Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Nursing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 30, 2018
Department provided good teamwork and professional working environment. Provided encouragement to obtain additional job related education. Provided opportunities for growth in education.
Pros
Team work
productive
Clinical Coordinator/Educator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2018
Stressful work environment ,poor work ethics by employees. Fair place to work, place to improve on leadership skills. Secure benefits and growth. Work culture is relaxed need to improve in professionalism.
Job Security
Medical Supply Technician, 0622 (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 30, 2018
not much to say, short staff means trying to get more work donew with less people. No rotation, problematic employees. lack of upward mobility or advancement
The va
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WA 99205May 29, 2018
Government Job that allows for some upward mobility, however restricts once you are hired on. Hard standards on Promotion based on Time in grade.A good place to work, but hard to get ahead.
Working here is a joke
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 29, 2018
The management lies about how long contracts are going to be a 2 month contract last over a year plus, they try to use people as long as they can and fire them and hire a new group of people. Helps them avoid hiring people permanently and save them from giving out benefits. Staff is very inconsistent people call out all the time and your forced to work in a high volume place by yourself with no support. Can you imagine working that long without sick days or vacation days, any employee that works the coffee shops doesn’t stay long at all the turnover rate is very high. The management doesn’t have control over schedules, breaks or anything they just fake it to make it. There are Rats I’m both cafeterias and they don’t do anything about it either.
Productive and fast paced environment.
VOLUNTEER ASSOCIATIONS (Current Employee) –  Newington, CTMay 29, 2018
Typical day included assisting veteran with any assisted services available at the department of veteran affairs. Giving more insight on federal and state offered benefits.
Pros
Networking with Veterans
Cons
Part time employment
Going to miss it
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2018
Great learning environment. here is always something new to do and see. I have some very helpful and knowlegdeable co worker and my boss is great to work with
Medical Reimbursement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIMay 29, 2018
My job was in a cubicle farm. It was fast paced but required sitting all day. The job was challenging and changing all the time. Internal transfer to other locations are very hard to do.
Good company
Housekeeper Aid (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78229May 27, 2018
Great for veterans and civilians alike. Enjoyed working with everyone. I worked both as a Can and before retirement as a housekeeper. Would consider working for the VA again part-time.
Love Working for Veterans
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 26, 2018
The sole reason I took the job at the VA is to help fellow veterans. My management wanted me to post 56 hours of AWOL for a staff member even though he called in and I could not consciously do that. My supervisor was off that day but I still got written up for not doing what I was told to do. The particular staff member went to our LMR Department and the department was told they could not do that because staff member had called in. I couldn't continue to work for those type of people.
Nice
Veterans Service Representative, GS (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 26, 2018
Awesome place to work, very veteran friendly. Awesome supervisors, awesome co-workers, nice environment. The Director is awesome, she cares very much for her employees.
Bad work envirome t
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Erie PAMay 26, 2018
Working for the Department of military and Veterans Affairs DMV a is it cuts code operation the turnover of Staff members is phenomenal nurses cna's mngment security it is a very Stern working Style erment and not a fair one I would not recommend this place to anybody that wants to have a long career or a fulfilling
Pros
Leave time
Cons
Lot of backstabbing
My Review
Nutrition Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheridan, WYMay 25, 2018
Working for VA was great except in the winter time; I had no vehicle and had to walk to work in subzero temperatures. The workplace culture for the most part was great; however, there were those in supervision that still believed in the old 'who you know' and caused some workplace friction rather frequently.
Pros
help veterans re-enter the work force after being unworkable
Cons
short breaks and not many if shorthanded and/or busy
Fullfilling
Realty Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 25, 2018
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs is a fulfilling experience. Veterans and Active Duty Service personnel sacrifice for our country. We owe it to them to support them.
Walking on broken glass
Configuration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2018
Worked with a very strong, intelligent team. Everyone had a lot of talent and information to provide and lend to the team. However, not sure if this was due to culture, however I felt that I was not allowed to share my knowledge with my team. Manager would seem fine one day, then make me feel like my job was at jeopardy the next. Never felt secure in my role and felt that trying to think out of the box or try new things with my job was always something they do not promote. Would never want to work for the VA again and would not recommend anyone else to do so either.
Pros
Benefits, hours
Cons
Work Culture, having to work with bitter employees
Love working at the VA
Home-Based Primary Care Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 24, 2018
HBPC was the most fullfilling Occupational Therapy position I’ve ever held. I was allowed to provide excellent care and endless access to equipment for our veterans.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Large caseload
Absolute nightmare.
Rating Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 23, 2018
Unless you are masochistic, do not accept employment at the VA. The pay is great - but NOT worth the stress. You will be berated if you work too slow - which about 90% of the population does. Awful place to work.
Lacks Professional Management
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (GS-6) (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NC 28805May 23, 2018
Lots of nepotism within the VA system. Poor management, can go weeks without seeing or hearing from a supervisor. Physicians greatly hinder clinic patient flow. HIPPA violations are rampant. Difficult to move up even with an undergrad and while working on a master's degree. Too many family members working at the same facility. Pay isn't balanced with workload.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Great job but very poor management
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 23, 2018
Working at the VA as an MSA was an honor to serve the veterans. It's typically self-paced and self structured job where you schedule appointments and/or check in-out veterans.

HAS is a terrible service to work for though. Management will bully and retaliate when given the chance.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
bad management
Don't
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 22, 2018
Non-Veteran employees are taken advantage of, and are held back due to illegal actions of the VA. Job Offers are not followed through with because the staff is not competent enough to have researched what programs they are offering the jobs through.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K