Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Flexible and Collaborative Internship
Writing and Editing Intern (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 17, 2018
I participated in a digital internship to develop web content for the Veteran Affair's blog. This included research, writing, graphic design, and editing. Very flexible as I could work from anywhere, and the platforms they used for staying in contact were manageable. Learned how to be in constant contact with other interns and supervisors. Culture of the workplace was generally relaxed and friendly. The hardest part of the job was getting the hang of the communication platforms, and the most enjoyable part is by far the ability to work remotely from anywhere.
Production and Quality are very important factors
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Must do a minimum of 150 claims per shift . It is easy to meet production when the claims are nice and neat and easy to ready , the leads are very nice people.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Hard to meet production at times when the claims are messy
Great for job security
Advanced Medical Support Assistant-Registration (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 17, 2018
There is a lot to learn both from the employees and the veterans. Also it is a pleasure being able to provide services to veterans. The work culture is exciting.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
health benefits
Working for the Federal Government does not provide extra frills
Senior IRB Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 17, 2018
The Department of VA is a great place to work if you are one for structure with less planning required to do your job. There is a standard within the research field that is followed by all VA facilities, therefore making work within certain guidelines an easier approach to accomplishing goals.
Pros
job security
Cons
short breaks
Veterans
Student Clinician (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, NYSeptember 16, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time spent at the VA. My entire life, I've known my true passion is to work with the United States Veterans. I was born into a military family, and take this population to heart.
Low moral
Personal (Current Employee) –  PersonalSeptember 16, 2018
Poor management which affects the moral of the good employees. Advancement doesn’t happen unless you know someone and unless you get close to you supervisor, you may not get a good recommendation to move to another area.
Pros
End of shift
Cons
No management support
great work environment
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 14, 2018
excellent job is the ideal job to jump start your career in Healthcare administration. very fast paced work environment and super competitive stations.
Pros
wonderful job
Cons
short breaks
The work is wonderful, needs better management from mid-level up.
Supervisory Veterans Service Representataive (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 13, 2018
Mid to upper level management is mostly made up of non-prior military who do not understand the culture and problems of the customers they serve. The non-management workers are awesome.
Pros
Pay and leave, telework
Cons
Micro management
Great place to start out.
Medical Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Good Hospital, only needing my Doctors and Nurses. Training Hospital. Great system of running the SPD area. I got all of my training from the VA. Work together.
Pros
Holidays, Bonuses
Cons
Some bad Supervisors
Unsatisfactory experience
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 12, 2018
Absolutely no communication. No opportunity for advancement. Employee grievances are not followed up on. Respiratory department is perpetually understaffed. No clerical support for outpatient clinics.
Lots of work
Motor Vehicle Operator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78229September 12, 2018
There is no shortage of the amount of work that needs to be done. The VA runs as best it can but it is not enough. If you plan on coasting by, you are gonna have a bad time. As a worker it would be nice if they hired more people more often.
Medical Support Assistant
Medical Support Assistant-Mental Health Nursing (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CASeptember 12, 2018
The job is fine until you have maxed out your pay grade; then no matter how long you have been around no matter how OUTSTANDING you did your job no one wants you to advance because they want you at a level of expert to teach others around you. The only ones promoted are those that seem sniff under the supervisors and throw the hard working ones under the bus. After a while it gets old because you are not appreciated; instead the duties are piled on with a "I know you are capable attitude". More work but never more money. Just working those that work hard even harder but not helping with their cost of living that clearly effects the temperature and turn over rate of the position.
Pros
Electronic Payroll Deduction, Set schedules, TSP and Annual Leave generation depending on your tenure.
Cons
Micro-Managing, Llack of boundaries in communication i.e. professional use of your personal phone
good benefits
Telehealth Clinical Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547September 11, 2018
poor management. makes it hard to service the veterans. typical work schedule 8 to 4 Mon - Fri. Hardest part of the of working there was lack of good management.
i enjoy being an employee of the VA
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Iron Mountain, MISeptember 11, 2018
Working for the VA is a very rewarding career for me. I enjoy serving our veterans on a daily basis. I feel that the VA is a great organization and they strive to meet the needs of our vets.
Pros
i get to work remotely most of the time
Cons
workload is tough at times
Outstanding community environment
Federal Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXSeptember 11, 2018
My role was in making sure employees and veterans were safe, at all times. I enjoyed the teamwork at the Waco campus. Veterans were put first and always.
Best job ever
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
Everyone I worked with on my team cared about improving healthcare for Veterans. We encountered some local staff who had a hard time adjusting to new national policies
Dept of Veterans Affair
Housekeeping II (Former Employee) –  Talihina, OKSeptember 9, 2018
The job overall was easy going. I didn't mind working there. Just didn't get along with the director who didn't like opinionated personal. It was close to home.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Advacement, and management
Depending on your service
Security Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37212September 8, 2018
Depending on your service you may have good supervisors and good co-workers. At the Department of Veteran Affairs they hire Leads as like a buffer, sometime you get a good Lead and sometimes you don't. Again depending on your department.
Greatness
Motor Vehicle Operator (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MASeptember 8, 2018
Great benefits, good time off. Employees are great and Veterans are amazing . Just work hard and help the veterans and their needs. The pay is not the best but it’s a solid job and helping others that sacrificed themselves for us is very rewarding
Noooooo!!
Supervisor Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21201September 8, 2018
Do not work at the Baltimore VA if you value your mental health. This is one of the worst and most underpaid FED agency's out there, besides DOD. Management does not take care of there people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K