Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Showing all 4,690 reviews
I was very proud to have worked here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKOctober 27, 2018
This is a nursing home for our veterans. I worked in the maintenance department and I loved working here. I felt like I was helping our veterans. The people a great
Pros
NIce place to work
Cons
Did not pay a lot
Overall okay
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 27, 2018
Has helped me with my career overall. A good resume builder, management is awful, pay is awful, staffing is inadequate, benefits are not as great as you would think as they changed the retirement system a few years ago. Great for a new nurse to build nursing skills.
Government Work
Engineering Technician GS-09; Portfolio (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NEOctober 26, 2018
Each day is different. Never boring. Very challenging. Learn a lot. Become an expert. Not afraid to throw you into action. Opportunity to perfect your job.
Pros
Always learning.
Cons
Not everyone works as hard as I do.
Working for the VA is an excelent career for many opportunities to move around.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 26, 2018
I plan on returning to the VA to work in a different capacity. Work day was easy, fun and was able to interact with fellow veterans. The hardest part about the job was not knowing if a psych patient would be assaultive or not throughout the day.
Its a place where you can start
Service (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 26, 2018
Ok place to ; Great benefits, hours and they were flexible sometimes when it came to taking off for emergencies. This is a great place to get started in government

Management is poor
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 25, 2018
Workplace culture is hit or miss. Some departments are much better than others. Veteran co-workers are easy to work with, but military culture is still apparent, which shows through with gender inequity and cultural gaps with sexual and gender identities.
Good- but not great
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55417October 25, 2018
Pay is lower then the private sector, but benefits are good. Biggest problem is once a person gets past the one year probation, it is difficult yo fire them if they are bad employees- this includes cases of theft and drug use.
Pros
Mission Statement
Cons
Pay
Extremely interesting, detailed work. Confidentiality a must. Compensated well.
Veterans Claims Examiner and Rater (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 25, 2018
I was pleased because there was a great deal of responsibility with my job. I benefited from the length of time on the job. The job was challenging at times, detailed, and very interesting, which I enjoyed. It was a pleasure knowing I made a positive difference in the lives of veterans and their dependents. I enjoyed the professionalism of my coworkers.
Pros
Very rewarding and interesting. Very good pay and beneftits.
Cons
Continued pressure to produce more interfered with producing quality decisions.
Dependent Stable Job Environment
Integrated Care Services Nurse (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 25, 2018
Room for advancement, able to transfer to other departments or another state. Good benefits and stable work environment. Sometimes work schedule is hard to manage with school, but managers work with you to get you to your goal
No training - sink or swim enviroment
contract specialist for construction projects (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 25, 2018
Management has been here too long. Self center, does not make new employees feel welcome. Would not recommend this place. Managers are not helpful and only want to cover their backs.
Pros
Ok pay
Cons
Very poor management
The Most Enjoyable part of job
Intermittent Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 25, 2018
As you work at the VA the most enjoyable part of the job is serving the men and women who gave part of their lives in service to our country. Some will tell you their stories and you realize some of the sacrifices that were made in our behalf. It gives you joy to serve them
Pros
The Veteran's.
Cons
Clicks within the organization.
n/a
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, AR 72703October 24, 2018
Hard to advance and management team over current job not trustworthy. Fast paced, little to no recognition for job well done. Expected to do several different jobs because of low manning.
Productive and fun sometimes
Travel Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 24, 2018
Lots of meetings, learning experience. It was a great job that I wish I could have held on to. The work atmosphere was sometimes stressful, but once you get the hang of the job requirements, you're good to go.
Pros
Great job
Cons
Can be very demanding
welcome in a good, love to train
PIV Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 24, 2018
hard worker
team player
love hand on training
I mostly work over night, watch over my follow veteran
I am trusting employee
being a caregiver
a friend
Pros
trustful, hard worker
Cons
come to work too ar
My Review
Housekeeping aide (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 23, 2018
The veterans administration hospital is a great place to work. The benefits are really great you get 30 days a year of annual leave. Also, you get sick leave. All of my medical expenses are covered there as well.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
nothing
Run as fast as you can
Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 23, 2018
A typical day at VA is to go along with whatever the 'cool' kids suggest that you go along with or get put in a corner.

I learned what not to do to be an effective leader. For example, don't alienate employees, don't show favoritism, etc.

The workplace culture is tribe driven...there are factions and tribes. You are either in or out.

The hardest part of the job is going in every day with a true intention of supporting the mission and not being able to because of all of the immature and unethical practices surrounding you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is not being there.
Pros
non
Cons
Absolutely unethical leadership. Plan to work for contractors.
Supports our Veterans
Program Support Assistant, GS-06 (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 23, 2018
Great atmosphere
Education training
Be able to help Veterans
Incentives for employees
stressful, incompetent workers
Lead Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO 80220October 23, 2018
Management is a JOKE here. If you're good at your job you only get more work to make up for the incompetent workers. Supervisors and upper management have no idea what they are doing. The culture is bad. Patients are extremely rude. They don't discipline people who don't do their jobs, it's almost impossible to get fired from here. I can't stress enough how INCOMPETENT workers are here.
Pros
sick and annual leave
Structured and stable work environment, great benefits
Staff Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 22, 2018
Patients is the greatest perk of this job, but the more conventional benefits package is nothing to frown upon either. Staff is short but work hours are stable and pay scale allows for fair amount of lateral movement in terms of compensation within the same position
Solid Internship Training, Good Mentorship
Recruitment and Placement Policy Service Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2018
Interning at the V.A. was a great experience, I felt I was doing meaningful work that made a real impact on the department. I was given lots of responsibility and great training/support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K