Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Very political ran.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 17, 2018
Human Resources is rigged. They don’t hire qualified individuals for positions. They hire whomever they want including family members. Staff who are not veterans treat the veteran patients badly.
Pros
Leave
Cons
Politically ran. Human Resources is rigged! Especially at the Dallas VA
Stable
SUPERVISORY BUDGET ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2018
Great benefits and stable work environment. I enjoy having the time to spend with my family. The VA also promotes learning. I would work here until I retired if I could.
Phlebotomist (Medical Technician) (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 16, 2018
Overall a great place to work. Change happens very slow, but if you are looking for a secure job the VA system will provide this. This allows you to focus on your work. Also, you are helping veterans which can be satisfying.
Fast paced and stressful
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZOctober 16, 2018
Great team, decent management but you are expected to complete so much and not given the resources to complete the task. You are often given the job that should be split into 2 positions. Very stressful and always fast paced. Very fast burn out rate.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay, weekends off
Cons
Stressful, fast paced, expected to do job of 2
Va Review Summary
MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 16, 2018
The DVA is a great place to work with many rewarding opportunities to give back to the Veterans who served us. While it can be stressful as a clerk taking the brunt of all complaints and attitude, I still find it rewarding. I love being able to wake up and make a difference in the lives to who gave and sacrificed for us as a nation.

The bad: Poor management: Leadership is willing to listen to issues/concerns, but do not act upon it to help and move forward with progression in those complaints/issues. Understaffed: Working short hours to get a ton of things done on top of clerical duties, with nobody being hired to help share the load and become a team instead of us just becoming individuals and becoming the I in team.

Overall, My experience as a Vet working for the VA has been rewarding and a growing/learning experience shifting from Active duty to civilian lifestyle. Just the bad outweighs the good here unfortunately.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Poor Management / Lack of Progress with changes
poor management but a great place to work with co-workers and benefits
Imaging Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marion, VAOctober 16, 2018
management was poor and expected you to do more than your job title. Asked to do things that were immoral and lie about concrete numbers. Job was very fulfilling and co-worker team was great. Management expected more than was reasonable in an 8 hour day. On-call 24/7 with no back up.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management
Wow
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 15, 2018
Pay was low i felt over used for stiff that was not protatining to me bit people whwere htere to help in time of need i ;ove to hate this place it great to be there but i was not enough pay
Great place for veterans to work
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLOctober 15, 2018
A typical day at work was sometimes slow, other times very busy worked with leadership, weekly meetings, clinic scheduling, and offer support to providers.
Pros
Comrade, work with variety of people
Cons
poor management, lack of accountability
Veterans Health Administration
Audio Visual Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2018
I do not intend to ever work for that organization ever again. The micro-management and multiple meetings per day hindered my work progress. The senior management were more concerned with their own public appearance than to actually help Veterans.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Culture, mamagement
Not enough work to do, would find things to do to keep busy
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAOctober 14, 2018
I love serving the Veteran's, however my position as a Medical Support Assistant was not very demanding and I am not challenged enough. Would prefer a career where I am constantly learning and kept busy.
Detailed originated
Program Support Assistant- CPAC (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNOctober 13, 2018
Must pay close attention to details . Veterans depend on the hard working veterans to ensure the accuracy of their medical accounts. Veterans have given so much to so many.
Awesome people trying to do the best for veterans
LPN/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OHOctober 13, 2018
It is unfortunate that the media portrays the VA in such a negative way by only reporting part of the story or what may seem bad, just to get ratings. What the VA does well is care for the veteran culture group better than anyone else will ever be able to do.
summary
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 13, 2018
horrible work environment very transactional leadership best part of job working with the veterans needs overhaul very punitive environment this is the entire organization.
Pros
Cons
lack of leadership
OK to work here
Veteran's Affairs, Office of General Counsel (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 12, 2018
This is an ok place to work. You have to be kind of agile and able to deal with change. This agency is a pawn of politicians at all times, so things are frequently chaotic.
Learning and useful.
Housekeeper Aide (Former Employee) –  Loma Linda, CAOctober 12, 2018
Very a Good Place to work, meet new friends. Most of learning more of Life /History. But this is the place I have worked. So far I like it. Sometime hardest part of the job, is driving to work where live I traveled 800 miles round and then when road is closed, I would have to travel a different route to go to it takes a 1/2 - 1 hour longer both work and home. I wish that VA had a Van or Bus transportation service for the workers who live this distance from work. We would be tired, stressed, from traffic going both work/home.
productive and satisfying workplace
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 11, 2018
productive and satisfying workplace with a lack of support from management. Friendly staff to work with and a great place to take care of our veterans
Pros
Get to take care of our veterans that serve our country
Cons
poor management and not competitive salary
My job w/ the VA.
CONTRACT WORKER RDA CHAIR-SIDE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2018
I was hired as a contract work. The Dept of Veteran Affair dissolved my position, or I was told that they no longer wanted as many Dental Assistants in the Dept., so I was let go.
Pros
I was paid well.
Cons
I didn't like my co-worker.
Competive/professional workplace
Police captain (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 11, 2018
Great working environment working with all sort of people. Our mission in the service was to provide our veterans with a safe and peaceful atmosphere. Great place to work. I retired..
Pros
Career advantage
Cons
Worked weekends on a steady basis
A day at the VA
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 11, 2018
A typical day at work is managing the environment between the providers and patients. I have learned that most of the management lack personal skills when it comes to team building and individual assessments. There seems to be a high impact of favoritism between employees. The hardest part of the job is dealing and handling patient care especially when they become disruptive. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
toxic work environment
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 11, 2018
constant shortstaffing
toxic environment
lies start in interview
unfulfilled promises
retaliatory managerial behavior without conscience from top down
Pros
money isn't everything; it's not worth it
Cons
if you have a conscience you won't survive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K