Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Technical
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 23, 2018
Barnes & Noble was interesting in that we were supporting a product that was very new to Barnes & Noble and it had a feel of learning as you go as a company.
Pros
Cutting edge technology
Cons
Did not pay well at all
One of the best
CSR & TECH Support (Former Employee) –  manila philippinesApril 23, 2018
Much fun at work, A lot of team buildings, more incentives for agents. I was able to bring my family during their family day at work, which is I think fun and interactive.
Pros
free movie tickets
Cons
queing
its an average place, could be a lot better.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NJApril 21, 2018
could use a lot of updating, and more professional personnel. overall it is not a bad job, they could pay a little more than they do, but its not bad depending on the gender.
Every day was productive and fun to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2018
I liked the work environment and how they always had something to do. Game days were the busiest and the managers were very understandable about having class time and study time before coming into work.
Pros
Starbucks in the store
Cons
Not enough pay
productive
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonds, WAApril 21, 2018
Worked as supervisor at the college bookstore. Quickly learned closing/opening registers and cash balance. It was nice atmosphere and good student environment.
Pros
discount
Cons
n/a
Great job for college students
Cashier (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDApril 20, 2018
It was a temporary job. It is a great job for college students. I was a bookseller at the University of Maryland Bookstore for nearly 12 hours a week. I did a lot of stuff inside the bookstore as restocking merchandise, process textbook orders, and cashier and answer customer questions when needed. The hardest job in this bookstore is handling customers complaints, especially busy days such as textbook rush or admissions. The most enjoyable part of the job is restocking merchandise and straightening up, especially slow days.
Pros
20% discount on clothes, textbooks, etc.
Cons
Short breaks
Chill but Sometimes too Corporate
Barista and Server (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 19, 2018
I liked working here. All my coworkers were chill the management was decent although they would sometimes get worked up over sales which is understandable but for a PT college student I didn't care enough to feel bad that we weren't selling because of Amazon. Most of the money is coming from the books so I don't know why they'd pressure the Barista's into upselling .40 cent coffee cups.
Human resources
HUMAN RESOURECE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJApril 19, 2018
Great work environment, great work balance.

Great employee driven initiatives.( Holiday parties, company picnics)

then they moved to NJ, company changed
Pros
Cons
Moved to NJ
Fun work environment
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 19, 2018
I worked at Barnes and Noble while I was in college, and it was a wonderful experience. I loved meeting new people and helping others. I liked the responsibilities that I had, and would definitely recommend this company to others.
Pros
Fair break times
Cons
No advancement
Great retail job
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Grosse Pointe, MIApril 19, 2018
If you are part detective, mind reader and customer service oriented, this could be a good fit for you. You will wear a variety of hats; sometimes you might cashier, other times you will work customer service, shelving stock, or reorganizing stock, the job changes hourly which makes it fast paced and fun. Great benefits, including a generous employee discount, paid vacations, and healthcare.
Decent
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 18, 2018
Management definitely played favorites with some of the workers. Never felt like the older workers did wrong and often tried to scare the new and temporary workers to do work while everyone else relaxed.
Barnes and Noble
Head Cashier/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Harker Heights TexasApril 18, 2018
I enjoyed working at B&N it was very fast paced, always a task to accomplish, I was hired as a bookseller and within 2 months I was promoted to head cashier. I trained all new hires and was their back-up , I arthorized aborts, returns, cash pick-ups and anything else they needed help with. I would also cover MOD when they were on the lunches and breaks.I always backed-up our B&N Cafe.I believe in the best customer service going that extra mile or just taking the time to listen to our customers.
Pros
30 minute lunch and breaks employee discount
Cons
not enough coverage on the book floor
My experience at Barnes and Nobles
Barista (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAApril 18, 2018
Show up for my shift, put my apron on and do what needs to be done, whether that is restocking cups, shelves, or baked goods ect. Take customer orders, cashier and clean up the cafe. Management was decent and organized. Workplace culture was very open. Hardest part of the job was balancing baking with helping customers. The most enjoyable part was seeing many familiar faces on the daily, working beside sweet and fun coworkers and working in a family built environment.
Pros
sweet coworkers, chill work environment
Company not willing to advance with the times
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJApril 18, 2018
Company relies on antiquated systems to maintain small profit margin in a world that relies on technology. Company lays off often to compensate for lost of profitability.
Pros
Some people, benefits
Cons
Time off, Senior Management without college education, lack of foresight
Good if you like books, bad if you don't like people
Bookseller, Digital Specialist (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAApril 18, 2018
Barnes and Noble is a fun place to work if you enjoy reading. Most employees are nice, and good to chat with. The only downside was pay. Raises are yearly, and only 10 cents. If you don't like helping people find things or recommending book/movies/music to people, this business is not for you.
Pros
Good books, staff, customers
Cons
Low pay, some customers are bad
Not a place to advance
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAApril 18, 2018
The company struggles with high turnover and inability to give workers the hours they need. Stores are closing at an alarming rate, and I would not recommend seeking employment there.
It's bookselling, but it's retail
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Broomall, PAApril 18, 2018
Barnes and Noble is going through a tough time right now. They recently erased all their full time positions and let go the employees except store and assistant managers. Corporate seems to think it's reasonable to spread part-time employees more thinly across more work with wider responsibilities and still operate efficiently, but it's not working.

Barnes and Noble needs to figure out whether it's more interested in "making it work" and "making the sale" or in being a company that delivers a realistic sales experience and service within its means, taking care of its employees rather than blaming them for shortcomings when the slashing of staff came from higher management.
A company that cares more about the bottom line than their employees
Bookseller/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLApril 17, 2018
When I started working at Barnes & Noble, I was excited to work for a company that seemed to work hard to create a positive experience for both customers and employees. But over the last decade, I've seen staff, hours, and benefits get cut and positions be eliminated. The company is clearly trying to do the same amount of work with fewer employees, which leaves everyone stressed and unhappy. We all do the best we can, and most of the time, customers appreciate that. I have the privilege of working with some great people, and when things are running smoothly, everyone is happy. Ultimately, it's retail, so the kind of day you have depends a lot on the customers. Just be prepared to hear a lot of people say "I'll just order it off Amazon."

If you love books, it's a great place to see what's new, and talk to like-minded individuals, and employees are allowed to "check out" hardcover titles to read for 2 weeks. They also get a 50% discount on drinks and food in the cafe, which is unquestionably everyone's favorite perk. If you're looking for medical benefits though, they're only offered to full time employees now, and there are exceedingly few full time positions left.
Pros
50% cafe discount, 30% discount on books
Cons
No benefits, variable hours, low pay
A nice part-time job.
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 17, 2018
I loved absolutely everyone I worked with ar B&N, the management was friendly as well as the coworkers and they were always very understanding. Its not a place that will pay for rent but it is a nice part-time job
Pros
discounts on books and food
Cons
not a lot of hours
Good transition job
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Lewisburg, PAApril 17, 2018
My job at Barnes & Noble was a temporary, part-time, summer job. The management was great, as were the workers. The pay wasn't fantastic, but it was a part time job (what else would you expect?).
Pros
Great management and culture among coworkers.
Cons
The pay wasn't very good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K