, but days ways from there
Fast paced and structured environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 5, 2017
Fast paced/ structured. Good benefits. Good hours. Team work. Everyone works together. Treated equally. Clean work area, enjoy working with veterans.
Pros
Good benefits
Benefits not worth the time wasted
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 5, 2017
There is no room for career advancement at the VA unless you know someone or are related to someone higher up. The training is very poor and if management doesn't feel like you fit in their click than they will work their hardest to make you lose your job. Very poor and stressful environment nor do they pay you on time.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Every aspect of the environment
competitive
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 16, 2017
Need better pay for all staff. Need incentives for staff and recognition. Increase pay of step increases and all VA locations should have locality pay.
benefits
Cons
low wages
VA Nurse
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 14, 2017
Good opportunities for job growth and advancement. Excellent programs for furthering education in various areas in the healthcare industry. Good place to retire from.
Pros
You can transfer all over the world.
Cons
Need better management......
stable employment, management needs to be more compassionate to employees
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 29, 2017
Good pay, good benefits. Management needs to be more compassionate to emplyees and not be rude. To heavy workload, no help. To much training, some are ridiculouse
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
management
To care for those who have borne the battle. -Abraham Lincoln
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVMay 20, 2017
Being a LPN at the VA is a very rewarding and challenging career. The veterans and the staff become like family as you care for them over the years. A typical day for me at the VA would be to work along side a RN to accommodate the unique needs of each patient. From passing medications, collecting labs, insertion of drains and tubes, down to simple activities of daily living. At the VA veterans day is every day.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Productive place of work
LPN (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2017
I enjoyed my time and benefited from the educational opportunities that were given. The VA had many new tasks that were being installed and these tasks would help the new and young veterans that were coming for rehab.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Too much management
productive place of employment
LPN (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 6, 2017
I enjoy my job, great health insurance, great place to continue to continue your education. the staff is great to work with. management is great with communication
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 26, 2017
Great opportunities. I great place to work with great people. Working at the VA is like working with family. The benefits can't be matched anywhere else.
Great to work with Veterans
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 18, 2017
It is great to work with Veterans, but have been nursing and completed a Masters in Health Administration. Unable to move into an administration job with out taking a large cut in pay.
Pros
Work with Veterans
Cons
Unable to move up
A great place to be a nurse .
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 12, 2017
My job with the federal government at the hospital and the long term care facility was exciting and a challenge. I got to see and interact
with workers who were both civilian and military.

No time to get bored many new things to learn both about people and myself. So why retire? thought I was ready to sit back and relax well, I wasn't missed the talents I acquired, and using them to help others get through a rough patch in their life.
Pros
great learning enviorment.
Cons
Parking
Poor working environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 11, 2017
Very large turn over rate with nursing staff and physicians. Poorly managed. Lunch breaks are not scheduled. You may be required to work over, but are not given overtime, rather comp time (at your regular rate) to use at a later date.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
No lunch breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K