Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Barista

Stressful, No Advancement
Café Barista (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, CODecember 8, 2017
Not really any room for advancement unless you had been working with the company for years.

Kept just between 30 to 40 hours to make sure they didn't have to offer benefits.

Very strict on making sure everything is perfect but are strict on no over time.
I miss working here
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJDecember 7, 2017
It was always fun to go into work and be greeted by the work family. The other Baristas were amazing and the assistant store manager at the time was absolutely phenomenal! The only part of the job that was difficult would have been the rushes, but once you get good enough at the job it's not so bad.
Pros
discounted products, decent break times
Cons
lack of staffing
Best Place
Barista (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 5, 2017
Barnes and Noble is the best place to work if you're a student. Super flexible hours, great discounts, and the greatest employees and managers! I love working at Barnes and Noble
Fine if you need something to do
Barista (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 18, 2017
They pay so far below other employers, but honestly the job is ridiculously easy. It's impossible to get fired, so sometimes you have to work with people who are slightly unpleasant or who don't care. But it's very slow paced, standards are really low. If you don't need money, and you just want to fill hours in your day and you don't mind having a lot of time to think, it's not terrible. Most of management just seems bored, and they don't care very much.
Pros
slow, easy work
Cons
bad pay
books
Café Lead/Barista (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHNovember 12, 2017
Fun place to work for a college kid just working to get through school. Nice discounts on books, food and drink. A unique working experience and environment.
Best job I've had so far.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 9, 2017
It was fun, weekdays were always fun to work since it was so dead (It was dead because it was inside a mall but I do know the store itself is quite full most times) my coworkers are great and management as well. The pay in Miami is starting 9 per hour and they add 25 cents to your paycheck every year you stay there.
Pros
Discount on Food + Books
Fun place with Great People.
Barista (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PANovember 8, 2017
Being a cafe server is not hard, but it is a lot of work the drinks are not very hard to make and even if you are stuck you have many people to support you. There will be times where you will be frustrated, even overwhelmed but you will not be alone, everyone there even the book sellers are there to help you.
Pros
Fantastic people, employee discounts, and a chance to be creative with the drinks.
Cons
It can be physically taxing, the job is not hard, but their is much to do.
Nice job, worth the dicsounts
Cafe Barista (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INOctober 23, 2017
I love books, working here was alot of fun. The co-workers were the best part. I enjoyed talking with different customers as well on new books/products. The fundraisers and other events that were held in store are a fun change to the everyday pace of work. All in all a great place to work for.
Pretty awesome job!
Bookseller/Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COOctober 15, 2017
Honestly, it if weren't for the pay I would have stayed with Barnes and Noble. I really loved it! It was fun working with people to find books and my coworkers were all very kind. Even management was pretty relaxed overall with very little micro-managing.
Immersive if you're a book lover
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 12, 2017
I really enjoyed working here, even as a barista. The cafe management was terrible, but the store's main management was wonderful, and I'd often rely on them. My coworkers were like family, everyone was very supportive. It was busy day and night, especially during holidays. My cafe manager verbally harassed me, on a number of occasions. The last straw was when she pulled me into her office, for 3 hours, and berated me on anything and everything. I put in my two weeks right then and there. I would have absolutely loved to stay, but my cafe manager made it so difficult for me. The atmosphere was so wonderful, I loved learning about new books that were coming out, and events that were held were always uplifting and interesting. We got a small discount on books and other merchandise, but cafe drinks or food were not free or discounted.
Pros
Awesome environment, perfect for book lovers
Cons
cafe management was very lacking, extremely catty behavior.
Balanced between demands and rewards.
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAOctober 2, 2017
Like with most any job you can find something to complain about, sure, with this job it's no different. That being said, if you're complaining you are either lazy or insecure. The managers are fair and helpful, showing real care for their employers as well as their customers. Customers are diverse, you'll find overly enjoyable regulars and randoms as well as the occasional nightmare. I highly enjoyed my time here and sure you CAN as well.
Good Work Culture
Barista (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 28, 2017
Barnes and Noble takes care of their employees. It is a good place to work and you will feel valued by your employers. Working in the cafe can be stressful but fun as well.
A Decent Starting Job
Barista (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTSeptember 26, 2017
I had worked at the Barnes & Noble Cafe for a while. I felt that the Cafe I worked in was having constant managerial issues, and the managers I have had were more focused on selling their product instead of treating customers like fellow human beings. It was a structure that was efficient in making money, but was not the right attitude for me.
Cons
We were not allowed to accept tips.
Preping
Barista (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CASeptember 19, 2017
Very fast paced, and ready to make orders in a timely manner. Learned people really love their coffee. Management could have been more interactive. Workplace was very driven. Hardest part was always wanting to help one more. I enjoyed keeping a well kept area at all times.
Workplace review
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2017
Typical day at work is greeting customers and making drinks.

The management was not good, they were only thinking about the business and not the employees.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers.
Fun relaxing workplace
Cafe Barista (Former Employee) –  Redding, CASeptember 15, 2017
Good place for a first job or a job for a college student. The management culture is great, and the Barnes & Noble employees try to make new workers feel welcome.
Great workplace with great coworkers
Café as a barista (Current Employee) –  Calabasas, CASeptember 14, 2017
The people are all great. However, the pay and benefits just don't match the hard work that is put in daily. Closing shifts are often elongated and there are big rushes that come in.
Pros
breaks, friendly workers, safe and convenient atmosphere
Cons
low pay, lots of constant work
The Greatest Job on Earth
Bookseller/Cashier/Receiver/Barista/Lead/Manager (Former Employee) –  Portage, MISeptember 12, 2017
I love this company to it's core. The management I had, the coworkers, the training, the salary/pay, the benefits, EVERYTHING. This is the best job I have ever had, and I am currently trying to get back into the company. It is a positive work place with encouraging peers and fair pay and hours.
Good to start out
Temporary Barista (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 12, 2017
I was only temporary, but this job taught me the basics of serving coffee and pastries, which allowed me to make advancements in this career. The espresso machines are automatic so steaming and pulling shots are simplified, allowing for basic knowledge.
Pros
multiple breaks, Barnes discounts
Cons
fast paced
A comfortable place to do your job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLAugust 30, 2017
If your willing to work the job it will be a breeze. Very simple to understand, just takes time. Organizing books n movement are the only sorta bad things. Management and coworkers are respectful and non-judgmental.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.