Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

great
Veteran Student Rep (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 15, 2018
I worked helping vets and dependents with financial aid at vwcc. this was not a full time job just work study on campus at vwcc in the vets office. my
horrible management
SYSTEMS AND PROCEDURES ANALYST(Finance Manager) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 15, 2018
horrible management, focus on mission is not priority. Titles supersede common sense and accountability. Reprisal is common in the current environment.
Pros
Very stressful place to work
Medical Records Technician/Coder (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KY 40502May 15, 2018
I can handle stress any day of the week BUT the kind of back stabbing stressful environment here is just too much. Employees are not permitted to talk during work hours, you can hear a pin drop in an office of over 40 people. You are expected no mistakes and are not permitted to have a "bad day". I followed the advisement of my immediate supervisor to the word and got myself set up. Will never fall for that again.
Pros
Cons
Stress level
Poor management
LPN (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GA 30904May 15, 2018
My most enjoyable moments were taking care of the veterans the worst part was poor management and the coroption of the va system down south if I would have stayed out west I may have not resigned ,
Pros
Loved taking care of vets after 14 yrs
Cons
Poor management
If you value the E Quadrant the VA is a great place
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 14, 2018
Promotions are annually for the most part, either in a grade increase or in a step increase. Production and quality standards however give it very much a sales feel without the commissions.
Pros
Job security as long as you do your job
Cons
Quality and Production Standards, no control of income
productive, friendly, relaxed
Lease Acquisition Coordinator/Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 14, 2018
I would recommend working with the VA because of it's culture and diversity. Nice place to work with a lot of perks and room for advancement. It doesn't discriminate against older people or disabled people and it give you a sense of security.
Pros
job advancement and security
nothing changes
Human Resource Administrative Specialist - GS (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMay 14, 2018
the culture stays the same. Its always been done a certain way and nobody is open to changing or updating the process for improvement no matter how much talk or money is spent to do so. Its all government run-a-round.
If you get a job here, you have to play the game, get in with the right crowd and keep your head low. If you speak out or speak up, you are blacklisted and will never be able to advance.
Pros
great pay
Cons
bad culture, poor management, low moral
Not at all what was expected/promised
Coder (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 13, 2018
Very slow to get hired and then when hired even slower to get to work. A lot of interpersonal drama in the workplace that is never addressed. Very dirty work environment.
Learning and productive work enviornment
Health Science Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2018
I enjoy working with Veterans who are in need of support. I find that I have challenged myself to gain a better sense of the social work profession and how to ensure the safety and wellbeing of others in crisis.
I truly enjoyed working there.
Volunteer as 2nd Floor Greeter/Host (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMay 13, 2018
Very good relationship and deals with the staff of several departments, veterans, and patience. They kept me busy, with numerous things to do or projects, daily helping to restock shelves and needed items to be issued out to patience. Spoke with and directed veterans/patience to their needed destination around the hospital.
Pros
All my skills were used and needed there, my work made me want to come back, I enjoyed the people, I became more physically fit and able to do more things, kept my mind working, and helped me get a regular part-time job.
Cons
Just the pay and didn't work enough hours, head boss was difficult to satisfy.
I thoroughly enjoyed working with veterans
Pharmacy Practice Resident (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 12, 2018
For the most part, this is a positive workplace, there are always a few lemons. I got great satisfaction helping veterans feel better and increase their quality of health. Most employees are very cooperative and helpful.
Pros
positive work culture
Cons
location
shipper/packer
Shipper/Packer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 12, 2018
I love working in shipping and receiving. Easy to process orders in a timely manner; and ensure veterans have easy access to medications prescribed for them.
Educational
Supervisor, Medical Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 11, 2018
The VA Medical Center is a teaching facility. There is training provided for all employees for every pprofession and position. It is a very diversed community. Fun, relaxed, but at the same time all employees have the same goal in mind; To serve those wo served.
Management has open door policy. The hardest part of the job is find parking with the large number of employees and the ever growing number of veterans seeking care, find a parking space is a job in itself.

The most enjoyable part of the job the to work with the veterans; being to play a part in fulfilling the promise wich was promised to them when taking the oath to serve and protect this county.And that was to be give the oppotunity to receive the best healthcare offered t them.

The staff at the VA Meidcal Center strive to make sure "Our American Heros and given the care and respect the so well deserve.
Pros
paid vacation and sick days, thrift Savings Plan
8 hour day
Manager (Current Employee) –  Watertown, NYMay 10, 2018
A typical day at work consits of being Responsible for helping patients select the proper corrective eyewear including frame and lenses to suit their professional needs and lifestyle, as well as accommodating for their particular vision correction needs
• Maintain responsibility for taking and recording proper measurements including segment
height, bifocal measurement, pupilary measurements, etc. to ensure patient has the best visual clarity possible. Laughing with the vets and trying to make the best.
Career Opportunities
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 10, 2018
Opportunities for female employees at the Jackson VA Medical Center are great compared to other agencies in which I've worked. Females are given the opportunities to advance based on their knowledge, skills, abilities and education. Females holds to majority of top job positions at the Jackson VA. When selecting for candidates in top management positions, the decision to hire the gest candidate is not based on race, sex, color, or Military affiliation.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short Staffed
Contracting
Contracting Officer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 10, 2018
My job is very important to me. I feel like work for the Veterans is a fulfilling position that I have performed in my career. Working at the VA I received more training that anyone could ever want. It is important to get all the education you need to advance in your career. My previous Supervisor helped me get to where I am in my career and without his knowledge and pushing his experience I would not be where I am today. There is no hard part to my job, I always make sure I complete all my obligations.
Pros
Matching 401K
great place to work
Network Provider Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 10, 2018
nice place to work. culture of working with veterans is a great atmosphere. typical work day includes negotiating contracts and direct interaction with providers.
Medical Support Assistant, ED (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 10, 2018
I have been employed with the Department of Veterans Affairs for 30 + years. I really enjoy working with the Veterans, and their families, ensuring that they are receiving all that they are entitled to administratively. Conversing with the veterans and listening to some of their stories. I worked in the Emergency Department for 12 + years. I think the hardest part was shift rotation.
Benefits
Cons
Short lunch
Important Mission with Great Benefits
Employee (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 10, 2018
Working at the VA is such important work. The benefits are great and the people are incredible. I love giving back to those that have so selflessly served our great nation.
Great career and learning experience
Claim Assistant (Veteran's Service Center) (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 10, 2018
Very productive and meaningful learning experience. Learned more about the different law and regulation that deal with disability comensation and education beenfits for veteran and their dependents.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K