Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

I really dont have time for this
Medical File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 3, 2018
Please I need to be applying for jobs and not wasting my time doing this nonsense. If you want to know call the human resources department. I really don't have time for these reviews.
What I learned
Advanced Medical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 3, 2018
I gained knowledge on how the VA differs from the Community. I learned a lot of interesting history from our Veterans who fought for our country. Enjoyed working FOR our Veterans
Pros
seeing a smile from a Veteran I helped
Dva
Veteran Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 3, 2018
Not much to say, as a veteran this has given me the opportunity to give back to my fellow VETS. The Anchorage VA is solid, in terms of customer service, professionalism, and truly caring about the Veterans needs as well as their families.
Very stressful work place and very poor management
Rating Veteran Service Representative (RVSR) (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 3, 2018
They need better management that dies not show favoritism or discrimination. Management at the Montgomery VA Regional Office has their picks and chooses of whomever they like gets the advantages.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management
Production driven
Field Examiner (Former Employee) –  Mineola, TXAugust 2, 2018
necessary,
but no longer client focused,
driven by numbers not real needs
with the threat of punishment or removal if you do not produce what they expect.
constantly changing with no time to train for adjustments
Pros
compensation
Cons
poor leadership
good place to work
Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2018
Typical day was busy in the clinic that I worked. This was the way I liked it to be. My nurse manager was very concerned about her employees. She was very easy to talk to. I can truly say I enjoyed the job. My coworkers were the best.
Pros
Transit vouchers
Cons
short lunches
Working Enviroment !!!
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCAugust 2, 2018
Love coming to my place of employment, the environment is full of love growth. Admire the veterans that I work with and for. The Department of Veterans Affairs had allowed me to grow professionally.
Pros
time, pay
Cons
no overtime
Work review
Staff Nurse, Emergency Room (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 2, 2018
I have enjoyed many years at the VA and would love to continue to serve the Veteran population or active duty patients. The volume of patients has grown tremendously which has been challenging but I honestly have the two best bosses in my department and I work with a great group of people so we pull together and get it done.
Pros
excellent direct management
Cons
difficult to advance, obtain higher education assistance
Great benefits and pay but can be a difficult place to wrok.
Health Care Administrator (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILAugust 1, 2018
Great benefits but if you join with the intention of making a difference you will have challenges. Executive management can be very dysfunctional at times.
Somewhat stressful
Pharmacy Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Riley, KS 66442August 1, 2018
Everyday was different.Management was good but could have been way better. Make sure that if you request time off or if you have a family emergency that you keep all of your emails or texts because they will throw you under the bus and say that you never contacted them.
Slow-paced
ERS Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 1, 2018
The work was manageable, however some management styles were combative. Overall not a bad place to work, just not open to a lot of new ideas for change.
Great Benefits
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCAugust 1, 2018
I enjoyed working here but sadly research positions are only term. Also unless you are a Nurse there isnt much room for growth. I recommend working in another department.
Productive and fun place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 1, 2018
My duties were to pull orders and set up meals according to patients diets. I also delivered the meals to the patients. Everyday there was something special about working there dealing w/ veterans.
Pros
Working w/ veterans
Unethical management
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2018
As a Contract Specialist, you are always dealing with competing interests. You have to prioritize the various requirements and keep everyone happy. (Management, internal customers and contractors.)
You received no support from management. In fact they were the primary obstacle. They refused to follow appropriate polices, procedures, laws and business sensibility and expected you to follow suite.
Nice Environment
Logistics-Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 1, 2018
I have been employed since December of 2017. The job is not stressful, and am surrounded by a good group of people. I have not had any issues since being employed.
Human Resource Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYAugust 1, 2018
Working with Veterans is a special job within its self. Being able to ensure our staffing was on point and the Veterans could get what they needed was awesome
Pros
Working with Veterans
Cons
Management at times
Moving forward!!!!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Floor 1July 31, 2018
Working with fellow veterans was a great plus for me as I relocated to WI, from IL. I had to opportunity to work along side vets from different services, which was a great plus for me, to show me... anything is possible. I would often bring my homework with me, and study when on lunch break.
Pros
Independant
Cons
No advancement
Great Place to start
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 31, 2018
I really enjoy my time at the VA. I have grown a lot during my 8 years and I am looking for a new challenge in my career. I also want to add that there is a feeling of family at the VA as well.
Effective and Challenging
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 31, 2018
Great place to begin and end a career, fulfilled with helping our Nation's heroes. The Department of Veteran Affairs has many opportunities and resources for our veterans. The VA strives for excellence and continues to meet the day to day challenges as they are presented.
Pros
Good Leadership
Cons
Pay:Bonuses: Advancement Opportunities
great place
Health Benefits/ ECM Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 31, 2018
great place to work I was happy there awesome supervisor coworkers we awesome we all work together customer were some time hard to work with because of there attitude

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K