Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Showing all 5,376 reviews
A good place to work
IT Specialist Tier 2 Support (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 18, 2019
The environment is a great atmosphere and work load and life balance is good. The personnel at the VA are always professional and very knowledgeable on the job.
Pros
Good lunchroom and safe place to work
Cons
Working late or overtime mandatory
Horrible
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 18, 2019
Dont work at the phx vamc,

Work at the recycling company for better treatment, hours, time off and holidays !!!

The leadership sucks and has no concept of what a medical administrative professional does
Pros
The nations Flag fly's on the front of the building
Cons
Everyone at the phx vamc
Claims examiner
Veteran's Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 18, 2019
My job is processing education claims and provide benefits to Veteran's and their families. Using various database and making decision based on their military history and services. I work from home daily processing claims so that the veterans, and their children my gain a higher education. I work independently and with my team via-Skype and Whiteboard, I join mandatory weekly and monthly meetings for training all other daily business operation via Telework. The position I hold is a productivity based making numbers by processing cases, I have volunteered to work in the community providing information about benefits. Working on a time schedule is sometimes cumbersome but the job is very reward, I like helping others.
Pros
Excellent benefits, Helping and assisting when ever it is warranted
Cons
Short lunch
If you need health care- then it’s a logical choice.
Staff RN/VNGrade1 (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 18, 2019
The management NEVER stands behind the staff. They realize it’s unsafe and will continue to fill beds quickly with patients and limited staffing. They tout their experience but haven’t worked as actual provider(s) for 20 years.

The population at the DV VA is heavily riddled with addiction and mental disorders.
Buena experiencia
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guaynabo, PR 00968October 18, 2019
Buena experiencia. Se aprende a lidiar con personas con diferentes personalidades
An opportunity to assist military veterans.
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 17, 2019
The VA is and always has been a vital resource for Veterans, assisting them with much needed services, addressing physical and mental illness issues. Being a veteran myself, I understand the importance of having these services.
N/a
Staff Auditor - Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 16, 2019
Average company to work for with increased workload . You able to work remotely majority of the months. You have mandatory overtime with increased workload
great place to be employeed
Advanced Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 15, 2019
It was a very and productive workplace. It also provided a place for advancement and educational training to their employees. I really enjoyed my time working for the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Pros
graet parking
Cons
short lunch break
Okay place to work
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2019
Too much red tape to get any work done. When the work is not done you will get blamed, too many useless meetings, constant demand for status reports and they work on the oldest technology stack.

One possitive thing is work life balance.
Helping Veterans
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 14, 2019
In logistics a CWT volunteer helps in delivering mail, assembling cubicles, shipping and receiving, inventory of expendable items, and assisting as needed with supply coordinators.
Rewarding work, benefits are appealing, system is cumbersome.
Working for veterans is rewarding. The job benefits such as pay, time off, and retirement are appealing. Navigating the federal system is cumbersome and frustrating much of the time.
Great working enviroment
LPN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NC 28546October 10, 2019
At this establishment the nursing manager was very motivational. She always encouraged the staff to go further with their education and learn more duties.
Transportation Specialist WG-6 (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO 80220October 10, 2019
I would love to work again. I left for another position closer to my home and if the opportunity presented itself, I would not hesitate because they treated their employees very well and expected the best out of them.
Great job opportunities
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Coatesville, PAOctober 10, 2019
Working at the VA was like being back in the Military as far the comradery and team work skills that I experienced, great benefits and room for advancement, they also help Veterans get placed in positions faster then the Civilian work place.
Nice Environment to work
Student Nurse Technician (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXOctober 9, 2019
I really love the atmosphere of the place and how nice and friendly the staff are. The most enjoyable part of the job is to interact with the Veterans and hear their stories.
This is not a good place to work.
Prosthetics Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 9, 2019
They eat their own. I do not want to write a review. This is not a good work environment. It was stressful. People lie and the union was a joke. I do not want to write a review.
Crushing workload
Vocational Rehabilitation counselor (Former Employee) –  Portland OregonOctober 9, 2019
Management is punitive and goals are completely unreasonable maximum stress and very little reward. The administration's new rule of evaluating you every 30 days when the process takes two to eight years to manifest our result is Ludacris yet it is utilized to fire people
Nursing
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Castle Point, NYOctober 9, 2019
The VA is a disaster as far as administrators go, morale is way down because people just work there for the pay, they don’t really care absout patients in my opinion
Fast Paced and Stressful
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OH 44199October 8, 2019
As a Legal Administrative Specialist (call center representative) you can expect to be very stressed at the end of your day. It is an honor to serve fellow Veterans, but some of the situations you encounter can be quite upsetting if you are not adequately prepared for them.
Not All It's Cracked Up to Be
Legal Instrument Examiner (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 7, 2019
Managment does not have a clue and most of them want to climb up so they can afford to live comfortably. Wish I could say more but I only get so many.
Pros
Annual leave increases after 3 years so that way you can take more days off to find a better job.
Cons
Numbers, numbers, numbers! Stay glued to your seat so they can meet their God forsaken quota!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K