Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Licensed Practical Nurse

Poor management
LPN (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GA 30904May 15, 2018
My most enjoyable moments were taking care of the veterans the worst part was poor management and the coroption of the va system down south if I would have stayed out west I may have not resigned ,
Pros
Loved taking care of vets after 14 yrs
Cons
Poor management
nurse
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 24, 2018
I worked on Med-Surgical floor. Some days could be stressful. I loved administering care and treatment to the patients. The hardest time was to see those that served have to deal with PTSD.
interesting place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILApril 2, 2018
enjoyed working with the veterens. It was in extended care and on the Psych ward. I was impressed with the updated technology that was used. They had a good med pass system. Everything was barcoded.
Pros
enjoyed working with the veterans
Cons
no cons
Lpn
Licensed practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 29, 2018
Overall the Department of veteran affairs is a great place to work but as far as job advancement it will take for ever to advance.I worked for almost 10 years and once i finish was unable to obtain a nursing job
Too much waste of time and no responsibility
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 13, 2018
Too many lifetime employees who know how to milk the system. Management will not correct employees because they will run to the union and complain. As long as you come to work and fill a seat you can do whatever you like all day long. Some of the clinics were up to three years behind with no reason to be. Witnessed staff yelling, cursing and being vulgar in front of patients on a daily basis. I was so disappointed with my coworkers behavior and the lack of accountability. Our Veterans deserve better!!
Pros
Working with Veterans
Cons
No accountability
Good work place
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 29, 2018
I love working here. The offer competitive salary and benefits. They help balance your work schedule around your home life. They are one of the few companies that continue to offer a pension.
loved it-every single thing~
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 17, 2018
I loved working with veterans. It was a joy to serve them and get to hear their stories everyday. I enjoyed my coworkers as well. We truly worked as a team and became like one big family we shared ups and downs and to this day we are as close as family.
Pros
Good benefits, good coworkers
Cons
Sometimes govt gets in the way
Would definately recommend!
LPN (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 12, 2018
The VA is a great place to work. If only it would have been closer to home, I would have stayed the rest of my career there, but driving 600 miles a week got to be too exhausting.
If you are willing to put in the work growth is possible.
Lpn (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRDecember 28, 2017
The VA provides many opportunities to grow. You have to be the one to determine if you want to put in the extra work or not. It is a fast paced job with little time to take a break. Be prepared to deal with some angry customers sometimes.
Great benefits but not much room to grow as a nurse
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLNovember 27, 2017
It is a fast paced job. Unfortunately not all VA facilities are the same, some are better than others in regards to helping you with furthering your education and advancing in your career.
Excellent Care and place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 10, 2017
Team Nursing, Pxyis medication distribution, Mobile computer carts, numerous medications 5-15 given to clients, wound care, bowel care, Iv Therapy, Blood Draw, hanging blood, Rehab, SCI, TBI, ALS, MS, Radiation Therapy/Chemotherapy
Pros
Excellent career ladder raises
Cons
poor management training/ stagnant theories
Good education program for staff.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVOctober 10, 2017
My work at the VA was a temporary position but I was impressed by the organization of management and the willingness of staff to support one another. It was also gratifying to work with the Veterans.
Pros
Friendly and helpful staff.
Cons
No full time positions available at the time I worked there.
Terrible please to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 10, 2017
This was the worst place to work, the environment which includea the management, staff and infrastructure was toxic, life threatening, and unhealthy. I feel sorry or my follow veterans.
Pros
caring for the veterans
Cons
none, but days ways from there
Fast paced and structured environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 5, 2017
Fast paced/ structured. Good benefits. Good hours. Team work. Everyone works together. Treated equally. Clean work area, enjoy working with veterans.
Pros
Good benefits
Benefits not worth the time wasted
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 5, 2017
There is no room for career advancement at the VA unless you know someone or are related to someone higher up. The training is very poor and if management doesn't feel like you fit in their click than they will work their hardest to make you lose your job. Very poor and stressful environment nor do they pay you on time.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Every aspect of the environment
competitive
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 16, 2017
Need better pay for all staff. Need incentives for staff and recognition. Increase pay of step increases and all VA locations should have locality pay.
benefits
Cons
low wages
VA Nurse
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 14, 2017
Good opportunities for job growth and advancement. Excellent programs for furthering education in various areas in the healthcare industry. Good place to retire from.
Pros
You can transfer all over the world.
Cons
Need better management......
stable employment, management needs to be more compassionate to employees
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 29, 2017
Good pay, good benefits. Management needs to be more compassionate to emplyees and not be rude. To heavy workload, no help. To much training, some are ridiculouse
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
management
To care for those who have borne the battle. -Abraham Lincoln
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVMay 20, 2017
Being a LPN at the VA is a very rewarding and challenging career. The veterans and the staff become like family as you care for them over the years. A typical day for me at the VA would be to work along side a RN to accommodate the unique needs of each patient. From passing medications, collecting labs, insertion of drains and tubes, down to simple activities of daily living. At the VA veterans day is every day.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Productive place of work
LPN (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2017
I enjoyed my time and benefited from the educational opportunities that were given. The VA had many new tasks that were being installed and these tasks would help the new and young veterans that were coming for rehab.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Too much management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K