Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Good atmosphere. Overworked employees.
BOOKSELLER (Former Employee) –  West Dundee, ILJuly 17, 2018
A shift at Barnes & Noble was typically relaxed and enjoyable. The hours were flexible, but the longer I worked there the more cuts there were. I was continuously given more responsibility within the workplace and cross-trained in all departments, but received no increase in pay.
Pros
Atmosphere, fellow employees
Cons
Underpaid
Great benefits if you are management
Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAJuly 17, 2018
My years at Barnes and Noble were great mostly because I was in management. Many benefits have been taken away from part time employees, and it is difficult to provide enough hours for most employees.
Pros
Full time benefits
Cons
No part time benefits
was good for being a student
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 16, 2018
not too many hours, most weeks i did less that 15 hours total and when i did work it was either very slow paced or non-stop chaotic customers. But overall I enjoyed the experience the people I worked with were pleasant.
Ok
Book seller (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 16, 2018
This was a great place to work. Everyone that I encountered there was very professional. It's a shame I had to move or I'd still be working there to this day. Amazing benefits.
You get along with everybody
Part-Time Bookseller (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJuly 16, 2018
The workers are very nice. You feel like you can talk to people. Customers are friendly when they want to be. You have no room to advance. You do not have benefits unless you are full time, which is only managers. You do not get paid time off or paid sick days.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No healthcare
Relaxed
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 15, 2018
Working for Barnes and Noble was great. It was a very relaxed environment and the coworkers were very helpful and understanding. It is a good job for people who love being around books.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not many hours available.
way too demanding & horrible pay compared to any other cafe!
Cafe Barista (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJuly 15, 2018
so demanding and too much work not worth minimum wage!!! management is very demanding and expect too much and disregard the fact that you’re simply a minimum waged employee!
Pros
30% off bookstore.
Cons
very poor pay. poor coverage.
Barnes and Noble Bookseller
Part-Time Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 14, 2018
As a part-time bookseller at Barnes and Noble Bookseller, I loved my job. I would at the cash register frequently which I enjoyed greatly, as well as in various parts of the store reorganizing and restocking. I especially enjoyed working in the Children's Book Area and helping parents find books for their children. A great deal of time was spent reshelving and straightening books which I found satisfying as I am a very neat person by nature.
Pros
Getting to see all the new arrivals come in and the discount
Educational
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 14, 2018
Working at Barnes and Noble is a very educational experience for me. The staff there are friendly and welcome you with open arms. You not only build friendships there but strong bonds that will never be broken. At times the job can be very fast paced while other times it can be quite relaxing.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Very little pay with inconsistent hours per week
Sinking Ship
Digital Sales Lead, Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJuly 13, 2018
I luckily left before things started to get very terrible and my position was eliminated. Don't start a career at Barnes and Noble . Corporate is gutting the stores and leaving them with bare-bones crews, creating a very stressful work environment.
Okay
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 12, 2018
Not the best job ever, but good enough. Not very much room for growth. The company is tanking, so I would advise looking elsewhere. You do get some pretty nice employee perks, though.
book learning
CSA (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARJuly 12, 2018
work with friendly people who helped teach you how to do different jobs, it helped me understand more about subjects i didn't know everything about and a great environment.
Loved working at B&N
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJuly 12, 2018
Liked the flexibility, learned how to categorize and stock the books, worked well with the staff and loved working with the customers. This by far was my favorite job. The hardest part of the job was getting your work done before going home. The most enjoyable part was meeting the customers and hearing about their book experiences
Pros
Meeting the customers
Cons
Not being able to meet the customers needs because it was out of stock
Great store culture, great customers, recommend this company
Children's Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAJuly 11, 2018
My full-time position consists of setting up/taking down/refreshing displays, customer service, planning and hosting store events, and recovering the sales floor. Even though the staff is always pretty busy, everyone is almost always in a good mood, and the management team is approachable and empathetic. Being around books and talking about them all day is a huge plus. MY least favorite part of the job was all the recovery that was needed on top of juggling behind-the-scenes projects - most days, I wish there were at least five of me to get it all done! Full-time people receive good benefits, and the in-store discount is fair.
You are surrounded by books.
Community Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Allen Park, MIJuly 11, 2018
For somebody who loves books and does not want to make a career out of a Barnes & Noble than this place is perfect for you.Great customer service experience although slightly disorganized and fluctuating management at the moment.
Pros
Discount on books and Cafe
Cons
Transition to more of a money making and less focus on working with employees
Good Benefits
Sales and Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 11, 2018
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity employer. For a full time employee they provide good benefits. Among these benefits are health, dental and vision insurance and a 401K option. A store discount and paid time off are also included.
BNC-- the ideal college student employment
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 11, 2018
I love my job at the bookstore. Our campus is small and we don't have much for student affairs, so we are a low volume store with only 3 employees but I would recommend to every college student to apply for their bookstores since it is a convenient and flexible job that is very understanding of the working conditions needed for a healthy college schedule.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay
Fun co-workers, terrible business
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJuly 10, 2018
I adore the people I work with in the store, and even the customers aren't bad compared to other retail experiences I have had, but the company doesn't care for it's employees. We are consistently expected to meet demands that we have not been allotted enough payroll for. Earlier this year they laid off many of our full-time employees so they wouldn't have to pay them benefits, which left us under-staffed and under-trained. I was expected to take on the responsibilities of my supervisor on top of my own, with no prior notice and no pay increase. Then an employee with the same position at another store got pregnant and asked for health insurance, but they didn't want to pay for that so they cut her hours AND mine (and every other receiver, I hear) and now I can't afford to pay my rent.
This was my dream job, I love books and I loved this job, but I can no longer work for a company that so blatantly disrespects their employees.
Pros
Discount on books, fun and friendly employees
Cons
Everything else, this company hates it's employees
Used to be a great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MAJuly 10, 2018
No day is typical. Everyday is different. Customer focused company but lack or hours/staffing makes it difficult to tend to customers and complete tasks required daily. I have learned a lot about my ability to persevere and get the job done. Hardest part of my job is staying positive in the current situation of the company. Retaining staff and keeping people motivated is becoming increasingly more difficult.
It is what you make it
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed working for B&N very much. A typical day would include anything from putting out and/or folding merchandise to spending an entire shift behind a register. I personally enjoyed a very busy day with customers.
Pros
flexible hours, consistent breaks
Cons
no cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K