Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Bookseller

I loved working at Barnes and Noble
Sales Associate / Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSDecember 14, 2017
This has been one of my favorite jobs. I am an avid reader and therefore enjoyed working in a bookstore. The management and the staff worked well with one another. They were flexible with scheduling and willing to work with you on your schedule.
Pros
Books
Cons
Low pay
Just another retail job.
Bookseller and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 13, 2017
While the assumption about working at Barnes & Noble is positively associated with working around books, the fact remains that it is just another retail job. Generally, you feel as if you are putting a lot more effort into your work than you are getting paid for, and numbers and sales are the only thing that matter to the company.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not much career advancement, minimum wage, not employee oriented
Unpleasant and Poor Management
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CADecember 11, 2017
Barnes and Noble was a very difficult place to work at due to the poor management. They were inefficient and struggled to lead employees, often times taking advantage of good employees, and abusing their power.
Pros
50% off Starbucks, 30% of Books
Cons
Horrible Managers, No Motivational Involvement, Little Pay.
This place is great for a student....not for a serious career
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OH 45384December 11, 2017
There aren't many benefits and the pay is really low, but if you are a college student its adequate pay. It is enough to get you some food, but not enough to pay your bills.
Pros
Fun, Lively, Energetic
Cons
low pay, low hours
A lot of work goes into making a bookstore great
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  CTDecember 7, 2017
If you love books and reading this should be a great place to work, although you'll have to do your reading on your own time. It's a common misconception that booksellers hang around and read when there's nothing to do. Actually, there are never enough hours or employees to get all the jobs done and so you're really expected to hustle.

You can expect a typical day to be a lot of running around, or at least walking at a very fast pace-always. Each day is a different challenge. Aside from answering many phone calls, assisting customers in locating their items, placing orders, ringing up purchases at the registers, and keeping the store tidy, you could spend time shelving the never-ending supply of newly arrived merchandise, taking down displays and putting up new displays, dusting the sales floor, making sure all sections are in their correct company-approved order, and assisting customers with trouble-shooting their e-reader devices.

My favorite part of the job: finding just the right book and knowing I've helped the customer, or when a returning customer let me know they enjoyed a recommendation I'd made. Also participating in or directing events for kids and families, like storytimes.

The hardest part: disappointing a customer, for whatever reason, be it that their book is not in stock, their order didn't arrive on time, etc. It can be kind of crazy to see how that might really ruin a person's day.

Another difficulty being seen and felt everywhere is online retailers. They're not going away, though, and all brick-and-mortar stores are struggling to remain relevant. It
  more... can be frustrating to lose sales to the internet after working to assist a customer in locating their item only to have them say they'll order online.  less
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
pushing the membership, competiton with online retailers
Limited Growth
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 7, 2017
The work was fine but could be considered very repetitive. The company only hired part time staff so that they wouldn't have to pay for benefits which limits the growth as an employee
Pros
Calm environment
Cons
No benefits, limited growth potential
Seasonal
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHDecember 6, 2017
I’m working there currently as a seasonal employee. It’s usually pretty busy and everyone is really nice. I can’t work Friday, Saturday, or Monday and they still work with me!
I liked the job, but felt it could’ve been better had the company not decided to base so much of their focus on the Nook reader.
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXNovember 30, 2017
I love reading & so a job @ Barnes & Noble was Awesome! Sadly the corporate need to focus on greed made the job less fun. I was good at selling books, but that never mattered as the instructions were to always hawk the Barnes & Noble card & convince people they needed the Nook reader. I do have great appreciation for the Nook, I just feel too much was focused on it & feel I was proved right a few years after I left I heard the reader essentially became part of a different company. As far as the Barnes & Noble card went, I feel it was more of a rip off than an advantage & it really depressed me when the little old folks on fixed incomes that would never actually learn how to use the card to their advantage would ask for the card. While I never told them my opinion ~ I felt guilty. It’s not right to treat people that way & I’m glad I don’t have to sell that card anymore. I think it’s sad that the corporate world chooses to create cash cows like that card rather than just letting good sales people do their job of selling things people want to buy.
Pros
never ending books, no uniforms
Cons
barnes & noble card, elf on the shelf
Fun place to work with great customers
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 30, 2017
I enjoy working with Customers at Barnes & Noble. Helping Customers find books, helping children pick out a book to read and the flexible hours are the perks working at Barnes & Noble.
Enjoyable workplace
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 27, 2017
Most days are spent working either at the cashwrap or on the sales floor. Cashiers are required to pitch the Membership program to all customers and request email addresses. Working on the sales floor mostly consists of helping customers, general store upkeep, and helping put out product.
The atmosphere is pretty relaxed and the management and workers are all great. Most of the time, it's a pretty low stress job. I wish there were more incentives to go beyond the base expectations.
Raises are only available annually and there isn't a lot of opportunity to move up in the company. If you're looking for career progression, this probably isn't a great choice.
Overall though, it's a great place to work in the short term, but you will probably have to go elsewhere to advance in the retail world.
Pros
Great management, great coworkers, low stress, PTO for some part timers, discounts
Cons
No opportunity for advancement, no incentives for extra effort, in the middle of culture shift
Productive and fun place
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 26, 2017
One of the best jobs I've had thus far! Management was amazing, and I loved all of my coworkers! If I didn't know something there was always someone around to help me, and the hardest part about the job was trying to sell the credit card.
Pros
Great discount
Very well organized work place
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CANovember 21, 2017
I love Barnes and nobles , it was very calm and collective they pay was great and the costumer service was awesome if your into books that's a great job
They are okay
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLNovember 20, 2017
The place is alright. The management could use a kick in the pants. They like to get people from outside to take jobs from the internal employees who deserve the promotions way more.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay, no advancement
Loved working here
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CANovember 20, 2017
My first job was working at Barnes and Noble, and I never hated going to work. My coworkers were awesome and I helping people with any book inquiries that they had.
work
book seller (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 17, 2017
If there's nothing to do or if business is too slow; they start cutting hours which cuts pay and your already making minimum wage so..just keep that in mind
I wouldn't work here again.
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 10, 2017
Even if I was desperate I wouldn't work here again. One week I would work 28 hours and the next week I would work 10. The only good part was using dayforce to pick up shifts. Otherwise, don't work here unless you absolutely need something out of it.
Excellent Environment, Easy Work, Pay Is Not Great
Part Time Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 7, 2017
I've worked at Barnes and Noble little over a year but I would not quit unless I absolutely had to. The people I work with are all amazingly intelligent and kind individuals, all with a unique personality. This is the first job I've worked where I haven't experienced any drama because the people I work with recognize that bickering will not help us grow as a team. Management is on point and cares deeply for their employees and though there is the typical corporate touch that brings a little annoyance to the job, overall it is a wonderful place to work. The only downside to the job is that the pay is not great and I won't blame the company for that. Unfortunately book stores are struggling to survive in the onslaught of online retail. Even then I have received more pay raises unprompted than at a retail establishment I worked at for 4+ years that is thriving. They care about their employees and their happiness. The job itself is not terribly exciting but if you love books and talking to people that are passionate about reading, you'll fit right in.
Pros
Love my customers and coworker, the work is interesting and management cares for their employees
Cons
Low pay
The great divided
Bookseller/Cashier/Customer Serv. Rep (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19103November 6, 2017
Favoritism, insider hiring, low pay, inconvenient scheduling. However its always great to work with books, great discount in cafe and on sales floor. Events are not outrages!
Productive and fun place to work
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHNovember 3, 2017
Typically a day consists of filling text book orders, checking in shipped merchandise, stockings shelves and, most importantly, customer service. Working with the customers is one of my favorite aspects of this job. However, it can be challenging when there's not good communication between you and the customer. Such as, the return policy on rental textbooks and other policies.
it's book selling, plain and simple
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 1, 2017
Good place to work, Typical retail, with books. If you understand retail culture- namely, the priority of income over, say, customer comfort, then this is a good place. They treat employees VERY well, and if you're a bibliophile, I highly recommend. However, if sales culture and social interactions are not your cup of tea, then I suggest finding something else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.