Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Cashier

cool
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 20, 2017
liked working the morning easy to get in and get out have the rest of the day to yourself. around noon it always got hectic no matter what day it was. Thats what makes the time go by pretty fast
Positive environment, helpful coworkers, strong learning experience
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Midland, MINovember 10, 2017
The overall environment in Barnes & Noble is calm and positive. Both the customers and coworkers are very enjoyable to work with. There is a lot to learn, as most employees are trained in multiple different jobs within the store. A typical day fluctuates a lot seeing as customers come and go and holiday season brings more in than usual.
Pros
Calm environment overall
Cons
Can quickly become stressful depending on customer flow
Barnes and nobles was a good job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 8, 2017
I would totally recommend Barnes and nobles to anyone. All my coworkers were really nice and helpful. My managers were helpful also and very nice. The location was a perfect spot for me and they worked with my school schedule.
Pros
discounts
temporary positiions
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCOctober 23, 2017
no benefits and part time hours, the pay was minimum wage. Pretty slow paced work environment. there were not many opportunities to advance in this company
Barnes and Noble was a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2017
At Barnes and Noble i was mainly a cashier and i learned only about working the registers.I also learned about customer service and successfully making transactions.
Demanding. Stressful. Perhaps a little unfair.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kahala, HIOctober 4, 2017
Coworkers tend to be friendly. Management differs in attitude depending on individual. Expectations from management to sell memberships at times seems very aggressive. Not at all a job meant for everyone.
Pros
Chance to work on people skills and appreciation of the those working in retail.
Cons
At times stressful due to high expectations to sell memberships.
Friendly work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAOctober 3, 2017
I love this work place. Flexible working hours. Managers very helpful and loving to all employees. I would recommend barnes and noble any person who want to gain a retail experience.
Great people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 25, 2017
all my coworkers were awesome and very helpful to each other. Management was very helpful and understanding with a lot of situations. just had very few hours and very few days scheduled to work.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
heavy lifing and customers can be rude sometimes
employees are great people
cashier (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 19, 2017
workplace culture has become difficult but not necessarily through the fault of the management and more due to the evolving sales culture. The management has to deal with a lot of the stress that trickles down to the lower employees. Its not their fault but the stress is felt on all levels.
Not what you expect
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 18, 2017
Working here was not what i expected. I was working here and somewhere else and they were very forceful about making me pick them over my other job. When i was hired i told them i was working another job and that there were certain times i would not be able to work there and they said that it was no problem and they would work with me. That turned out to not be the case. It was only a seasonal job so i wasn't that worried when they didn't ask me to continue on with them.
fun place to work
FLOOR CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 12, 2017
fun place to work at, friendly people surrounded with amazing atmosphere. relaxing type of flow which gives you time to study and focus on your school.
Great Coffee, Great Books, Great People
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 8, 2017
Fun, fast-paced, cafe inside of Barnes & Noble. Great management team, wonderful coworkers, even got a sweet discount (50% at cafe, 30% everything else in the store) which I was very thankful for, especially during the holidays. Only downside to the position was the seasonal status of the position as well as the longer hours.
Pros
Discounts, great team members
Cons
Seasonal
Great place to work if you're still in high school and need pocket cash.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHAugust 29, 2017
Hardly any hours regardless of how many times I've asked, great employees and workspace but not a high enough pay or enough time to support oneself let alone a family.
Pros
Half hour lunch, 15 minute breaks, pay is above minimum wage
Cons
No benefits, hardly any hours, lucky to get 18 hours in a week
Quick pace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 26, 2017
I loved working there. My store was a college texts book store and I got hired on for rush which is when school is about to start. After that was over I got let go but then they asked me to come back for the holidays and ended up staying on until I moved. I would have transferred but the closest store was hours away from where I moved to.
Good Quick job that is flexible with hours
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 22, 2017
Perfect job for someone who is looking for a temporary position as they hire a lot for seasonal positions. They work around your schedule because you get to pick what shifts you would like to take.
busy place
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Glassboro, NJAugust 3, 2017
been at this job for 9 and half years, this is or has been fun at times but the overall growth is zero level I have train many and yet I haven't moved up myself
Pros
extra discounts
Cons
hours pay
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 14, 2017
Job was simply and rewarding, easy task to do and very friendly co-workers. Only reason I don't work here anymore is because I moved but great place to work at!
Productivity
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 1, 2017
Great workplace after all. Nothing to do much besides helping customers and stocking items. People are great because they are also students so we really understand each others a lot.
Fun place to work for a summer job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 20, 2017
It's kinda boring as a cashier you can't walk around the store because you have to watch out for customers. I liked some of the customers i had the pleasure to meet. And people i worked with were fun. the hardest part about my job was to sell membership, not a lot of people want to spend $25 for a membership.
fun to work at
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2017
Very busy during rush but fun to work at. I am a seasonal employee so I can only speak on the times that I am there. It's easy to learn and you can get hired but there is never a permanent position it's just seasonal.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.