Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Relaxed, simple job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIMay 6, 2018
The job itself is quite simple and easy to do. Management is very good about taking care of each employees needs, very helpful. It is a relaxed environment to work in.
Intellectually stimulating and friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAApril 30, 2018
Barnes and Noble gave me a close family of coworkers while I was there. The hardest part of the job basically happens around the holidays when it's busiest, but that also happens to be the most exciting time there.
Every day was productive and fun to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2018
I liked the work environment and how they always had something to do. Game days were the busiest and the managers were very understandable about having class time and study time before coming into work.
Pros
Starbucks in the store
Cons
Not enough pay
management and workplace culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAApril 12, 2018
Over the past several years I have seen a shift in the culture of Barnes & Noble. They care about the bottom line but don't really seem to care about the employees or customers. It is stressful trying to maintain a standard when the management doesn't give us the tools to succeed.
good job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 10, 2018
I enjoyed working here and wish it could have been a longer job. I liked working in the positive environment and atmosphere. the managers were nice and helpful. this job was only temporary and easy to do. the schedule was flexible to our class schedule.
Pros
friendly, cares about employees
Cons
temporary
Please don't
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 25, 2018
As with all customer service jobs, the people are terrible and unreliable at Barnes and Noble. Always have to pick up slack of other people and it is exhausting
unorganized and not professional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYFebruary 20, 2018
overall a disappointing experience. there are two managers that are never organized and don't value employees. one of them is very lazy and very rude to many employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 10, 2018
I transferred from one store to another and spent the bulk of my time at the second location. Because the store was small it was a very hands on experience. I learned that it was publishers were those responsible for the prices of books and I took more pride in how our store did to meet our goal. It was a great experience.
Flexible and relaxed environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Troy, ALFebruary 6, 2018
Perfect job for my college lifestyle. Very flexible with classes and breaks and theatre rehearsals. I would highly recommend this job to any other college students looking for work.
Great, especially if you're an avid reader
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 30, 2018
I really enjoyed the work pace here. I enjoyed not having a uniform too. Having to push a paid membership was difficult since most companies now offer free memberships.
Nice environment and camaraderie.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Union, NJJanuary 27, 2018
The environment its nice to work and there is also camaraderie among the staff and management. An opportunity to have a part-time job and walk to the classes (my case).
Pros
Convenience (my case) to work and walk to my classes (avoid long driving).
Cons
Not an oriented career job. I need a job in my field of studies.
book store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJanuary 17, 2018
working with college students helping them find text books for their classes. pretty laid back and chill job for a college student. hardest part of the job was not being a steady full time
Good Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJanuary 10, 2018
Calm work environment. Management's chill for the most part you just do your job duties and clock out. Nothing too stressful. Usually your customer are students
Alright job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oak Park, KSJanuary 5, 2018
It's a great place to work if you can get the hours, but that's not usually the case. Not a good job if you need to pay bills, but great for a little extra cash.
Comfortable and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CADecember 12, 2017
Great part time job with lots of available shifts.
Customers are generally not in too much of a hurry, there for are less cranky. Café discount keeps you alive and broke.
Can you say fresh baked cookies?!
slow paced, but great people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Celina, OHDecember 10, 2017
the college campus bookstore I worked at was very small, the day seemed to drag on, wasn't much for me to do, the people I worked with were fantastic, always got the days I asked for off
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
slow paced
loved it
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NY 10475December 8, 2017
working there was pretty nice. I helped people find the books that they where looking for. I gotten better with my communication skills. everyone was pretty nice. There was really nothing hard. The job was pretty simple. My most enjoyable part was helping people find the books.
Wonderful place to work part- time!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhasset, NYDecember 8, 2017
If you are in college and need some extra pay this is a great place to build basic work skills before graduation. The staff consists of an amazing group of individuals that are diverse and talented. Management is excellent and always available to answer questions regarding work schedules or the overall work environment in general.
Pros
employee discounts, flexible hours
low pay great managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cocoa, FLNovember 30, 2017
I started this job my second year at BCC as a work study and eventually signed on to be employed longer. My manager was great I just needed more pay and I was switching my field of study to healthcare
This was boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richland, WANovember 22, 2017
This job was not fast-paced enough to keep my attention. It was peaceful and quiet, but there was no competition and there was no incentive to succeed, as I recall.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K