Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Licensed Practical Nurse

Found 140 reviews matching the search See all 5,485 reviews
I worked there for 17 years
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLNovember 25, 2019
The VA offered me security, benefits, full time only work, worked for different departments. Now that I am working per diem, I see how great my job was at the VA. Wish they offered transitioning into part time before retirement, but they didn't, so I left with 17 years. Should of stayed for 20 years, much better retirement!
I love the people i work with and they are so supportive
Licensed Practical Nurse (Certified Whole Health Coach- GS7) (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 24, 2019
I love my coworkers and ny job, but most of all the pt there are so nice and funny makes it all fun to come to work every day. The hours works for me because i have a son.
Great place to work!
LPN (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 20, 2019
Work with the greatest people at the VA and consider it an honor to take care of our nation's veterans! The benefits are amazing. The va matches 5% in your tsp and retirement informationals are available multiple times per year.
Great working enviroment
LPN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NC 28546October 10, 2019
At this establishment the nursing manager was very motivational. She always encouraged the staff to go further with their education and learn more duties.
Great management, team atmosphere, taking care of the Veterans
LPN/Telehealth Technician (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 28, 2019
Honored to be able to keep the promise. Working in a team atmosphere seeing out countries Veterans being provided with quality care improvement in providing care times.
Best benefits
STAFF LPN (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSSeptember 24, 2019
This is a good work environment with the best benefits. The Veterans are the best patients in the world. The pay is fair. I love my co-workers. I'll retire from here.
Working with Veterans is awesome
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVSeptember 10, 2019
The atmosphere is friendly. Very inclusive. Veteran friendly and therapeutic. Up to date with technology and a very excellent orientation process. They have a lot of activities and education for staff that is ongoing. A lot of opportunities for continuing education
Pros
A lot of benefits
Cons
Too long of a probation period
Very poor to work for!!!!!!!!!!!!Toxic environment!!!!!!!!!!Retaliative-harassing-hostile
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Mtn Home, TN, Sevierville Outpatient ClinicSeptember 7, 2019
Management creates a hostile, retaliative, harassing work environment. your job will double and triple (unsafe) and they will not hire anyone to help you. You will be subjected to unsafe practices of medicine,unsafe care for your patients and if you speak up about safety concerns or disagree it is like being terrorized by management. Severe micromanagement, it is a toxic work environment,management will do favors for employees to file complaints on other employees,you are ordered to lie and do things against Veterans and other employees-and if you tell them no you do not want to do those things you are drug through what they call a fact finding and that is when they recruit other employees ( their soldiers as called) to file complaints against you. This environment will physically and mentally drain the life out of you!It is a shame that our Veterans and employees have to be subjected to this by management, it is all about how many numbers they can run through so the management team can say look at the numbers we see, and their bonuses are bigger. My advise is stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Protect your license and your livelihood!!!!!!!!!!!! This I experience working at an outpatient clinic controlled by Mountain Home in Johnson City. The only good thing was the Veterans and how they treat you.
Challanging
LPN (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 2, 2019
I would not recommend working for the VA. In addition to a pay cut you will have to jump threw hoops to get the job. The entire hiring process takes upward of six months or longer. There is no stability in the work environment. They expect you to drive to any site they see fit with out any compensation for your drive time or fuel, try being hired for a site five miles away then being hired and told to drive 140 miles everyday since they are short staffed. I have been driving that far for months now. And forget overtime, they expect you to stay until everything is done and not get additional pay. I am a nurse but was thrown into the lab with very little training on blood processing and left on my own. Expect to train yourself.
Benefits
Cons
Short lunches, no staff, very little training, stressful work environment
Great overall most employees
LPN (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 17, 2019
Good job security retirement plan hard to move up in some areas unless transfer to a new location/ unit. It takes too long to get hired in most cases several months.
Working relationship with Department of Veterans Affairs
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 15, 2019
My working for the VA was a great experience with great benefits the staff was amazing. The only complaint is the off tours do not get information passed to them in a timely manner.
Serving our veteran population is a great honor and privilege.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 15, 2019
Time-management, documentation, teamwork, and the ability to advocate for your patient as well as address patient needs and concerns is paramount to overall success on any unit. Work days are busy and challenging. Flexibility is key to supporting the unit goals. Every unit has its own pulse and rhythm - loving what you do - makes all the difference~!
Working at VA has been an awesome experience. There's so much to learn as well as serve our veterans whom have made the ultimate sacrifice.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 24, 2019
Working at VA is very rewarding. There possibility of promotions are great. VA encourages professional and personal growth. Our staff members are compassionate and supportive. Just knowing that I am delivering the best care to the nations heroes that have sacrificed their life and family life to protect and serve makes me feel honored.
Pros
Retirement, health benefits, competitive pay grades, tuition reimbursement, flexible staffing
Cons
Fast paced
Informative and interesting
LPN I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2019
Enjoyed working with veterans as I am a fellow veteran also, the atmosphere was very educational but busy at times. Enjoyed my coworkers and the relationships that I built within the VA.
Not African Americans friendly; doesn't promote growth for African Americans
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 1, 2019
This institution is a joke. They put programs out there as bait to reel you in, but once you take advantage of them, they make it impossible for you to utilize it! They refuse to work with your schedule. In the end, all I and others wanted is to grow and better serve the Veterans of this country.
Pros
health care and pension
Cons
employee programs, management, and HR/Management/Employee communication relations
Loved it!
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILJanuary 2, 2019
I absolutely LOVED working here. Working with veterans has been a passion of mine for a very long time. There is a long line of vets in my family and being able to give back to them was very rewarding. Unfortunately, I had to move abruptly and was unable to reach an agreement with my manager prior to me leaving. Hopefully, I will be able to return to the VA in my state to continue working in the setting I love.
Pros
Veterans!, benefits, pay
Cons
Long wait to move from LPN to RN once licensed
Great place to work if you're an RN, LPN, forget it
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Prescott, AZDecember 7, 2018
Love the work, the Veterans but have yet to see a raise in 10 years or more. Leadership will lie about giving a raise and the salary surveys that were suppose to have been done. Total lack of respect for the LPNs yet we are worked just as hard as the RN's. Nurse Practitioners, PA's and Police are all in the same boat. They preach respect yet give none.
Pros
The people we serve, benefits we can pay for
Cons
disrespect
LPN (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 10, 2018
As long as you allow the management to keep you in a PLANTATION state of mind then you will make it there. Very toxic place to work. It is not worth the headache and low pay.
Pros
Working with the Vets and going home to normalcy at the end of your shift.
Cons
Management, Upper, Middle and Lower
Working at the Veteran Administration was the most rewarding of all my positions as an LPN. Serving our veterans gave me a pride in my work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 28, 2018
I would still be working at the Veteran's Administration if they offered part-time work. I was having some health problems in 2015-2016 that led to my retirement. The work is very rewarding most of the time. A veteran may become upset very easily due to PTSA for TBA (traumatic brain injury). It takes a patient and caring nurse to be able to defuse a situation.
Pros
No Weekends, Holidays, or nights. Also receive the federal holidays as well. Tuition reimbursement.
Cons
The VA in Evansville is micromanaged by the VA in Marion, Illinois. There is a problem with communication at times.
Awesome people trying to do the best for veterans
LPN/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OHOctober 13, 2018
It is unfortunate that the media portrays the VA in such a negative way by only reporting part of the story or what may seem bad, just to get ratings. What the VA does well is care for the veteran culture group better than anyone else will ever be able to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K