Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 4,649 reviews matching the search See all 4,653 reviews
Poor work environment
Licensed Professional Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Evansville, IN 47715November 7, 2018
Poor work environment due to supervisors/management not following ethical standards/policies.

Many good co-workers.

However, many instances of harassment with coworkers in multiple
Fast Paced but relaxed in a way
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 7, 2018
Loved working with my crew because we were so focused on our job and helping our customers. You do have veterans that come in very angry wanting their benefits but as long as you show some effort they will be nicer towards you.
hated it
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 6, 2018
Im just not cut out to work in the office crunching numbers, salary was decent, enjoyed spending time with my coworkers but the job duties and tasks were just so mundane and dreadful...one of my closest friends i ended up making at the VA has been there for almost 20 years, theres no way I could stay at that place that long. Id die
Learning place
Hematology Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 5, 2018
Best job I have ever had. To much to learn, high technology and advanced instrumentation. Good benefits, sick days, vacation, holidays. Flexibile hours.
Productivity and Overall Management
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 5, 2018
I enjoyed my time at the Veteran Affairs location at Ft McPherson. The job itself was challenging but I felt like I made a difference while I was employed there. My management team was amazing and I miss every moment.
Pros
fast-pace, great communication
Cons
parking, agency assistance
Toxic
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Iowa cityNovember 5, 2018
I have no idea who is putting the good reviews here but if you enjoy being attacked by the supervisors whom are terrible at thier jobs then this is the place for you. Google VA Hospital toxic work environment and employees anonymously give true and accurate reviews of the work culture. No training. Employees are miserable and make sure you are also. I feel sorry for the vets. All the good employees eventually leave.
Cons
Toxic
Productivity
Lead Claims Specialist- GS07-4 (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19144November 5, 2018
I work with numbers and figures all day. There is very little interaction with our clients which for me is te hardest aspect of my position. We work with older technology that makes my job more difficult Given the fact that new technology exists for accounting procedures, we still rely on hand calculators and other outdated systems to complete the majority of important daily functions. I enjoy working from home. Management seems unwilling to take risks or invest in improving employees career advancement or spend money in improving technology
Pros
I love math and working with figues. I love having a steadt income.
Cons
and can see the results of my efforts.
Good
Housekeeping Aid Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILNovember 4, 2018
Overall a learning concept at best it is amazing how they work in the background. I believe people need to see this cause it takes a lot to take care of the vets.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Non
Extremely stressful
Rating Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 3, 2018
While pay is good not worth the stress. Love what I do which is serve Veterans however meeting numbers seem to matter most to Washington vs Vets. and employees. Standards are absurd have to work through my breaks and lunch just to try to meet my transactions while worrying about quality which is at times based on somebody else’s interpretation of the law from which we get dinged on errors. I despise the structure. Know of three of my co workers who had strokes bcs of the stress that comes with this job. Not worth the pay.
Pros
Leave
Cons
Extremely stressful with absurd standards
Work from Home
German Translator - Global Dimensions (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, CONovember 3, 2018
Enjoy work. It is at my own pace. Rewarding outcome.
Received a bonus already. Meets my needs of part time work.
O board process requires finger prints and background check. Including reference check. Learn as you go job, but plenty of online resources available to help you out. Love the culture. Typical day is working in my home office. Management are cool and helpful.
Pros
work from home
Cons
work not always steady
Don't even consider it
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 2, 2018
Typical government job; VERY unorganized, valuable training is non-existent, the only motivation to come into work everyday is a paycheck and not to get fired..
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Literally everything else
It's a great place to work
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, AR 72114November 2, 2018
I enjoy working for the VA a great job and it has great benefits. It will be a great place to start and it has opportunity to move around. Just mind your business and stay focus on your goals
excellent place of education and work
Social Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 2, 2018
Great diverse place to work. Very team and goal driven place to work. Everyone helping each other and the Veterans of today. With proper education and guidance one can excel.
Administrative Assistant - VA Hospital (Former Employee) –  Fort Harrison, MTNovember 2, 2018
A lot of teamwork...Shared mission. The VA facility at which I worked had good leadership, good facilities We took a lot of pride in our work, helping vets.
Pros
posative culture, good pay
Cons
VA is subject of unfair critisim.
fun
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLNovember 1, 2018
helping VA students get certified as a veteran student. this is just for students only. also just for veterans only . the management is great its a nice job.
Pros
free lunch
Poor care
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20011November 1, 2018
12 hour shifts
Workplace is cut throat with scant educational and management support. Nurses usually provide primary nursing. Compressed work schedule and federal benefits best aspects
Long hours listening to Veterans problems
Veterans Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 1, 2018
It was okay. Different personalities were mainly the issue. Worst part about it was listening to Veterans tell you how much they hate the VA and how we don't or didn't do anything to help them.
Atrocious Mgmt of DVA
Fed. LEO - Lt./Sprv. LEO/Trng. Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67218October 31, 2018
One of the most inept and incompetent leadership environments I have ever witnessed or been a part of. From Facility management all the way down to department/section management, the vast majority are incapable of overall effective leadership. I emphasize management because most are horribly atrocious leaders an have no business managing or leading any area of the workforce. Particularly, the VA Police at the Robert J. Dole VAMC in Wichita, Kansas. As well as the overall mgmt of the Office of Security & Law Enforcement of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Productive Workplace
Advanced Medical Support Assistant / TOD (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 30, 2018
Days working within the Va can be stressful at times, However with support you will be able to get through. You must be able to adapt to change. For the most part many are supportive and work as team players.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Great Benefits, Job stability
Working at the Veteran Administration was the most rewarding of all my positions as an LPN. Serving our veterans gave me a pride in my work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 28, 2018
I would still be working at the Veteran's Administration if they offered part-time work. I was having some health problems in 2015-2016 that led to my retirement. The work is very rewarding most of the time. A veteran may become upset very easily due to PTSA for TBA (traumatic brain injury). It takes a patient and caring nurse to be able to defuse a situation.
Pros
No Weekends, Holidays, or nights. Also receive the federal holidays as well. Tuition reimbursement.
Cons
The VA in Evansville is micromanaged by the VA in Marion, Illinois. There is a problem with communication at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K