Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Bookseller

was good for being a student
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 16, 2018
not too many hours, most weeks i did less that 15 hours total and when i did work it was either very slow paced or non-stop chaotic customers. But overall I enjoyed the experience the people I worked with were pleasant.
Ok
Book seller (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 16, 2018
This was a great place to work. Everyone that I encountered there was very professional. It's a shame I had to move or I'd still be working there to this day. Amazing benefits.
You get along with everybody
Part-Time Bookseller (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJuly 16, 2018
The workers are very nice. You feel like you can talk to people. Customers are friendly when they want to be. You have no room to advance. You do not have benefits unless you are full time, which is only managers. You do not get paid time off or paid sick days.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No healthcare
Relaxed
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 15, 2018
Working for Barnes and Noble was great. It was a very relaxed environment and the coworkers were very helpful and understanding. It is a good job for people who love being around books.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not many hours available.
Barnes and Noble Bookseller
Part-Time Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 14, 2018
As a part-time bookseller at Barnes and Noble Bookseller, I loved my job. I would at the cash register frequently which I enjoyed greatly, as well as in various parts of the store reorganizing and restocking. I especially enjoyed working in the Children's Book Area and helping parents find books for their children. A great deal of time was spent reshelving and straightening books which I found satisfying as I am a very neat person by nature.
Pros
Getting to see all the new arrivals come in and the discount
Educational
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 14, 2018
Working at Barnes and Noble is a very educational experience for me. The staff there are friendly and welcome you with open arms. You not only build friendships there but strong bonds that will never be broken. At times the job can be very fast paced while other times it can be quite relaxing.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Very little pay with inconsistent hours per week
BNC-- the ideal college student employment
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 11, 2018
I love my job at the bookstore. Our campus is small and we don't have much for student affairs, so we are a low volume store with only 3 employees but I would recommend to every college student to apply for their bookstores since it is a convenient and flexible job that is very understanding of the working conditions needed for a healthy college schedule.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay
good
College Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJuly 7, 2018
This was a summer job I head during my undergrad years. The manager was great and provided me with a lot of opportunity to expand my skills and work with students.
Fun people to work with, not organized enough.
Book Seller, Barista (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 2, 2018
People are fun to work with, but when the cafe get busy it can be very unorganized. Managers can lack some communication skills or tact when talking about position changes and employee responsibilities.
Not a job for those that need hours and money
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJuly 2, 2018
It's very fast-paced in the beginning when every student needs textbooks and then gets slower-paced throughout the rest of the semester. Management was very passive aggressive. Hours weren't scheduled fairly. Liked the coworkers and the discount.
Better Experience
Barista and Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 30, 2018
Barnes and Noble was certainly a dream job. Though my experience didn't last long I met a lot of good people there. Staffing wasn't always great, but it gave me opportunity to get experience as a bookseller. I was a bookseller in-training and preferred that to working café. Selling books is a great experience. And the benefits of Advanced reader Copies is something I'll always treasure! The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with someone less experienced, or even for myself trying to find a good way to sell memberships. Workplace culture… ehh, management wasn't the best, in-fact they were a big creepy and sometimes a bit high-handed due to the their roles as store-managers. I learned that selling books is what I want to do, for a long time.
Pros
Reduced-pay lunches, good food, Advanced Reader Copies of Books, Customer Experiences and Conversation.
Cons
Poor Management, Understaffing, Lack-of-Communications, Double-Standards held between management and associates.
Great Teamwork, Not enough salary for the hours and hectic schedule
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60614June 29, 2018
Barnes and Noble is great, you make the best of friends in your coworkers and are all mostly supportive of each other. The issue is the hectic schedule, the inconsistent hours, and the low pay. It is minimum wage and for how often we need people and have to go above and beyond to just make it through I think we deserve more pay.
Pros
50% off cafe, 30% off books
Cons
salary and hours inconsistent
Nice part-time work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Fairless Hills, PAJune 28, 2018
It was fun working at Barnes and Noble, but aside from a one-time raise of a dollar back when that sort of thing was (briefly) in vogue, I received little to make my time there worthwhile. Aside from the occasional promise of a promotion somewhere in the future to keep me from quitting, there was really no reason for me to work there long term, despite a chill work environment and the joy of working in a bookstore. The pay, after taxes, was around $7 /hr, and there were no benefits to speak of. If you don't have kids or rent, it's a great job for you. Oddly, there is a high learning curve to working there, which is inconsistent with their turnover rate.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Low pay, little room for advancement, overwhelming feeling of doom as the company dies
Fun relaxed place to work
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILJune 28, 2018
Not overly stressful for a retail job, but selling memberships is pushed and your membership percentages are important. They try to cross train employees in all areas (cash, bookfloor, cafe) so you get experience in different aspects of customer service/retail work.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Hours can be hard to come by in certain times of the year
BandN was a positve work experience
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJune 28, 2018
Most employees were interested in reading and as such we had a healthy work environment where discussion of books was encouraged. The later time spent working there was more stressful though as the managers would put more pressure on the employees to serve the customers better.
Amazing, fun, never boring
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 27, 2018
Cashiering was fun on busy days. My favorite area to work in was at the information desk. It was never boring there. The kids department sometimes got a little out of hand. I was blessed to have wonderful managers and amazing coworkers.
Productive and fun with an emphasis on customer service
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2018
Working at Barnes & Nobles was honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made. My coworkers and managers were extremely friendly and helpful. There is a lot to do in the store to maintain it, but all responsibilities are shared evenly and we are encouraged to cooperate and work together to tackle problems. Managers often listened to requests, such as wanting to work on the floor instead of the registers, and tried to assign workers to places they seemed to do the best in. There is a heavy emphasis on customer service at Barnes & Noble, which is a really nice feeling. Instead of being more focused on the product, which many retail places fall prey to, Barnes & Noble insists that the customers come first. It was more important to greet and help customers than anything else. The managers even had a "place the book in their hand" policy, which essentially meant that if a customer approaches you, you don't leave them alone until you've helped them to the best of the store's collective ability. Pretty much everything about working here was wonderful, from the people to the workplace itself. The most challenging things to deal with are Fridays, Saturdays, and holidays. Fridays and Saturdays are always very busy, which means there's little time to complete any tasks that need to be done. Holidays are always even busier, but the store usually schedules extra employees to compensate, so it's never too much to handle.
Pros
Discounts on everything, friendly enviornment
Great place with friendly work environment
Bookeseller (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 26, 2018
Great place to learn and engage a variety of people and cultures. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make someone's day. A typical day can be slow depending on the week.
Pros
Employee discount
Benefits
Really great employees, but no room to be creative or provide inputs.
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJune 21, 2018
I loved some employees and even became friends with some customers. When I first started I was in classes so I needed a part-time job. However, everyday is the same and it gets sort of boring if you are a busy body. When there is really no customers in the afternoon you have to follow them around as there is nothing to do, afternoon is prime time which means you can't recover misplaced items or work on projects even if there is only one customer. The reason I began to lose interest in my role is because the huge emphasis placed on selling memberships and the immediate dismissal of any ideas you have for the store. If you don't get enough memberships within a time period (usually you should strive for 1 per hour) you are asked tons of questions by the manager, and her responses to answers were always with such attitude. The more I work here the more I realize I am a minimum wage salesman without commission. Everyday you have to convince customers to get a membership or buy another book for "only 8.99". If the customers are in a bad mood and simply rude you still have to continue convincing them why a membership is worthwhile, if you don't then you are seen as not trying hard enough. So, if you like being a salesman I would recommend this job to you. But for those that decide to work at Barnes and Noble because of their love for books I say this isn't for you.
Pros
Nice Employees, flexible scheduling, can request days off, interactions with interesting people.
Cons
Micromanagement, essentially a salesmen, unable to provide input.
Fantastic work environment
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 21, 2018
All of the staff were very helpful and assisted me in becoming the best I could be. It was fun to work with all the customers and help them find what they were looking for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K