Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Promises unfulfilled
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84158November 27, 2017
Worked me in higher than grade level duties then denied promotion. As the song goes..they’ll use you, yes and abuse you, they’ll take your soul if you let them, oh but don’t you let them!
Favoritism, nepotism, discrimination, unethical behavior.... i started out intensely committed to helping veterans and now see that the very agency whose mission it is to help them treats civilian employees who have integrity with disdain. There are exceptions as i know employees in other divisions who are treated well. If you work there beware and watch your back.
Pros
Good benefits and good internship program
Cons
Management will throw you under the bus to get their bonuses
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 9, 2017
Great people, hard hours. Always pressured to work faster while delivering excellent customer service. No flexibility in shifts, out dated software that had to be used.
Benefits
Cons
lack of flexibility
Good working environment and people
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Darwin NTJuly 23, 2017
Enjoyed assisting veterans daily with their issues , interetung legislation and completing forms etc. muliskilling with my good interpersonal skills
Great Place
File Clerk/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 29, 2017
The VA provided training that was necessary to perform my job. Training was continuous, and very informative on a personal basis, as well as for my job performance. Being productive was essential to my department.
Pros
Paid time off
Love our veterans
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 14, 2017
I love the people, my job and how management do everything to help you and I love working with everyone. The workplace culture is a place I can say this is ware my kids can work. The hardest part about my job is when I am off or not working, because I miss the veterans and family. This is a family of staff that cares about each other and our veterans and family.
Pros
Keep working hard for our veterans.
Cons
Also room to add or improve.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 22, 2017
I don't have any complaints about the position at all. The training is thorough and the people are mostly friendly and want to you to succeed. Couldn't ask for more.
Pros
Relaxed dress code
Cons
Hours
Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSApril 2, 2017
Great pay and incentives fun work environment Good feeling when giving back to our country helping other veterans get health care and or answering questions.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Managment
VA is about politics
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 26, 2017
I was awarded $350 bonus for superior customer service, but was not offered a permanent position after my 1 yr. was up. I also was evaluated monthly by my supervisor and was always on "above expectations" for each category with no "things to work on". My boss forged documents and submitted them for firing me and because it was not presented accurately, the conflicting evidence and forgery was allowed to terminate me because Kansas is a work "at will" state.
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
breaks start at your desk and must be at desk to clock in from 15 min break.
Great Place to work
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 5, 2017
Was very rewarding place to work I learned a lot. Was had getting calls every 20 seconds and getting yelled at , but was very rewarding wen you were able to help out the few with the healthcare they deserved and they were very grateful that their bills were going to be paid or they found out they were eligible for the program.
Pros
Time was managed well
Cons
Calls were every 20 seconds and got yelled at a lot.
Not Interested
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2017
The hardest part of this job was not knowing what you would be doing from day to day. You were given a task, and quickly it is taken away before start
Pros
Good money
Cons
Horrible customer service
Good place to work other than low pay
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAJune 23, 2016
Moral is low, Pay is extremely low and below the national median, Our patients are well cared for, The physicians are excellent and truly care for our patients,
Pros
working with our vets, good hours, no call, Holidays off
Cons
Low pay, management
Customer Service Represetative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 28, 2016
I loved working at the VA, stayed for 33 1/2 years. Supervised 13 Employees. Learned many things. I believe that Veterans deserve the best treatment for their service
Pros
Greats Benefits
Don't ever work for Canteen Service!!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 8, 2016
i loved my job at the VA especially working with the Vets and helping them.
I hated where I worked .....
In the Canteen for the Veterans Canteen Service!
They underpay all of their employees and management gets all the good pay and the rewards.
The management people are horrible bosses who don't care anything about their employees or the Vets and their families.
They are mean miserable people who hate their job and take it out on everyone who comes in their store!
They NEVER want to promote their employees and hold them back on any and every job promotion they apply for.
They talk about you in front of you and behind your back and make the job so awful for you and everyone else!
Central Office needs to clean house and get rid of them. 😁😔😁😔
Pros
I loved working for the Vets and their families.
Cons
You will never get to move up!!! Pay sucks!
Government Job
Voluntary Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 29, 2015
Juggling act between administrative work and patient care. Facilities are a special place for someone who would like to give back to those who have sacrificed there lives for our freedom.
Pros
job stability
Productive work environment
PSA/customer service (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 7, 2015
I loved working with veterans, as I am one myself.
Helping veterans with their claims and making appointments was fullfilling.
Cons
Short lunches, Some bad staff memebrs/rule breakers
Work study
Customer Service Greeting, Physical Assisting (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 10, 2014
I was a secretary/work study attaining my Bachelors degree in Business Administration, BBA.
I learned society has such an easy life because of veterans.
My coworkers were great, the hardest part of the job was pleasing customers, and I enjoyed my study time.
Pros
Study time
Cons
Labor
Secure job, but not worth it.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2014
Working at the Department of Veterans affairs was great for only two reasons; veterans and my co-workers. Management at the VA ruins the entire experience of working for the VA, they create an atmosphere that will have your blood pressure through the roof and eventually will have you in counseling. You won't be able to tolerate how management views veterans. Don't even think about advancement, the only advancement you will get is by regulation for the time you put in. Don't think about lateral movement either, you're not going anywhere.
Pros
Savings Plan, regular scheduled promotion
Cons
Terrible managment, bad atmosphere
fun and poductive work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 9, 2013
Handled Inbound and Outbound calls, greeted patients, paged doctors. everyone treated me with respect.
Pros
Great working enviroment
Cons
short breaks on full appointment book.
Working for the VA was amazing and heart filling.
Customer service/food (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 10, 2013
A typical day at work for the VA was sometimes stressful, but always worth it. I worked on the register, hot line, pizza line, prepped all the food for the day and the next day. I learned that sometimes we may not like what we do, or our life, but that someone else always has it harder. Although I worked in the canteen it was so hard to see so many veterans in such bad condition. Even with them being so sick they always had a smile on their face. That brightened up my day. That was also the hardest part of the job. It wasn't the physical labor it was seeing so many people so sick. Management was amazing, Nanci always made sure all the employees were taking care of. We had the greatest team, everyone always pulled together to make sure all of our customers walked out happy.
Hard work
CSR & HR Office Automation (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 7, 2013
In my opinion - civilians were treated poorly
Micro managed
VA seemed eager to write-up employees
Pros
Benefits and wage
Cons
Micro managed and bullied

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K