Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Making Life Better
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 19, 2018
Volunteering at the VA in Baltimore in the My Healthe Vet department allowed me to learn so much about veterans, their concerns, their needs and their frustrations. It was great helping them learn to use the computer to learn how to manage their health situations and to have access to all that is available to veterans..Many times, all that some veterans who came to the office wanted was a listening ear and I provided that, too. It was great helping those who had given so much .
Pros
Becoming more aware of what serving in the military means
Job Security
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2018
Job has it pros and cons. Pros paid every two weeks. Cons no life outside of work. They send you away for training in Littlerock Arkansas. Cost of living raise the first of the year, but not much at all.
Pros
Paid every two weeks.
Cons
No Life outside of work.
Extremely Stressful
Lead Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJune 18, 2018
The structure is not what it could be, no chance to advance and overworked for little pay. Pay does not compensate the type and amount of work. There is no training for replacements and workloads are usually more than one person can handle for extended periods of time.
MEDICAL RECORDS TECH (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 18, 2018
I love my job and the people I work with. I index medical records on a daily basis and I work with nurses to upload stat files that have to be in immediately.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
You cannot move up in the file clerk position
N/a
N/A (Former Employee) –  FLJune 18, 2018
Not too much to say. I hope they are doing a better of job of reviewing and processing claims in a timely fashion. It will help improve the veterans experience.
cared for Father
Home Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trenton, MIJune 18, 2018
Aid and Attendance was earned by my father for his care. As a benefit to my father, I was happy he had it and that I personally was able to care for him and know that his care was up to standards
Pros
was able to care for loved one.
Housekeeping Aid
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 18, 2018
it's just ok, working is all right. The pay is very good, and that just is along thing that is keeping me their because everything else it just another job's
Pros
good paying Job
Cohesive and Relaxed Atmospher
Hearing Officer (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAJune 18, 2018
Atmosphere at Decatur location is relaxed because the Director offers an open door policy and he has a willingness to listen and stand behind his employees.
Pros
Director and his ability to guide lead and work alongside us.
Bad management
Medical technicians (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 18, 2018
Coworkers have to much drama. Management would do better with work schedule. Management will write you up for taking to much time in the bathroom. Coworkers are always on their phones.
Pros
Helping our Vets
Cons
Bad management
Great management
Nursing Assistant/Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 17, 2018
There is no typical day at work. By working in the psychiatric ward, anything is subject to have at anytime. So that why we have an understanding manager that is so involved in the productivity of her staff.
Pros
Excellant team of workers that has each others back.
Cons
not enough breaks/not enough staff

Want to know more about Department of Veterans Affairs?

Ask a question
Excellent Co-workers with Sabotaging and Toxic Leadership
VASH Senior Social Worker (Current Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAJune 17, 2018
I’ve been with the VA for five years and hoped to put in three more to retire with ten years of GS service. I don’t think I’ll make it. I’m starting to look for another job. The leadership is a revolving door. They hired a supervisor who came from out of the area and never did the job to direct those of us who’ve been her for years. There’s no real opportunity for advancement. I tried to take the supervisory role and they refused to pay me any more for the additional responsibility so I passed. They care little for the morale and welfare of the staff, and while they say they care about the veterans, if you advocate for them you get labeled a trouble-maker and subtly retaliated against. The latest thing is “metrics” where they track your “productivity” as measured by coding in the medical record. This does not allow for any clinical autonomy, best practice, and professional judgement - yet they want to hire only Licensed Clinical Social Workers in my position. Very demoralizing and counter-productive. And they wonder why they have so many vacancies and problems with retention?!
Pros
Health Insurance, Paid Time Off, Retirement Savings Plan
Cons
Demoralizing, Unsupportive Structure, Inadequate Resources for Staff and Veterans
need to change
Psychology Technician (Current Employee) –  NCJune 16, 2018
they need to change and all you get is that is the way the VA is. to many people who think they are entitled and don't do their jobs. Supervisors do not listen to the people
Unhealthy culture of hostility
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJJune 16, 2018
First let me say working with the vets was always interesting. The problem with the VA is the culture of hostility that management practices. It’s seems that management is encouraged to harass its employees and create a fear based environment all the while being totally incompetent. The worst offenders being the radiology department directors . They are allowed to change your schedule, shift, days off and even location at will. If you are interested in working for the VA in the Radiology department beware and prepare yourself for ineffective management, no support and a severe work/home life imbalance!
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Extremely incompetent management and hostile work environment
Vsr life
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 15, 2018
A typical day at work is the flexibility and village environment to reach goals regardless of the challenges involved. Managers ensure that employees have the tools required to accomplish daily tasks. Something different is learned on a daily basis which keeps the job alive and not stagnant. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to laugh and play when appropriate and a compressed schedule that feels like a mini vacation every week. The hardest part of the job is production and quality requirements from Congress that challenges the employee in a way that compromises work standards.
Pros
Compressed schedule, flexible reporting time, benefits
Cons
Short lunches, upper management's disconnect to employees
Greatest place to work
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 14, 2018
I really cannot say enough about the VA, there are tons of advancement. Plenty of opportunities to learn. Very friendly coworkers and leadership staff. But best part is the pay!
Pros
Pay, Advancement, Flexability
Cons
Short Breaks, Vacation earnings
Great place
STAFF ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 14, 2018
Great place to work. I was there as a student intern. I enjoyed it do much didn't want to leave. I would love to be employed with them again. All the staff were nice and very helpful.
Work study
Work Study Coordinator / IT (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 13, 2018
I worked here as a work study, and I really loved it. I would work there in a heartbeat as an employee. This may be a bit biased, since I am a veteran myself. But there is a special atmosphere working here that I have not found anywhere else.
Fun place to work!
Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WAJune 13, 2018
Typical day was logging into my work station and processing claims that were ready to be started. I learned a lot about the various programs the VA uses. There's literally dozens of them. Management changed approximately every 6 mos. The coaches (managers) as they're called get moved around to be more well rounded. I worked w/ mostly veterans but there were a few non veterans in the mix. There were pot lucks every Friday and the camaraderie among the group I worked with was outstanding. The hardest part of the job was updating all the systems that had to be updated once a claim was started. The most enjoyable was the people I worked with. Some I still remain friends with today.
Pros
Great atmosphere, people always willing to help you!
Cons
The distance traveling to get there.
Company overview
Senior Contract Specialist (ADDX Corp) (Former Employee) –  Alexnadria Va (Washington DC)June 13, 2018
Very good company to work for, however when contracts end there is no placement for new work or job placement for employees, if you do not work for headquarters
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 13, 2018
Being an MSA, I got to work closely with nurses and doctors everyday as well as interact with veterans.The workplace was mostly relaxed and slow paced with plenty of down time, but could also get busy as a moments notice. I learned a lot about people and how to communicate with different kinds of people. I also perfected a lot of phone skills and communication skills through using the phone and taking messages. I was mostly satisfied with the management I had, as they were mostly pretty hands-off and let their staff kind of manage themselves but were there if we had questions. The most enjoyable part of the job was making connections with the staff that I worked with on a daily basis and being able to help veterans.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K