Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Effective and Challenging
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 31, 2018
Great place to begin and end a career, fulfilled with helping our Nation's heroes. The Department of Veteran Affairs has many opportunities and resources for our veterans. The VA strives for excellence and continues to meet the day to day challenges as they are presented.
Pros
Good Leadership
Cons
Pay:Bonuses: Advancement Opportunities
great place
Health Benefits/ ECM Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 31, 2018
great place to work I was happy there awesome supervisor coworkers we awesome we all work together customer were some time hard to work with because of there attitude
VA Police - risk vs. reward - low payment for risking your life on a daily basis
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORJuly 30, 2018
As city/state police officers make money based on their risk vs. reward in reference to danger on the job, the VA Police do not compensate well at all.
Pros
Govt. employee
Cons
Pay is horrible
Awesome
Police Dispatcher/ Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Marion, IL 62959July 30, 2018
I love working for the VA it is nice to help Veterans. I am happy with the people I work with and we have very positive environment overall im impressed with the leadership in my department and there open door policy
Veteran Service Representative
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 29, 2018
Stressful but rewarding job that provides service to a unique and honorable population. Direction and focus changes on a regular basis base on administrative needs of the organization.
Pros
Opportunity to work from home
Cons
pay
Awesome place for job security
Housekeeping Aid (Former Employee) –  Mather, CA 95655July 28, 2018
This was a great place of employment. I had to resign because my girlfriend's schedule and my schedule were the same which were PM shifts. Someone had to stay home for the kids after school, there was no way we could work the same shift after school hours.
Not a great career move
Canteen Worker (Former Employee) –  One follows through with anythingJuly 28, 2018
Very poorManagement and very racial always working shortstaffed . Paying union dues and no one ever helping you not getting paid for over time or getting your breaks
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
One follows through with anything
I enjoyed my job
Health Technician/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 27, 2018
Typical day was seldom NOT busy. The workplace culture could be A LOT better that it was - mgmt was somewhat (a lot) lacking. The hardest part of the job was having to do your job and two other employee jobs while they were busy doing personal work. The most enjoyable was the interacting with the patients, getting the the help that they needed.
Pros
Loved working with the patients
Cons
Mgmt enjoyed gossiping and fighting a little too much
good place to work
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 27, 2018
I LOVE WORKING FOR THE VA,AND ALL THE WAR STORY ARE WONDERFUL, I learn so much working with VA, I DONT HAVE A HARD PART IN MY JOB .The culture is a wonderful, no hard part in my job and I enjoy everything about my job the patients my coworkers.
Pros
enjoy the lunch and learn
Cons
breaks are just right
The veterans home is based upon need and qualification.
Patient Services Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, OKJuly 26, 2018
Benefits for acquiring a degree through the scholarship program is awesome.
Vacation and sick leave are paid. Holidays can be banked for later use or used when received.
Pros
Health insurance benefits
Cons
Communication is not the greatest.
Great enviroment.
OPHTHALMIC MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 26, 2018
Great employees and awewsome interactive M. D's; learned a lot with the staff. Relaxed work atmosphere and good equipment. I would love a chance to work with fellow veterans again.
Pros
Great benefits and flexibility
Cons
No bonuses, bad over-scheduling of patients and short/non-existent breaks
Support the Veterans
Program Support Assistant/Medical Support Asst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 25, 2018
I enjoy interacting with the Veterans and their families. Each veteran is unique in his/her own way. Being able to provide a listening ear and a smile can go a very long way.
very stressful workplace
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 25, 2018
There was too much work and not enough workers. Management was terrible. Typical of a Govt. entity. My supervisor had no idea what my job entailed. I would not recommend this job to any of my friends. I feel sorry for the Vets that go there. they still are not getting the care they deserve.
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2018
Working with veterans and giving them the satisfaction of appreciation is tremendous

The Department of Veterans Affairs focuses on middle management and should focus on employee morale and the mantra "ONE VA"
Pros
Interaction with veterans
Cons
poor management in critical areas
Rewarding
Counseling Therapist (Former Employee) –  Coatesville, VAJuly 25, 2018
Having the opportunity to provide care and support to our Nation's Veteran was rewarding. The VA is a very large organization that offers many opportunities to employees and Veterans.
Nothing good to say
Computer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJuly 24, 2018
The absolute worst organization (for lack of a better word) that I have ever worked for. As someone said before, upper management has no caring or compassion for patients but wants those numbers to look real nice on paper. The workers (at least 75%) are lazy, don’t care and are not team players which gives good, reliable workers a bad name. Management has no backbone and has no idea how to manage. You can’t get fired unless you’re going to jail or you can be “let go” because of prejudicial unprofessional attitudes of supervisors. It’s extreme one way or extreme the other way. There’s no middle ground. The VA’s leadership at the higher does not care. There is no continuity with leadership. I saw at least 9 directors during my 19 1/2 years there.
Pros
401k (TSP) and health insurance
Cons
its all in the review?
Should be more tech savvy and cleaner
Health Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jefferson Barracks, MOJuly 24, 2018
This is where our vets get there medical care.
It's not clean and has bug issues. Management was clueless. Hardest part is seeing the veterans stand in the hall of a old hospital turn clinic.
Pros
Hours
Cons
I can't say any
Not interested
Cemetery Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Holly, MIJuly 24, 2018
I do not feel like talking about it right now I am just trying to apply for new positions since I was let go by this one and need a new job immediately .
This company gave me an opportunity to work for the federal government
Nursing Supervisor, RN (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIJuly 24, 2018
I was able to work independently. Our clinic participated in many pilot programs that gave me the opportunity to evaluate and be in the process for further development of The Department of Veteran’s Affairs continued care.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Patients can be demanding, forceful and on occasion violent
Great culture, awesome benefits
Medical Clerk (Federal job) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 24, 2018
I worked in the administrative of the wings of high ranking GS 11 and GS 12's. They showed me how to organize and do my work in Microsoft Excel at that that which was new.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K