Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Found 149 reviews matching the search See all 3,965 reviews
Employees were fun to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, floridaOctober 28, 2018
Loved customer service. Helping customers find or order the right book. Enjoyed working there, supervisor nice and helpful. Enjoyed the employees discounts.
Pros
Discounts, helping customers
Cons
My back issues were hindering standing and carrying books
Really nice place to work
Ann Arbor - Barista/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 23, 2018
The management and other employees are really great to work with. They are willing to work with your schedule, and the company provides a lot of great benefits, even to part time employees.
Pros
works well with scheduling, positive atmosphere
Cons
short breaks, the pay isn't amazing
close nit group of coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 28, 2018
I only worked part time. but the people i worked with were great. The work was pleasant, and the managers were always helpful. Great job for a college or high school student who like to read.
Decent Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJSeptember 24, 2018
Not a horrific retail experience, and the atmosphere is generally calm. Long hours standing and re-shelving, and frequent short breaks. The discount is sufficient for those who enjoy purchasing books frequently.
Love my coworkers!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKSeptember 20, 2018
Barnes and Noble in Norman is an amazing place to work! The employees that work there are some of the nicest people that I've met. They are all very open to new people and loved training me. My experience there is one I will never forget. Also, the management is awesome!
Pros
management, employees, full time benefits
Cons
corporate is trash
good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 11, 2018
good place to work lots of work to do but your surroundings make it better the employees are great the customers are customers so what can ya say but good place
Don't do it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 10, 2018
The company is on its way out. I give it 2 more years tops before they file for bankrupcy. They are constantly operating on a skeleton crew, there are not enough people to help all the customers, do the projects and keep product on the shelves. Not to mention dumb corporate policies being handed down every month that only makes things harder.
I liked working for this company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTSeptember 10, 2018
I was hired on a part time basis when the store first opened. I would have liked to have been hired on a permanent basis but management decided otherwise. I heard later on that the store closed shortly thereafter.
Pros
great people, interesting work
Cons
I wasn't able to find a perminent place there
A perfectly fine place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CASeptember 4, 2018
Not somewhere I would want to work forever, but it's a fine part time job. The people are nice and working around books is fun. They were fairly flexible with hours.
Educational work experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCAugust 5, 2018
Enjoyed stocking, selling and working with customers regarding their book needs. Worked as a Cashier for the most part but helped all around book store.
Pros
Able to spend the day around books
Cons
Short staffed during busy times
Fast work place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 29, 2018
Barns and noble is a very good and fun job. You get to meet alot of new people. Some nice some mean but the experience is something ilI will never forget.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes, Awsome people, new experiences.
Cons
Mean people
Quiet workplace with books
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 20, 2018
Overall, working at Barnes and Noble isn't bad, I just isn't for me. I realized that I am better at working in small companies rather thank big ones. Although, you get pretty nice discounts, Including 10% everything and 30% in the cafe.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Stressful for antisocial people
Books, Books, Books
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 9, 2018
Activity ranges from deserted to slammed. Always plenty to do on the sales floor. Employees and management are friendly. discounted products and employee appreciation are great.
Poor
Holiday Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 7, 2018
Did not enjoy working here. The mission was loosely followed and the turnover rate is ridiculous due to unruly supervisors. Will not return back to this and wouldn't recommend it.
Enjoyable experience but lacking strong management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Millbury, MAMay 30, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at Barnes and Noble. I had the opportunity to hold various roles such as cashiering and customer service. If I were to go in for the first shift, there would be a short meeting about the upcoming day, and there would be a closing meeting if I were to work the closing shift. The management at the time was unstable and there was much miscommunication from some managers and a lack of encouragement/support which made it become an environment that grew to be less enjoyable. The coworkers were great to be around and since I worked with typically older coworkers, they were able to provide much guidance and support when managers were lacking. The hardest part of the job was the pressure put on employees to succeed at particular tasks, and the most enjoyable part was building relationships and trust with customers which strengthened my communication skills immensely.
Pros
Employee discounts, flexible hours
Cons
Inconsistent mamangement
Productive and fun workplace with caring and loyal employees and customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 25, 2018
While working at Barnes & Noble I have been able to further my knowledge by becoming acquainted with diverse subjects in order to recommend a wide variety of books to our customers. I have been able to further my sales experience by meeting the daily goals of membership conversion and email sign ups. I look forward to going into work.
Relaxed, simple job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIMay 6, 2018
The job itself is quite simple and easy to do. Management is very good about taking care of each employees needs, very helpful. It is a relaxed environment to work in.
Intellectually stimulating and friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAApril 30, 2018
Barnes and Noble gave me a close family of coworkers while I was there. The hardest part of the job basically happens around the holidays when it's busiest, but that also happens to be the most exciting time there.
Every day was productive and fun to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2018
I liked the work environment and how they always had something to do. Game days were the busiest and the managers were very understandable about having class time and study time before coming into work.
Pros
Starbucks in the store
Cons
Not enough pay
management and workplace culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAApril 12, 2018
Over the past several years I have seen a shift in the culture of Barnes & Noble. They care about the bottom line but don't really seem to care about the employees or customers. It is stressful trying to maintain a standard when the management doesn't give us the tools to succeed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K