Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 4,970 reviews matching the search See all 4,974 reviews
I hope my quotes wil help someone whos going threw the same process as myself
Telephone Operator-Full-time (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 18, 2019
My job is fast paced but its easy to get adaptive to . Job security is very important to me. Also moving to the next level as well. Maybe learning something new as well could be exciting to me. Challenging myself to new areas an different ideas as well.
Pros
Overtime comes around quickly
Cons
Our turnover rate isnt too good people come and go
Fulfilling Career
Pipefitter/Plumber (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 18, 2019
In the end analysis, there aren't many more honorable causes. I was charged with the maintenance and upkeep of the mechanical piping systems in an aged building. It was challenging, and my reward was success at repairing problems that disrupted patient care and staff operations. A typical day at work was spent addressing the many various mechanical difficulties which would frequently arise. I learned how to identify components of and operation of five pipe systems, while being paid steadily, if not generously.

Be grateful if you have supportive management. I didn't. I'm quite sure that workplace culture would vary widely by departments, which only infrequently interacts with one another. The hardest part of the job was obstacle adversity, both structurally embedded and artificially imposed. I'm being deliberately vague. I'm inclined to view the experience positively, despite the few negative events that happened to me personally. I would recommend the VA to anyone seeking a stable and advantageous job path which reciprocates more evenly than other choices might.

Health insurance isn't a benefit added to salary; employees are expected to purchase health insurance from their salary. Caveat emptor.
Pros
Generous time off with annual leave
Cons
Sycophancy, preferentialism, cronyism, apathy.
Productive and enjoyable work place
Decision Review Officer (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WV 25701May 17, 2019
Productive and enjoyable work place. Comfortable. Customer oriented. Overall good moral. Trying work at times but very rewarding. Eight hour days with occasional overtime.
Pros
Paid vacations
Cons
Short breaks and lunches
hard to get into but worth it
Health Science Specialist (Current Employee) –  White River Junction, VTMay 17, 2019
It's a great place to retire from! I work with many people who have been here for the majority of their career and they plan to retire from here. Rewarding work.
horrible uncaring management
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2019
For a job that is all about helping people, it's amazing how little management cares about its customers and employees (often one in the same). It's all an elaborate numbers game with the rules changing constantly. I was saddened to see how older WW2 and especially Vietnam era vets are treated.
Pros
Fed job, fed benefits.
Cons
No individual is truly valued, just another body to pump out work quickly.
Beauacracy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXMay 15, 2019
As with anything else, the Federal Government is regulated. It must follow the rules and regulations set forth by Congress, but each individual hospital has it's own set of problems and people who run their own games. The Temple hospital is no different. The higher you get up the food change the more you see. Some are worse than others, I was ousted because I ruffled the feathers of a high priestess in Nursing Service. I was given a gag order about it and allowed to retire.
Pros
Good if you don't cause waves
Cons
Don't try to blow the whistle on someone without absolute proof
fast paced envirnoment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23249May 15, 2019
enjoy my service - would not leave except spouse received orders to a new duty station with the military so no option but to leave. I would like to add that the VA I am at says they does not offer a transfer program and or LWOP for spouses.
Regulations state otherwise.
I do not think that is fair to spouses at all. We serve just as our spouses do, there should be something in place for any and all military spouses who have to pick up and move as well and start over each time our active duty spouse receives orders to move across the state, ocean, or US.
Pros
supervisor was amazing
Cons
people do not act like adults nor communicate
Robotics
Clinical Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Nueces County, TXMay 15, 2019
Forget the autonomy of being a licensed professional with autonomous treatment planning. Churn out numbers to show the freeloading management that you are being “productive”. See 10-20 patients a day or eventually be fired.
Pros
Salary is good for the geo
Cons
Just about everything else. It is like being in the military; maybe worse.
Veteran Service Rep
VETERAN SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 15, 2019
Like any job, the VA is what you make of it. If you do the work you will get your timed advances. You do your work and no one messes with you. Great benefits, after a year you can work from home and they provide everything for you that you will need.
Pros
Work from home, great raises after a time, pick your work times
Cons
have to do many trainings, some time away required for other trainings
Business environment focused yet challeging
Operational Asset Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 15, 2019
For my position

Daily tasked varied and stress elevated and fell depending on the requirements and deadlines

Management was overall effective, at times disorganized but we managed to get everything taken care off

Culture is decent and the hardest part is lack of communication and disorganization

Job was not high stress and a lot of flexibility with life work balance
Pros
Development in professional experience
Cons
At times unclear goals or objectives
This was a great company to work for the management at the time I was there were not great
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2019
I loved working with the people that I came to know and some I am still in a contract with. This job gave me experience in being a part of a team working together to meet a common goal
Pros
The people
Team working
Primary Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAMay 15, 2019
The Veterans Affairs is a nice place to work . Over the years I’ve seen a big turn around. I would like for Human Resource to work closely with all the Supervisors.
Pros
Free lunch once a month
Supportive place to work
Registered Nurse-Assistant Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 14, 2019
I truly believe in the culture of the VA. They are very supportive and aid in growth of all staff. They provide many opportunities for education and personal improvement.
enjoyed my short time there
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMay 13, 2019
I found other nurses to be supportive, opportunities for advancement and learning. The only reason that I left was that I developed cancer during my probationary period.
Pros
satisfaction in serving our military
Challenging, Stressful, Environment
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 13, 2019
I enjoyed working at the SFVAMC. It was challenging times, I worked with many great Providers, Nurses, and peer AMSA's. I was taught many valuable skills and learned how to work as a team in many of the Speciality Clinics. I valued each one of team members. I miss each and every person I worked with during my employment there. I truly enjoyed serving our veterans and being a part of each veterans care. Getting to know our veterans and bits of each ones history and accomplishments.
I realize now how much I miss working at the SFVAMC.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Stressful
Working for and support Veteran
Prosthetics Clerk (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 13, 2019
A typical consisted of interaction with veterans and ensuring their needs were met. Each veteran had unique needs and requires to be treated as an individual.

Management was firm and fair.

The hardest part of the job was ensuring that the veteran was qualified for his needed medical items as set down by the VA regulations.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the smiles and thank you for the veterans and their families.
Pros
Working for veterans
Cons
VA regualation are lenghy
Constant change
Voucher Examiner (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64128May 12, 2019
If you like constant change, no formal training, working with many departments and diverse people, explaining regulations and learning many different computer programs, you will like this job.
Not a bad place to work, but management is not friendly
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem, VAMay 12, 2019
Management is not easy to work with and does not really care about their employees. The work environment is mostly friendly and the nursing staff are great.
Briefly
Attending Physician, Sepulveda VA HBPC Program (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 12, 2019
8 hours. See patients in their homes with fellows, NPs, nurses. Act as on site medical consultant for NPs and RNs. Answer patient calls. Refill scrips. Input progress notes, orders.

Learned about providing primary care in the home.

Management has been somewhat unstable over past 2 years.

Workplace culture is completely oriented toward caring for disabled veterans.

Hardest part is working toward UCLA academic promotions while trying to manage patients as a primary care provider.

Most enjoyable is working as a team and bonding with our patients, their families and caregivers
Pros
above
Cons
above
I rate them 3 stars
Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 11, 2019
I rate them 2 stars. They are often short staffed. Un- fair hiring practices. Hostile work environment. Unfair promotion practices. Employees are overworked and disrespected.
Cons
Unfair hiring practices.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52K