Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Medical supply tech/Supply tech
Certified Medical Supply Tech (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 4, 2017
Hostile work environment, Prejudiced, union is all politics. If you are African American stay way from the V.A. Higher up white Manager are Nasty rude
Pros
paid hoilday
Cons
no dissablity insurance
better than most would expect.
Program Manager, Clinical Operations (Current Employee) –  San Bruno, CADecember 4, 2017
Department of Veterans Affairs is a great place to work for motivated individuals. There are available promotion opportunities for those who wish to expand their knowledge base and learn about healthcare.
Pros
benefits and flexibility
Cons
Union for physicians
Incompetent management
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 4, 2017
This place is a laid back place for lazy people especially the management folks. These folks can care less about veterans. They talk a good talk about quality but they do not care. It’s all a game to them. The VA has re$ource$ to be better than most hospitals but unfortunately the money is wasted on these useless on the job job retirees with no real vision. Sad!
Pros
Laid back environment where you can be lazy or work hard if you want to. Management is useless.
Cons
Incompetent management
Va
General Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 4, 2017
One of the major benefits working at the VA is Job Security. Most of the work is not very difficult and the atmosphere is laid back. The VA and Federal workforce in general is not a place for one who has ambition.
Pros
Job Security
EMS/ Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 3, 2017
Va has its ups an downs the benifits are awesome management has its con over all good place to work if you can stay to yourself, loved working with the veterans/patients
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Contract
Contracts/ Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 1, 2017
I was a contract employee for the VA. I was not treated fairly. My company did not check in with us regularly. I reported for duty, did my job and I did an excellent job. I excelled at what I was asked to do and was able to cross train in other areas within the department. Sadly the VA only hired a limited number of contracted employees on for full time employment (I was not selected). That was the hardest part of the job. The best part of the job/ employment/ contract was using the skills I acquired to propel my career to where I am now. It was an enjoyable transition.
Pros
Propelled my career
Cons
Not hired Permanently
Flexible
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 30, 2017
Flexible hours and good amount of yearly leave. Jobs are very competitive and you have to apply along with the public to be considered for a promotion.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible easy career path
Cons
No promotion potential and slow to no growth
Respectfully decline!
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Haven, CTNovember 30, 2017
In fairness to the limited number of Great Supervisors, I will decline to offer a honest review at this time to eliminate the possibility of them being included in a truthful review that will not reflect positively on them. I will say depending on the station, demographics each VA has a different experience...
Good Overall
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 29, 2017
Good Overall lack of advancement opportunities forces many to seek other employment. The culture is positive and supports the overall mission of helping Veterans.
A good place to work with a good mission
Industrial Engineer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 29, 2017
The VA has a good mission and they do very good work. The vast majority of employees work very hard and care about the veterans they help. The news paints the picture that it is poorly run and provides poor care, however those stories are very small percentage of the overall operations.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
government red tape
Podiatry resident physician
Resident Physician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 29, 2017
Great place to train, well balanced and worked side by side great attendings who were willing to assist you in any way the could. Long hours, great place to train.
Overall Satisfied
Support Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 28, 2017
Typical government job the work was learnable
Management show favoritism
Good place to work, flexible with scheduled
Daily work is not hard
Hardest part of the job is waiting for decisions because its a government entity. No empowerment is given.
Learned that under additional worked as assigned is much more than actual job description duties.
Benefits
Career Advancement
Program Support Assistant OA (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2017
When you work at VA, you will have a comfortable salary, career opportunities, comprehensive benefits and great work/life balance, just like the private sector. The opportunity to serve Veterans
Pros
Serving others
Cons
No complaints
Excellent place to build your career
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  West Haven, CT 06516November 27, 2017
The pace can become overwhelming at times. Overall, The V.A. is a good Hospital to build a career and advance to a Supervisory level. Building relationships and networking is paramount to moving ahead.
Poor pay/benefits
PACT RN (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 27, 2017
Poor management, bad compensation, loved helping our nation's hero's. Short staffed for nurses, management doesnt care how much work you do as long as you get it done. No overtime paid
Pros
Good time off
Competitive and Professional
Housekeeping Aide (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 27, 2017
can be easy can be hard can be dangerous, very Professional atmosphere.
lunch breaks are nice the cafeteria area is nice and clean and I like shopping at the on campus PX
Pros
bonuse work incentives end of the year
Cons
Great benefits but not much room to grow as a nurse
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLNovember 27, 2017
It is a fast paced job. Unfortunately not all VA facilities are the same, some are better than others in regards to helping you with furthering your education and advancing in your career.
Stressful
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Northport, NYNovember 27, 2017
As a Veteran, I was able to assist those in need. It was a very positive position for Veterans to be able to return back to society and live a well balanced life.
This was not the type of work environment I would recommend to anyone
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 27, 2017
I would come in approx. 2:12pm,then go to the ladies locker room to put on my uniform if I did'nt already have it on and put away my personal effects. I would then stop by the Housekeeping office to sign in and pick up the keys for my assigned area, which for me was the Emergency Room practically the entire time I worked at the Decatur Hospital. I would then prepare the cleaning cart I would be using throughout my shift. I would then proceed to assess the bathrooms in the Emergency room area to determine if they needed attention.
I learned the people basically the same wherever you go.They will usually go along with the consensus of the majority. The Management in my area usually wanted to take the path of least resistance as in my case since I did not make trouble, or constantly complain, I was practically ignored, even when I would occasionally bring to their attention problems that I encountered. The hardest part of my job was working alone. I was never offered assistance even though the job assignments and work load was obviously overwhelming. I can not honestly say that there was an enjoyable part of my job. I felt harassed for reasons I believe were for personal standards I have that werre obvious and of which I would not violate for any perks or favors I would receive in return.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CANovember 27, 2017
Volunteering and assisting fellow veterans with their issues is extremely rewarding. There are challenges that come along with helping others but there's always another vet there to help.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.