Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Very stressful
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAFebruary 5, 2018
When I first started I was very excited to learn and grow with the company not anymore they’re constantly changing things and making it very difficult for you to do your job and Advance with the company. They’re hiring outside management with no knowledge and having you train them. I don’t recommend working for Barns And Noble at all.Very stressful
a booklovers delight,,until last few years
Bookseller/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 4, 2018
B&N was a great place to work..when it was run by booksellers
not so much so when it was being run by book keepers...
The struggle to keep stores open with non-book products takes away from the atmosphere that made B&N so much fun to work for.
Pros
good managers, coworkers and most cutomers
Cons
occasional poor manager, less hours for all employees
Poor Management
Bookseller/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Livingston, NJFebruary 4, 2018
They care more about your availability than whether you know anything about books. We never talk about books, no one has any product knowledge. It is very unfortunate because there are some of us who are passionate about the products that we sell but that is not a priority.
Retail
no title (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 3, 2018
Low pay. Long hours. No advancement. Poor management. Rude customers. No time to complete your tasks. Poor supervision. No communication. Bad place to spend time.
Pros
Discount
Cons
work environment
Comfortable and professional
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYFebruary 3, 2018
A typical day at work was either busy or very slow. But the overall day was never tiring or stressful. It was my favorite job because it was very comfortable to be there and everyone was friendly and willing to teach. The management was great and very professional. I can't really think of anything that was hard about the job. The whole experience was enjoyable.
Pros
breaks and lunches, discounts
Cons
low pay rate
Stuck
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJFebruary 3, 2018
I started the shift by re-shelf ing a number of books, it was intriguing because I learned of new books that were out. Customers were always happy when you found a book they were looking for
Pros
50% starbucks
Cons
can get stuck in retail easy
A Nice Seasonal Job
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 2, 2018
As you would expect from the largest book retailer in the US, Barnes and Noble employees are well-read, pop culture familiar, and friendly. The work environment is generally a quiet one, much like a library, however behind the scenes, planograms and competitive cashier goals foster a sense of haste and ambition.

From a barista's perspective (mine), the store is generally quite peaceful, sometimes even painfully slow - but the holidays are something of a war zone. The cafe's small team however works fluidly, having been chosen specifically to work well together they are friendly, drama free, and quick to help one another. Working with the Barnes and Noble Cafe was perfect for what I needed at the time, although the paycheck was small the time was well spent in a very happy and agreeable environment. I would have loved to go back, if only their were more opportunities for advancement.
Pros
friendly team environment and some of the most agreeable customers in retail
Cons
no holidays off, always changing schedule
Stressful, Negative Environment
Digital Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 2, 2018
Barnes & Noble does not treat their employees well. They understaff and underpay. Upper management is often weak. For example the District Manager in Indiana is disrespectful and unwilling to help or support her employees. It was common knowledge that one ASM at the Lafayette store was abusing her employees and multiple reports were made to HR. The DM ignored all complaints and lost half a dozen employees due to her neglect. The ASM recently left and many of the employees have returned to the store.
Pros
Books
Cons
Poor Pay
I loved it here
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 1, 2018
Despite the problems that I had with the store manager, working here was a dream come true. I have had the best conversations with customers here. The environment is something you can easily adapt to. There are days you get lines and a bunch of questions, but I have never had a bad day here.
Decent employer but poor corporate focus
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAFebruary 1, 2018
Barnes and Noble has difficulty navigating changes to the retail and media industries and evolving customer expectations. As an employee, this can be frustrating as goals can change frequently and with little notice or clear direction.
Pros
great discount, decent vacation time for full time employees
Cons
lack of full time positions and upward mobility options
hard work, fun place.
Bookseller / Musicseller (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSFebruary 1, 2018
In someways all big box stores are the same...B&N was somewhat different. No stories about the company being designed on a "Napkin"at dinner, etc. started as a REALLY great place to a good place. Thus is the way things change.
Great place to work if you enjoy multi-tasking.
Assistant Store Manager/Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLFebruary 1, 2018
A great place to work. You are exposed to learning all different types of positions within the management opportunities. Great place to help customers of all ages.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
Hours were never set, making it difficult to maintain a personnal life
Pretty fun
Barista (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 31, 2018
Never gets too boring, there's always something to do. Definitely not the best place to work, but far from the worst. As long as you work at a steady space, and keep that customer welcoming smile on a swivel you'll do fine.
Pros
Numerous discounts
Cons
Mostly short shifts.
Great place to work.
Bookseller/Cashier/Barista (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDJanuary 31, 2018
Great Company.
Great atmosphere.
Very diverse.
Benefits are good if you're full-time.
Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the fact that everyone feels like family.
Great retail experience, not reccomended for the long term.
Receiving Manager/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 31, 2018
I came into bookselling before the digital age and it is a night and day difference between when I started and when I left. It was a very close knit community early on until the family that owned barnes, sold majority to investors. It promptly went from caring deeply for its employees and rights to not so much. Very washed out corperate mentality. But good recourse to move up within the ranks to a certain degree
Pros
Flexiable hours for students, great testing platform for ratail
Cons
All hours of work including weekends, always on call, management
Fun Place To Work
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 31, 2018
B&N is a fun place to work and you get to meet a lot of interesting people. However, if you are looking to advance then this is not the correct place to do so. Depending on each store, higher management can either empower you to succeed or in other cases it can throw up a road block and have you coast along with promises of advancement and training that never come.
Pros
Interesting people, books
Cons
Inconsistent management, Advancement Roadblocks
Fun Place to work for Book Lovers
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJanuary 30, 2018
I loved working for this company but there was not room for much advancement or raises.
Working at Barnes&Noble is a wonderful experience if you have to right managers.
Great, especially if you're an avid reader
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 30, 2018
I really enjoyed the work pace here. I enjoyed not having a uniform too. Having to push a paid membership was difficult since most companies now offer free memberships.
Wonderful benefits
Café Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZ 85711January 30, 2018
Very diversified staff and cultures. A very quick-paced atmoshere and standing for long hours. The hardest part of the job is lack of hours for proper training. The most enjoyable part of my day is getting to know all of our regular customers by name and making new customers feel welcomed to become a regular. becoming a cafe manager inside a bookstore gives me the opportunity to cross train as a merchandising manager to zone, shelf, and set up displays.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
except for management, everyone is part-time
Fun
Cafe Server (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLJanuary 30, 2018
It's a good place to work especially for students who need a flexible schedule. Laborious though it is the coworkers are friendly and such. Would recommend to a friend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K