Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

What I have learned
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCAugust 9, 2018
Learn a new application or service weekly. The VA is a great learning environment for persons wanting to learn more about health management. It is the largest integrated health service provider.
my opinion
Housekeeping aide (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXAugust 9, 2018
being a veteran I liked the fact of helping other veterans. Making friends and learning more things on a daily basis was enlightening. Pursing higher advancement was a challenge I did conquer,
Pros
advancement
Dedication to the team.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Loma Linda, CAAugust 9, 2018
When you serve and they serve it's dedication to the team that keeps you coming back and no amount of pay our benefits will equal the reward of working with the Man and women who have served.
Pros
Giving back to our Veterans
Cons
Not getting back enough.
Out dated
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CalifAugust 8, 2018
As a caregiver for a tetraplegic I was only paid for bowel and bladder care. A caregiver is only paid when patient is home. There is no pay, otherwise, which causes most caregivers to leave.
The process of confirming hours worked was antiquated. It would be slightly more efficient if those hours could be posted online.
Pros
Working with the wonderful staff at the SCI Department.
Cons
Pay issues - delays
Veterans Crisis Line can be a blessing and a curse
Health Science Specialist/Responder (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 8, 2018
I have worked at the VCL in Atlanta for almost 2 years. As a responder, the position pays great and benefits are great as well. You also get to help the veterans when they are experiencing crises. However, the schedules are tough as you sacrifice a lot in regards to work/life balance. Working weekends has become draining and now management and the union are at a standstill for us to solicit for new schedules to help relieve those who have worked every weekend for a while now. The wellness program is lacking and compassion fatigue is setting in. Working here can be a blessing, but eventually, you may become burnt out over time.
Pros
Being able to help veterans, pay, benefits
Cons
No wellness, no work/life balance
Amsa
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTAugust 8, 2018
Traveled 150 miles round trip 5 days a week for three weeks for training. The traffic to West Haven was beyond bearable; same coming back. Got up at 4, left at 5 to arrive at 8. Trainers rollled in around 9, if at all. Then they would chat, get coffee, do everything except train. One nurse even showed us videos of her kid coming out of anethsethia, and told us all about her personal life life, including her online dating history. Then on to a 90 minute lunch, more bs, and then get sent home early, instead of at 4pm. Then a 3-4 hour drive home in rush hour traffic. The computer system is beyond comprehension. Open five pages on each of two screens. A second system has to be up as a backup, but goes down if not used frequently. Trying to take 60 calls per shift, everything from suicide calls, directions, general info, and booking appointments for both hospitals and all clinics throughout the state. Each clinic has different rules for booking, Each MD has different rules.Got to the job totally untrained, had a mentor who was either absent or grumpy, and on top of this, we were timed. As a veteran and a taxpayer, I find this disgusting and unacceptable.
Pros
Pay, benefits and opportunity to assist veterans.
Cons
No training, no oversite of trainers, obsolete computer system.
A great place to work, fully support the VA's Vision to care for Veterans.
Supervisory Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VA 22408August 7, 2018
A busy place to work...fully supports the mission. What made this job enjoyable was the commute, quality of life, and experienced work staff. A typical day at work consisted of providing support to numerous customers in support of more than 150 Veterans Administration Medical Centers.
Pros
Flexible work hours.
Cons
No comments at this time.
Poor upper management
Police Communications and Investigative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 7, 2018
Management only promotes within based on if you're friends with management. Poor work culture. No incentives to advance. In 7 years, there was no opportunity to advance.
i enjoyed working for this company
Mental Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAAugust 7, 2018
it was a learning opporunty for me to work in the VA and learning about different skills they also provide counting education for carrer in nursingenfits
Pros
free breeze cards
Cons
great b
Decent place to work
Readjustment Counseling Technician, GS (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 7, 2018
A typical day at work will depend on where one works (e.g., VAMC, CBOC, Regional Office, etc.). Management could be better and more receptive to putting voices of subordinates to action through more engagement and feedback and CSR best practices through transformational leadership styles. The culture(s) will also vary in locations with some teams working closely with each other while others may not due to environmental factors (e.g., telework or independent work). The hardest part of the job is complacency and redundancy. The most enjoyable aspect(s) is/are making a difference in the lives of veterans and family members.
Pros
Good job security and benefits
Cons
May lead to poor job satisfaction and/or burnout
Poor Managment
clinical pharmacy specialist (Current Employee) –  GainsevilleAugust 6, 2018
Experienced degreed workers overlooked for new grads in management positions. Upper management wants senior employees to train the new workers/managers. This decreases productivity of the senior employee and creates low morale and no incentive to go over and beyond. Most of my coworkers have transitioned to do the minimum required since the inexperienced managers tend to focus on metrics only when evaluating employees. So now we just do what makes us look good on paper which amounts to workload gaps. Everyone focused on hitting a number of patients seen now. No real evaluation here just hit the numbers and you appear to be a great employee. Easy game to play for seasoned employees. These inexperienced managers don't have any insight to see that less is actually getting done. But it is the new va way. Promote kids to manage adults. No upward mobility here for qualified managers with experience. Stay in the private sector if you are a serious business person. No growth for mature experienced qualified workers.
Pros
no weekends
Cons
management; no advancement
Finanical Specialist
Supervisory Financial Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bonham, TXAugust 6, 2018
Poor management from the top down. Very poor training, all on the job training. Management would not listen to recommendations for improvement. Location was excellent!
Good and Bad
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 6, 2018
Its a nice place to work given the pay and benefits but when it comes to management its horrible. Also the politics that are within the VA is really bad and our Veterans do not get the treatment they deserve.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Bad management and to may politics
Wish I could have stayed
Administrative Assistant/ Work Study (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 6, 2018
Plenty of room for advancement. Management was absolutely wonderful and knowledgeable. I loved my coworkers. I went in smiling and left smiling. I will never forget my experience!
Pros
Working with Vets, Making a difference, Great people, Great hours, Wonderful training
Cons
absolutely NONE
Caregiver
Primary Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLAugust 6, 2018
It was a satisfying career. I got to meet fun and interesting people and I learned new skills. I also was paid a fair wage and support was always provided.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Stressful
Rewarding
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tuskegee, ALAugust 5, 2018
Great to help our nation's veterans. Very rewarding when a veteran's needs are being met without issues or complications. Department I worked for had very little upward mobility.
perfect opportunity for growth
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 5, 2018
I had a great experience with this company. I would have loved to continue to work there. I learned a lot and had great benefits. I loved working with the employees as well as the patients.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management
Fast paced program
HUD/VASH Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 5, 2018
Fast paced environment with lots of learning and opportunities for advancement within the program. This is not a entry level position for a social worker it does require that you have some experience in outreach and mental heath.
Unprofessional
Mental Health Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VA 23669August 5, 2018
The worse place I ever worked. Not sure if all VAs are this bad, but Hampton, VA was not a good place for work. There was too much inconsistency. Promotions were based on neputism.
Overall great place
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2018
Great place to work, excellent pay. Direct manager was really nice but still assertive manager. Case load high and relatively stressful. Overtime is mandatory when it comes up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K