Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Very low pay
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 28, 2018
Just like any corporate retail store the employees at store level are not respected by the corporate office. The company continually increases demands on the store without providing the stores the resources needed to succeed.

Barnes & Noble does not pay well. They do not even come close to paying well. The benefits package was basically average for corporate America.

Ultimately the only good part of working for Barnes & Noble is being able to work in a bookstore. When you do something you love you can accept a lot of below average but Barnes & Noble is so exceptionally below average in pay and benefits it is embarrassing, or at least they should be embarrassed for asking people to work for the pay and overall experience.
Pros
Books.
Cons
Very low wages, rotating and unreliable work schedules.
Good place for a first part-time job
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  Fairless Hills, PAApril 28, 2018
I worked as a part-time bookseller and it was always interesting. However, there weren't many opportunities for advancement. For the amount of hours I worked part-time, there were no benefits. It is what you expect from a retail work environment at times but it is a lot better than what you expect from a retail job. If you like books its a great place to work.
Pros
Good work environment, decent pay
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Fun workplace for people who love books
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXApril 27, 2018
When working at Barnes and Noble you need to be able to tell the customer your honest thoughts about the book that thy are asking about. The people are fun to work with and the events that the company does are fun. During the rush hours is when the job is the busiest.
Pros
Discounts on items in store
Cons
Only leads and higher get healthcare
Relaxed workplace if work done right
Barista (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLApril 27, 2018
The workers are very friendly. Makes working at Barnes & Noble bearable, but be sure to do your tasks. They will get on your case, if needed. Learning the drink recipes are easy after a week or two, and the "rush" isn't that bad. I've seen/worked worse.
Good company, questionable direction.
Sales and Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 26, 2018
The B&N I started working for was heavily book-centric, which I loved. The business is heading in new directions, and while I understand that B&N must remain adaptable, I miss the company I started with in 2008.
Slow or Busy
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAApril 26, 2018
Best part of the day is the slowest as you just chill and help the few guest wandering around, and talking with co-workers.
The worst part is when ts busy and someone forgets to take their break on time, so ALL the breaks are pushed back.
Pros
Can be Chill
Cons
The people on weekends can be irritating sometimes
Barnes and noble
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJApril 26, 2018
It was nice. Loved the co-workers, loved the customers. I much preferred working the floor, than being on the register. The management was okay. It was a cross between being amazing, and being horrible.
Pros
Meet awesome people
Cons
They put you where they needes you and never asked what you preferred to be
highly Recommend this fun retail environment
PT Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 26, 2018
a great place to work for a relaxed retail sales environment, customers and management are great and it is easy to get sucked in and not want to leave.
Pros
awesome atmosphere
Cons
could pay a little bit more
Great place to work if you love books
Bookseller and Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 25, 2018
As it is with any other specialty retailer, this job is best suited for those who have a passion for the merchandise. If you are an active reader, have an inquisitive nature, and otherwise love being around books and media, this is a great company. This is not a retail situation that works well with someone who is just earning a paycheck.
Pros
If you love the merchandise, you will love the job
Cons
Company prefers part-time employees with minimal benefits and standard retail hourly pay
Great Place to work
Senior Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAApril 25, 2018
Best place I have ever worked.

Management was fantastic.

The people made the difference.

Hours not conducive to family life.

Great workplace culture.
Productive and fun work environment
Barista/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Lahaina, HIApril 25, 2018
Cafe and book floor was a mixture of both fun and stressful times. The workers there are very helpful and heart warming people. If there’s something they can get for you there in it within seconds!
Its a nice place to work
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 24, 2018
I loved working there. The management was really awesome and friendly, and they really treated me like family there. What I didn't like was the corporation as a whole I don't blame the managers for that, I just hate the corporation in general
Pros
Discounts, flexible hours
Cons
low hours
Fantastic
Temporary Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZApril 24, 2018
It was easy to work with such kind and helpful coworkers. I only worked temporarily, and was able to learn a lot in a short amount of time. Everyone was more than willing to help clarify any questions i may have had.
Fast pace sales environment, decent discounts, book borrowing program
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 24, 2018
Some opportunities to move up in the company, somewhat flexible hours and employee appreciation days. Better geared towards part time work after the company discontinued many full time positions. Knowledge of our Membership card and proactively reaching sales goals will guarantee more hours.
Technical
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 23, 2018
Barnes & Noble was interesting in that we were supporting a product that was very new to Barnes & Noble and it had a feel of learning as you go as a company.
Pros
Cutting edge technology
Cons
Did not pay well at all
One of the best
CSR & TECH Support (Former Employee) –  manila philippinesApril 23, 2018
Much fun at work, A lot of team buildings, more incentives for agents. I was able to bring my family during their family day at work, which is I think fun and interactive.
Pros
free movie tickets
Cons
queing
its an average place, could be a lot better.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NJApril 21, 2018
could use a lot of updating, and more professional personnel. overall it is not a bad job, they could pay a little more than they do, but its not bad depending on the gender.
Every day was productive and fun to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2018
I liked the work environment and how they always had something to do. Game days were the busiest and the managers were very understandable about having class time and study time before coming into work.
Pros
Starbucks in the store
Cons
Not enough pay
productive
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonds, WAApril 21, 2018
Worked as supervisor at the college bookstore. Quickly learned closing/opening registers and cash balance. It was nice atmosphere and good student environment.
Pros
discount
Cons
n/a
Great job for college students
Cashier (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDApril 20, 2018
It was a temporary job. It is a great job for college students. I was a bookseller at the University of Maryland Bookstore for nearly 12 hours a week. I did a lot of stuff inside the bookstore as restocking merchandise, process textbook orders, and cashier and answer customer questions when needed. The hardest job in this bookstore is handling customers complaints, especially busy days such as textbook rush or admissions. The most enjoyable part of the job is restocking merchandise and straightening up, especially slow days.
Pros
20% discount on clothes, textbooks, etc.
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K