Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Barista

Review
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Allen Park, MIJune 18, 2018
Barnes and Noble was not a terrible place to work, but the manager was not the best and I couldn't take that they cut everyone's hours. The dress code was very linnet so that was nice!
People were great to work with.
Barista (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAJune 14, 2018
I had a lot of fun working at the Cafe. The people were great and every day was different. Learning the ropes of the machines and the cash register were interesting and something that I will have forever. The customers were always nice. The fast paced atmosphere was challenging at times but overall rewarding.
Pros
discount
Cons
no benefits
Relaxed, Easy Job
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKJune 14, 2018
Relaxed, easy environment. As long as you did your job duties, you could read, hang out, and basically just maintain the cafe. Everyone is very friendly and helpful.
Fair work place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 14, 2018
A decent place to work and overall experience staff with little hiccups in knowing what to do. They were friendly and helpful willing to show me how to do my job along the way.
Very low stress job, but very low pay and wasnt given enough hours
Barista (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 12, 2018
While this job was very easy to do after having over a year of experience at an actual Starbucks, it was very low paying, offered very few hours and had no opportunity to increase either of these.
Pros
low stress
Cons
low pay, few hours, lonely
Productive Work Environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2018
Working at Barnes & Noble is a fun relaxing experience. Most managers are respectful and understanding of your personal life. Working in the Cafe area can be hectic and busy sometimes but in all employees here know how to work together in a team to keep the store in place and organized
Cafe Barista
Barista (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJune 8, 2018
This job was actually a lot more work than advertised and personally i felt that the pay was too low for the amount of work you had to keep up with. Regardless, i did enjoy the job but the shifts were only four hours long when I worked there.
A good job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Hillsdale, CAJune 1, 2018
Great people too work with, the cafe manager was very flexible with hours. Have to stay on your toes to keep everything clean and organized. I would recommend this job to a friend.
work enviroment
BARISTA AND BOOK FLOOR (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 1, 2018
This was a fun place to work for a part-time job. There was great discounts and a very friendly work environment. It is a very laid back and casual place to work
ok place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NC 28805May 25, 2018
The Barnes and Noble Cafe is an ok place to work. The people and position can provide a fun work environment. However, this is the only Barista position I've had that doesn't allow tips. so you will probably earn minimum wage.

Want to know more about Barnes & Noble?

Ask a question
Fun and fast paced
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAMay 21, 2018
Barnes and Noble was fast paced but very laid back. Once you got the flow of things it became fairly easy to work. Its a perfect job for anyone. Especially if you love books
Ok place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 20, 2018
Okay place to work but needs more pay and more hours management was very good to the workers very understanding and fair workplace was kind of stressful
Slow paced
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CAMay 10, 2018
Typical day was opening the store, baking, prepping, and display management. Worst part of the job was hands down the management. They treated employees awful, wrecked work when an employee didn't finish on time. Another manager was constantly saying terrible things about almost every employee.
Pros
Relaxing
Best Place I Have Worked
Cafe Barista (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 4, 2018
The Barnes and Noble in Midland was one of the best work experiences I have had so far. I loved the people I worked with and the management. They try very hard to work with you on scheduling and any life events that may come up.
Pros
Benefits for part-time
Cons
Short lunch break
Poor work environment, management does not care
Barista (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 4, 2018
This would have been a good job had the manager cared about doing more than the absolute bare minimum. The people hired while I was there ended up being terrible and then ended up being fired because the manager only cared about having a warm body in the positions instead of looking into hiring good employees. He did not care if the store was severely understaffed. The easiest part of the job was dealing with the customers and the most difficult was dealing with management. It is very obvious that the company is slowly dwindling and going under by how little they pay their employees and how they only offer benefits to their full-time employees.
Pros
Discounts on books and Nooks and things
Cons
Management, work environment
Fun work place with a tight knit team who is always willing to accept new employees!
Cashier/Bookseller/Barista (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMay 3, 2018
I always enjoyed going into work. Over all, it is a pretty quiet atmosphere with the occasional riveting conversation between a customer and an employee about the latest book release. I learned a lot about how to care for customers and balance a lot of different tasks at once. The management team is always training and preparing employees to move up in their status with the company. That is perhaps both the most difficult and most rewarding part of the job.
Pros
frequent free lunches, large break room with lockers and locks, fun atmosphere on the floor
Cons
short breaks, short hours
Love this place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Jensen Beach, FLMay 3, 2018
This is a great place to work, laid back and everyone is friendly. Lots of independence and some awesome food options compared to the typical Starbucks. Also discounts on books!
If you love books and coffee you'll be alright
Barista (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNApril 29, 2018
A great place to be if you like books. However, you are often working alone in the cafe, but back up is available. Lots of things to remember pertaining to baking pastries and making coffee.
Pros
good discount on books and food
Cons
detailed work, repetitive background music
Relaxed workplace if work done right
Barista (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLApril 27, 2018
The workers are very friendly. Makes working at Barnes & Noble bearable, but be sure to do your tasks. They will get on your case, if needed. Learning the drink recipes are easy after a week or two, and the "rush" isn't that bad. I've seen/worked worse.
Chill but Sometimes too Corporate
Barista and Server (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 19, 2018
I liked working here. All my coworkers were chill the management was decent although they would sometimes get worked up over sales which is understandable but for a PT college student I didn't care enough to feel bad that we weren't selling because of Amazon. Most of the money is coming from the books so I don't know why they'd pressure the Barista's into upselling .40 cent coffee cups.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K