Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Licensed Practical Nurse

Found 123 reviews matching the search See all 4,647 reviews
LPN (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 10, 2018
As long as you allow the management to keep you in a PLANTATION state of mind then you will make it there. Very toxic place to work. It is not worth the headache and low pay.
Pros
Working with the Vets and going home to normalcy at the end of your shift.
Cons
Management, Upper, Middle and Lower
Working at the Veteran Administration was the most rewarding of all my positions as an LPN. Serving our veterans gave me a pride in my work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 28, 2018
I would still be working at the Veteran's Administration if they offered part-time work. I was having some health problems in 2015-2016 that led to my retirement. The work is very rewarding most of the time. A veteran may become upset very easily due to PTSA for TBA (traumatic brain injury). It takes a patient and caring nurse to be able to defuse a situation.
Pros
No Weekends, Holidays, or nights. Also receive the federal holidays as well. Tuition reimbursement.
Cons
The VA in Evansville is micromanaged by the VA in Marion, Illinois. There is a problem with communication at times.
Room for improvement on work environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 6, 2018
Lots of opportunities for personal and professional growth. Good place to start or end a variety of careers. Challenges are available. Traveling is encouraged.
Pros
Great income, friendship potentials, retirement made easy
Cons
Very stressful at times, fast paced
Wonderful place to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 27, 2018
It's an honor to serve and care for our veterans. I come home from work on a daily basis, even if it has been a difficult day, feeling good about serving our veterans who served us and our country. There is always a staff member available to help others in any given situation and the VA is amazing in regards to training.
Pros
Supportive departments and nursing staff
Cons
Short breaks
My career at Dept. of Veterans Affairs
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 20, 2018
Enjoyed my 27.5 year career
Best employer I have worked for
5 stars for Dept. of Veterans
VA provides opportunities for advancements with education reimbursement .
Fast paced
Specialty LPN (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 11, 2018
The Vets are awesome to work with. Coworkers awesome. Management played favoritism. I quit because of the whole atmosphere. It’s not a positive place to work.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
I enjoyed working at the WBVAMC
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed my job at the WBVAMC but unfortunately I was going to school full time and there is no opportunity to work part time at this facility. Due to this I had to resign as a PACT LPN and find a job outside of the VA to work part time or per diem to further my career.
patient focused care
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (Former Employee) –  Decorah, IAJuly 2, 2018
high paced job. Work is challenging. THe best government job I have had. Totally focused on quality care to veterans. Work environment was awesome.
Veteran care
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZJune 13, 2018
Team leader on CLC2 mid shift. Loved every aspect of my job, the staff, most of all the Veterans. We were expected to do more with less , ie, equipment, staff, supplies at times. No raises for LPNs in over 10 years..just the ordinary cola yearly. LPNs did the same job as RNs and never got a raise or even a pat on the back. Poor management.
Pros
Veterans and great staff...nurses, cnas
Cons
Management no
Great pay for no life.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJune 4, 2018
The Department of Veterans affairs is a federal job that demands a lot. You work multiple shifts with hardly no weekends off. If you are the low man on the seniority pole you can forget about a vacation or transfer opportunities. I have been an employee now for 5 months and i feel i have made a mistake accepting the nursing job i am now currently doing.
Poor management
LPN (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GA 30904May 15, 2018
My most enjoyable moments were taking care of the veterans the worst part was poor management and the coroption of the va system down south if I would have stayed out west I may have not resigned ,
Pros
Loved taking care of vets after 14 yrs
Cons
Poor management
Productive... Good learning environment
LPN (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 25, 2018
Overall it was a good experience.. It was good for job longevity, however the management can use some improvements... The nursing staff was very knowledgeable and helpful... Other diciplines were kind and courteous... A really caring environment.
Definitely a good place for our veterans.. I walked away with a lot from my time with the Vetrans Affairs and will forever be grateful
nurse
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 24, 2018
I worked on Med-Surgical floor. Some days could be stressful. I loved administering care and treatment to the patients. The hardest time was to see those that served have to deal with PTSD.
interesting place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILApril 2, 2018
enjoyed working with the veterens. It was in extended care and on the Psych ward. I was impressed with the updated technology that was used. They had a good med pass system. Everything was barcoded.
Pros
enjoyed working with the veterans
Cons
no cons
Lpn
Licensed practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 29, 2018
Overall the Department of veteran affairs is a great place to work but as far as job advancement it will take for ever to advance.I worked for almost 10 years and once i finish was unable to obtain a nursing job
Too much waste of time and no responsibility
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 13, 2018
Too many lifetime employees who know how to milk the system. Management will not correct employees because they will run to the union and complain. As long as you come to work and fill a seat you can do whatever you like all day long. Some of the clinics were up to three years behind with no reason to be. Witnessed staff yelling, cursing and being vulgar in front of patients on a daily basis. I was so disappointed with my coworkers behavior and the lack of accountability. Our Veterans deserve better!!
Pros
Working with Veterans
Cons
No accountability
great
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 30, 2018
Great place to work. I love help veterans because I am one. Its like no other place you could work. It has its own culture. Patient can be very challenging.
Good work place
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 29, 2018
I love working here. The offer competitive salary and benefits. They help balance your work schedule around your home life. They are one of the few companies that continue to offer a pension.
Hard work
LPN, Community Living Center (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NC 28301January 21, 2018
Hard work. Not enough staff. Did not work to your license majority of the time. Would not want to work in that capacity again. Many of the other staff has been there for many years. Just not a place for me.
loved it-every single thing~
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 17, 2018
I loved working with veterans. It was a joy to serve them and get to hear their stories everyday. I enjoyed my coworkers as well. We truly worked as a team and became like one big family we shared ups and downs and to this day we are as close as family.
Pros
Good benefits, good coworkers
Cons
Sometimes govt gets in the way

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K