Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Barista

Barista / Cashier
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MAFebruary 19, 2018
Hired during the holidays, extremely difficult to become fully trained but got used to it over a few weeks, serves its purpose of a part-time job yet continue to struggle with a few tasks as I haven't been trained 100 %
Pros
breaks and lunches
Cons
no raise given
an experience
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAFebruary 13, 2018
As the little time i worked there, i knew i didn't belong there. The manager made me feel uncomfortable, i wore a hijab then so i knew many were to fond about it.
Great People, little advancements
Cashier, Barista (Current Employee) –  Moorestown, NJFebruary 8, 2018
The coworkers are usually amazing people but the benefits are few. You do get 30-50% off on stuff, which is nice. But the low pay isn't worth the eight hours on your feet. Recently Barnes and Noble has taken to removing full-time positions, or at least leaving them unfilled. We don't have a cafe lead or a receiving person anymore, and we haven't been given the okay to actually fill the positions with someone else.
Pros
30% off on books and 50% off on food, Check-out system for new books
Cons
Understaffed even by one person will lead to struggles for the rest of the day
Wonderful work envioment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYFebruary 7, 2018
This is one of the best jobs I have ever had. The people that I work with are always friendly and we get along great. I feel as if I have developed my own little family while working there.
great
Barista (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAFebruary 5, 2018
work at cafe, great manager, great people, love my employees, love that we are like a family, just sometimes it get stressful, and hectic and you get no help, they are sometimes cutting hours so , would like to at least work longer hours
A Nice Seasonal Job
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 2, 2018
As you would expect from the largest book retailer in the US, Barnes and Noble employees are well-read, pop culture familiar, and friendly. The work environment is generally a quiet one, much like a library, however behind the scenes, planograms and competitive cashier goals foster a sense of haste and ambition.

From a barista's perspective (mine), the store is generally quite peaceful, sometimes even painfully slow - but the holidays are something of a war zone. The cafe's small team however works fluidly, having been chosen specifically to work well together they are friendly, drama free, and quick to help one another. Working with the Barnes and Noble Cafe was perfect for what I needed at the time, although the paycheck was small the time was well spent in a very happy and agreeable environment. I would have loved to go back, if only their were more opportunities for advancement.
Pros
friendly team environment and some of the most agreeable customers in retail
Cons
no holidays off, always changing schedule
Pretty fun
Barista (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 31, 2018
Never gets too boring, there's always something to do. Definitely not the best place to work, but far from the worst. As long as you work at a steady space, and keep that customer welcoming smile on a swivel you'll do fine.
Pros
Numerous discounts
Cons
Mostly short shifts.
Great place to work.
Bookseller/Cashier/Barista (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDJanuary 31, 2018
Great Company.
Great atmosphere.
Very diverse.
Benefits are good if you're full-time.
Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the fact that everyone feels like family.
Awesome coworkers and friendly management
Barista (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 30, 2018
I truly love Barnes and Noble, not only because I'm an avid reader, but because its a relaxed and friendly environment. I highly recommend applying to Barnes and Noble if you're looking for a productive yet friendly work place.
Pros
Coworkers and management
Cons
Only part-time, low oppertunities for advancement
Fun atmosphere, friendly co-workers
Cafe Worker/Barista (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJanuary 27, 2018
I worked part-time and for a short while in only one department, so cannot comment on larger picture, but I liked working at this Barnes and Noble and would recommend it as a future job site.
A sinking ship is better than drowning
Barista etc (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 24, 2018
The company is not on track to last much longer, so don't try to make a career out of it. Treat a job here as an alternative to unemployment, because it's not much better. They have ridiculously low pay (my current location is short of the state minimum). The company refuses to allow enough payroll hours to the stores, so we are left short-staffed and overwhelmed almost every day. The thought behind cutting payroll is the same as the old "No Child Left Behind" program, so if the store makes more money, they're allowed more payroll. Obviously, if a patient is dying you would expect the hospital to refuse medical assistance until said patient has managed to operate on his or her self.
Pros
Coworkers are some of the best people you'll ever meet
Cons
Customers
Wonderful Environment
Barista/Cafe Server (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJanuary 24, 2018
Great place to work, staff are the best at almost every location. Corporate side has been on the downfall however, which is why I've decided to move on. I do recommend Barnes and Noble to new workers who dont want too many hours on their plate. The discount is really amazing and you feel at home while working.
Pros
Lots of Breaks, Calm Atmosphere
Cons
Not enough hours, Low pay
Positive work enviorment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Township of Brick, NJJanuary 23, 2018
Barnes & Noble is a wonderful place to work as a starter job. Though they do have room for advancement eventually in the future as positions open up to the workers, mostly hiring from within.
Great environment but not the best pay
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 23, 2018
Could definitely pay better for their baristas. Hours are flexible and management is great. People are the best, but the pay is next to nothing. I work harder then a normal Starbucks worker and get paid practically half
Pros
Great Schedule
Cons
The pay is awful
Horrible place to work
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHJanuary 19, 2018
Management would have no problem going behind your back and cutting your hours if you had an altercation with them. Little to no respect from management. Don't get me wrong there were definitely some amazing managers who I worked with, but the other awful ones left a mark and made me dread every shift. To the point where I would feel worthless and not even part of their "team".
Productive with a great atmosphere
Barista/Cashier/Server (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJanuary 13, 2018
The people you work with are so patient and tolerant because they know there is a lot to grasp at first when you start. At first it will feel overwhelming but the moment you get the hang of things, your confidence will build up and you will be looking forward to learning more and more, and become even more useful.
Fast paced job
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Newnan, GAJanuary 11, 2018
Barnes n Noble Café is a good job for part timers. If you are still in school or not scheduling is done if not two weeks in advance one. When working you must be punctual and willing to work. The line gets long and it can be stressful but by all means its a great job!
I wish they would offer a competitive wage
Barista (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDJanuary 9, 2018
A competitve wage makes it much easier to put all your focus on the task at hand instead of worrying about how many hours you will need to pay your bills. at the time i made almost half of what a starbucks barista made even though I had to make all the same drinks and even more food than starbucks
A nice place to work
BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 5, 2018
It was a nice place to work,the managers are kind and caring and they offer cross training when a person is fully trained in their job assignments a great place for part-time work,
Fun and entertaining job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHJanuary 3, 2018
A typical day included taking customers food and drink orders, baking, and cleaning around the cafe and in the dining room. It's a great place to work with great co-workers and super fun!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K