Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Love working at the VA.
Administrative Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2017
Absolutely loved working at the VA. I really do miss it. Had to quit because I moved to another state. I want to go back for a job. I will see whats available soon.
Pros
Great benefits
Promises unfulfilled
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84158November 27, 2017
Worked me in higher than grade level duties then denied promotion. As the song goes..they’ll use you, yes and abuse you, they’ll take your soul if you let them, oh but don’t you let them!
Favoritism, nepotism, discrimination, unethical behavior.... i started out intensely committed to helping veterans and now see that the very agency whose mission it is to help them treats civilian employees who have integrity with disdain. There are exceptions as i know employees in other divisions who are treated well. If you work there beware and watch your back.
Pros
Good benefits and good internship program
Cons
Management will throw you under the bus to get their bonuses
goo job
Surgical Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 26, 2017
Teh VA is a great place to work. Job security is great but financiali stilpulations can make it difficult to get work done. Alot of staff have been emplohyed for a long time and do not work.
Poor
HST (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 26, 2017
typical day at work would be fine.
i have not learned anything knew.
management was horrible it was a mess thing where all over the place nothing goes well.
the hardest part of work was no team work. no one listened to one another. you are on your own there.
the hardest part of the job was they didnt care about the slacker people if you worked your hardest and did one thing wrong they would get on you but if someone who slacks off didnt get anything from making the same mistake.
the most enjoyable part is making the residents feel like they where people.
Pros
pays well
Cons
horrible management
Lots of promises that don't happen
Vascular Technologist (Current Employee) –  SeattleNovember 25, 2017
Hired as contract, 10 years later still not converted to a permanent position. Nice working environment however no job security. Management is terrible at present time.
Pros
No call
Cons
Lots of red tape
great
Chief Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WANovember 25, 2017
A wonderful mission and great place to work. Pay is an issue but benefits and other incentives make it worth while. A great mission and mostly great people.
Stressful place to work because of bad LIS & short staffing.
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 25, 2017
Stressful place to work because of bad LIS & short staffing. Retirement and health benefits are excellent but behind on salary adjustment. Some older workers have bad attitudes which adds to the stress for newbies.
Excellent place to work
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Muskogee, OK 74401November 24, 2017
Very fair and excellent benefits - awesome and caring management - pay is in line with similar jobs outside of the Federal Government - decent opportunities for advancement
Scary leadership team at the very top
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 23, 2017
Most providers care about veterans and try to do an excellent job. The leaders at the top locally are horrible and scary people who lie and sabotage staff objectives to elevate certain people to higher pay levels. This impacts veteran care on many levels but they ignore service needs and bully staff who question the ethical nature of actions taken. Middle management turnover is ridiculously high. If you have a good supervisor it can be a buffer and manageable. Love for providing care for veterans helps me stay in my position but it's hard to observe the dis function. I worry about being terminated for being ethical and not going along with things that challenge me morally and ethically.
Pros
Working with veterans, pay scale, great training opportunities
Cons
Stress, poor leadership, poor planning, poor communication
I would go back in a heart beat
Medical Lab Technician/Lead Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 22, 2017
I worked the typical 8 to 5 lifestyle with no weekends do to being at a outpatient clinic. and all national holidays plus veterans day were observed and PTO. great benefits package and of course veterans preference applies here. I loved working for the VA. I only left because I had to relocate.
Cons
the hiring process can take anywhere from 3 to 6+ months
Nice place to work
Medical Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 22, 2017
the hardest part of my job was there was nothing to hard about my job. My typical day at work was most of the time fast pace. Management was okay they could of used more experience.
nice
Financial Accountant /Analyst (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 22, 2017
Great place to work. Great Benefits. Very Flexible once you get you time in. Telework available depending upon job description. Paid Vacations are awarded every pay every two weeks.
Do not work an "internship"
Veterans Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 22, 2017
If your time is limited, have a backup plan. There was no advancement. The internship was not really an internship. People were hired to clean up the government's backlog and then "let go."
Very Fast Pace
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARNovember 22, 2017
A normal day would consist of receiving medical supplies from ups and fedex from 9-12 and distributing it through out the hospital and other VA's from 1-4.Iv learned how to work at a fast pace and how to do my job efficient on a timely manner and make certain deadlines.
It was a good job to have but got replaced by veterans
Cemetery Caretaker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 21, 2017
It was a honor to work for the government and to give back in a way to the fallen soldiers and veterans this job made me a better person and gained a lot of experience .
Busy and very active place to work
Facility Revenue Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2017
Very diverse place to work. Never a dull moment. If you are one of the lucky ones you get to hear some interesting stories of some of our war heroes.
Pros
Wear Blue Jeans on Pay Day Friday's
Cons
No Dental Ins
No longer employed at the VA
Senior Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 20, 2017
Due to being in the field of Contracting, there was never a typical day at work. I learned that it's not what you know but who you know in the Agency which determines how successful you are/can be. My supervisor was inexperienced, unprofessional and lacked leadership which made for a very stressful environment.
Pros
Teleworking, health benefits, pay
Cons
Lack of leadership, high turnover
productive place to work
dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Coatesville, PANovember 20, 2017
working at the va was the best productive job I had.. the work place culture was awesome. the hardest part of the job is that it is very fast paced...
Great place to work.
Field Examiner (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 20, 2017
If you are looking to serve veterans and their families this is the place for you. A lot of telecommuting opportunities and flexible work schedules with the place.
I want to find something that is full time not contract.
Tier 1 Tech Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shepherdstown, WVNovember 19, 2017
Working at the VA as a contract employee has been a learning experience but unfortunately getting hired on as a regular employee has been a bit more difficult than I would have liked.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.