Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Cashier

Stuck
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJFebruary 3, 2018
I started the shift by re-shelf ing a number of books, it was intriguing because I learned of new books that were out. Customers were always happy when you found a book they were looking for
Pros
50% starbucks
Cons
can get stuck in retail easy
Decent Job
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  MarylandJanuary 25, 2018
Flow of customers tend to be slow. It picks up around the beginning of the semester. It's organized and restocking can get heavy, but it's managable..
Typical corporate bunko job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baton RougeJanuary 12, 2018
Working for big companies is always stressful as they're very uptight about their image. If you just keep your head down you'll do well but I didn't like the feeling of being on thin ice all the time. Also my working schedule was different every week which was hard on a student.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2018
Fun workplace. Had opportunity for job growth and learning new skills and possibly a new or different position depending on the opportunities available.
great atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARDecember 29, 2017
Barnes and Noble is and amazinf place to work. with great coworkers and amazingly ujndertsanding management you cannot go wrong working for this fantastic company
Fun work place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 28, 2017
I love the place I worked at and the people I worked with it was a beyond friendly environment and if I didn't have to move into the city which made commuting impossible i would've stayed.
Not for faint of heart
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaDecember 17, 2017
I really hate to say this, but taking a job at Barnes and Noble was the worst decision I ever made. The hours were too short or too long, there was no in between. I was forced to work at their Starbucks but the application never mentioned this.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks, bad management, poorly placed hours, managers took quitting personally
Eeehh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 22, 2017
I was there for a short period of time, but it was "ok." There is no wow factor about working there unless you're a book connoisseur (which I am). Management was decent.
Pros
Endless reading
Cons
Pay isn't good, hours are too short
cool
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 20, 2017
liked working the morning easy to get in and get out have the rest of the day to yourself. around noon it always got hectic no matter what day it was. Thats what makes the time go by pretty fast
Positive environment, helpful coworkers, strong learning experience
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Midland, MINovember 10, 2017
The overall environment in Barnes & Noble is calm and positive. Both the customers and coworkers are very enjoyable to work with. There is a lot to learn, as most employees are trained in multiple different jobs within the store. A typical day fluctuates a lot seeing as customers come and go and holiday season brings more in than usual.
Pros
Calm environment overall
Cons
Can quickly become stressful depending on customer flow
Barnes and nobles was a good job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 8, 2017
I would totally recommend Barnes and nobles to anyone. All my coworkers were really nice and helpful. My managers were helpful also and very nice. The location was a perfect spot for me and they worked with my school schedule.
Pros
discounts
temporary positiions
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCOctober 23, 2017
no benefits and part time hours, the pay was minimum wage. Pretty slow paced work environment. there were not many opportunities to advance in this company
Barnes and Noble was a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2017
At Barnes and Noble i was mainly a cashier and i learned only about working the registers.I also learned about customer service and successfully making transactions.
Demanding. Stressful. Perhaps a little unfair.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kahala, HIOctober 4, 2017
Coworkers tend to be friendly. Management differs in attitude depending on individual. Expectations from management to sell memberships at times seems very aggressive. Not at all a job meant for everyone.
Pros
Chance to work on people skills and appreciation of the those working in retail.
Cons
At times stressful due to high expectations to sell memberships.
Friendly work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAOctober 3, 2017
I love this work place. Flexible working hours. Managers very helpful and loving to all employees. I would recommend barnes and noble any person who want to gain a retail experience.
Great people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 25, 2017
all my coworkers were awesome and very helpful to each other. Management was very helpful and understanding with a lot of situations. just had very few hours and very few days scheduled to work.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
heavy lifing and customers can be rude sometimes
employees are great people
cashier (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 19, 2017
workplace culture has become difficult but not necessarily through the fault of the management and more due to the evolving sales culture. The management has to deal with a lot of the stress that trickles down to the lower employees. Its not their fault but the stress is felt on all levels.
Not what you expect
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 18, 2017
Working here was not what i expected. I was working here and somewhere else and they were very forceful about making me pick them over my other job. When i was hired i told them i was working another job and that there were certain times i would not be able to work there and they said that it was no problem and they would work with me. That turned out to not be the case. It was only a seasonal job so i wasn't that worried when they didn't ask me to continue on with them.
fun place to work
FLOOR CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 12, 2017
fun place to work at, friendly people surrounded with amazing atmosphere. relaxing type of flow which gives you time to study and focus on your school.
Great Coffee, Great Books, Great People
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 8, 2017
Fun, fast-paced, cafe inside of Barnes & Noble. Great management team, wonderful coworkers, even got a sweet discount (50% at cafe, 30% everything else in the store) which I was very thankful for, especially during the holidays. Only downside to the position was the seasonal status of the position as well as the longer hours.
Pros
Discounts, great team members
Cons
Seasonal

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K