Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Great career and learning experience
Claim Assistant (Veteran's Service Center) (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 10, 2018
Very productive and meaningful learning experience. Learned more about the different law and regulation that deal with disability comensation and education beenfits for veteran and their dependents.
Good People, Average Company
Claims Payer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 9, 2018
As both a veteran and former employee, I can say that while I worked and dealt with some fantastic people, the corporate air is heavily stifling on care for those they are supposed to serve.
Fast-paced
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hinesville, GAMay 9, 2018
Check in patients. check out patients, make appointments. Order medicines. Print schedules, make phone call reminters to patients about upcoming appointmens.
Pros
Luncheons almost every month
Cons
A lot of changes
Toxic workplace
Advanced MSA | Medical Administration (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 8, 2018
Management does not take care of the employees and always plays favorites. They will hound an employee over nonsense until that person quits. This is a very toxic work environment.
Va
Substance Abuse Case Manager/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 7, 2018
It was a wonderful experience be able to work with this country's veterans. I would return to VA employment. The facilities and training were top-notch.
Great employees, great colleagues
Chief Diversity Educator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2018
After having traveled to every state except for Hawaii in my presentations of cultural competency and race relations dialogues in VA facilities, I can attest to the dedication of all employees at the VA. The most enjoyable part of the job was to have met tens of thousands of hard working, dedicated employees who only wanted the best for the Veterans they service. The workplace cultures of some facilities were great, others toxic, yet employees did their jobs to the best of their abilities in spite of challenges. There were many good leaders and some bad as one would expect for a decentralized organization of 360,000 employees. The hardest part of my job was the constant travel. The best part of my job was the presentations and dialogues with employees to get to the heart of the matter of cultural differences and change.
Pros
Dedicated employees, great Veteran support
Cons
Sometimes toxic environment, lack of middle management leadership and caring for employees
great benifits
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 7, 2018
I have been here for 8 years. I love working with veterans and for the veterans. I plan on staying here until retirement, but wish to move up and obtain a different position.
Horrible management.
Advance Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  eugene, orMay 7, 2018
By far the worst job I have ever worked. The job itself was great, coworkers and patients are amazing, but the management is the worst it gets. They lie, throw employees "under the bus" for their own mistakes. They implement programs that don't fully work and unnecessarily complicate the job. It is not veteran care based. All about the numbers, which the management skew.
Sad experience
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMay 6, 2018
For a government job was dissatisfied with the work environment. Management is lost and provides no direction. The culture is back stabling and unprofessional.
Highly Recommend
Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 6, 2018
Great Benefits, Steady Hours, Job Security are perks. It's fast paced and interesting. The culture is very military, and is consistent report with working on active duty.
Fantastic Management and Fellow Employees
Legal Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 6, 2018
As a GS 9 difficult to advance further
A highly satisfying job in regards to appreciation from Veterans for assistance. Teleworking available and great selling point for this position.
Very high stress fast pace
Credentialing Program Assistant (AO) (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXMay 5, 2018
Most enjoyable part of my job was preparing the paperwork to be submitted to the Board for approval. There wasn't enough help so you were overworked and pushed to do more and more. I skipped breaks and lunch in order to help get things done timely. I always received a Bonus at the end of the year for my hard work. Everything must be thorough and perfect. The job wasn't hard just too much workload.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
too much workload
good place to work
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 5, 2018
If you do your job correctly and work hard you'll have a great work environment. I work here for about a year and thrived there even though the contract ended up moving out of state I left on great terms with the VA and my team at the service desk.
Excellent people to work with
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 4, 2018
Very friendly people that worked together and enjoyed what they did. I learned a lot on maintaining medical clinics to a high standard. Direct management was awesome but higher level management trying to make decisions and unaware of the processes at a distance location made it a tough place to work.
Pros
Clean and friendly environment
Cons
Upper management decision process
Va
Lead Secretary (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 3, 2018
Each day is different. Your schedule and the complicity of it depends on your Department. You have access to learn many aspects of Business or any other facet of the organization.
VA Employment
Emergency Room Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 3, 2018
Working at the VA has ups/downs. It all depend on your character. Would not recommend seeking employment at VA if recently graduating with degree in SocW., as your patient population will be veterans only. Most of the patients are seniors.
A day at the VA Hospital
Budget Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 3, 2018
• Effectively supported and administered Geriatrics program by managing broad-scope correspondence, reviewing and editing written reports, maintaining hundreds of high volume of files, and performing database searches as requested
• Resourcefully created and implemented filing system to streamline and accelerate access to critical information
• Applied sharp organizational skills toward tracking and monitoring community service payment authorizations and invoices, tracked staff time and attendance, and processed personnel action forms
• Meticulously summarized actions taken and pending actions discussed at administrative meetings and conferences
• Appointed as departmental Narcotics Inspector with accountability for monitoring seven services within the hospital, ensuring and enforcing appropriate narcotics inventory to prevent theft and abuse
Pros
Networking Opportunities
Cons
Environment Not employee friendly
Medical Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 1, 2018
Totally focused on the veterans.
Learned HIPPA practices
Great place to work; fast paced but laid back.
People were friendly and easy to work with.
Frontline staff are completely dedicated to the veterans
Upper management tried to fix things that weren't broken
Pros
Helping veterans
Cons
None. I loved my job
overworked and inefficient practice, poor supportive nursing staff
Ambulatory Care Physician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 1, 2018
Poorly run facility, with the amount of funding received should be operating better, poor supporting staff computer problems lack of space contributed to physician stress. Constantly concerned about the quality of care able to deliver in an environment that overburdened primary care physicians with non clinical work and alerts
Pros
Cons
overworked, stressful environment poorly managed
This survey is Redicoulous
Grounds Keeping Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 1, 2018
This is absurd. I am looking for a job. Just because I like or dislike something doesn't accurately reflect what is going on at this time. Maybe I was the cause maybe not. This is the reason I am not applying for jobs now.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K