Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Was ok
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NJNovember 7, 2017
The company was great to work for at one point family oriented. They worked as a family and cared about the employees. But I guess like anything else. The big picture took over and lead to bad decisions.. Of course when that happens the little guy gets the bad part. A lot of us were outsourced just because even though the outsourcing company didn't have the people to do our jobs. ..
Pros
Coworkers are great we did what we needed to and with what we had
Cons
Management is always changing their minds and not fully looking at the big picture and the outcome.
I miss Barnes&Noble.
Lead Sales Associate in Music Department (Former Employee) –  Calabasas, CANNovember 7, 2017
I loved working at Barnes&Noble and I loved being around my passion all day, books. Plus I had the pleasure of working with people I now have the privilege of calling my friends.
Pros
Discounts and paid vacation.
Cons
Angry customers
Hard work, great coworkers, challenging environment.
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 6, 2017
The work at B&N has always been challenging (merchandising books, moving fixtures, getting things done), but the payoff is helping people find exactly what they're looking for. The employees are usually bookish and smart. Store culture is different from store to store (my store's always been pretty great), but corporately the push to contunually try to do more and more with less will grind you down.
Pros
Great coworkers, Good discounts
Cons
Low wages, Corporate Culture
Sales associate
worker (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 6, 2017
As a sales associate I gained knowledge in cashiering and costumer service. I also received shipping and order knowledge pulling books, packaging them, and sorting them accordingly. I often restocked shelves and displays while also answering and questions costumers had.
Pros
Cashier, stocking, shipping, and receiving experience.
Cons
Not enough hours.
The great divided
Bookseller/Cashier/Customer Serv. Rep (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19103November 6, 2017
Favoritism, insider hiring, low pay, inconvenient scheduling. However its always great to work with books, great discount in cafe and on sales floor. Events are not outrages!
Na
Book Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 5, 2017
This was a very fun job and a great work environment. The staff work together as one and got the job done as needed. The management was helpful and assisted whenever needed.
Great people, Great place to work
Cashier/ Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Bend, OR 97702November 5, 2017
The work environment was fantastic, Great team great events, lots of fun.The pay could have been better and the opportunity to advance was very difficult...it takes a very long time and there are limited work positions available.
Pros
great team
Cons
Hard to advance, bad pay
Great place to work with students and learn new life lessons
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 5, 2017
A day here is pretty relaxed except during busy times (beginning of a semester.
You will stock books, and fill online orders. Return voicemails and emails in a timely manner.

I worked with other Bookstore Managers with their requests of books and supplies for online classes.

B&N College Booksellers has a upbeat and fun atmosphere.

Hardest part of this job is buying books back from students and sometime difficult customers with difficult situations.

Most enjoyable, helping students get ready for another year.
Pros
Flexible hours, great people, discounts
Cons
Can be quick paced, stressful and very busy, and long hours
Friendly work environment
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLNovember 4, 2017
I learned how to treat customers while building relationship one to one.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Productive and fun place to work
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHNovember 3, 2017
Typically a day consists of filling text book orders, checking in shipped merchandise, stockings shelves and, most importantly, customer service. Working with the customers is one of my favorite aspects of this job. However, it can be challenging when there's not good communication between you and the customer. Such as, the return policy on rental textbooks and other policies.
Fun Place to work
Cafe Server (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCNovember 2, 2017
I loved working at this store. The management team is awesome and so our the other employees. Everyone helps each other out and offers help all the time.
Chaos
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLNovember 2, 2017
Management is disorderly, and they always mess up the schedule. There are always holes in the schedule that we have to fill with 2 hour notice. Most customers are very friendly and enjoyable, and the Cafe manager is the only one who knows what she's doing.
Fun work place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CANovember 2, 2017
Great place for a young adult to work. The staff is friendly and overall the workplace was fun. Great benefits and pay. Nice quiet place to work, awesome discounts.
Talent Management Focus
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  NOPENovember 1, 2017
The company is pretty liberal, and that is a great thing for a Fortune 500. The pay is divided into different districts, and is different throughout the USA. There is a lack of understanding from corporate vs retail stores. Example: Project hours vs staffing. The management job is challenging, but rewarding. If you like meeting goals, management here is a good job. Retail has been in the decline, and begs the questions, is this a stable job? Full time employees receive great health insurance, vision, & dental. Paid time off, sick days, and personal days. The typical day at work is customer centric, usually two different or more managers on duty. Management is either task focused or 100% customer centric. The customer view is critical to the companies overall health. Recent changes with CEO have created a corporate gloom, that management has to overcome.
Pros
Great benefits IF full time.
Cons
Changing CEO, corporate not understanding store structure
A Booklover's Dream
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJNovember 1, 2017
The company is a great place to work if you are a self-starter who takes initiative and loves books. A shift can be at any location from the cashier to working in café or receiving and the hours are flexible.
The management ladder is easy to follow and there Is room for advancement in most departments.
Pros
Free books, coming across the newest titles
Cons
can be stressful work environment
it's book selling, plain and simple
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 1, 2017
Good place to work, Typical retail, with books. If you understand retail culture- namely, the priority of income over, say, customer comfort, then this is a good place. They treat employees VERY well, and if you're a bibliophile, I highly recommend. However, if sales culture and social interactions are not your cup of tea, then I suggest finding something else.
Great place to work but upper management is out of touch
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 1, 2017
I loved working with the booksellers. The culture is forward thinking and there is a genuine love for the products. At a store level I had no complaints but the District Manager has oversight on all promotions and does not communicate well enough with staff to make informed decisions.
Pros
Book culture, discounts, great staff
Cons
Upper management
Typical day at work
Bookseller/Barista (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 31, 2017
Its challenged at time but I always provide excellent customer service to anyone who need it. Working there isn't the problem, its the customers they give a hard time. Sometimes you go out of your way to help them but are still given a rude attitude.
Great culture
Database Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 29, 2017
Working in the stores is challenging and rewarding. Being able to assist customers in locating products and maintaining company image is vital. Working at a corporate level is demanding and competitive, but there is room to change departments and learn new skills.
Pros
Store discount
Great job for someone who loves books
Book Seller / Café Worker ( Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 28, 2017
I got this job as a seasonal cashier. I was ask to stay and I became a bookseller. The discount is great. It was hard to not use your whole pay check on books.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.