Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Comfortable working conditions, great people
customer service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 13, 2018
Nice place to work, good people to work with. Generally the shifts are fun because of the co-workers. The work is not terribly difficult or physical. If you like retail work, I think this is one of the better places to be.
Pros
book borrowing program, fair discount on products
Cons
very few full time positions no benefits
Nice first temp job
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  CCBC EssexOctober 10, 2018
Scheduling is very flexible. You’re meeting new people everyday. After the main event there weren’t many hours given. Management was fair. Not many tasks on a slow day.
Pros
Discount on books & clothing
Cons
Little to no hours after the beginning of the season, short breaks
Retail with all that that implies
customer service (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 6, 2018
The public is exceedingly demanding! The company micro-manages too much. The stores have zero autonomy. Wages are low. Benefits are practically non-existent.
poor
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 28, 2018
Shot themselves in the foot. After they stopped being book focused and spread out into tangential areas, they completely lost the objectives of why they were a book store.
I loved he work but hated the “lack of” pay
Customer Service Representative/head cashier (Former Employee) –  Dothan alabamaSeptember 17, 2018
Working at Barnes and noble was a wonderful experience. My management team and co workers were like family. I would recommend Barnes and noble to anyone seeking employment.
Pros
Discounts, work environment, overall ambiance
Cons
Low pay
Good part-time job for students with decent workload
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXSeptember 17, 2018
I enjoyed working in the MSC Barnes & Noble. It was a great location and since I didn't have a car I was able to take the bus to campus and walk over. The people were cool, I got an employee discount, and most of the time the foot traffic was manageable. The only downside was the requirement to work on gamedays, though we were given the option to work only before and after football games, not during the entire game. All in all, a decent campus job and steady money for students.
Pros
Location, employee discount, business casual attire, easy work, young environment
Cons
Working game days.
Great
Cafe Barista, Customer Service/Book Floor (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 17, 2018
It is work. Work is fun. Stuff is run by corporate. Corporate loves you. Sales and working. Organizing and working. Stuff gets done. I love my job and they wont give me full time.
Pros
colorful product
Cons
colorful product
Wonderful
Bookseller & Customer Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Westchester County, NYAugust 31, 2018
Good managers, good coworkers, good to work with the public. Good experience, happy environment. Very supportive. Happy to have the opportunity. Thank ypu
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
Fun and a good place to work to learn up and coming book titles
customer service by answering phones (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2018
During an opening shift I would stock the books before customers arrived, retrieve online hold orders, and clown the store. Throughout the day I would answer phone calls, help at register, assist customers in locating particular items, keep the store organized, set up tables and sections for book promotions, and reorganize the layout of the sections in the store. During closing I would put items back in their places and make sure the shelves were organized. This work place trained my in different locations in the store so I would be able to help in every area. This helps me gain experience at register, how to answer and assist customers over the phone, organize, and see new books/movies/music coming out that I would not had heard of otherwise. The most difficult part was learning how to juggle helping customers on the floor and on the phone at similar times.
Pros
Learning every section helped me feel a part of the entire store, my co-workers and managers were also helpful and nice to work with.
Cons
At times there seemed to be a lot going on, such was customers on the floor, the phone ringing, and trying to keep the floor organized.
Supportive Management
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 20, 2018
A great company with strong, encouraging management. I have worked in almost all departments in Barnes and I have had nothing but positive experiences.
Pros
clean, friendly and knowledgable employees
Cons
books aren't as popular as they used to be
Great work environment!
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 19, 2018
Managers and coworkers all very outgoing, great working community, satisfying work. reasonable break times, good shift availability, and discounts are really good, especially for cafe area.
Pros
discounts
Cons
low pay
productive work place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAAugust 19, 2018
great workplace, nice co-workers, great establishment all around. I loved working here to bad it was temporary but I really enjoyed the short time I was there.
Good company
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 16, 2018
This was my first job. Barnes and Noble is slowly dissolving and it's unlikely it will survive as a company much longer. They consistently close stores and throw under qualified management into their remaining stores. If it were not for my previous manager, I would still be employed with the company.
Customer service
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Barnes and Noble. I worked as a sales associate. I stocked merchandise, completed sales/cash transactions, assisted customers and helped with store events. It was fun. The pay and hours were good.
Great place!!
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 7, 2018
B&N offers a very friendly and professional work culture. Management is wonderful and always a pleasure to work with. Unfortunately there are not that many chances for advancements and with recent changes, hours have been drastically reduced.
For a retail store, it's a fun place to work at but salary is low
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 7, 2018
It's fun to work at Barnes & Nobles but the pay is very low and little job advancement. The managers are very friendly with you and keep things professional as well. They sometimes pressure you to sell memberships but they do it in a positive way and not in a negative way. Which works because if it was negative pressure, we wouldn't be getting any memberships. Co-workers are all good friends outside of Barnes and Noble. Culture in the store is really fun and friendly. Sometimes customers can be rude but you shouldn't let that get to you. You're mostly walking and standing up. In your shift you're either in Receiving, Customer Information Desk, Kids Dept, or Cashiering.
Pros
friendly co-workers who eventually become your friends, friendly and professional managers, positive environment and culture
Cons
low pay per hour, very low advancement opportunities, customers can be rude sometimes
just ok
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2018
The manager was inconsiderate most times. There is no respect and growth opportunities for members of the lower staff. Overall it was not a great experience working there.
Good first Job
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 2, 2018
Great for people who love books who a just getting into the work force. However, it does not provide a livable wage for customer service/book sellers. Salaries need to increased. Great people work there! All are interesting and passionate and love the store. Doesn't feel like working in a chain.
Don't
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCJuly 30, 2018
Unless you go to the school that the Barnes and Noble is in then you are very highly suggested to stay away. terrible place to be at and terrible place to work and the perks are discounts on school supplies so unless you are still in school stay away
Awesome place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 24, 2018
I had a wonderful experience working at Barnes and Noble. My coworkers were great and everyone treated each other like family. I chose to leave for personal reasons, but not because of management or anything. Holidays would get pretty crazy busy, but the hours were better during then. Pay is minimum wage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K