Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

A good place to work
IT Specialist/Lead Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Hines, ILFebruary 3, 2018
Is an interesting place to work, learn and meet people with different attitudes and cultures of different cities? With many opportunities to learn different types of skills and the opportunity to travel to different states. And the most importantly of my duty and my responsibility to deliver all compensation, pension and education benefit payments to the nation's veterans.
Pros
much of free time
Cons
short braek
You have to work hard, however the work is very rewarding
Supervisory HR Program Manager (GS-15) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2018
Do not believe everything you see/hear from the media about this Agency. The truth is that an overwhelming majority of the employees care deeply about the veterans and the mission, and are willing to give 100% effort and commitment to the cause. You would have the opportunity to work with many intelligent, highly qualified and dedicated professionals who appreciate the sacrifices that our veterans have made to preserve our freedom, and who are willing to do their very best to give the best care and service back to them. I was honored to have worked for this Agency for 20 years.
Pros
The mission is one to be proud of
Cons
The work is hard and the budget is too small
Love helping veterans
CONTACT REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSFebruary 2, 2018
Typical day at work is coming in, logging into our system and then helping veterans. Job is pretty easy as long as being respectful is the main focus.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
30 minute lunch
Excellent Training and Learning Experience
SOCIAL WORK CASE MANAGER/INTERN (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 1, 2018
This job was a great entry job because it afforded me with excellent training and learning opportunities. Indifferent to management style. The dress code was business casual.
Excellent environment for social workers
Case manager / Homeless Outreach (Current Employee) –  Lyons, NJFebruary 1, 2018
The Department of Veteran Affairs is an excellent environment for social workers to expand knowledge basis, enhance their networking skills, and advance at higher quicker pace then in the private sector
Pros
pay, benefits, co-workers
Cons
I have no complaints
Sedentary, no sunlight, good pay/beneifits
PC-MHI SOCIAL WORKER (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNFebruary 1, 2018
Most of my day is sitting in a small office space with no windows. I do therapy and evaluations with intense populations, can be stressful at times. A lot of paperwork and documentation. I have good pay and benefits. Job culture changes a lot, as well as leadership which affects job role. Team environment various with changing leadership and staff. A lot of stipulations due to federal govt job.
Pros
salary, 730-4
Cons
high stress, no sunlight, no windows, sedentary, changing leadership and climate
A goo place to work
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 1, 2018
Everyone I work with is very well informed about their role in the VA. They made the transition from the civilian sector to the federal a smooth one. The team are just that; they are a team. Working with and for the veteran is an excellent way of repaying these brave men and women for sacrificing everything to allow me to have some semblance of freedom.
You have to want to help Vets to stay
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 31, 2018
Its not a easy job, but its worth doing to help us vets in and small way, but you have to put up with a lot of old-time workers that don't want to change with the time and a lot of them should retire.
Pros
Pride in what your doing
Cons
The long term workers that are just getting a pay check
An exercise in frustration and futility
Contract Case Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2018
I will forever respect our brave military men and women for being injured at war and then injured again by the agency that purports to help them and still surviving. The VA is something to survive not utilize. The VA functions as an insurance company that is determined to deny coverage to its clients. You are taught to lie, to fudge numbers to keep the vets on rotation, they ask the contractors to do allot of their dirty work. Shameful place of rot and decay for all ethics.
Great place to work.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 31, 2018
The team I work with is superb.
Our leadership is superb. They care about their employees.
Real servant leaders here.
I learn new things every day.
The culture promotes change, sometimes it takes time.
The hardest part of the job is political aspects of the system extending beyond our facility.
Most enjoyable part of the job is our Veterans!
Very relaxed work environment
Health Technician (Prosthetics) (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 31, 2018
I enjoyed working with active military personnel and veterans and their families. Very fast paced ok environment, must be able to multitask.typical work day was 8 hours a day performing multiple tasks.
Pros
Working with the veterans and their family
Cons
Travel time to get to work
Serving Vets
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Patient ServicesJanuary 30, 2018
Serving my veterans. That is all i needed to say. The culture there for most is selfless and caring. It can be a tough job dealing with the bureacracy.
Wonderful work environment
IT Specialist/Support Internship (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 30, 2018
I worked as a intern and the experience was great. I worked with a friendly staff who gave me my first working networking experience. On a typical day we will start the day at around 8 AM see what was the workflow for the day and prioritize which basically consists of trouble tickets installing and removing computers and printers and solve end-users networking experiences ended they will end around 4:30 p.m.
Pros
A lot of experience
Cons
It was only an internship
Great workplace
Budget Chief (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2018
Management and culture is excellent. Enjoyable and exciting place to work. But unless you're in healthcare, not much for advancement. Still highly recommend.
management
Transportation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 30, 2018
A typical day is 8 hours.
I learned how to work with vets
It would help if management received more leadership training.
The most enjoyable part is being able to help the veterans.
Good
Veteran Transportation Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI 48105January 30, 2018
Productive and honorable cause

Serving those veterans who gave much for their country. The most difficult part of the job is balancing work load stress with home life.
Pros
Excellent
wonderful place to start or finish
Administrator on Duty (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 30, 2018
wonderful place to start or finish a medical career
for those in the middle other options might provide
greater opportunity to expand your roll and
develop as a leader.
Pros
job stability
Cons
chroniclly short staffed.
A good place to develop skills
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 30, 2018
This is a good career to have, and can be a challenging environment. As a veteran I enjoy serving the military and veteran population. In my line of work I do direct service, and administrative work. I enjoy working with a team of staff that that have an unwavering devotion to the clients that we serve.
Good work place
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 29, 2018
I love working here. The offer competitive salary and benefits. They help balance your work schedule around your home life. They are one of the few companies that continue to offer a pension.
enjoyable fast paced job
Dental Technician, Set-up and prep treatment rooms (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJanuary 29, 2018
Typical day is fast paced and satisfactory. Teamwork is key in the past paced world of dentistry. Management was available and curious when needed. would recommend applying.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K