Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Cashier

Great place to work for.
Music salesmen/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsford, NYSeptember 10, 2018
Great Place for Employment in the Customer service field. Customers are generally friendly, Staff is great to work with. You will be on your feet your entire shift. Shifts can go quickly.
During Slow season hours can be very limited for employees.
Pros
Discount on Cafe, Great staff, Friendly management.
Cons
limited hours, standing.
Not fun at all
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 4, 2018
Would not recommend to work here, the manager’s were not very nice they would throw you under the bus even if you didn’t mess up. The coworkers were the only good thing about working here
Fun Place to Work
Bookseller/Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYJuly 3, 2018
Store usually stayed pretty busy and there were people in & out all day so the time went by faster. Always something to be working on. Being on a college campus made for an enjoyable work environment.
enjoyed books
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresh Meadows, NYJune 28, 2018
Working at this company has been a great experience, the problem that I endured was the lack of pay. There is no room for growth in this company. If you are a college student then yes, good first job.
Words don't describe
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJune 3, 2018
Completely disorganized. Employees liked to stand around and chat while I actually worked. The managers constantly berated the actual store manager behind his back and talked about him like he was stupid. Two-faced management.

Scheduled for about 9 hours a week after being told I'd get "around 15" and "up to 30". Was hired to be a barista and NEVER SET FOOT IN THE CAFE - sent directly to cash register. Multiple food safety code violations witnessed in the cafe. Nearly ZERO training on register before being left unattended. "Just call if you need help" they say... then don't show up at the front for 10+ minutes, if they ever do at all.

Terminated for "not meeting goals" after exactly 30 days, which isn't the real story, but prevented me from being eligible for unemployment. Never been fired in my life, but they were looking to get rid of me. Mailed me an envelope full of CASH afterwards.

Shady from top to bottom, especially for a large corporation. No wonder they are dying.
Pros
Higher pay than minimum wage
Cons
Seriously, just read the review.
It was an okay job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 31, 2018
I didn't really learn anything during my time at Barnes and Noble. This job wasn't as inclusive as my other one, and I only needed it because of money
Pros
Could leave early if you weren't needed anymore
Cons
Short breaks
Great job for college students
Cashier (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDApril 20, 2018
It was a temporary job. It is a great job for college students. I was a bookseller at the University of Maryland Bookstore for nearly 12 hours a week. I did a lot of stuff inside the bookstore as restocking merchandise, process textbook orders, and cashier and answer customer questions when needed. The hardest job in this bookstore is handling customers complaints, especially busy days such as textbook rush or admissions. The most enjoyable part of the job is restocking merchandise and straightening up, especially slow days.
Pros
20% discount on clothes, textbooks, etc.
Cons
Short breaks
Ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 8, 2018
Ufud6fyxypxhlxylxylcly up upgivupcup u up ylcyl up upchl my ulxly uvupvulcul ypupvypcupcpu up pu yo upc6ocupctocotcuo 69cuo it yoxucyculxyl ylxlt tocupxyo yoxyp
Despite one bad manager, it was a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 23, 2018
A typical day of work consisted of me helping customers and/or students find textbooks, seeing if students could use financial aid to purchase textbooks, and checking out merchandise. I learned how to use a cash register for merchandise and how to use the computer to find out if someone could use financial aid. The management was OK. One manager was really good, but the other one was kind of rude; the rude manager was sadly much ruder to the female employees than the male employees. The workplace culture was really good. employees tried to hard to make sure everyone enjoyed coming to work. The hardest part of the job was that it was temporary. The most enjoyable part of the job that it was above minimum wage.
Pros
above minimum wage
Cons
temporary job
Fun workplace with a friendly environment
cashier and restocking textbooks (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXFebruary 21, 2018
Overall a great college job to make some money while attending class. Management is friendly and hours are flexible. Coworkers are bright positive and friendly people.
Stuck
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJFebruary 3, 2018
I started the shift by re-shelf ing a number of books, it was intriguing because I learned of new books that were out. Customers were always happy when you found a book they were looking for
Pros
50% starbucks
Cons
can get stuck in retail easy
Loved this job!
Cashier/Booksller (Former Employee) –  Phenix City, ALJanuary 29, 2018
I loved working here! I loved being around the books and being able help my fellow customers. The manager here was very professional and very considerate of my school schedule.
Pros
Great work hours
Decent Job
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  MarylandJanuary 25, 2018
Flow of customers tend to be slow. It picks up around the beginning of the semester. It's organized and restocking can get heavy, but it's managable..
Easy Job for College students
Associate Cashier (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 22, 2018
If you are looking to keep busy and earn some extra money during your college years, Barnes and Nobles teaches you about up-keeping store layouts, organization of apparel, books, and food items. Plus, you get to deal with a plethora of customers which will grow your experience. Overall, a good company to work part time during college.
Typical corporate bunko job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baton RougeJanuary 12, 2018
Working for big companies is always stressful as they're very uptight about their image. If you just keep your head down you'll do well but I didn't like the feeling of being on thin ice all the time. Also my working schedule was different every week which was hard on a student.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2018
Fun workplace. Had opportunity for job growth and learning new skills and possibly a new or different position depending on the opportunities available.
great atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARDecember 29, 2017
Barnes and Noble is and amazinf place to work. with great coworkers and amazingly ujndertsanding management you cannot go wrong working for this fantastic company
Fun work place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 28, 2017
I love the place I worked at and the people I worked with it was a beyond friendly environment and if I didn't have to move into the city which made commuting impossible i would've stayed.
Not for faint of heart
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaDecember 17, 2017
I really hate to say this, but taking a job at Barnes and Noble was the worst decision I ever made. The hours were too short or too long, there was no in between. I was forced to work at their Starbucks but the application never mentioned this.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks, bad management, poorly placed hours, managers took quitting personally
Eeehh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 22, 2017
I was there for a short period of time, but it was "ok." There is no wow factor about working there unless you're a book connoisseur (which I am). Management was decent.
Pros
Endless reading
Cons
Pay isn't good, hours are too short

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K