Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Think twice before you accept...
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 18, 2018
Facility strictly shows favoritism no matter what the situation maybe. Advancement is out the question. Work environment is extremely stressful and hostile . HUman resource is not a resource at all. There's no structured environment .
Benefits
Cons
Nursing services management is the worst hospital wide
great to be amongst veterans
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAJuly 18, 2018
The pay isn't that great. My commute is pretty extensive. Other co workers don't like doing their job. The HR department isn't useful. I would like to get a bonus instead of the superiors getting them all the time.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
can get overwhelming at times and the pay doesnt accomodate for it.
Chief, Viluntary Service (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 18, 2018
The VA was more than a job. I had the honor to serve Veterans. I learned managerial skills, interviewing skills; served on many committees to interview the Chief of /Staff and Associate Medical Director; served on Joint Commission Committees; served on Hurricane Katrina committee whereby I provided daily transportation for Veterans and their families while at the Jackson VA; was responsible for training of volunteers and employees on Privacy, Ethics, patient care and other assignments given by the director. Organized special events for the entire medical center, such as Veterans Day Parades, National Salute programs and annual Christmas Tree
Pros
Serving veterans
Cons
Productive work for military and vets
Associate Assistant to the Secretary (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 18, 2018
Because of the relative new department under staffing was an issue straining the work load on the few that was there. Contract workers were not asked back after the elections. Enjoyed working with the Secretary, Office of the Governor to organize better policies for veterans, service members and families. Truly an honor to serve.
Pros
Working with a great team, working with veterans, work culture
Cons
poor staffing priorities
OEF/OIF Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 18, 2018
Many people have been there too long and set in their ways. Friendships over ride qualifications. I loved my job and working with Veterans, most difficult part was management.
Pros
Working with Veterans
Cons
managment needs to change
Toxic
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (FEDERAL) (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 18, 2018
I did not enjoy my time at this agency. The work environment and coworkers were very toxic. Morale is very low and there is very little opprotunity to move forward.
very unorganized, poor management
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCJuly 17, 2018
I worked at the Veteran Home for 7 months, the employees was very friendly.. the management is HORRIBLE.. it’s your word against everyone, don’t care about the employees especially cna’s.
Pros
Working with the veterans
Cons
Nice place to work takes a long time for a position to open
Intern (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 17, 2018
I am interning here in a finance department. Coworkers are really helpful and great at training. Flexible on work hours and telecommuting is an option once your full time. The bad part is it can take months for a position to open up and the application process is long and tedious
Healthcare for Homeless Veterans Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 17, 2018
Each day something was learned to assist veterans on a daily basis. This was informative and refreshing from not dealing with the same problem for each veteran.
Gratifying Work Helping Veterans
Pharmacy Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 17, 2018
I enjoyed my job at the VA, since I was constantly helping Veterans with their questions, and helping them get what medications they needed. Interacting with them occasionally was really good, being a Veteran myself.
Pros
Time Off and Holidays
Cons
Some Management was difficult but not that bad
Very productive and kept busy with work
Motor Vehicle Operator (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAJuly 17, 2018
Work all day from driving vehicles and maintenance various vehicles. I learned to operate various vehicles from 9 to 44 passengers buses. Everyone worked in harmony and respectful.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Limited promotion
communication
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJuly 17, 2018
Lack of communication between departments. Bureaucratic environment makes tasks incredibly hard to get accomplished in a timely manner. Issues that are brought up are not addressed fully.
Best job I've had
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 17, 2018
I miss the stability in working for the government felt like. especially that division, helping a cause that meant a lot to the well being of people period.
Pros
People/Staff members, benefits
nice place to work and help our veterans
Patient Experienced Liaison (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH 44106July 16, 2018
good retirement if you plan on staying for a while. some vets can be a hand full but its the challenge we have to face and to overcome daily. so with that being said its a great place to work.
Pros
good retirement
Cons
management needs work
Stressful environment
Voucher Examiner (Former Employee) –  Hines, ILJuly 16, 2018
- Dealing with angry veterans and explaining to them what are their benefits about the department.
- Supervision is minimal, we have to figure out everything as we go on.
Pros
Helping Veterans about their medical bills
Cons
Dealing with angry veterans
Miserable place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJuly 16, 2018
Terrible middle and senior management. Uptight nurses and managers engaging in childish bullying behavior which drives out great nurses and leaves incompetence in their place. There are certainly great staff at the VA caring for our nations veterans, but it was not my experience. If you are an RN, lay low and try not to say anything to anyone for 2 years.
Benefits
Cons
bullying
Phoenix VA
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2018
Good opportunity to earn your LCSW. Sadly advancement is given to those that do not go against the grain. They do not have fair advancement practices and move "young" unqualified people into management positions without offering to interview others. You can advance if you are well liked, has nothing to do if you are qualified.
Pros
Great peers
Cons
Management is corrupt
Workplace culture
Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NC 28144July 15, 2018
Nothing much to say about this organization. it would take too long. It would not be fair to my fellow Veterans to talk bad about this organization. Hope things will change for them
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
A two year probation period is crazy.
Challenging and rewardin
Strategic Planner (Current Employee) –  VA Loma LindaJuly 15, 2018
Honored to serve those that served in each of the branches of the Department of Defense and seeing how each Veteran worked through their service and what specific issue they now life with as a result of service connected health issues.
Pros
Learning new skills in dealing with Veteran Issues
Cons
Can be emotionally challenging
You decide
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 14, 2018
Disabled veterans are criticized for medical appt, and have to sign up for fmla even though the appt is a VA facility, and have 3 times of appt then a healthy person. Sr management is more concerned about numbers then quality of services. Changes to software and operating systems are constant, and causes slower operating speeds and work stoppage. New systems does not live up to what was promised to us, which was a waste of money. When we talk about employees can't do their job, it's really about not enough training. Take surveys and have meetings on what to do to improve, and nothing is ever done. Average handle times have never been recalculated for 7 years, even though master agreement state that any changes have to do a new study and update the evaluation process. The evaluation for performance and average handle time is on different matrix. Sr management don't want to do the required work to terminate someone and crates new policies in stead.
Pros
It's working for the government
Cons
High turn over rate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K