Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Showing all 4,709 reviews
Satisfying helping the Veterans
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CANovember 15, 2018
I loved contracting within the Medical Health Department assisting several medical doctors.
I had asked upon my re-hire full time permanent employee position to be placed back in the Mental Health Department.
They put me working within phone bank rotating me back and forth at the front desk scheduling whole clinic departments appointments
Greeting and registering patient walk-ins

I resigned felt it was not a good fit for me with not having the option to go back into the mental health department.
Pros
Working with the Veterans
Cons
lack of communication with management and being disrespected by supervisor
Jacksonville, FL
Primary Care Physician (Former Employee) –  JAX, FLDecember 11, 2018
Toxic management who view primary care doctors as expendable. You will be doing paperwork and data entry that could be done by a middle schooler, which wastes 40% of your day, but still be expected to get all the patient care done. They are hiring five more because everyone is fleeing the toxic management, unreasonable paperwork volume, lack of specialty access, enabling of abusive patient behavior, and imminent malpractice. Ask them about the two guys in the parking lots with guns they swept under the rug.
Pros
If you refuse to work outside your scheduled hours, hours are good
Cons
They expect 2-3 hours free labor a day + 8.5 hour shift
Great place to work. Fulfilling working for our nations' Veterans
Veterans Law Judge (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 23, 2018
great place to work. Great mentoring program and plenty of autonomy. The hardest part of the job the enormous amount of work, which I was able to handle. A typical day involved interaction with the attorney staff and management, and the review of cases brought to VA by Veterans. I conducted hearings with Veterans and their attorneys, and reviewed draft decisions submitted by attorneys for my signature. I also mentored countless attorneys in my 20 years with the Department.
Great work enviroment
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 8, 2018
Over 5 years I worked my way up through the Department of Veterans Affairs. I have volunteered and been nominated to work special assignments, with great success. I have continued to excel through additional challenges. Hardest part of my job is not being able to effectively help Veterans the way I would like to. In the last year the environment has become less than favorable. With the overhaul within the department and National leadership over the Veterans experience.
Holidaysburg vets home needs more help people are going out on disability no help bosses fault
Chef (Former Employee) –  Holidaysburg vets homeDecember 10, 2018
If you are strong can ignore people do your own work it would be ok no help was beth hofers my bosses fault to much lying boss running around with other men she is.married partThe holidaysburg vetetans is hard. But no help in certain ateas you earn your money here or you quit very stressful place not worth it i quit gave 110 percent hofer pushed me to disability she did nothing.no management dis just me as a cook people were liars sneaks pigs im glad im out but i lost alot of my pension because of that witch.lazy
Pros
Nice vets not workers or bosses lazy
Cons
No help
I enjoyed working in the Engineering dept. as a Program Support Assistant
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 12, 2018
I would process work orders, keep control of all building keys, Mail clerk, timekeeping, PIV Sponsor and ADPAC sponsor. I was able to work with little supervision and the work was very steady. There was always something to do to stay busy and there was no room for promotion with this position. I would radio the maintenance shops if there was work that was called in so they could be aware of what needed fixed or repaired.
Pros
Minimal supervision, federal job
Cons
no promotional opportunities
Poor Micromanagement
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 12, 2018
I thought I would enjoy it but once I actually saw how the department was ran I couldn't get out fast enough. I hated every moment I was there. The work was easy but management made everything more complicated than it needed to be. A lot of "snitches". I was never late but others who were late got in trouble because of all the eyes watching you instead of doing their own jobs. So horrible I would rather go back to the job I left for VA.
Productivity
Lead Claims Specialist- GS07-4 (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19144November 5, 2018
I work with numbers and figures all day. There is very little interaction with our clients which for me is te hardest aspect of my position. We work with older technology that makes my job more difficult Given the fact that new technology exists for accounting procedures, we still rely on hand calculators and other outdated systems to complete the majority of important daily functions. I enjoy working from home. Management seems unwilling to take risks or invest in improving employees career advancement or spend money in improving technology
Pros
I love math and working with figues. I love having a steadt income.
Cons
and can see the results of my efforts.
Extremely stressful
Rating Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 3, 2018
While pay is good not worth the stress. Love what I do which is serve Veterans however meeting numbers seem to matter most to Washington vs Vets. and employees. Standards are absurd have to work through my breaks and lunch just to try to meet my transactions while worrying about quality which is at times based on somebody else’s interpretation of the law from which we get dinged on errors. I despise the structure. Know of three of my co workers who had strokes bcs of the stress that comes with this job. Not worth the pay.
Pros
Leave
Cons
Extremely stressful with absurd standards
Great place to work if you're an RN, LPN, forget it
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Prescott, AZDecember 7, 2018
Love the work, the Veterans but have yet to see a raise in 10 years or more. Leadership will lie about giving a raise and the salary surveys that were suppose to have been done. Total lack of respect for the LPNs yet we are worked just as hard as the RN's. Nurse Practitioners, PA's and Police are all in the same boat. They preach respect yet give none.
Pros
The people we serve, benefits we can pay for
Cons
disrespect

Want to know more about Department of Veterans Affairs?

Ask a question
I have really enjoyed working at the VA. Serving the veterans is best part of the job.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  ArkansasNovember 17, 2018
This has been the best professional job that I have had. I feel very supported by management and I am given the flexibility and autonomy to apply my skills in the workplace.The job can get stressful at times but what job isn't. I have no problems with the culture as my colleagues work well as a team. The hardest part of the job is hearing the devastating details of traumatic experiences that many of the veterans experienced throughout their lives. I have a deeper appreciation for the sacrifices that they made for this country. Waking up to provide a valuable service to those who have served is a true honor.
Pros
valuable work duties
Cons
fixed schedule no flexibility
Politics are more important than productivity
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 27, 2018
A lot of supervisors base their evaluations on how much they like you instead of how much you're producing. It's become more of a popularity contest than an honest objective review of the work you've done.

They also tell you it's okay to telework but you seemingly get penalized if you do it too much because they "haven't seen your face" in a while. Being physically present for a meeting is significantly more important to leadership than your contributions to the team/project. And, while they allow fully virtual (100% remote) employees, they give them little to no opportunity to advance.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good benefits
Cons
Not all positions are union, favoritism, negative attitude towards telework
Atrocious Mgmt of DVA
Fed. LEO - Lt./Sprv. LEO/Trng. Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67218October 31, 2018
One of the most inept and incompetent leadership environments I have ever witnessed or been a part of. From Facility management all the way down to department/section management, the vast majority are incapable of overall effective leadership. I emphasize management because most are horribly atrocious leaders an have no business managing or leading any area of the workforce. Particularly, the VA Police at the Robert J. Dole VAMC in Wichita, Kansas. As well as the overall mgmt of the Office of Security & Law Enforcement of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Working at the Veteran Administration was the most rewarding of all my positions as an LPN. Serving our veterans gave me a pride in my work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 28, 2018
I would still be working at the Veteran's Administration if they offered part-time work. I was having some health problems in 2015-2016 that led to my retirement. The work is very rewarding most of the time. A veteran may become upset very easily due to PTSA for TBA (traumatic brain injury). It takes a patient and caring nurse to be able to defuse a situation.
Pros
No Weekends, Holidays, or nights. Also receive the federal holidays as well. Tuition reimbursement.
Cons
The VA in Evansville is micromanaged by the VA in Marion, Illinois. There is a problem with communication at times.
Toxic enviroment
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INNovember 10, 2018
Lack of present management allowed a very toxic work environment for gs6 paygrade as well as providers, as nursing staff had no present managment, and would insult and belittle all other employees, including fellow nursing staff.,.in addition the regional staff set unrealistic goals for a work site with put every setting a foot in the site to see how and what actually happens on a daily basis.
Pros
Some benefits
Cons
Toxic environment
Extremely interesting, detailed work. Confidentiality a must. Compensated well.
Veterans Claims Examiner and Rater (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 25, 2018
I was pleased because there was a great deal of responsibility with my job. I benefited from the length of time on the job. The job was challenging at times, detailed, and very interesting, which I enjoyed. It was a pleasure knowing I made a positive difference in the lives of veterans and their dependents. I enjoyed the professionalism of my coworkers.
Pros
Very rewarding and interesting. Very good pay and beneftits.
Cons
Continued pressure to produce more interfered with producing quality decisions.
Toxic
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Iowa cityNovember 5, 2018
I have no idea who is putting the good reviews here but if you enjoy being attacked by the supervisors whom are terrible at thier jobs then this is the place for you. Google VA Hospital toxic work environment and employees anonymously give true and accurate reviews of the work culture. No training. Employees are miserable and make sure you are also. I feel sorry for the vets. All the good employees eventually leave.
Cons
Toxic
Run as fast as you can
Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 23, 2018
A typical day at VA is to go along with whatever the 'cool' kids suggest that you go along with or get put in a corner.

I learned what not to do to be an effective leader. For example, don't alienate employees, don't show favoritism, etc.

The workplace culture is tribe driven...there are factions and tribes. You are either in or out.

The hardest part of the job is going in every day with a true intention of supporting the mission and not being able to because of all of the immature and unethical practices surrounding you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is not being there.
Pros
non
Cons
Absolutely unethical leadership. Plan to work for contractors.
The work was relaxing and for a good cause.
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 10, 2018
A typical day at work would include housekeeping or grounds work, for example plowing snow, or cleaning and sanitizing various areas of the facility. I learned to be flexible, and also, to be kind to the patients and visitors who occupied the hospital. Management was easy to get along with and displayed patience and a willingness to give accolades when I did a good job. The workplace culture required flexibility and a readiness to take on priority tasks. The hardest part of the job was being on point, and not leaving things undone. The most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork, and willingness bu my colleagues to throw in and get major tasks done in a timely manner.
Pros
Teamwork.
Cons
Sometimes the work was overwhelming.
Enjoyed working with veterans :)
Registered Nurse in the Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYOctober 19, 2018
I loved working at the VA and the pay was great as well! The veterans gave me a reason to enjoy my job because they all had a story to tell and I was always thankful for their service! I worked in the emergency dept, and we worked well together as a team! We were a small group and we would even do ambulance transfers for psych to buffalo or Syracuse! Staff from different depts even worked well together too!
Pros
12-16 hour shifts, Great pay, annual rate increase, working with the vets, benefits
Cons
Emergency dept closed, veterans can now go to civilian hospitals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K