Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Stressful, Negative Environment
Digital Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 2, 2018
Barnes & Noble does not treat their employees well. They understaff and underpay. Upper management is often weak. For example the District Manager in Indiana is disrespectful and unwilling to help or support her employees. It was common knowledge that one ASM at the Lafayette store was abusing her employees and multiple reports were made to HR. The DM ignored all complaints and lost half a dozen employees due to her neglect. The ASM recently left and many of the employees have returned to the store.
Pros
Books
Cons
Poor Pay
I loved it here
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 1, 2018
Despite the problems that I had with the store manager, working here was a dream come true. I have had the best conversations with customers here. The environment is something you can easily adapt to. There are days you get lines and a bunch of questions, but I have never had a bad day here.
Decent employer but poor corporate focus
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAFebruary 1, 2018
Barnes and Noble has difficulty navigating changes to the retail and media industries and evolving customer expectations. As an employee, this can be frustrating as goals can change frequently and with little notice or clear direction.
Pros
great discount, decent vacation time for full time employees
Cons
lack of full time positions and upward mobility options
hard work, fun place.
Bookseller / Musicseller (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSFebruary 1, 2018
In someways all big box stores are the same...B&N was somewhat different. No stories about the company being designed on a "Napkin"at dinner, etc. started as a REALLY great place to a good place. Thus is the way things change.
Great place to work if you enjoy multi-tasking.
Assistant Store Manager/Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLFebruary 1, 2018
A great place to work. You are exposed to learning all different types of positions within the management opportunities. Great place to help customers of all ages.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
Hours were never set, making it difficult to maintain a personnal life
Pretty fun
Barista (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 31, 2018
Never gets too boring, there's always something to do. Definitely not the best place to work, but far from the worst. As long as you work at a steady space, and keep that customer welcoming smile on a swivel you'll do fine.
Pros
Numerous discounts
Cons
Mostly short shifts.
Great place to work.
Bookseller/Cashier/Barista (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDJanuary 31, 2018
Great Company.
Great atmosphere.
Very diverse.
Benefits are good if you're full-time.
Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the fact that everyone feels like family.
Great retail experience, not reccomended for the long term.
Receiving Manager/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 31, 2018
I came into bookselling before the digital age and it is a night and day difference between when I started and when I left. It was a very close knit community early on until the family that owned barnes, sold majority to investors. It promptly went from caring deeply for its employees and rights to not so much. Very washed out corperate mentality. But good recourse to move up within the ranks to a certain degree
Pros
Flexiable hours for students, great testing platform for ratail
Cons
All hours of work including weekends, always on call, management
Fun Place To Work
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 31, 2018
B&N is a fun place to work and you get to meet a lot of interesting people. However, if you are looking to advance then this is not the correct place to do so. Depending on each store, higher management can either empower you to succeed or in other cases it can throw up a road block and have you coast along with promises of advancement and training that never come.
Pros
Interesting people, books
Cons
Inconsistent management, Advancement Roadblocks
Fun Place to work for Book Lovers
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJanuary 30, 2018
I loved working for this company but there was not room for much advancement or raises.
Working at Barnes&Noble is a wonderful experience if you have to right managers.
Great, especially if you're an avid reader
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 30, 2018
I really enjoyed the work pace here. I enjoyed not having a uniform too. Having to push a paid membership was difficult since most companies now offer free memberships.
Wonderful benefits
Café Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZ 85711January 30, 2018
Very diversified staff and cultures. A very quick-paced atmoshere and standing for long hours. The hardest part of the job is lack of hours for proper training. The most enjoyable part of my day is getting to know all of our regular customers by name and making new customers feel welcomed to become a regular. becoming a cafe manager inside a bookstore gives me the opportunity to cross train as a merchandising manager to zone, shelf, and set up displays.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
except for management, everyone is part-time
Fun
Cafe Server (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLJanuary 30, 2018
It's a good place to work especially for students who need a flexible schedule. Laborious though it is the coworkers are friendly and such. Would recommend to a friend.
Awesome coworkers and friendly management
Barista (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 30, 2018
I truly love Barnes and Noble, not only because I'm an avid reader, but because its a relaxed and friendly environment. I highly recommend applying to Barnes and Noble if you're looking for a productive yet friendly work place.
Pros
Coworkers and management
Cons
Only part-time, low oppertunities for advancement
Nice
Rate this company
OK NICE
Typical Retail
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 29, 2018
Typical retail. Books are ancient technology but the way they are being sold is changing. Most people will like working there, but don't expect to read on the job.
I'm a book lover!
Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 29, 2018
As an seasonal worker at Barnes and noble it gave me a lot if thinking time because it was always very laid back with peaceful music. My Manger was awesome and as a book lover I Lover I loved being in the atmosphere with readers.
Barnes and noble
Cashier / Bookseller (Former Employee) –  SCJanuary 28, 2018
Good job for beginners. Fast paced job but easy to handle once you catch on. Would recommend to a college student. Pay is weekly, so this would be great to use.
Pros
flexible hours, easy job
Cons
no breaks, no hours, low pay
Fun atmosphere, friendly co-workers
Cafe Worker/Barista (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJanuary 27, 2018
I worked part-time and for a short while in only one department, so cannot comment on larger picture, but I liked working at this Barnes and Noble and would recommend it as a future job site.
Nice environment and camaraderie.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Union, NJJanuary 27, 2018
The environment its nice to work and there is also camaraderie among the staff and management. An opportunity to have a part-time job and walk to the classes (my case).
Pros
Convenience (my case) to work and walk to my classes (avoid long driving).
Cons
Not an oriented career job. I need a job in my field of studies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K