Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Barista

Found 361 reviews matching the search See all 4,006 reviews
Barista
Barista/Cafe (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CADecember 8, 2018
I was a barista for the cafe in Barns and Noble. I would have to make the drinks and also food, when ordered. I handled all transactions and cleaned. I learned to do inventory.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay
Relaxed place to work with great people
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Loveland, CODecember 4, 2018
The workers at Barnes and Noble are interesting to get to know and incredibly committed to their jobs. Management is often not as involved as they should be and is usually unsupportive.
Fun workplace, great people
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 27, 2018
I've only been with Barnes and Noble for a few months now but I feel this has been enough time for me to get a fair assessment of the atmosphere at least. Coworkers and management are great and get along well with each other. Everyone is seen as equally important. Coworkers often hang out outside of work and actually enjoy each other's company! I would best describe this as being a family atmosphere because everyone is very supportive of one another and everyone is very important.

The only complaint I have is that the policy on food waste is insane--the food that is wasted is not donated to those who need it or free for people to take. Instead, it has to be meticulously recorded and promptly thrown away by a manager.
Pros
Good discounts on the entire store, family atmosphere
Cons
Low pay, waste policies on food
Positive environment and wonderful culture
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZNovember 15, 2018
The moment I started at Barnes and Noble, I knew it was something special. The managers understood that mistakes were part of a learning curve and didn’t expect complete perfection right off the bat. Everyone there is really kind, and the pacing is a lot easier to handle than traditional retail or food service.
Pros
Good break policy, wonderful environment, employee discount
Cons
Employee discount is actually a bit low, you kinda get stuck part-time
Great 2nd job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARNovember 13, 2018
Doesn't have enough hours. The discounts are very nice. There are several managers some are nice others are questionable not. very fast paced training.
Pros
discounts
Cons
management
Lose Lose Situation
BARISTA / CAFÉ SERVER (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 12, 2018
My B&N has a very high turn over rate in terms of employee employment length. However, I think this not only has to do with amazon's overhaul of popular products making them more available at a more affordable price. Barnes and nobles also doesn't pay their workers enough to stick around especially knowing there is no room for career advancement as also mentioned in the hiring interview.
Pros
30 percent discount almost store-wide
Cons
No perks, benefits, vacation, Pto, Ot, etc
Fun environment and a lot of tasks
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CANovember 9, 2018
Being a part of the Barnes and Noble environment is fun but stressful. You have to make sure that all tasks are met but the co-workers are fantastic! Everyone is supportive and willing to work with you. As long as you work hard as well.
Pros
Fun environment and co-workers
Cons
None that I can think of
Pretty easy job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Allen Park, MINovember 7, 2018
Sadly was let go after not even completing training but the job was not hard at all it's extremely simple baking, making drinks/food, using a very complex register
Pros
Discounts on whole store
Cons
Don't give people a chance
Overall Okay but No Tips and No Scheduling Website
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 3, 2018
I liked my job as a barista starting out, but my dislike of the company quickly overtook me. We’re forced to throw out food that is “going bad” and aren’t allowed to take it home. We only get a 30% discount and we rarely ever get tips because Barnes and Noble thinks that tip jars “look bad”.
The scheduling system is horrendous. There’s no online system because they’re currently “in between” services. You have to go in the store, in person, to write down the days you want off and even then managers can overlook them and schedule you anyway.
I loved working with customers and making drinks, however I very much disliked a lot of the company decisions. It was a good place to work at- the managers were nice, but for me personally it wasn’t a good fit.
Pros
30% off on store 20% off audio
Cons
No tip jar, horrible scheduling system
Fast-paced, high energy book haven
Barista in the cafe (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 29, 2018
I've been working for Barnes and Noble for over two years now and I don't intend on leaving. I am a book lover, and the store's emphasis is putting a book in the customer's hand, and having a conversation about it. This is exactly how it should be, and I love it.

The hardships are there, but most days they are manageable.
Pros
Discount on bookfloor AND cafe
Cons
Thin staff most evenings/some busy days

Want to know more about Barnes & Noble?

Ask a question
It's been a while.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Montgomeryville, PAOctober 23, 2018
I honestly don't remember much of working there. I was just a wee lad. I just remember that everything was really expensive, I had to pay if I wanted any coffee even though I never did (yes I stole espresso), and my immediate manager was super chill and stole coffee with me.
Pros
like a 20% discount I think
Cons
no free coffee
Productive and fast paced.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYOctober 23, 2018
Working at Barnes and Noble is a great job. It is fast paced but if it is a slow day we are able to get other important things done. The company is very family oriantatedas well.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Its a distance from my home
little hours
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 20, 2018
when getting a part time job at the cafe at barnes and nobles, understand you wont be able to live off that unless you are in high school living with your parents
Pros
30% discount at barnes and nobles
Cons
little hours
Barista (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAOctober 16, 2018
There's kind of a family feel with the employees here. I did end leaving because I needed to be earning more, but the job itself and my coworkers were great.
Fast paced but relaxed setting
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 14, 2018
Cafe is typically busy during the mornings and during lunch hours as you tend to have many regulars who arrive to the mall to walk in the morning and mall employees stop by for a coffee or lunch break throughout the day. Always something to work on and to help keep clean. Frequent interaction with book floor staff and decent discounts on food and goods.
Pros
Discounts, relaxed work environment, able to build good report with regular customers
Cons
Very public space to constantly on the lookout for suspicious activity, daily reminders that cafe was unable to accept Starbucks reward/gift cards
Relaxing and fun place to work!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 5, 2018
I loved this job! The employees are great, the discount is SO worth it, and the hours are mostly minimal, which is both good and bad. It was a relaxing environment, except through the holidays, when it gets crazy like most retail places. It's a fun place to work, and I definitely recommend it!
Not worthwhile
Barista (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 3, 2018
While I was there, management was a drug addict who has since been fired, but who was borderline abusive to minimum wage employees. Nice to talk to regular customers, though
Absolutely loved working here
Barista (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIOctober 2, 2018
The people at Barnes and Noble were the best part. We were like a little community. The job was very easy and fast-paced. The management was excellent. I have no complaints there. I would recommend working here to anyone.
Great Job
barista, deliver samples and operate cash register (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 29, 2018
Everyone works well together and looks out for each other. The managers care about the workers and they train them extensively. It is a safe and clean environment.
Pros
discounts
A great job.
server & Barista (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WA 98072September 27, 2018
Good training culture, they make sure you're equipped to actually doing things without throwing you on the ropes. Relaxed environment, and I never had any concerns of not physically being able to keep the store stocked or to satisfy all the customers, which I've dealt with before. Great working culture as well, although there's some gossip (but where isn't there workplace gossip, really?)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K