Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Showing all 5,200 reviews
Complacent environment
Deputy Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Hines, ILAugust 19, 2019
Too many silos. Have to engage in politics to get things done. Navigating through the Bureaucracy can be challenging. There are no apparent decision makers.
Good relationship with team
RN SPECIALTY CARE (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 19, 2019
Some great hard working co-workers! It has been quite an eye opener working for the VA. Management is in need of great attention as turn-over is rather high across all lines.
Fast pace, rewarding, friendly atmosphere
Assistant Canteen Chief Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, TNAugust 19, 2019
This job gave me more rewards than just monetary, being able to assist patients and their families in difficult situations to somehow make things go better for them was always rewarding.

One of the downsides and the reason for leaving was everything became more businesslike and less people oriented
Great overall most employees
LPN (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 17, 2019
Good job security retirement plan hard to move up in some areas unless transfer to a new location/ unit. It takes too long to get hired in most cases several months.
Good team and support
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, VAAugust 16, 2019
Coworkers are supportive and benefits are ideal. Employee parking is free and all you need is in location, cafeteria, coffee shop and retail store, tax free.
EMS department
Housekeeper Aide (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 16, 2019
I've learned that procedures aren't being utilized correctly and supervisors don't care. They had the worst time keeping new employees onboard after 3 weeks.Lack of Communication between the Dept., Units and personnel;
Lack of professionalism inside the management section. They failed to listen to personnel complaints or concerns;
Departmental Safety Training is highly needed; Lack of job training on procedures, equipment and safety.
Great opportunity
Housekeeping Aide (Current Employee) –  Coatesville, PAAugust 16, 2019
I have nothing but great things to say about my employment as a housekeeper at the VA. My job and the respectful salary has provided me with a pretty good life for me and my family. The benefits are great, too. There aren’t too many jobs out in the private sector that pay you as well as the VA does (in this area) for the type of work that I do. I happen to work with a great team of coworkers as well as managers. The jobs at the VA are career oriented, and therefore it’s a job that has plenty opportunities for advancement.
Excellent Benefits
Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist (GS-1715) (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN 38104August 16, 2019
Excellent benefits including pay and time off. I enjoy working with the veterans and their families and helping them meet their needs. The working environment is clean and coworkers are pleasant.
Pros
Work Hours
Cons
No advancement
Poor management and no accountability
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 15, 2019
Accountability is not something that is enforced within the Department of Veterans Affairs. Low level employess are not held to their performance standards, routinely lie and file false complaints against management and are not reprimanded. This culture directly affects patient care. Management is a club of 'who you know'. Moving up within the Department of Veterans Affairs is not based on accomplishment.
Excellent
Culinary Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2019
This was an education. The instructor was superb! I'd already been cooking for years, but I learned a great deal from the Chef and I'm still applying many of the things I learned there.
Working relationship with Department of Veterans Affairs
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 15, 2019
My working for the VA was a great experience with great benefits the staff was amazing. The only complaint is the off tours do not get information passed to them in a timely manner.
Job
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 15, 2019
Enjoyed working there, worked with doctors, nurses,other staff, made appointments for patients,answered phones, faxing documents, ran travel pay,distinguished eligibility
I was a work study student at VA and what I learned allowed me to be an excellent tean player and serve other veterans. I was able to quickly adapt
Work study Student) - BUSINESS OFFICE (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10010August 15, 2019
This job gave me an opportunity to troubleshoot and lead from the front. I was able to finish my assignments and start on others to assist in finishing on time and addressing the needs of veterans in a time consuming way. I was thought at the business office to trouble shoot issues for veterans eligibility
Not Applicable
Primary Family Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Bountiful, UTAugust 14, 2019
I'm not sure that my review is terrible relevant due to the fact that I only got involved with ith due to my Dad's military service and subsequent illness.
Politics too thick.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COAugust 14, 2019
A veteran complaint is the death of employment, even when they know darn well, it is false. The best employees are weeded out. Keep your mouth shut and you will succeed.
Pros
Can't think of any.
Cons
Politics rules. More focused on gay celebration than veteran care.
Va
Transition Patient Advocate (Current Employee) –  Northport, NYAugust 14, 2019
Began my career in 1993. Working for our Nation's true heros is my honor. Daily I work with the most dedicated people who want nothing more then to provide exceptional health care to those who sacrificed so much.
Pressured work; not in Veteran best customer service assistance
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fargo, ND 58104August 14, 2019
Should be a great job to see e Amrica's Veterans...but mgt and processes were restrictive and focused on metrics--not on helping the Veterans. The mgt did not have Military experience!!!
I love what I do!
Vocational Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARAugust 13, 2019
Finding meaningful employment for Veterans!! My forever goal!!! I love being an employee at the VA. I have a passion, for helping people with mental illnesses. I always strive to let them know, they are more than just a number.
Worst place I've ever worked
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LAAugust 13, 2019
No training provided. unfair patient scheduling. unfair salary. Poor management. unprofessional environment. Unorganized environment. biased management. Worst place I've ever worked.
Voucher Examiner (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 13, 2019
working at the dept of veteran affairs, had its good and bad days. I really didn't like having to be on productivity. I desired to be in the classroom training. Training and implementing and trouble shooting is where I'[m most comfortable at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K