Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

A great experience and wonderful people
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Montrose, NYDecember 17, 2017
My day starts out with waking the vet up @ 5am, to get them ready for there day in the SATP Program. I have learned from the program and the vet what causes the vet to become addicted to drugs and alcohol and the reason for the relapse, what steps the vet should take to become abstinence . I work under the Nursing Service and the department is all about patient care. The VA is a big melting pot. My biggest challenge of my job is being able to reach out to just one vet to help him understand the importance of becoming abstinence and preparing him/or her for the community and use the tools that they have learn in the program, to get them back to there families and jobs.
The best part of my day is when one of the veteran have the completed the program and is ready to go out into the community and be apart of the community.
Pros
The learning experiences from the different programs
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Great work place
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 16, 2017
Enjoyed coming to work because I had an impact on veterans life. If all employees felt the same I believe we would not have all the negative of treatment that veterans receive.
Pros
helping veterans every day
Cons
not able to do more
I really miss working there.
CUSTODIAL WORKER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 16, 2017
I miss working with my former team members. If I were to be offered another opportunity to be rehired I would not hesitate to except any and or all positions available.
Pros
Very Professional
Cons
The job is not for the weak.
I love my job, just not my coworkers sometimes
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 15, 2017
I love working with the Veterans, but sometimes coworkers or management can make work unbearable. You have to jump through loops to get a pay raise and it seems promotions are done based on who you know and not what you know or how educated you are.
Pros
Benefits!
Cons
Management, Difficulty with lateral mobilization, Difficulty getting pay raises
program management
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 15, 2017
this was an environment that was completely toxic and I had to move on to satisfy my goals and desire to place myself in a position for growth and progression.
Pros
working with other veterans
Cons
poor manangement
Really low ceiling
VA Home Loan Guaranty Service - Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 15, 2017
Joined the VA because I thought I could help other veterans. Found out that the culture doesn't really let that happen. Senior leadership has their own ideas because they have to please the leaders down the street at the WH. So instead of developing the business practices needed to actually help veterans, you end up doing work the dumbest way possible and watching people pushing towards retirement.

Not what I really want to do, so I'm on my way out.
Pros
Great people in jobs, great pay when you make 12+
Cons
terrible management, terrible tech
Dept of va
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCDecember 14, 2017
Working at the hospital was a challenge, but rewarding as well. However, I had to relocate because it was time for me to move out of that situation. Overall, had a great experience.
Pros
paid time, discounts and military veteran benefits
Cons
pay did not match work load
Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2017
Many opportunities to advance with time. Ability to relocate as well. Nothing else to tell you. If interested look for jobs on USAjobs.Gov. Never regretted working here.
Place is a mess
Incident Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXDecember 11, 2017
The contractor tried to save money by cutting back on the work force and the VA admins let them do it until you were no longer able to support the volume and sla requirements.
Good Culture
Supervisory Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55417December 11, 2017
The VA works to take care of it's customers and employees. It strives to provide top tier health care to our nation's veterans. As an employee I have felt valued during my time at the VA.
Professional interesting place to work
Housekeeping Aide (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 10, 2017
The Federal Government is one of the best jobs in the world. This job can be all you want it to be, especially when it comes to planning a healthy retirement.
Pros
The people are Professionals, and take pride, in taking care of the Veterans we serve, everyday 24 hours
Cons
Could be a better place to work and grow
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Loma Linda, CA 92357December 9, 2017
Could be a better place to work and grow: People that work their butt off, taking the initiative to fill in the gaps where the need is greater, the dedicated and hard worker does not get his recognition when due, he is not appreciated, he is more so overlooked and taken advantage of. Meaning that Management is impartial to experience and background in the field. A lack of leadership. The staff that are in place do not have the experience to take the department to the next level. Not enough participation in implementing a true training turnover, conducive to new hires and constant refresher training on a regular basis.
Pros
no further comment
Cons
no further comment
Stressful being Employee and Vet
Telephone Advice Program (TAPS) Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 9, 2017
Conflict of interest at times being a veteran and an employee. Tough to decide weather to stick to the script or tell the truth. Other than that it was a great experience.
Clinical Rotation at the VA
STUDENT NURSE (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 8, 2017
I enjoyed my clinical rotation at the VA. Staff is eager to help and answer any questions. They are enthusiastic about educating patients as well as staff. The most enjoyable part of my time at the VA was working with the patients.
productive
Non Rating Team Coach (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 8, 2017
A cause that is deserving for the veterans that served these United States and the sacrifice the families made while doing so. it is a company that is well diverse and critical to the well being of our nations veterans.
Pros
serving those who served
Cons
red tape
Good
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 7, 2017
Its a good place for getting started, definitely is what you make of it,. Sometimes you'll be drained from the work load and the clients. however if you work hard you can move up
We work for the Veteran
not answered (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99503December 7, 2017
Helping Veterans is our main concern. We strive to meet the Veteran where they are. We work together to ensure we do our best for each Veteran we see.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Easy to get burned out
Serving our veterans and their families
PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MADecember 7, 2017
I feel the Department of Veterans Affairs Hospital in Bedford Massachusetts does a excellent job at serving our veterans and their family needs. We have a high priority of putting our veterans first. We have a no closed-door policy which allows veterans to get service at any department they enter.
The hardest part of the job...
Advanced Medical Support Assistant GS (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 6, 2017
The distance and the parking were the only hardest parts of the position. I enjoyed my time learning and training at the VA hospital. There were so many kind people I met and would go back if I could.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Job security
Cons
Distance
Being around and working with retired vets.
Program Supervisor/Athletic Director (Current Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MADecember 6, 2017
I find it very rewarding to work with and around Veterans and retired veterans that have served this country in one form or another. I enjoy the work.
Pros
I enjoy what I do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.