Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Relaxed workplace
Staff Respiratory therapist (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNAugust 20, 2018
The VA in Murfreesboro TN is a relaxed atmosphere. There are 3 people per shift and we are allowed to manage our own work day. There is a great sense of team work between the staff therapist, all working well together. Sometimes the work load could be more to help the time move quicker. Patients get great care due to a very doable work load.
Pros
Relaxed work place
Cons
Could improve on newer equipment
The mission is an honor
Management and Program Analyst-GS (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 20, 2018
For those who have had the distinct privilege to serve our nation's heroes, in this manner, there's no better opportunity.

However, as with every organization, there are opportunities for improvement, particularly in management and communication. Managers need to be able to better understand how to get the best from their subordinate employees, while the subordinate employees must understand that their immediate responsibility is to ensure the success of their manager/supervisor. Sadly, this does not always occur.
Learning opportunity, fun work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2018
Reviewing and transcribing tapes, updating information on a software system. How to update information on a software database, the literature review of mindfulness. I worked with a friendly management team. The workplace culture is very official, professionalism is highly recommended. The hardest part of the job is initial introductory stage. The most enjoyable part of the job is updating the system with information obtained through transcribing and interviewing of the veterans.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 20, 2018
I'm getting too old for this type of work. It is fast pace and competitive in a working atmosphere that requires strenuous activity setting headstones.
Pros
5 day work week
Cons
Limited overtime
We work in the V.A. greenhouses, and outside on grounds
Manual Arts Therapist Asst., Psy Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIAugust 19, 2018
*Leading and training, along with working with outpatient veterans.
*Being able to teach and show veterans to improve there work skills,
and speak clearly, and always be willing to be a good listen.
*Each day, making sure I try to give time, to work with or assist all my veterans in my work clinic.
*In the greenhouse clinic, it was like a family affair, where all the veterans assigned to my clinic would enjoy being there, along with working there with other veterans.
*All the computer work, each day, all veterans that attend the clinic each day, I had to do a daily attendance note on each veteran that attended the clinic, along with the other 3-areas of veterans I was assigned to supervise each day.
*The most enjoyable part of my job, was working along side of all the veterans in the greenhouse clinic, and then going out and checking on all the other veterans I supervises on a daily basis, I would only visits those veterans 2-times a week, but getting to see and talk to those veterans was great, they always had so many things to tell me, even if it was work related problems they needed to inform me about other veterans they could not get along with, and the staff I work along with, were very educated and knowledgeable, and good and caring people, who were there to help and assist veterans in any way they could.
Pros
no-free lunch, either bring your lunch, or go buy it.
Cons
2-15-minute breaks, 1-in morning-1-in after noon, and 1-30-minute lunch break
No comment
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 19, 2018
Enjoyed my time. Everyone was very laid back. I was able to work remotely most days of the week. Overall I was happy with my role at the VA. The coffee shop was the most frequented. They also have gym.
The politics makes the job not attractive. and the Government has deminished the value of the system.
Health Technician/NA (Former Employee) –  Nlr, ARAugust 19, 2018
Work was fun when we treated the veterans like family, but now everything is so political. I learned a lot in the VA and it was rewarding but the system is flawed with upper management who do not care about staff nor the veterans. The pay has diminished and the flex tours are not available when needed for personnel to give time to their own families. Upper level management and exclusivities are not fair toward staff. The small people have no voice. The workplace culture is horrible and advancement and bonuses are depleting as workers are working longer, harder and in more stressful situations. This government entity is going down like the others.
Pros
Use to be flex schedules, pay and supervisors that were approachable and flexable.
Cons
None of the pros exist anymore. Advancement inhouse is gone and its hard to be appreciated
Nice clean environment
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, GAAugust 19, 2018
Daily interaction with the veterans while performing patient care. Outings were always fun. Long hours make job feel like home away from home. Entertainment from volunteers as they visit always made the days enjoyable.
Poor Leadership, No Telework Flexibility, Antiquated Technology
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 18, 2018
A typical day consisted or staff meetings, meetings with contractors, and testing of new performance management system. Holding Community of Practice (CoP) meetings, working with the recruitment and staffing team to ensure bonuses were distributed to approximately 300 senior executives.
Management lacked emotional intelligence, would berate staff and did not support the education and advancement of employees. The workplace culture was negative. There was no flexibility to work from home, the technology was antiquated and made it difficult to perform some job duties.
Pros
On-Site Store, Cafeteria
Cons
Lack of Leadership and Room for Advancement
Loved working @ the VA with my fellow vets and co-workers
Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVAugust 18, 2018
Working @ the VA i loved being around my fellow veterans. My co-workers are ready to lend a hand if i needed it. The atmosphere @ the VA is very pleasant and structured, Loved working @ the VA
Busy outpatient clinic
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 18, 2018
Busy outpatient clinic Monday through. Less patient load on Fridays, We do work as a team. Fridays we often have time to recognize birthdays and important occasions
Pros
great benefits
Cons
lack of advancement, you have to work hard to advance from LPN to RN, you have to get the manager to recognize many years of service in order to go from a GS 6 to 7
Productive, fun working environment with helpful staff
Nurse Care Management / Intern (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 17, 2018
The staff of the organization makes the organization a great place to work. I did not have a permanent position but once I was trained on a task, I had the autonomy to work the job and the staff were there for support and to help me if I needed assistance.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Did not lead to a permanent position
Management was invisible and only cared about the numbers and not Veterans
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 16, 2018
Management was horrible and micro managed. All about the numbers, not about the veteran applying or who you talk to on the phone. Sending letters because veteran signed on the wrong line, client base was retired 60 plus living on social security and sometimes pension.
Pros
Federal Government job and good benefits
Cons
If you like sitting at a desk all day, nobody talks, not a lot of help and support and poor management
Veterans
Senior Plant Manager and Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 16, 2018
The VA is a good start for Veterans exiting the military. Offers a wide variety of opportunities and has programs available for development for future
Needs better managment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJAugust 16, 2018
There is no room for growth. The employees are delightful but when it comes to managements, things are very uneven. You have no time for training, just expected to know everything already.
Cons
Managment doesn't manage
A Pure Bureaucracy
Senior Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEAugust 15, 2018
Little value is placed on input from employees. And national leadership tends to place unrealistic standards on day-to-day productivity with no regard for varying difficulty of individual tasks on a case-by-case basis.
Pros
Good pay and great benefits.
Cons
A sweatshop environment.
Productive and a nice place to work for the most part
Unit Clerk/ Ward Secretary (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 15, 2018
I did my clinicals for my schooling as a Ward Secretary/Unit Clerk at the Department of Veterans Affairs. I visited all the Wards and Units and was told to take the next examine given to get hired for the V.A. Medical Center, I did, pasted the examine and hired on soon after. Everyday I would go to work, sit in on the nurses briefings and then have open heart surgeries or exploratory Laps, Very sick people, we got these patients right from Operating Room. I got to learn and do more then I was trained for during my schooling. The nurses were very nice fun people to work with. I respected them and they in return respected me. I enjoyed my job and the place I worked in and was very sad to leave there when the time came. I would go back in a heart beat if I could. I would work very long hours sometimes 12 a day five or six days a week.
Pros
U learn alot more at a teaching hospital, nice medical insurance
Cons
the VA Medical Centers were very big places with a lot of professionals
Dept of Veteran Affairs
Housekeeping Aid Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 14, 2018
Working for the VA is a blessing. If you are a veteran you can get in the door fairly easily. Working at the VA and helping veterans is a way that you can continue to serve your country.
Good job to have for retierement purposes
Medical Technician Phlebotomist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 14, 2018
I am Medical Tech at the laboratory, I love the fast pace environment, and helping the fellows brother and sister as I am a veteran myself. I would recommend people to join the team of the Veterans Affairs Administration.
Veterans Affairs
Administrative Officer of the Day (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53295August 14, 2018
Working for the Veteran's Affairs was on of the best jobs that I have ever had. I was able to spend my days helping the woman and men who fought/served our country.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K