Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Too much waste of time and no responsibility
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 13, 2018
Too many lifetime employees who know how to milk the system. Management will not correct employees because they will run to the union and complain. As long as you come to work and fill a seat you can do whatever you like all day long. Some of the clinics were up to three years behind with no reason to be. Witnessed staff yelling, cursing and being vulgar in front of patients on a daily basis. I was so disappointed with my coworkers behavior and the lack of accountability. Our Veterans deserve better!!
Pros
Working with Veterans
Cons
No accountability
Typical day at work
Service Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  North Riverside, ILFebruary 13, 2018
Call center environment, High Security due to working with sensitive information. Management was good, willing to help out if there was a question or issue during Phone calls via Skype for business chat rooms. Casual/business casual attire. The hardest part is the repetitive nature of day to day activity. The most enjoyable part is you are helping support the mission of the VA with troubleshooting medical care equipment via phone or email.
Pros
Healthcare
Resigned, under duress
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 12, 2018
Chronically flawed management practices and policies that don't serve the employee or veteran. Attempts to address any issues within supervisory/management chain always ended in futility and frustration.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
Frustration of working with grossly dysfunctional management/leadership
Felt good about being able to help veterans
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 12, 2018
My job was to review the veteran's file and based on the medical evidence of record rate the veterans disabilities. As a rating specialist I was on production and quality. I learned to navigate through different software applications and that flexibility was required due to the changes in regulations, which was the hardest part of the job. Regulations changes were frequent and trying to keep up was at times difficult. The most enjoyable part was knowing you were helping the veterans and the people I worked with.
Stressful
Financial Accounts Technician (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNFebruary 12, 2018
I love the va but do not love this location due to the productivity environment and inept leadership. The management is only concerned about numbers & money and the workers are undervalued.
fufilling
HUMAN RESOURCE PROGRAM SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARFebruary 12, 2018
I loved helping the Veterans. I had a great group of people on my team. with the right motivation and attitude you could really advance quickly. very competitive and at times hostile.
Pros
rewarding service
Cons
difficult situations
Work Study Program
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 12, 2018
Great people and environment. I was hoping that this would be a door opener for a position in Veteran Affairs, however I quickly learned that federal employment is not as easy to seems to get into.
Just don't do it
Staff RN - Care Coordination (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2018
Toxic culture, many of the managers are crooked and it is very political they do what ever it takes for them to bonus without regard to veterans or human life.
Good place to work but stressful
Medical Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 10, 2018
Overall love the job but experience challenges with management at times . Great experience with VA and love serving the Veterabs and their families. A good company to work for and learn a lot .
Making new friends
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJFebruary 10, 2018
I enjoy working at the VA I met a lot of wonderful people and who has since became friends. I am a veteran so I felt right at home with other veterans
Pros
Learning new skills
bad management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 10, 2018
learned a lot but it was an awesome place to work helping others keep a kind smile and attitude the hardest part was the employees but i just ignored them and focused on my customers
Terrible culture, incredible mission
Office of Inspector General (Current Employee) –  Washington D.C.February 9, 2018
The mission of the organization is an amazing one. But in the VA, I have met both some of the best people I have encountered in life, and some of the worst. The culture is one that fosters gossip, infighting and a lack of teamwork. Yet, the scope and breadth of the impact you can have on the Department of Veterans Affairs and veterans' lives, is amazing.
Stable employment
Readjustment Counseling Therapist (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLFebruary 9, 2018
Good place to work. Social workers tend to make more than local economy offers. Management has been good. Benefits are great. Pension and match contributions Thrift Savings Plan.
Benefits
Cons
Some co-workers
Unionized with little chance to advance
Clinical Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 9, 2018
Government facility with a culture that appeared to promote on whether one was liked or popular. Union hospital with seniority enforced. I was unable to take vacation with my children during the summer or Christmas school break. No support from upper management for middle management.
Pros
Excellent retirement opportunities
Cons
Minimal support for growth, pigeon-holing culture
Many good co workers, worked hard all the time, many times no lunch, never said not in my job description
Primary Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHFebruary 9, 2018
Very bad management. people are never fired,alot of nepotism and alot of dead wood. You can work very hard and still no respect. Loved the Va when I first went there but over time it has all changed-for the bad. There was no respect and left there feeling, very bad about myself-not respected at all
Pros
Money is good so is benefits
Cons
Not the job for a person starting in law enforcemnet
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAFebruary 9, 2018
Some days are slow pace, and other it can get fast pace. Good co-workers to work with. Management is not bad. No overtime, Promotions dose not come up very offer.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Under paid for federal law enforcement agency. No overtime.
Job Security
Lead Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 9, 2018
The one thing about working for the Federal Government that everyone comes here for is Job Security.

However, the ceiling for advancement is VERY LOW... The hiring process is extremely slow and tedious. Advancement is based on answering questions not merit.
good job
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 8, 2018
the management just was not the type of people I wanted to work for. The team members are great, we always worked as a team to get the project done before its dead line.
Great organization
Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCFebruary 8, 2018
I loved it.. i was therr 5 years. Lesrnef alit. They have lots of growth potential, snd the people are awesome. I had persomal issues and hsd to resign otjerwise i wouldvstill b yhrtr
Love my co-workers
Program Support Assistant (PSA), Purchase Care (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39216February 8, 2018
Enjoyed working for this this agency working with the veterans. I felt needed. Made sure the veterans were taken care off in a timely manner because most of the care I assisted with was for citizen seniors.
Pros
days off
Cons
short staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K