Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

An exercise in frustration and futility
Contract Case Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2018
I will forever respect our brave military men and women for being injured at war and then injured again by the agency that purports to help them and still surviving. The VA is something to survive not utilize. The VA functions as an insurance company that is determined to deny coverage to its clients. You are taught to lie, to fudge numbers to keep the vets on rotation, they ask the contractors to do allot of their dirty work. Shameful place of rot and decay for all ethics.
Great place to work.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 31, 2018
The team I work with is superb.
Our leadership is superb. They care about their employees.
Real servant leaders here.
I learn new things every day.
The culture promotes change, sometimes it takes time.
The hardest part of the job is political aspects of the system extending beyond our facility.
Most enjoyable part of the job is our Veterans!
Very relaxed work environment
Health Technician (Prosthetics) (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 31, 2018
I enjoyed working with active military personnel and veterans and their families. Very fast paced ok environment, must be able to multitask.typical work day was 8 hours a day performing multiple tasks.
Pros
Working with the veterans and their family
Cons
Travel time to get to work
Serving Vets
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Patient ServicesJanuary 30, 2018
Serving my veterans. That is all i needed to say. The culture there for most is selfless and caring. It can be a tough job dealing with the bureacracy.
Wonderful work environment
IT Specialist/Support Internship (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 30, 2018
I worked as a intern and the experience was great. I worked with a friendly staff who gave me my first working networking experience. On a typical day we will start the day at around 8 AM see what was the workflow for the day and prioritize which basically consists of trouble tickets installing and removing computers and printers and solve end-users networking experiences ended they will end around 4:30 p.m.
Pros
A lot of experience
Cons
It was only an internship
Great workplace
Budget Chief (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2018
Management and culture is excellent. Enjoyable and exciting place to work. But unless you're in healthcare, not much for advancement. Still highly recommend.
management
Transportation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 30, 2018
A typical day is 8 hours.
I learned how to work with vets
It would help if management received more leadership training.
The most enjoyable part is being able to help the veterans.
Good
Veteran Transportation Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI 48105January 30, 2018
Productive and honorable cause

Serving those veterans who gave much for their country. The most difficult part of the job is balancing work load stress with home life.
Pros
Excellent
wonderful place to start or finish
Administrator on Duty (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 30, 2018
wonderful place to start or finish a medical career
for those in the middle other options might provide
greater opportunity to expand your roll and
develop as a leader.
Pros
job stability
Cons
chroniclly short staffed.
A good place to develop skills
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 30, 2018
This is a good career to have, and can be a challenging environment. As a veteran I enjoy serving the military and veteran population. In my line of work I do direct service, and administrative work. I enjoy working with a team of staff that that have an unwavering devotion to the clients that we serve.
Good work place
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 29, 2018
I love working here. The offer competitive salary and benefits. They help balance your work schedule around your home life. They are one of the few companies that continue to offer a pension.
enjoyable fast paced job
Dental Technician, Set-up and prep treatment rooms (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJanuary 29, 2018
Typical day is fast paced and satisfactory. Teamwork is key in the past paced world of dentistry. Management was available and curious when needed. would recommend applying.
VA Workplace Experience
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 29, 2018
I worked in as Vocational Counselor with Mental Health focus. I maintained an average of 280 cases. The average day would consist of meeting with Veteran to determine needs for employment and counseling. Meeting with external officials to ensure the Veteran needs are being accommodated in employment, housing, medical, and social services. Inputting payroll for Veterans who are attending academic programs, and case noting daily on the Veteran's status while participating in Chapter 31 program. I would consider that workplace manageable but most be able to work independently to be success, and must be willing to make decision and support the decision with evidentiary support. I am required to review cases for accuracy of content and validity. The most difficult part of the job is to stay abreast of policy and regulation to ensure proper entitlement to chapter 31 program. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping Veterans become successful in employment following disease, disabilities and illness. It's the best feeling ever.
Pros
Working in the help profession
Cons
Number of Veterans need help
Work with disabled Veterans to find employment
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, CRC (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2018
The Department of Veteran Affairs is an excellent job with good opportunities. You have the opportunity to help Veterans assimilate into civilian life.
Pros
Pto, salary, people you work with on a daily basis.
Cons
Large case loads
Ok
ASSISTANT CANTEEN CHIEF (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 29, 2018
Over worked. Under paid. The most enjoyable is working for the veterans. The hardest part is it Is hard to find someone who actually does their job...
A great Job
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 28, 2018
A typical day in my department is crazy and hectic. I worked in the Cafeteria. long lines of hungry people and the clean up is insane but because I care for my veterans I continue to do my part.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
constantly understaffed
C&P Department
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 28, 2018
Well administered department with oversite with adequate supervisory staff and internal review of reports with feedback is detailed oriented and helpful for success.
Pros
CT and OT
Cons
Approvals fot OT
Intra-Departmental Training
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 28, 2018
Assisting the Veteran and his family with questions concerning benefits this agency provides was one of the rewarding factors of this job. Continued Intra-Depatmental training on new local, state and federal policies pertaining to Veteran benefits.
Pros
Helping the Veteran who served this country.
Cons
Unable to identify any.
Team work
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2018
Friendly and relaxed co-workers make workplace's atmosphere very comfortable. People are very professional and they respect and help each other. They are passionate about what they do.
Be willing to stay in a stable place
Medical Record Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 27, 2018
Government is just the government what see is what you get. Polite s just like on t.v. Service the veteran was the most important thing that I liked about working for this company.
Pros
A job for life
Cons
Be willing to stay in the same position no able to grown

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K