Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Showing all 4,653 reviews
stressful, incompetent workers
Lead Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO 80220October 23, 2018
Management is a JOKE here. If you're good at your job you only get more work to make up for the incompetent workers. Supervisors and upper management have no idea what they are doing. The culture is bad. Patients are extremely rude. They don't discipline people who don't do their jobs, it's almost impossible to get fired from here. I can't stress enough how INCOMPETENT workers are here.
Pros
sick and annual leave
Structured and stable work environment, great benefits
Staff Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 22, 2018
Patients is the greatest perk of this job, but the more conventional benefits package is nothing to frown upon either. Staff is short but work hours are stable and pay scale allows for fair amount of lateral movement in terms of compensation within the same position
Solid Internship Training, Good Mentorship
Recruitment and Placement Policy Service Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2018
Interning at the V.A. was a great experience, I felt I was doing meaningful work that made a real impact on the department. I was given lots of responsibility and great training/support
Work environment
Rating Veterans service representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 21, 2018
Management switch often. Not consistent with laws and rules and reviewing your work production. Some felt as if they were on a island by themselves. No team work. Numbers more important than the health of employees.
Pros
Benefits was great.
Cons
Work environment wasn't healthy.
Va
Veteran Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, AROctober 21, 2018
It is a federal department and has the usual federal work atmosphere. Hurry up and wait. Good working with veterans. Hated that veteran benefits were held up because of a typo on a letter. Veterans just did not seem to be a priority.
Pros
steady work
Cons
cut throat; veterans not a priority.
Productive and fun place to work that is great for professional growth.
Test Administrator (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILOctober 20, 2018
Diverse culture that is team based as well as having the opportunity to grow as an individual. Management is understanding and willing to work and inform workers of any news that may impact operations of the workplace.
Enjoyed working with veterans :)
Registered Nurse in the Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYOctober 19, 2018
I loved working at the VA and the pay was great as well! The veterans gave me a reason to enjoy my job because they all had a story to tell and I was always thankful for their service! I worked in the emergency dept, and we worked well together as a team! We were a small group and we would even do ambulance transfers for psych to buffalo or Syracuse! Staff from different depts even worked well together too!
Pros
12-16 hour shifts, Great pay, annual rate increase, working with the vets, benefits
Cons
Emergency dept closed, veterans can now go to civilian hospitals
Program Support Assistant
PROGRAM SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 19, 2018
Day was quick-paced, very detail orientated, management is great. The best part of the job is the sense of helping people. Hardest part of job was meeting deadlines.
Pros
Benefits, Time Off, Employees
Cons
Too much area for one person
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVOctober 19, 2018
Heavy lifting constantly, over 15 offices to clean plus 5 long hallways and dialysis area with about 40 beds. Lots of wet sheets and wet towels. Much more then a person my age can handel. I did the best I could for as long as I could.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Too much heavy lifting
Government Job
Study Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 18, 2018
While the department I worked at is no longer there, it was a good place to work . It was my first job out of college and I really didn't know any better.
Pros
free lunches
Great place to work when you're thinking about retirement
ICU Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 18, 2018
Although the transition to practice residency gave me a great foundation, working in the critical care department, I feel that as a veteran GLA should work harder to give comprehensive physical and mental health care to both veterans and employees.
Pros
nice retirement package
Cons
poor culture
No issues
Health Technician/Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 18, 2018
I have nothing to say about this position. It was a great job. And I love the VA. I want to say that they are good organization with great benefits.
Veterans Affairs
Basic Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXOctober 17, 2018
My time with the VA was short because I had some medical problems going on at the time and I didn't have enough time off to address the issues so I was only able to work for a couple months before I had to resign.
Very political ran.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 17, 2018
Human Resources is rigged. They don’t hire qualified individuals for positions. They hire whomever they want including family members. Staff who are not veterans treat the veteran patients badly.
Pros
Leave
Cons
Politically ran. Human Resources is rigged! Especially at the Dallas VA
Stable
SUPERVISORY BUDGET ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2018
Great benefits and stable work environment. I enjoy having the time to spend with my family. The VA also promotes learning. I would work here until I retired if I could.
Phlebotomist (Medical Technician) (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 16, 2018
Overall a great place to work. Change happens very slow, but if you are looking for a secure job the VA system will provide this. This allows you to focus on your work. Also, you are helping veterans which can be satisfying.
Fast paced and stressful
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZOctober 16, 2018
Great team, decent management but you are expected to complete so much and not given the resources to complete the task. You are often given the job that should be split into 2 positions. Very stressful and always fast paced. Very fast burn out rate.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay, weekends off
Cons
Stressful, fast paced, expected to do job of 2
Va Review Summary
MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 16, 2018
The DVA is a great place to work with many rewarding opportunities to give back to the Veterans who served us. While it can be stressful as a clerk taking the brunt of all complaints and attitude, I still find it rewarding. I love being able to wake up and make a difference in the lives to who gave and sacrificed for us as a nation.

The bad: Poor management: Leadership is willing to listen to issues/concerns, but do not act upon it to help and move forward with progression in those complaints/issues. Understaffed: Working short hours to get a ton of things done on top of clerical duties, with nobody being hired to help share the load and become a team instead of us just becoming individuals and becoming the I in team.

Overall, My experience as a Vet working for the VA has been rewarding and a growing/learning experience shifting from Active duty to civilian lifestyle. Just the bad outweighs the good here unfortunately.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Poor Management / Lack of Progress with changes
poor management but a great place to work with co-workers and benefits
Imaging Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marion, VAOctober 16, 2018
management was poor and expected you to do more than your job title. Asked to do things that were immoral and lie about concrete numbers. Job was very fulfilling and co-worker team was great. Management expected more than was reasonable in an 8 hour day. On-call 24/7 with no back up.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management
Wow
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 15, 2018
Pay was low i felt over used for stiff that was not protatining to me bit people whwere htere to help in time of need i ;ove to hate this place it great to be there but i was not enough pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K