Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Showing all 3,961 reviews
Poor Management
CAFÉ SERVER (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 6, 2018
The upper management was the biggest reason why I left. Overall, it was pretty chill, great paid and even part-time people can get sick time, and after six months paid time off.
Retail with all that that implies
customer service (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 6, 2018
The public is exceedingly demanding! The company micro-manages too much. The stores have zero autonomy. Wages are low. Benefits are practically non-existent.
Diverse
Book Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYOctober 5, 2018
Great place to work for fun and discussion and discounts. The company doesn't typically adhere to employees with families or family schedules however. More prone to schedule family hours for college students to have the ability to party verses employees with families and slightly less seniority. Weekend hours are hard to change or cut back on.
Pros
books, great discounts, fun workplace, great co workers
Cons
hours and pay were terrible and inconsistent
Relaxing and fun place to work!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 5, 2018
I loved this job! The employees are great, the discount is SO worth it, and the hours are mostly minimal, which is both good and bad. It was a relaxing environment, except through the holidays, when it gets crazy like most retail places. It's a fun place to work, and I definitely recommend it!
Productive and fun
Cashier/Cafe (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTOctober 4, 2018
I love working at Barnes and Noble, they schedule well and are able to work around my college classes. Only issues are benefits and the pay I'm getting isn't enough to pay the bills. Love my workers and managers, the environment.
Pros
Atmosphere and People
Cons
Benefits and Pay
Fellowship
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYOctober 3, 2018
It was like an extended family and I found the even on the busiest of days, it still felt leisure.
The hardest parts were on inventory days and the most enjoyable parts were the books and diverse customers.
Pros
Bonding with Customers and Co-workers.
Cons
short breaks and inventory day.
Not worthwhile
Barista (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 3, 2018
While I was there, management was a drug addict who has since been fired, but who was borderline abusive to minimum wage employees. Nice to talk to regular customers, though
It was a fun work place
Brooklyn, NY - Assistant Summer Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2018
Working here was not bad at all, honestly. Aside from the consistent standing and walking around there was not much to complain about. the children were children and the adults did their jobs as best as they can
Absolutely loved working here
Barista (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIOctober 2, 2018
The people at Barnes and Noble were the best part. We were like a little community. The job was very easy and fast-paced. The management was excellent. I have no complaints there. I would recommend working here to anyone.
Too much micromanagement and no days off
Café Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYOctober 1, 2018
I was hired as the cafe supervisor and promised opportunity for advancement; the manager quit, so having only been there about 2 weeks, I had to do his job and mine for the same pay and was still being trained myself, by the employees I was supposed to be overseeing. Management was disrespectful and condescending and I consistently got scheduled to close and then open the next day.

A perk was that I really enjoyed most of my coworkers, they were sweet! The employee discount on food was also awesome, but we were never allowed to take home things that were "spoiling" (AKA fresh food that goes against health codes after 2 days) - I suggested donating the excess food and it's against company policy. Such a waste.
Pros
Coworkers, employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, pay, management, scheduling
Fun place to work
Cafe Lead (Current Employee) –  State College, PAOctober 1, 2018
At both BN locations I worked at, I loved the management team. Everyone is friendly and is willing to help as many customers as they can. The workplace is pretty laidback but have expectations for everyone.
Pros
great discounts, scheduled breaks so you don't miss one
Cons
some days are busy and others are slow
It was nice
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 30, 2018
I worked for a campus bookstore, so it got pretty hectic during the first few weeks of classes, but other than that, it was pretty chill. I mainly worked in the twxt book department.
Pros
Discounts!
Cons
Rush week customers
16 years for what?
MERCHANIDSE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 30, 2018
Worked for the company for 16 years. Unfortunately, politics and nepotism that occurred in the area kept me from moving to a store closer to home. Upper management in the area is completely awful.
Pros
Coworkers, discount
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NJSeptember 29, 2018
The place is awesome. You want to go there everyday. It is nice. It is a fun place to be and the work is not that hard as you think it is. I have a great time there.
Great Job
barista, deliver samples and operate cash register (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 29, 2018
Everyone works well together and looks out for each other. The managers care about the workers and they train them extensively. It is a safe and clean environment.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Was once a great place to work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fort, ALSeptember 28, 2018
Barnes and Noble was once a great place to work! Not anymore. It’s gone from being a bookstore with heart, to a company that doesn’t care about its employees. They won’t hire any full time employees anymore because they don’t want to have to pay benefits. They believe they are going to save themselves 40 million dollars by doing this. The only thing that this will do for them is keep them afloat for a little longer.
You were once great.
R.I.P. Barnes and Noble.
Simple cafe to work at, like a Starbucks with less drinks.
Cafe Server (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 28, 2018
A regular day at work was pretty simple. We had a lot of regulars, so it was easy to get orders ready for those people, and they were all sympathetic when things didn't work smoothly.

The management for the store was effective, but the manager to the cafe was abysmal.
The most stressful part of the job was anytime we had some sort of school event, it was just a lot all at once, but nothing necessarily horrible.
Pros
Discounts on store stuff
close nit group of coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 28, 2018
I only worked part time. but the people i worked with were great. The work was pleasant, and the managers were always helpful. Great job for a college or high school student who like to read.
Productive and Carefree Environment
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILSeptember 28, 2018
The store in Geneva Commons is a quick paced environment. It is important to be on task and do several things at once. One must work on a project and help customers in person and on the phones. Management will keep you on track of the projects and customer service for the day. The employees are friendly and will answer any questions new employees have. If you enjoy reading, this is the place for you.
poor
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 28, 2018
Shot themselves in the foot. After they stopped being book focused and spread out into tangential areas, they completely lost the objectives of why they were a book store.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K