CenturyLink Employee Reviews

It is micro monitoring company
Engineer (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 20, 2018
Century link is a Micro monitoring company, Hence i survived 3.5 yrs on the same organization.
I learned may Technologies and real time issue,
we have communicate with our global customers and work accordingly
we managing customer servers and provide 24*7 customer services
Pros
Nill
good
Good job for the area but not much security.
OPERATIONS TECH III (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 20, 2018
Centurylink seems to be in a constant state of flux with buying and attempting to integrate work cultures often before reaching stability from the last purchase.

I took early retirement and would have been happy to stay except for the constant worry that my job may not be there when I arrived.
Pros
Good benefits, pay mostly in line with position for this area.
Cons
Constantly changing job definitions with not much security that the job was going to last.
Committed workforce working toward common goals while assisting each other.
Service Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 20, 2018
Typical day at work was in a cooperative environment among the Service Assurance group. Provides Tier 1 support for design service group central office and outside technicians and Local Network Organization.Monitor, survey, and analyze inter office facilities.
Perform remote testing, isolation and restoration of DS1 and above services including SONET, DWDM and COSP Technologies using various software applications.
Interact with the GEMC, CO techs, field techs, FAA, and NMA database group.
We worked with a common goal of addressing the alarms in a timely manner. To ensure accurate and quality of reporting we also worked together as a team. Each member had something to offer and was willing to assist others an help them learn, and understand processes. I learned that collaboration within a team and working together toward a common goal is always best. The culture in our work place was very diverse and people respected each other. The manger we helpful when needed but we did most our work independent of their direction. I enjoyed the fast pace, environment and the collaboration of our team. There is so much knowledge and willingness in my work group to share that, made it one of the best jobs I had in the 29 years with the company
Pros
Benefits, health, dental, vision, vacation
Cons
moving job to another state
Difficult work environment- no work life balance. One acquisition after another has led to multiple systems, different leadership styles, & more.
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 19, 2018
Years of acquisitions and changes have led to a chaotic work environment and a business that still has much work to get things right. I had 9 years with the company working both in HR and on the Labor side. Centurylink acquired Qwest and the transition was difficult. Two years post acquisition I made the decision to leave the company and moved to Level 3. One year after being at Level 3 - it was announced that Centurylink would acquire Level 3. I took a package as I had no desire to return to Centurylink.
Pros
Pay and Benefits good
Cons
Stressful work environment - constant change - no work life balance
Awesome place to work in the IT / telecommunications field
IT Operations Technician II (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALApril 19, 2018
CenturyLink is a great place to work. The people are some of the best that I have ever worked with. It really feels like a family. The only downside is the lack of job security from the recent changes in company focus from telecommunications to cloud services. With the acquisition of Qwest, the company started going down hill and they have steadily been laying off people from the Local telephone section of the company.
Pros
The people are the best to work with, everyone feels like family
Cons
lack of job security
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COApril 19, 2018
CencuryLink is a great place to work.The work environment is lovely and the encouraging.

Team works together to provide a better customer experience.
Antiquated systems held back successful delivery of projects(Level3)
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  LondonApril 19, 2018
Antiquated systems held back successful delivery of projects. There was a constant fight to get delivery/provisioning systems updated to support delivery and launch of new systems.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Overall Good Experience
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bengaluru, KarnatakaApril 19, 2018
Overall Good Experience with centurylink will get learning scope and we can upgrade skills. Work life balance.Good Benefits. Job security, Management is good. Job culture is fine.
Too Big and Slow
System Engineer (Windows/Unix/ESX) (Current Employee) –  MissouriApril 18, 2018
The company is too large and full of bureaucratic red tape when it comes to trying to make process changes for the better, and everything is metrics driven. Leadership is full of cowards as they receive backlash from senior leadership for enacting corrective action against lazy or poorly performing subordinates, which leads to teams full of un-productive staff and low moral for those that actually do work.

The roles are consolidated for cost savings, making one team responsible for the tasks of many.

The lack of automation in the work environment is also dismal, leading to many paid employees performing repetitive or mindless tasks like a digital assembly line.

Advancement within the company is strictly for exposure to more technologies and experience, as compensation is inadequate when moving to more senior positions. Compensation adjustments are not made based on market value of the position, but based on percentages from your original hiring salary.
Pros
Benefits are fair, fast paced environment leads to rapid experience gains
Cons
Majority of experience revolves around memorizing company-specific processes
Only constant is constant change
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 18, 2018
CenturyLink is a great company to get in the door with and has many opportunities for lateral movement and career development that would lead to great resume builders. They compensate fairly - in my experience- and have better than average benefits with not excellent, but fair or just above fair pay. However, after undergoing their recent merge the culture is taking a drastic shift and the secondary company has taken almost entire managerial control. The culture and job security for all is shaky at best. This is the 3rd merge in eight years, and the company does annual layoffs.
Pros
Better than average benefits
Cons
Annual layoffs, poor job security, managerial chaos
Okay Day
Business Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Apopka, FLApril 18, 2018
It's a great place, but hard to advance and supervisor is wishy washy he's super phony and is the devil to your face, but when he's around upper management he acts like an angel
Workout at work
Network Planning Associate (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COApril 17, 2018
It's all about numbers, you have to be perfect. Management only cares about themselves and they don't take the time to encourage you and reward there people with a simple thank you. It is really laid back. Hardest part of the job is covering up for others when they don't give you the correct information and you are expected to figure out what you need. Stressful because we have to wear a lot of different hats and it is hard when your manager don't fight for you. It is enjoyable when we do office activities.
Cons
Health insurance; WFH
Very fulfilling internship
Network Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 17, 2018
This was a 10 week internship focused on creating network maps. I learned alot about the telecom business and would recommend it to anyone interested. I interned in a beautiful technology center full of amenities and received great compensation.
Pros
Great workspace, amazing cafeteria, high pay
Cons
required intern project
The pay is terrible
Customer Care Manager (CCM) (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, COApril 17, 2018
No processes. Horrible high level overview training. More questions than answers on how to do your job so you can efficiently and effectively help the customers. My personal Manager is the best, but hands are tied to make improvements.
Pros
I have a great Manager.
Cons
No breaks too much work to get completed, and pay is not industry standard.
The people are good to work with
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 17, 2018
I was a contractor for 18 mo . Company is hard to get a permanent position due to most employees have been there for several years. The supervisors are good and try to make working there comfortable.
Cool Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 16, 2018
Work environment is ok, cubicle/pod life to the max. There are days that calls are never ending and then days were it is kind of relaxed and low-key. Managers or Supervisors are awesome to work with, always available for feedback or talks if you have concerns or questions.
Pros
Benefits, Supervisors
Cons
pod life, fixed rotating schedules
company out look
Broadband Technician (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNApril 16, 2018
The company is gear more towards rewarding their investor instead of there customers and their technician. Management are constantly putting out changes which seem to constantly increase work load on the technician.
Pros
decent wage
Cons
employees not well inform
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Outbound Small Business Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 15, 2018
Sales driven team with high level of energy and competitive nature. Flexible work shifts,insurance benefits with 401 K options. Great Place to work long term.
Pros
Contest
Cons
traffic
Collaborative enviroment
West Region Planner, Contractor (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COApril 15, 2018
people were always willing to help eachother, challenging job, got to work on multiple platforms. i was a contractor and was hoping to become an employee.
Pros
good learning environment
Cons
CenturyLink prefers to extend contracts rather than bring you on full time.
Great
Buyer II (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COApril 15, 2018
Great place to work. I have worked there twice as employee and once as contractor. Other than regular layoffs they are great. Very supportive of employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CenturyLink. Our community is ready to answer.