Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

A Booklover's Dream
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJNovember 1, 2017
The company is a great place to work if you are a self-starter who takes initiative and loves books. A shift can be at any location from the cashier to working in café or receiving and the hours are flexible.
The management ladder is easy to follow and there Is room for advancement in most departments.
Pros
Free books, coming across the newest titles
Cons
can be stressful work environment
it's book selling, plain and simple
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 1, 2017
Good place to work, Typical retail, with books. If you understand retail culture- namely, the priority of income over, say, customer comfort, then this is a good place. They treat employees VERY well, and if you're a bibliophile, I highly recommend. However, if sales culture and social interactions are not your cup of tea, then I suggest finding something else.
Great place to work but upper management is out of touch
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 1, 2017
I loved working with the booksellers. The culture is forward thinking and there is a genuine love for the products. At a store level I had no complaints but the District Manager has oversight on all promotions and does not communicate well enough with staff to make informed decisions.
Pros
Book culture, discounts, great staff
Cons
Upper management
Typical day at work
Bookseller/Barista (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 31, 2017
Its challenged at time but I always provide excellent customer service to anyone who need it. Working there isn't the problem, its the customers they give a hard time. Sometimes you go out of your way to help them but are still given a rude attitude.
Great culture
Database Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 29, 2017
Working in the stores is challenging and rewarding. Being able to assist customers in locating products and maintaining company image is vital. Working at a corporate level is demanding and competitive, but there is room to change departments and learn new skills.
Pros
Store discount
Great job for someone who loves books
Book Seller / Café Worker ( Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 28, 2017
I got this job as a seasonal cashier. I was ask to stay and I became a bookseller. The discount is great. It was hard to not use your whole pay check on books.
The industry standard in College Bookstores
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  SUNY College at Old Westbury Campus BookstoreOctober 28, 2017
I greatly enjoyed working for the company as a whole. I learned many valuable retail management skills that can be put to use for other companies. Unfortunately, the manager I work under is not as committed to the success of the business as I am and that has caused me to start seeking other employment. I also believe my management skills and experience combined with my culinary experience can help me in finding a higher paying position.
A Marketing and Clan Culture Combined at Some Locations
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2017
The organizational culture is not maintained throughout the entire organization, some locations are much better places to work compared to others. Moreover, there are favoritism by management as it pertains to their employees, some employees tend to be more valued than others. Employees at a lower level are treated as assets rather than humans, and there is a lack of diversity higher up the hierarchy. Nevertheless, the company is very adaptive to their external environment, and uphold a positive reputation among their business partners and vendors.
Pros
Very adaptive, and work hard to maintain a competitive advantage.
Cons
Treat employees more like assets, lack of career development to executive level.
Flexible hours
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 26, 2017
They work around your schedule for school. Management was not always cohesive. High turnover. Friendly atmosphere. Easy job. Laid back. Could get boring at times.
Typical Day in the Barnes & Noble Cafe
Cafe Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 26, 2017
I have enjoyed my employment with Barnes & Noble Booksellers. For the past 4 years, I have worked in the cafe for two different locations, Temecula and now Riverside. While a bookstore can have its downtime, there is a lot of multi-tasking and rushing to service customers in a timely, yet friendly and efficient manner. Serving Starbucks coffee and Cheesecake factory foods creates a diverse menu in the cafe and creates opportunity to learn new incoming product. I love my role as a cafe server and enjoy creating espresso beverages for fellow bookworms.
Pros
good discounts on merchandise
Buen ambiente
Poniendo material en las locasiones (Former Employee) –  Monroe njOctober 25, 2017
Trabajando segundo turno.40 horas por semana aveces horas extras
Pros
Seguro médico
Cons
Tiempo de descanso
Barnes and Noble is a great company with great people to work with.
Bookseller/costumer service associate (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 25, 2017
Working at Barnes and Noble while going to school was fantastic. They are flexible with your schedule and very understanding. The people you work with are fantastic.
Fun place to work and talk to customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYOctober 25, 2017
I enjoyed working with all new people and talking to customers who came in. I met many people while working here and enjoyed the environment. working there was a fun experience.
Bookseller
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Day, PAOctober 25, 2017
Great place to work! get to work with people all day long. Great co-workers everyone there is super friendly. no shift is a bad shift, het to read books!
Pros
Great atomsphere
Cons
No Cons
This is a fun job!
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, WIOctober 24, 2017
Barnes and Noble, although not a great career choice, is a fun and lively place to work. It is a great part time jobs for students and you have the opportunity to learn a lot and make a lot of friends!
Interesting and mind expanding experience
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Massapequa, NYOctober 24, 2017
As a rule those who read are more knowledgeable. Took part in many fun and broad ranged conversations while working in a bookstore. The nature of the business has moved into the technological age.
Pros
access to early releases
Cons
big turnover in help
Fast Paced Fun Place to Work
Café Server (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 24, 2017
I worked at the cafe in Barnes and Noble and got along with everyone hired on both book and cafe side. I was paid fairly and according to the experience I had, and learned how to make all the drinks on the menu. I also learned great customer service skills, how to work under pressure, and how to stay calm under lots of stress. Management was amazing and very understanding of everyone's situation in life and went above and beyond to help the employees advance through the day. I will say, they have lockers, but you're not assigned a locker, you're assigned a lock, and you can't keep anything in your locker overnight. My location was understaffed in the cafe, so the hardest part of the day, was just doing my work because we were constantly slammed and backed up. But I loved the people I worked with, and the overall, relaxed but professional attitude of the store.
Pros
Excellent discounts, good employee community
Cons
low hours, understaffed
when it was busy it was busy, when it was slow, boy was it slow.
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAOctober 24, 2017
Usually busy to start with customers waiting to be helped. You get
to interact with many different ppl.manager in Brockton was awesome as were co-workers. Would definitely go back if asked.
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2017
very good work environment
i learned how to work with a team instead of trying to get everything done myself the most enjoyable part about my job was clocking out and my check
Pros
being around my coworkers
Cons
short breaks
Barnes and Noble Review
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 24, 2017
Barnes and Noble offers a very typical retail work environment. The employees are all nice and helpful. The work goals are always clear and manageable. Sometimes customers can be rude and unreasonable. Also it is often that products get lost. On a whole, it is a nice place to work that offers decent pay, flexible hours, reasonable benefits, and supportive coworker relationships.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.