Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews for Barista

Don't listen to their "promises"
CAFE BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 19, 2018
Started as a barista at the store and didn't get an opportunity to advance. I wanted to become a bookseller. I bent over backwards for the company and reaped no rewards. Sad. The management was always changing and it was hard for anyone to love the store owner. All other managers on duty were nice and helpful.
Pros
30% off everything, easy to change days, happy environment
Cons
Management changes, no promised followed through, very stressful.
Not bad, just stressful
Barista (Former Employee) –  Newington, NHSeptember 16, 2018
Although I was only there a short time, it was a stressful job. Often I was working alone during rushes and my manager was a distraction. It was useful that a lot of others in the store were understanding when they ordered or when I needed an extra bit of help during rushes.
Great first job!
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 15, 2018
It was a great job for my first time working however the pay was very low. We did not get free meals during shifts and we could not take food after closing even if they were to get tossed.
Pros
great experience
Cons
no free lunches or drinks, low pay
Fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WISeptember 12, 2018
This was one of my most favorite part time jobs. I enjoyed the work and my co-workers were great to work with. The woman that trained me was super nice and patient, and made sure I was doing ok even when she wasn't working. Would recommend to anyone looking for a stimulating part time position.
Easy starter job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJSeptember 5, 2018
A good place to start your work experience. Working in the cafe, you do have room to move up but takes time like with most places of employment. You'll find that the staff is more enjoyable than the job itself.
the people are extremely nice
Hold a Barista and a Server Title (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CASeptember 4, 2018
Barnes and Noble is a nice place to work. The people are fun and it is a very team oriented place. It is a fast-paced environment and you have to work well under pressure.
Pros
the team!
Cons
lack of advancement to grow
Entertaining Environment!
CAFÉ BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 3, 2018
I worked for Barnes and Noble as a barista at the cafe. The job is amazing for expressing yourself through your art (in his case is making coffee)! The managers are amazing and the training is very detailed. As long as you take the craft seriously, it is an AWESOME gig.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Physically Taxing
Fun workplace
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCSeptember 1, 2018
Its a great enviroment. Management is friendly. Understanding to a point. Its fun to work there. The other employees are friendly and helpful. It like one big family.
Great place to work, friendly staff
Barista (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 27, 2018
Great place to work. Loads of different position. Cafe hours are great, as well as the book seller position. Super friendly staff. Great management team.
Productive and Fun
Café Server/Barista (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 16, 2018
Keeps you on the move for the most part regardless if its busy or not. Recommend as a starter job to help develop customer service skills and ability to multi-task.
So Not Worth It
Barista/Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 13, 2018
I started out in the cafe. I was trained well and the cafe management was great. The problem? Although I was getting paid minimum wage, I was doing what the managers were doing, but without the benefits. When the managers weren’t there, I was told by the bookfloor and general managers to call/write in and put away the orders, call mechanics, and other things I had no training on. There also were many, many times that I was in the cafe all by myself for an hour at a time during a rush. Twice just happened to be when the food and milk order came. Even the regulars started to notice.
Besides that craziness, the closing shift would always be 3:00-10:30, or 11:00. There is too much to do to close up the cafe with only 2 people.
When I finally got the chance to remain in the bookfloor, someone left in the cafe, and I was told to cover for them. This happened not only for the day to day coverage, but I ended up only getting shifts in the cafe because so many people had left the company.
On the flip side, the bookfloor was fun!
Pros
Discounts, easy access to coffee, the “book smell”
Cons
Long hours with little help, not enough pay for the work for someone who DOES NOT DO THE MINIMUM.
Bookish Downfall
Barista/Cafe Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 8, 2018
I absolutely love working at Barnes and Noble, the only downside is, its a dying company. There are a few Barnes and Noble that will still for a couple more years but unfortunately the store I am currently working at, will not. It is a great if you're looking for something temporary and put on your resume.
Pros
30% off books and cafe
Cons
Few hours, unless during holiday season
Fun experience.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 6, 2018
I loved it here. Many of pros that come with this job. Just not a high chance of advancement; especially when trying to make a living. The employees and customers that you see during each shift is the best part of working here.
Pros
Make your own drinks with a great discount, great area, friendly people, etc.
Cons
Over staffed, very low pay, chain corporate company, etc.
They drive good people away.
Cafe Lead Barista (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDJuly 30, 2018
I worked in the Cafe. I enjoyed the work for the most part. The Cafe Manager was exceptional when I worked there. They were extremely understanding as an individual, and tried to be fair to everyone. The Cafe manager also gave everyone a chance to be candid with them, and wanted to make sure everyone was comfortable in his/her position in the Cafe. This is the only reason I gave any stars to the "Management" portion.

However, every other manager I dealt with was very distrustful of me specifically. How can you expect your employees to do their best and want to be at work if you have a manager hovering over your shoulder, watching your every move? Given, I was a new employee at the time, but they treated me like I was shady, and like I didn't earn my place in lower level management. Little to no respect was given to me. I understand respect must be earned, but I didn't do anything to lose it in the first place. I felt targeted.

There's also entirely too much going on during rushes. There are approx. 15-20 timers constantly going off at varying times. It's hard to focus on customer service/making drinks and food when you all you can hear is incessant beeping. Very distracting and overwhelming at times.

Also, the managers were extremely focused on an employee's monetary value to the company. I understand wanting your employees to upsell as much as possible, but it got to the point where they would lecture me for not selling enough. It's a cafe. People want coffee, not dinner, at least most people. I feel they could be more aware of who they're selling to. They would bring
  more... back sales receipts once an hour, telling us we're not selling enough food or add-ons. As if we can completely control what people are buying. I ended up feeling like a number, not a person.

I don't feel it's a bad company to work for. Perhaps it's a different experience at other locations. For me, I just wasn't happy there. That's not to say it hasn't changed, but who knows.
Pros
Good amount of break time, discounts on just about everything.
Cons
Management!
Barnes and Noble
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 27, 2018
Barnes and noble was an enjoyable place to work, simple job that comes with the benefits of books and coffee. the employers of Barnes and noble (at least at the time I applied) are willing to hire those with little to no experience which is greatly appreciated.
Cons
Wavering Managment
I loved it here
Café Barista (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 23, 2018
Barnes and nobel is a great place to work. I learned so much goid for starting out maybe not a career if you like money. If you love to read need a second income then this is for you. Pop cultuer relavent enviorment so find your inner nerd and someone will relate.
Pros
Free books early releases exclusive content
Cons
Bad hours
way too demanding & horrible pay compared to any other cafe!
Cafe Barista (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJuly 15, 2018
so demanding and too much work not worth minimum wage!!! management is very demanding and expect too much and disregard the fact that you’re simply a minimum waged employee!
Pros
30% off bookstore.
Cons
very poor pay. poor coverage.
Okay
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 12, 2018
Not the best job ever, but good enough. Not very much room for growth. The company is tanking, so I would advise looking elsewhere. You do get some pretty nice employee perks, though.
Stressful work environment
Barista, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 10, 2018
While a lot of the people at this location were super nice the amount of customers served hourly for the cafe is terrifying. they'll work you 39.5 hours a week so they don't need to give you benefits.
It was nice while it lasted
Barista (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 9, 2018
Any gripes I could have of the job were entirely my own fault. They treated me kindly, and with the exception of a few bad customers, I loved working there. Shame that they only gave me a few hours a week.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K