Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Showing all 4,703 reviews
Healthcare facility
Internship Social Worker Housing First HUD-VASH (Former Employee) –  Bay Pines, FLDecember 11, 2018
A typical work day is morning meetings with the schedule of Veterans for the day. Greeting Veterans with a positive and friendly attitude. Being concerned about the treatment they are coming in the hospital to get. Many Veterans come to the hospital demanding treatment that is not either offered or just angry in general due to their health conditions. Breaks are not given if the team doesn't have coverage. The VA is a great place to work with the benefits outweighing the negatives. The management teams need to understand that people working under them work better if they are appreciated and treated more fairly. The culture is diverse between the employees and the Veterans and their families. The hardest part is the lack of advancement even if you have experience it is overlooked and outside personnel are brought in and not necessarily Veterans either. The most enjoyable part about working with the VA is that you get to work side by side with other Veterans like myself and feel the connection with every Veteran that you come in contact with. I have meet many employee Veterans like myself which makes a bonding that most Veterans have. I enjoy helping Veterans and the fulfillment at night going home that I have made a differenced in someone else's life.
Pros
health insurance, 401K, dental and eye insurance, paid vacations, paid holidays
Cons
lack of promotions, stressful, lack of management support
Horrible place to work for
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNDecember 11, 2018
CMOP mail order pharmacy. horrible place to work. micro management and assembly line type environment. over worked and underpaid and no sick days.
military style work place
Customer Contact Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Hobart TASDecember 11, 2018
nil assistance from manager when needed, bullying and lack of acknowlegement of staff. lack of leadership and skills to work with staff. boring and repetitive work
Great work environment
Phlebotomy Technician( Internship) (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 11, 2018
Great fast pace environment with wonderful coworkers. The coworkers have a way of putting you at ease. Very clean work environment . Handles patients in a timely manner.
Fun and quiet enviroment
Intermediate Program (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 11, 2018
My time at the Department of Veterans Affairs were very productive. I interacted with the other employees. I also assisted with uploading patients claims into the system.
Jacksonville, FL
Primary Care Physician (Former Employee) –  JAX, FLDecember 11, 2018
Toxic management who view primary care doctors as expendable. You will be doing paperwork and data entry that could be done by a middle schooler, which wastes 40% of your day, but still be expected to get all the patient care done. They are hiring five more because everyone is fleeing the toxic management, unreasonable paperwork volume, lack of specialty access, enabling of abusive patient behavior, and imminent malpractice. Ask them about the two guys in the parking lots with guns they swept under the rug.
Pros
If you refuse to work outside your scheduled hours, hours are good
Cons
They expect 2-3 hours free labor a day + 8.5 hour shift
You're reeled in... only to realize you've been attacked by a SHARK!!
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 10, 2018
You'll go to Baltimore for a 6 week training course. It's a great time and the instructors are good. Sometimes you know what type of claims you'll be working (at the VARO back home) when you get to school and sometimes not. Once training is over, you work claims with a "mentor", but that person is on production also. The managers don't allow much time for them to assist you. As a claims worker, Washington DC sends down unrealistic production requirements and expectations. The VA spends all of this money to send you to school, but then uses "accountability", a word that is used as a scare tactic. If you miss making the "standards", you live in a panic wondering whether or not you'll get terminated. This is no way to function or live. The VA loses good workers daily due to the stress of this job as they try to adhere to a far reaching standard. It gives the impression that the VA only cares about numbers and not veterans.
Pros
Helping veterans
Cons
Stress, management not always helpful, no "Team" environment, Constant mandatory overtime
Great mission, difficult culture
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 10, 2018
The mission is amazing and there are many amazing hard working colleagues. But, there are layers of bureaucracy and years of mismanagement which make it difficult to stay there happily long term.
The work was relaxing and for a good cause.
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 10, 2018
A typical day at work would include housekeeping or grounds work, for example plowing snow, or cleaning and sanitizing various areas of the facility. I learned to be flexible, and also, to be kind to the patients and visitors who occupied the hospital. Management was easy to get along with and displayed patience and a willingness to give accolades when I did a good job. The workplace culture required flexibility and a readiness to take on priority tasks. The hardest part of the job was being on point, and not leaving things undone. The most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork, and willingness bu my colleagues to throw in and get major tasks done in a timely manner.
Pros
Teamwork.
Cons
Sometimes the work was overwhelming.
Holidaysburg vets home needs more help people are going out on disability no help bosses fault
Chef (Former Employee) –  Holidaysburg vets homeDecember 10, 2018
If you are strong can ignore people do your own work it would be ok no help was beth hofers my bosses fault to much lying boss running around with other men she is.married partThe holidaysburg vetetans is hard. But no help in certain ateas you earn your money here or you quit very stressful place not worth it i quit gave 110 percent hofer pushed me to disability she did nothing.no management dis just me as a cook people were liars sneaks pigs im glad im out but i lost alot of my pension because of that witch.lazy
Pros
Nice vets not workers or bosses lazy
Cons
No help

Want to know more about Department of Veterans Affairs?

Ask a question
Care of our veterans
Automotive Equipment Operator I (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 10, 2018
You cannot put a price of the need for these services for our veterans. They should be cared for in this manner with medical staff on site. It is the least that a community can do to help safeguard the lives of veterans for their service and in their infirmities.
Pros
Being a part of this culture was very fulfilling
Cons
It was hard to move forward after losing them
Growth
Program Support Clerk (GS 5-1) (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 10, 2018
In my opinion this organization needs a wake-up call. Nepotism runs like crazy here and it doesn't help anyone out. They need to better assist the veterans who desire growth and development.
Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Albans, NYDecember 10, 2018
Each day will bring a new challenge. At the department of veterans affairs you'll have to develop a insight on the veterans and also the people who care for them on a daily.
Pros
Helping our Veterans
Cons
Not enough resources
Na
Registered Nurse- Operating Room (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 9, 2018
The mission is there and those that go to work aim to meet or exceed the mission. The mission gets blurred due to the union, which is very strong there.
ok
Federal Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LADecember 9, 2018
It was a job, but the patient made it worth it. I had to leave this job for medical reasons. I would return to the because I have mastered the environment and can work and survive the chaos.
Pros
got a check
Cons
not consistant
My communication skills.
Strong communication skills (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXDecember 9, 2018
I have excellent communication skills, I have over 30+ years of Military service and have worked from the lowest skill levels to the very upper tier of expertise.
Pros
Excellet communication skills at all levels.
Cons
Not being an expert at a new career opprutunity.
Great work enviroment
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 8, 2018
Over 5 years I worked my way up through the Department of Veterans Affairs. I have volunteered and been nominated to work special assignments, with great success. I have continued to excel through additional challenges. Hardest part of my job is not being able to effectively help Veterans the way I would like to. In the last year the environment has become less than favorable. With the overhaul within the department and National leadership over the Veterans experience.
This is a great place to work
RN Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 8, 2018
I have been employed at the Cleveland VA for 10 years. It is an honor to work with veterans on a daily basis. My job is very rewarding. I started here right out nursing school and plan to retire from here.
Pros
Work
Cons
Great place to work if you're an RN, LPN, forget it
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Prescott, AZDecember 7, 2018
Love the work, the Veterans but have yet to see a raise in 10 years or more. Leadership will lie about giving a raise and the salary surveys that were suppose to have been done. Total lack of respect for the LPNs yet we are worked just as hard as the RN's. Nurse Practitioners, PA's and Police are all in the same boat. They preach respect yet give none.
Pros
The people we serve, benefits we can pay for
Cons
disrespect
Maffia setting
Veteran Transportation Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, SDDecember 6, 2018
If you are not in and you rock the boat you are out. Small VAMC like this are very hard on people. Most people are all about business and not about the Veteran.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K