Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 10, 2018
I transferred from one store to another and spent the bulk of my time at the second location. Because the store was small it was a very hands on experience. I learned that it was publishers were those responsible for the prices of books and I took more pride in how our store did to meet our goal. It was a great experience.
Flexible and relaxed environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Troy, ALFebruary 6, 2018
Perfect job for my college lifestyle. Very flexible with classes and breaks and theatre rehearsals. I would highly recommend this job to any other college students looking for work.
Great, especially if you're an avid reader
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 30, 2018
I really enjoyed the work pace here. I enjoyed not having a uniform too. Having to push a paid membership was difficult since most companies now offer free memberships.
Nice environment and camaraderie.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Union, NJJanuary 27, 2018
The environment its nice to work and there is also camaraderie among the staff and management. An opportunity to have a part-time job and walk to the classes (my case).
Pros
Convenience (my case) to work and walk to my classes (avoid long driving).
Cons
Not an oriented career job. I need a job in my field of studies.
Good Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJanuary 10, 2018
Calm work environment. Management's chill for the most part you just do your job duties and clock out. Nothing too stressful. Usually your customer are students
Alright job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oak Park, KSJanuary 5, 2018
It's a great place to work if you can get the hours, but that's not usually the case. Not a good job if you need to pay bills, but great for a little extra cash.
Comfortable and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CADecember 12, 2017
Great part time job with lots of available shifts.
Customers are generally not in too much of a hurry, there for are less cranky. Café discount keeps you alive and broke.
Can you say fresh baked cookies?!
slow paced, but great people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Celina, OHDecember 10, 2017
the college campus bookstore I worked at was very small, the day seemed to drag on, wasn't much for me to do, the people I worked with were fantastic, always got the days I asked for off
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
slow paced
loved it
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NY 10475December 8, 2017
working there was pretty nice. I helped people find the books that they where looking for. I gotten better with my communication skills. everyone was pretty nice. There was really nothing hard. The job was pretty simple. My most enjoyable part was helping people find the books.
Wonderful place to work part- time!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhasset, NYDecember 8, 2017
If you are in college and need some extra pay this is a great place to build basic work skills before graduation. The staff consists of an amazing group of individuals that are diverse and talented. Management is excellent and always available to answer questions regarding work schedules or the overall work environment in general.
Pros
employee discounts, flexible hours
low pay great managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cocoa, FLNovember 30, 2017
I started this job my second year at BCC as a work study and eventually signed on to be employed longer. My manager was great I just needed more pay and I was switching my field of study to healthcare
This was boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richland, WANovember 22, 2017
This job was not fast-paced enough to keep my attention. It was peaceful and quiet, but there was no competition and there was no incentive to succeed, as I recall.
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2017
very good work environment
i learned how to work with a team instead of trying to get everything done myself the most enjoyable part about my job was clocking out and my check
Pros
being around my coworkers
Cons
short breaks
Fun workplace and great atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CASeptember 25, 2017
Usually pretty easy going shifts and easy work. Management places a big emphasis on customer service and personal selling. In addition, over the last couple of months there has a big shift in combining the two sides (restaurant and selling floor) into one.
Pros
Discounts on books and food from the restaurant
Cons
Not given much hours
Management problems
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 9, 2017
Managers did not do the kind of work expected of them, and instead left it to the other associates most of the time. Whenever big events came up, the store manager would buy only a handful of the employees food/beverages, and not the whole of the store. Seriously showed favoritism in this way, which is not a good thing for any company.
A nice place to work if you love books
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 31, 2017
A typical day was either helping out at customer service or register. You learn how to sell and work in a team there. Management was overall good, they usually helped fix problems. It was a nice culture, there was no drama or fighting really in the store. It was very relaxed and enjoyable while working there. I hardly felt stressed. The hardest part was probably selling memberships because of the high cost, but I did enjoy my associates and the feel of the place.
Pros
Nice discount, understanding managers
Productive Place To Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYAugust 31, 2017
The work was good and i liked it when i was working here.Very fast paced and good if you need a job.The place is productive and nice environment to work in.
Fun place to be
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grove, PAAugust 29, 2017
Loved the atmosphere of working in a team. Meet some great people, was able to keep up with the fast pace. Friendly atmosphere, if you needed help there was always some one there for support or help.
Pros
great atmosphere, great co-workers
Cons
less hours than I wanted
Kinda boring
BARISTA AND SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 24, 2017
it's been a really long time since I've worked here. All I really remember was that you had to bake some of the food and it was never really busy. It was really relaxed.
Pros
Discounts on school books
Cons
No free anyting
Fun and exciting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 21, 2017
For lovers of literature, it is an exciting and fun place to work. The more you read, the more you know, the more interesting interactions you have with customers.
The managers actively care about employees, and are willing to take you under their wing and teach you.
Pros
Exposure to all things literature
Cons
Retail has has variable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K