Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Found 168 reviews matching the search See all 5,211 reviews
I enjoyed my job helping veterans
VETERANS SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 20, 2019
I felt the position I held was mission oriented and I loved helping the veterans with their disability claims. The position was stressful at times due to production and quality standards
Pressured work; not in Veteran best customer service assistance
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fargo, ND 58104August 14, 2019
Should be a great job to see e Amrica's Veterans...but mgt and processes were restrictive and focused on metrics--not on helping the Veterans. The mgt did not have Military experience!!!
horrible uncaring management
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2019
For a job that is all about helping people, it's amazing how little management cares about its customers and employees (often one in the same). It's all an elaborate numbers game with the rules changing constantly. I was saddened to see how older WW2 and especially Vietnam era vets are treated.
Pros
Fed job, fed benefits.
Cons
No individual is truly valued, just another body to pump out work quickly.
fast paced envirnoment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23249May 15, 2019
enjoy my service - would not leave except spouse received orders to a new duty station with the military so no option but to leave. I would like to add that the VA I am at says they does not offer a transfer program and or LWOP for spouses.
Regulations state otherwise.
I do not think that is fair to spouses at all. We serve just as our spouses do, there should be something in place for any and all military spouses who have to pick up and move as well and start over each time our active duty spouse receives orders to move across the state, ocean, or US.
Pros
supervisor was amazing
Cons
people do not act like adults nor communicate
Veteran Service Rep
VETERAN SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 15, 2019
Like any job, the VA is what you make of it. If you do the work you will get your timed advances. You do your work and no one messes with you. Great benefits, after a year you can work from home and they provide everything for you that you will need.
Pros
Work from home, great raises after a time, pick your work times
Cons
have to do many trainings, some time away required for other trainings
Stressful place to work
Rating Veterans Service Representative, GS-12 (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 28, 2019
good pay with great benefits but stressful place to work. Constant changes, poor leadership, confusing guidelines and a lot of infighting and politics.
Pros
good pay
Cons
stressful place
New employee; New career
Ratings Veteran Service Representative (GS-09) (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39216April 1, 2019
This is a challenging new career for me. I look forward to helping Veterans. I do not like that this is a production based job. Our pay raises are based on our production.
Pros
Flexibility after completing training
Cons
This is a production based job.
Na
Veteran Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMarch 25, 2019
Great experience. Management needed more assistance. Requirements are a bit too harsh but not impossible. Point system needs some tweaking. Decent work environment.
Supervisory Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2019
As a whole, the Department of Veterans Affairs is a good place to work. It offers great benefits, great time off, and provides good job security, but the job has become more and more stressful. Upper management has too many meetings, and doesn't allow supervisors enough opportunity to put an action plan into place. I am looking to relocate and see this an ample opportunity to make a much needed change, after 11 years.
Pros
Listed above
Cons
Listed above
Va
Veteran Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2019
VA is a difficult job stressful constant change.Often times laws change quickly hard to keep up . Data entry difficult and quality is overrated. Hard job and easy to get fired.
Pros
money
Cons
stressfull
Serving Veterans
Veteran's Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 21, 2019
As a Veteran myself I find it extremely rewarding to work for VA to serve Veterans needs for both compensation and Health Care. The job is both challenging an rewarding.
Work environment
Rating Veteran Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 19, 2019
The work environment is production driven. Neither the employee nor the customer matter as long as the correct amount of work is being performed every two weeks. If a veteran or new employee misses the production requirement for one two week period, the employee may be terminated. This policy is regardless of how many successful two week periods the employee accomplished throughout the year or years of service with the VBA.
Pros
great pay/benefits
Cons
everything else
Very Stressful and poor management
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55415February 12, 2019
The title says it all. The VA is very poorly managed and the jobs are very high stressed. The VA is all about numbers, quotas, and stats. I would not recommend the VA to anybody except to get your foot in the door for federal employment.
Nothing to say
Rating Veterans Service Rep (Federal job) (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCFebruary 5, 2019
Working at the VA is very stressful, required work increases without warning. If you make your production numbers your managers want you to do more. I was 10% over production and was told I needed to get more done
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
everything else
Not for individuals who think logically
Rating Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19144February 3, 2019
After the first six months at the VA, I knew I needed to leave. The employees were all miserable and extremely stressed out. The management was so incompetent (I worked in two offices and neither was able to manage the workload properly), that the system never ran smoothly. There is no cooperation or collaboration since everyone, including managers, are so concerned with their own job safety that it made everyone dishonest, deceitful, and depressed. The VA is a fear-based environment. I would not recommend this agency unless you are absolutely desperate for employment. It has consistently been rated one of the worst federal agencies for decades.
Pros
Cons
see review above...
Times are changing and it seems the focus is being lost
Veteran Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 26, 2019
The changes to the system and processing model in the last 6 months has made the job very stressful. It seems that upper management is more concerned with system processing than actually helping the Veterans and their families. They are trying to fit a Pension Processing structure into a Compensation system and do see that it is not working efficiently. As Pension is numbers driven whereas Compensation is illness (rating) driven.
Pros
VBA - Flexible hours/schedules, Work from home capabilities
Cons
Too Many to list
Appointments and Claims Rep
Customer Service Support (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FL 32086January 10, 2019
Provide customer service support to St Augustine based Veterans, for medical appointment schedule, medication refill status, and referral/consult status. Proficient in medical communication and new office technologies that apply to those in the health field; Managed the laboratory and prescription entry into the VA medical health record system.
It was a good place to gain experience
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 11, 2018
The Department of Veterans Affairs does a lot to help out veterans in need. I worked there part-time while attending school to augment my G.I Bill pay. They treated me very well, and the workload was manageable. If I ever needed time off for anything important, it was granted.
Pros
Flexible, Fast-paced, good co-workers
Cons
Pay
You're reeled in... only to realize you've been attacked by a SHARK!!
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 10, 2018
You'll go to Baltimore for a 6 week training course. It's a great time and the instructors are good. Sometimes you know what type of claims you'll be working (at the VARO back home) when you get to school and sometimes not. Once training is over, you work claims with a "mentor", but that person is on production also. The managers don't allow much time for them to assist you. As a claims worker, Washington DC sends down unrealistic production requirements and expectations. The VA spends all of this money to send you to school, but then uses "accountability", a word that is used as a scare tactic. If you miss making the "standards", you live in a panic wondering whether or not you'll get terminated. This is no way to function or live. The VA loses good workers daily due to the stress of this job as they try to adhere to a far reaching standard. It gives the impression that the VA only cares about numbers and not veterans.
Pros
Helping veterans
Cons
Stress, management not always helpful, no "Team" environment, Constant mandatory overtime
Great work enviroment
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 8, 2018
Over 5 years I worked my way up through the Department of Veterans Affairs. I have volunteered and been nominated to work special assignments, with great success. I have continued to excel through additional challenges. Hardest part of my job is not being able to effectively help Veterans the way I would like to. In the last year the environment has become less than favorable. With the overhaul within the department and National leadership over the Veterans experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K