Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Awesome place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 24, 2018
I had a wonderful experience working at Barnes and Noble. My coworkers were great and everyone treated each other like family. I chose to leave for personal reasons, but not because of management or anything. Holidays would get pretty crazy busy, but the hours were better during then. Pay is minimum wage.
Fast Paced, and fun
Bookseller & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 24, 2018
Very fast paced,don't be late numerous of times, friendly and helpful staff,favorite part about my day at work is the toy/games and puzzle section....
Pros
benefits, discounts when an employee
Cons
15min breaks
I loved it here
Café Barista (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 23, 2018
Barnes and nobel is a great place to work. I learned so much goid for starting out maybe not a career if you like money. If you love to read need a second income then this is for you. Pop cultuer relavent enviorment so find your inner nerd and someone will relate.
Pros
Free books early releases exclusive content
Cons
Bad hours
Good Job for Student
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJuly 23, 2018
Work can change depending on what department you're in. The managers in general are nice and understanding if something comes up. At times, dealing with customers that really tried my patience was difficult (college students, school tours, and college tours). Also, game days are almost complete madness but the managers are great at organizing the workers.
Good stuff
Bestseller (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 23, 2018
Great temporary or part time job and their manager training was pretty solid. Plenty of different tasks and jobs to do in the store and everyone was great to work with
Short term
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Inwood, WVJuly 23, 2018
Worked there short time due to their need for seasonal workers due to students getting their books for the new semester. I worked there with a friend which helped me enjoy the work.
Where do I even start?
Cafe Server (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHJuly 22, 2018
I worked here for 3 years in the cafe. I made some wonderful friends, and I loved most of the managers (the ones I didn't love...well, I'm going to be polite and not say anything about them at all).

The cafe workers are on the lowest tier in the store. Working in the cafe, you do more work, harder work, and have more expected of you than you do working on the book floor and you don't get paid any more nor are you allowed to have a tip jar.
Pros
Good people, interesting place, good discounts
Cons
Horrible scheduling, poor management, no tips, no room for advancement
grt comepany to work for.
Network Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2018
a great company,
nice managment,
enough opportunities for all to grow in a cutting edge tech company,
They have grt benefits with med and dental coverd,
Challenging Customer Service
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLJuly 21, 2018
The number one thing to know if you want to work here is that you're going to be dealing with a lot of crazies. That is, people with very obscure and specific requests that don't have any patience when their expectations aren't met immediately with a book in their hand.
Old-folks, desperate parents scrambling last minute to find their kid's class-assigned out-of-print reading, people who want you to check over their entire order history to make sure they aren't double ordering, hoarders, you name it. You will be exposed to crazies of all kinds. People will assume that you have every book in stock, and will be shocked mad when you tell them otherwise. Expect to hear a certain retail website name-dropped as an insult when the store is sold out of what they want.
The stress is high and you will be on your feet juggling phone orders and in-store customers, and you must also balance the ever-growing slush pile of misplaced books customers leave in their wake. Despite it all, you are expected to be polite and mild-mannered to everyone.
Expect to be called off of work a lot. Expect to be called into work a lot. Hours can be very inconsistent for part-timers. Pay is typical of low-level retail.
The only saving graces are your managers and coworkers, who have been through it all and understand how crazy the customers are. Don't hesitate to ask for advice or call for help.
In all, I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone who doesn't find satisfying customers as its own reward, for the stress of the job doesn't match the hours or compensation.
Pros
Excellent managers and coworkers
Cons
Customer expectations
Review
BOOK SELLER/CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 20, 2018
A great job for young people who have this as their first job. The hours are flexible and being around well read people is a very nice environment to be in.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low to average pay

Want to know more about Barnes & Noble?

Ask a question
Quiet workplace with books
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 20, 2018
Overall, working at Barnes and Noble isn't bad, I just isn't for me. I realized that I am better at working in small companies rather thank big ones. Although, you get pretty nice discounts, Including 10% everything and 30% in the cafe.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Stressful for antisocial people
I've worked here for 15 years, so it can't be that bad!
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 20, 2018
I only work part time now but have been full-time at other points here and they've always been flexible with me. My main concern is the way retail is going and if there will be job security going forward.
Good starting place
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJuly 19, 2018
This place is fair, but the pay isn't high enough for anyone looking for a decent living. It's more of a second job. You have to do what you're told and listen while you are being trained. Remember everything - or as much as you can - in whatever you learn. This will prevent you from asking unnecessary questions. Ask questions when needed, and don't try to do anything if you are, in any way, unsure of how to do it. Always ask first, because you may mess something up, and you'll be held accountable. This is a customer service job - where your aim is to satisfy every customer (as much as you possibly can) - so you don't want to mess up anything that can affect any customers or other employees - since they are doing the same goal you are playing. Get along with employees, but don't try to micromanage or "boss" anyone, especially people your own age. People in their early adulthood ages tend to strive to be "the boss" because they want to quickly rise up to management level, even when they are just beginning like you.
Pros
Good to start
Cons
Pay is low (minimum wage)
good temp job
To assist store management (Current Employee) –  Livingston, NJJuly 18, 2018
pleasant environment but very little upward mobility and low compensation. management should provide more direction to staff and more training. Company needs to change business strategy to become more competitive
Cons
very liitle time to eat meals during breaks and small discount on food
Previously a great place to work. Not so much now.
Sales and Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INJuly 18, 2018
I was originally hired on as bookseller and then moved to Merchandise Manager (changed to SIM). Reduced labor, overemphasis on nonsensical metrics (ie member card percentages, secret shop scores), and poor communication within store and company have made this job unbearable. Would recommend looking elsewhere for a retail job.
I don't have any
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJuly 18, 2018
Just a bookseller in all phases pertaining to the business.

I have nothing more to add. Nothing more to say.

Bookseller. Run all phases of helping students find books. Putting orders through and receiving and shipping out books. PR. Errands for manager.
Started great...
Children's Lead (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 18, 2018
Started great, but corporate management took a dive and the company shifted it's focus from customer service to sales and became unbearable. They cut our staffing so severely that those of us left were forced to do three times the work, with twice the expectations and goals, but with the exact same pay. The district management made unrealistic demands with no support or advice on how to achieve the goals demanded. The company cannot keep up with the market and will flounder at their current pace.
Good entry level job
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJJuly 17, 2018
My co-workers are the only reason working there is worth it. Yes, the discount is a plus, however the pay is barely livable and there is little to no chance for advancement. It's good place to work if you're fresh out of school or need a little something extra but its not somewhere you could stay.
Pros
discount
Cons
no chance for advancement, no pat time benefits
Great place
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 17, 2018
I really enjoyed working here. Sometimes the customers got a bit hard to handle, like if they couldn't think of a book they wanted and would just say, "it was blue" or something stupid like that, but overall it was a really laid back place to work with good colleagues and decent work hours.
Pros
discounts, hours, starbucks
Cons
pay
A former leader currently on life-support.
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 17, 2018
While this company never paid very well, the discount on books and other benefits marginally balanced it out. I also enjoyed working with people who were literate, and enjoyed reading. Sadly, the company's leadership has run this ship into the ground.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K