Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Bookseller

Fun place to work
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 18, 2018
Helping customers to find books and music, Locate items not in store and place on order in not available within the local area. Learn how to work together as a team Management is very helpful and willing to listen and advise. Workplace culture is varied. it makes it an interesting place to work. Hardest part of the job--leaving at the end of the day. Most enjoyable part of the job--the people you work with!
long hours on your feet
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHOctober 17, 2018
you don't really get to sit unless you're on break. you have to also deal with a lot of angry customers. but the managers were very understanding and one even helped me out of a panic attack.
Pros
discount
Cons
dealing with ngry customers
Relaxed but quick paced on game days
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 16, 2018
The environment at Barnes & Noble is very welcoming and family friendly. The workers are very polite, the customers are understanding if there are shipping problems and since it is on campus, it is fairly easy for students and workers to get there.
Pros
35% discounts
Cons
short breaks
Pretty good part-time job
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Bainbridge, GAOctober 14, 2018
I learned how to multi-task really quickly at Barnes & Nobles as a bookseller. I learned how to use a cash register and ship in and out book orders and etc.
Pros
Discount, was on my college campus, and it was an easy going job
Cons
Had some trouble with the assistant manager
It is a good place
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 10, 2018
It was a good experience to be there, it was one of my job experience in America, so i have learned a lot about the time management, commitment. I have met good people who were helpful to me.
Pros
Team work and hardworking place
Cons
They like strong and commitment people
Alright
Cashier and Book Seller (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 8, 2018
Didn't mind working. Management makes sure to keep you busy, few customers in store except for mid day Saturday, after church on sundays, or the holiday season.
An Excellent Temporary Position
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2018
If you love to read and are just looking for a temporary holiday job with decent discounts on lattes, this would be the job for you.
The team was amazing, the customers were well read and quite fun to speak to. The systems were easy to use, and you were paid weekly.
Pros
Books absolutely everywhere, discounts in the cafe, good culture for a temp job
Cons
not enough breaks, on your feet the whole shift, temp job with extremely low pay
It was nice
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 30, 2018
I worked for a campus bookstore, so it got pretty hectic during the first few weeks of classes, but other than that, it was pretty chill. I mainly worked in the twxt book department.
Pros
Discounts!
Cons
Rush week customers
Was once a great place to work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fort, ALSeptember 28, 2018
Barnes and Noble was once a great place to work! Not anymore. It’s gone from being a bookstore with heart, to a company that doesn’t care about its employees. They won’t hire any full time employees anymore because they don’t want to have to pay benefits. They believe they are going to save themselves 40 million dollars by doing this. The only thing that this will do for them is keep them afloat for a little longer.
You were once great.
R.I.P. Barnes and Noble.
Productive and Carefree Environment
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILSeptember 28, 2018
The store in Geneva Commons is a quick paced environment. It is important to be on task and do several things at once. One must work on a project and help customers in person and on the phones. Management will keep you on track of the projects and customer service for the day. The employees are friendly and will answer any questions new employees have. If you enjoy reading, this is the place for you.
A hard place
Bookseller/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2018
Barnes and Noble in downtown DC (no longer in business) was a difficult place to work. It kept you on your toes because of it's location. In addition to that, we had so many different personalities to work with on a daily basis that it was hard to know how to approach people.

The management left much to be desired. The general manager did not listen to the regional manager and this caused problems when it came to inventory.

The best part of the job was suggesting and finding books for customers who weren't sure what to read, and to later learn that they loved the title you chose for them.

The worst part were those who came in and took out their anger on you.
Pros
Seeing new book arrivals, book signings
Cons
Short lunches, some of the managers were not good with people
Communication needs improvement
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  NJSeptember 24, 2018
I really do enjoy the job, but I have found that there's a lack of communication. Especially when it comes to scheduling. You give your availability as well as informing them of any dates you're not available - BEFORE the schedule is made. Then you see you are scheduled on some of those days. Acting M.O.D. tells you to speak to another employee to see if they can switch days with you. Wait. It's not like i just requested the day. It was put in writing BEFORE the schedule was made! And the dust....my allergies have flared up big time. It's great to straighten up and organize the store every night, but the store is in need of a cleaning.
fast paced and fun environment
Bookseller/Barista (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 20, 2018
the managers are flexible with your hours. Everyone is always so happy and has a positive attitude. Its such a nice place to work and grow your job career.
Cut-throat and unstable
TEMPORARY TEXTBOOK BOOKSELLER (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WASeptember 18, 2018
When I worked at the Bookie during the August student rush I enjoyed interacting with my fellow employees, however there was always an underlying tension since we knew that out of the 50 they had hired that they would only keep 12. We competed on the daily for the best compliments from customers, and it made it difficult to ask for help for fear that they might take the good review that could get you a job for the next year. At the end of the term they suddenly told people that they were no longer needed and were expected to leave. I felt this was incredibly rude as I felt they could have easily talk with each of us the week before to let us know if we were staying or leaving so we could start looking for the next job.
Pros
20% discount on textbooks
Cons
constant stress over whether they will need you the next day/week
Many changes at Barnes & Noble.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Clackamas, ORSeptember 18, 2018
A lot has changed at Barnes & Noble since I was hired. It is no longer the company that I started with. Some of the changes have created a trickle down toxic environment.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Company wide changes.
Forced part time with little ability to move up unless willing to relocate or change job titles
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 18, 2018
Pay and hours leave workers unable to pay for their cost of living, the work is stressful and often unrewarding. Corporate quotas leave even the most efficient of us feeling unappreciated and lacking. Upper management does not want to hear, and refuses to understand the position and opinions of employees. Cut hours and lead positions leaves stores understaffed and stressed; however, same quotas and sales goals apply. When work goes undone due to poor staffing, understaffed and busy stores are seen as an excuse rather than an explanation.
Pros
discounts on cafe and book products
Cons
poor pay, no benefits, short breaks, stressful work environment, little upward mobility
Productive and fun workplace
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSSeptember 13, 2018
My typical day at work started with stocking new books and continued with customer service, while being prepared to assist my colleagues at the cash register.
I learned new skills in multitasking, communication and effective teamwork.
The management team does a terrific job in making sure that everything runs smoothly, while at the same time ensuring that all employees treat each other fairly and feel comfortable in the work environment.
The workplace culture passionately follows the principles of honesty, integrity and service and strives every day to become an even more successful company.
The hardest part of the job is when only very few employees are available and it becomes challenging to keep everything running smoothly.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to work together with a team of dedicated and supportive associates and making meaningful connections.
Pros
Free lunches, competitive pay, product discount
It was a dream to be working with people who liked books and coffee.
Barnes and Noble Bookseller and cafe (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALSeptember 13, 2018
The managers were always apologizing about the poor pay that they had to work with. I would still be working there had it not been for the salary. At that time, I was afraid not to have health care and the salary alone was not enough to truly live a quality life on your own.
THat's the only reason that I left.

The workplace was great. You can always smell cofffees, cookies, books etc. People are generally in a good mood and just need a little help figuring out what it is that they want or need. All associates were helpful fun and eager to please.

We all had to be able to do each job. My lease favorite was the cafe floor and the end of the day or cleaning bathrooms. I did it though; all of us did.
Pros
Being around people who were excited about books and food.
Cons
Very low salary. That mattered at the time. Not anymore.
A Fun Place To Work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 12, 2018
Working in a bookstore is always a fun job for me. It affords me the opportunity to not only become familiar with previously unknown tome books, but also to interact with people, customers and colleagues, who enjoy those books and are knowledgeable in those fields. Working at Barnes & Noble afforded me that opportunity, as well as offering me a fun and flexible workplace.
Pros
Being around books, music, and movies. Like minded colleagues.
Cons
Low wages, dress code.
Great place to work if you're OK with retail hours
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNSeptember 11, 2018
As far as retail jobs go, B&N is one of the best. If you love reading, talking about books, being around book lovers, etc., it's a great place to spend a day.
As a full-time bookseller, I had to spend a certain amount of time working the cash register or information desk, or walking the floor straightening shelves or putting books away. Also, I was in charge of maintaining certain areas of the store, which meant setting up planned promotional shelves, endcaps, or tables, or restocking inventory.
The biggest drawbacks are the odd hours...working nights and weekends...and the occasional difficult customer. But that's part of any retail job, and readers are usually good people so they're not a super common sight.
Pros
Discount, relaxed atmosphere, fun people
Cons
Odd hours, difficult customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K