Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Professional interesting place to work
Housekeeping Aide (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 10, 2017
The Federal Government is one of the best jobs in the world. This job can be all you want it to be, especially when it comes to planning a healthy retirement.
Pros
The people are Professionals, and take pride, in taking care of the Veterans we serve, everyday 24 hours
Cons
Could be a better place to work and grow
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Loma Linda, CA 92357December 9, 2017
Could be a better place to work and grow: People that work their butt off, taking the initiative to fill in the gaps where the need is greater, the dedicated and hard worker does not get his recognition when due, he is not appreciated, he is more so overlooked and taken advantage of. Meaning that Management is impartial to experience and background in the field. A lack of leadership. The staff that are in place do not have the experience to take the department to the next level. Not enough participation in implementing a true training turnover, conducive to new hires and constant refresher training on a regular basis.
Pros
no further comment
Cons
no further comment
Stressful being Employee and Vet
Telephone Advice Program (TAPS) Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 9, 2017
Conflict of interest at times being a veteran and an employee. Tough to decide weather to stick to the script or tell the truth. Other than that it was a great experience.
Clinical Rotation at the VA
STUDENT NURSE (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 8, 2017
I enjoyed my clinical rotation at the VA. Staff is eager to help and answer any questions. They are enthusiastic about educating patients as well as staff. The most enjoyable part of my time at the VA was working with the patients.
productive
Non Rating Team Coach (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 8, 2017
A cause that is deserving for the veterans that served these United States and the sacrifice the families made while doing so. it is a company that is well diverse and critical to the well being of our nations veterans.
Pros
serving those who served
Cons
red tape
Good
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 7, 2017
Its a good place for getting started, definitely is what you make of it,. Sometimes you'll be drained from the work load and the clients. however if you work hard you can move up
We work for the Veteran
not answered (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99503December 7, 2017
Helping Veterans is our main concern. We strive to meet the Veteran where they are. We work together to ensure we do our best for each Veteran we see.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Easy to get burned out
Serving our veterans and their families
PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MADecember 7, 2017
I feel the Department of Veterans Affairs Hospital in Bedford Massachusetts does a excellent job at serving our veterans and their family needs. We have a high priority of putting our veterans first. We have a no closed-door policy which allows veterans to get service at any department they enter.
The hardest part of the job...
Advanced Medical Support Assistant GS (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 6, 2017
The distance and the parking were the only hardest parts of the position. I enjoyed my time learning and training at the VA hospital. There were so many kind people I met and would go back if I could.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Job security
Cons
Distance
Being around and working with retired vets.
Program Supervisor/Athletic Director (Current Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MADecember 6, 2017
I find it very rewarding to work with and around Veterans and retired veterans that have served this country in one form or another. I enjoy the work.
Pros
I enjoy what I do.
Worked from Home, great co-workers, lousy management
Business Intelligence Analyst / Report Developer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 6, 2017
Working from home and excellent co-workers was definitely the best thing about the job.

Not having any clear direction or SOPs from management was the worst thing.
Pros
Worked from Home, great co-workers.
Cons
Lousy management
Job with a sense of purpose.
Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 6, 2017
I enjoyed working for the Department of Veterans Affairs as a way to give back to our nation's veterans. I looked forward to going to work everyday to serve the men and women of the Armed Forces.
Ok place to work
Veterans Educational Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 6, 2017
good for some they keep employees that should be fired It is your typical government workplace some woirk others are there not earning their keep'
Fine VA day
Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 6, 2017
You can get your job done at flexible time without supervisor looking over your shoulder. There are some slow days and busy days. If our pay matched with private sectors, it would be one of the best employer to work for. Good paid time off depending on years of service.
Pros
Work at your own pace to get your job done (no micromanagement)
Cons
Depends on department
N/a
Security Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 5, 2017
Poorly managed, no chance for career progression, educated and more professional experience than seventy-five percent of fellow employees within my service.
Terrible training Manager
Veterans Service Officer - Federal Employee (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IADecember 5, 2017
There was a lot of inconsistency in how operations are supposed to be done and there was not a concern for learning a consistent method. This job is not about helping Veterans it is only about numbers. The training manager was a terrible supervisor and would never communicate anything other than problems or things she did not like. She was supposed to be a coach but that was the least of her skills.
Pros
The co-workers were awesome
Cons
The Training Coach is horrible supervisor. She creates a terrible work environment and is a bully.
Poor Mangement
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 5, 2017
The management at the Veterans Affairs was lacking in real leadership. There were too many people getting away with things that should have been grounds for dismissal.
Pros
Health coverage, 401k
Lots of opportunities
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Tuskegee, ALDecember 5, 2017
Friendly environment and thoroughly enjoyed working with all the employees. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Always a pleasure to help today’s veterans.
Benefits
Cons
Some co-workers
Medical supply tech/Supply tech
Certified Medical Supply Tech (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 4, 2017
Hostile work environment, Prejudiced, union is all politics. If you are African American stay way from the V.A. Higher up white Manager are Nasty rude
Pros
paid hoilday
Cons
no dissablity insurance
better than most would expect.
Program Manager, Clinical Operations (Current Employee) –  San Bruno, CADecember 4, 2017
Department of Veterans Affairs is a great place to work for motivated individuals. There are available promotion opportunities for those who wish to expand their knowledge base and learn about healthcare.
Pros
benefits and flexibility
Cons
Union for physicians

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.