Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19144February 24, 2018
Learned how to process work tickets. And communicate through email and phone. Increase my knowledge of the uses of spreadsheets and data entry. Hardest part of the job was not getting any information technology training. The great part was the people I worked with. management was not very good, because I was an intern, they had the use them up attitude.
Pros
hoping to get hired
Cons
never happen
WorkPlace Culture
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 24, 2018
No advance opportunities. Poor management. Regular staff call offs so work short staffed. Not much to learn. Do not feel challenged. A good retirement job.
Excellent Mission; Caring Staff;
ASSOCIATE MEDICAL CENTER DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAFebruary 23, 2018
Depending on which VA one works, leadership can be problematic. The good ole boy system is alive and well within the VA. Highly skilled and educated people ascend to leadership, but are poor leaders due to little or no leadership training, which could create disharmony and low employee morale, in certain VA's.

Also, low performing employees are not held accountable because many low performing supervisors don't want to devote the time required to discipline, fighting the unions and EEO representatives.
Fortunately, by far, the mission of the VA keeps one engaged with the VA healthcare system.
Pros
benefits, the Mission of the VA
Cons
Ability to promote deserving employees
Veterans Health Administration
Medical Records Technician (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVFebruary 23, 2018
A great place to work, especially for veterans and military retirees. Some VA locations are better than others. However, at the end of the day, you are serving veterans which is most important.
Work-Study
Work-Study VSO Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hollister, CAFebruary 23, 2018
As a work-study student you were afforded the opportunity to help veterans start medical claims and find information within the scope of the VA. You were allowed to file sensitive paperwork, take notes, set appointments, help navigate VA webpages, and find agencies to further help a veteran. workplace culture depended upon what branch of service did the most talking in the waiting area. The hardest part of the job was discovering some individuals were afflicted with terminal illnesses. The most enjoyable part of the job was listening to vets stories and putting a smile on someones face when you helped them.
Pros
set hours, great for students, good admin experience
Cons
only allowed to work during semesters
VBA people are great to work with
Program Director - CSRA, for VA (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 22, 2018
Worked with a lot of passionate, hard-working people. Able to get a lot done.
VBA people really care about the veterans and getting them what they deserve.
Got things done a lot faster than I was used to with VA.
Was able to create new accounting monitoring systems used to monitor and direct vendor actions. Developed numerous commercial contracts.
Engineering Budget Analysis Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2018
Work extensively with the engineering staff, numerous contract specialists, technical vendors, medical technicians, accounting staff, and more. Was appointed by the agency director to participate in random drug testing of medical staff, nurses, and more.
Pros
interface with many highly educated and knowledgable staff, outside vendors, contractors and more.
Cons
very little room for financial advances (raises and/or promotion).
Poor management, amazing co-workers
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAFebruary 22, 2018
Management on the CLC very poor, fear based management system, guilty until proven innocent. Not able to transfer to other positions easily or at all. Lots of mandatory overtime. You can be mandated to work 16 hours then are expected to return within 8 hours for the next shift. No 12 hr shifts, all 8 hr shifts with mandatory overtime thrown in. You feel like you live there.
Pros
Vacation time, benefits, discounts, co-workers
Cons
Mandatory overtime, can't use your vacation time when you want, seniority system for vacation, management poor and quick to blame and use floor employees as scapegoat.
Meh
Exercise Physiologist (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYFebruary 22, 2018
This place would be great if they would get rid of all the non-veteran middle managers who don't know their backside from a hole in the ground. There is no accountability for poor performance. Fix those two things and this place would function a lot more effectively.
Great group of team players
State of Florida Women Veterans Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 22, 2018
A typical day varies, it could be a very easy light day or fast pace, stressful day. During Board of Veterans Affairs travel board hearings the week gets very long and stressful. Most of the co-workers are very much team players and are hard workers.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Too short of lunch break, organization is very unorganized, no SOPs, no consistency.
Great Employment.
Legal Aid Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRFebruary 22, 2018
Great work life balance environment. Great pay and benefits. Military friendly workplace. Room for growth nationwide. Competitive work enviorment. Good benefits.
Pros
Availibity for upwards mobility.
Rewarding and challenging
Night shift Staff Nurse in Domiciliary and PTSD (Current Employee) –  Fort Thomas, KYFebruary 22, 2018
It is a great place to work. Rewarding to care for fellow Veterans
that have served our country. Unfortunately some individuals have been here so long they take duties for granted and it seems challenging at best to get rid of or hold such individuals accountable.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
Poor accountability
I enjoyed working at The Department of Veterans Affairs. I started working there under a temp agency and it went from there.
Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 21, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at the Department of Veteran's Affairs. I started working there under a Temp agency. My assignment was too be there for 30 days. In that time, I was opening and sorting mail, filing,and helped out where needed.
After my assignment was up, the VA wanted me to stay on so I started processing claims. The VA was located in the barracks. I was given the choice to apply and become permanent. Becoming permanent was extremely hard. there were several written tests that had to be approved. Then came the interview. i was seated in a closed door room surrounded by 5 people. These were the top management staff who began asking me random questions and I had to answer them correctly.
When the interviewing was over, I was told it would be another 2 weeks before I received any word if I passed or filed. they had 4 positions open and of us applied. I was so stressed out waiting to find out the answer and was overjoyed when I got the position.
Pros
Processed Veterans claims for payment, answered phones, took over the Liver Transplant Veterans, responsible to find a chair for them to receive Dialysis. Responsible for ordering office supplies, responsible for maintenance of copy machine, processed Statement of the Case reports, responsible for Home Health Excel spread sheet done on a monthly basis, kept track of Excel spread sheets on cost of supplies
Cons
Supervisor and Manager played favorites with certain co-workers who got to take longer breaks.
Providing a service to veterans while battling bureaucracy
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 21, 2018
Typical work day started at 6 a.m. serving veterans who were admitted patients.The most valuable things I learned were time management skills and the preparation of various patients eclectic diets.The management style used were old outdated VA policies that were not progressive enough for today's time and age.The workplace culture suffered due to these outdated policies and created a high school atmosphere that was not conducive to giving veterans the service they deserved and earned.The most enjoyable part of the job was becoming friends with the older veterans, learning about American military traditions,customs, and the impact it had on todays military.
Pros
Making a veteran feel special and appreciated
Cons
Bureaucracy
Government
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 21, 2018
I have worked for the government on and off since 1982, one of the best work forces I have been attached to is the U.S. Government. DoD and now VA are the top of my list. The benefits are amazing the supervisors I have experienced have all been superior.
Pros
benefits, work environment
Bad management
Human Resource Generalist/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 21, 2018
The management staff at VA in Milwaukee is very bad. I would not recommend anyone to work here. They are very unfair toward staff and definitely minorities.
comments
Phlebotomis/Nurse support (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 21, 2018
its very different from my others employers.
not enough salary paid.
no team work.
supervisor is not fair with all employees.
excellent benefits
approve of vacation/sick leave
Pros
pay vacctions/sick leave
Cons
not a any team work.
Great learning experience
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAFebruary 21, 2018
Working at the Department of Veteran Affairs was a great learning experience. The environment is friendly and their is a since of community. It's also very fulfilling to be able to help and assist the veterans.
Typical Day
Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 21, 2018
Answer and complete veterans request. The 2nd shift management staff are all nice and very approachable. As long as you are there to do your job and meet your daily quota you will not be bothered.
Great mission.
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2018
Great mission. Challenging political environment. Many wonderful staff trying to do well in an environment that is heavily focused on accountability and less so on engagement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K