Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

A great job.
server & Barista (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WA 98072September 27, 2018
Good training culture, they make sure you're equipped to actually doing things without throwing you on the ropes. Relaxed environment, and I never had any concerns of not physically being able to keep the store stocked or to satisfy all the customers, which I've dealt with before. Great working culture as well, although there's some gossip (but where isn't there workplace gossip, really?)
Enjoyable people and relaxed environment
Store Clerk/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 26, 2018
At the beginning of the semester it stayed very busy, constantly. As the semester advanced it grew slow and boring because many people had already gotten their textbooks. They are wonderful people to work with and productivity is key. Some managers are nicer than others.
A hard place
Bookseller/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2018
Barnes and Noble in downtown DC (no longer in business) was a difficult place to work. It kept you on your toes because of it's location. In addition to that, we had so many different personalities to work with on a daily basis that it was hard to know how to approach people.

The management left much to be desired. The general manager did not listen to the regional manager and this caused problems when it came to inventory.

The best part of the job was suggesting and finding books for customers who weren't sure what to read, and to later learn that they loved the title you chose for them.

The worst part were those who came in and took out their anger on you.
Pros
Seeing new book arrivals, book signings
Cons
Short lunches, some of the managers were not good with people
Nice team members
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJSeptember 24, 2018
Overall, it's a good place to work. However, some people would call out a lot. The people who I worked with were nice but I couldn't adjust to the atmosphere of the place.
Typical day at work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 24, 2018
A typical day at work starts off by being given a long list of tasks to take on by yourself with no help from managers or supervisors. Long hours of hauling boxes and books from one floor to the other. The atmosphere is not very friendly amongst the employees either.
Its a selling culture
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VASeptember 24, 2018
making money is the bottom line. selling membership cards and upselling titles are what drives the business. just like any retail job, you deal with good and bad customers. the company has shifted from a book selling company to just making money and sometimes by any means. cutting hours and positions has become the new norm.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Pressure to sell membership cards, and upsell. Low wage and no commission
Decent Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJSeptember 24, 2018
Not a horrific retail experience, and the atmosphere is generally calm. Long hours standing and re-shelving, and frequent short breaks. The discount is sufficient for those who enjoy purchasing books frequently.
Communication needs improvement
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  NJSeptember 24, 2018
I really do enjoy the job, but I have found that there's a lack of communication. Especially when it comes to scheduling. You give your availability as well as informing them of any dates you're not available - BEFORE the schedule is made. Then you see you are scheduled on some of those days. Acting M.O.D. tells you to speak to another employee to see if they can switch days with you. Wait. It's not like i just requested the day. It was put in writing BEFORE the schedule was made! And the dust....my allergies have flared up big time. It's great to straighten up and organize the store every night, but the store is in need of a cleaning.
Good
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2018
Productive and fun workplace. Pay is not suitable . Average Managers Who Don't Think Outside the Box. But Overall Barnes and Noble is fun and interesting place to work
Great Place, Great Management,Great Culture
Customer Care- Text Book Section (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 21, 2018
Overall, a positive experience. There is always work to be done. The management is serious about their jobs. They're also extremely nice, understanding, personable people.
Education
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 21, 2018
A typical day is clocking in and reviewing any orders on line for customers to full fill there orders:
Filling orders, stocking and packing bookcases: Ringing customers out on the cash register.
Pros
reading books
Cons
On your feet during the shift no sit down
Love my coworkers!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKSeptember 20, 2018
Barnes and Noble in Norman is an amazing place to work! The employees that work there are some of the nicest people that I've met. They are all very open to new people and loved training me. My experience there is one I will never forget. Also, the management is awesome!
Pros
management, employees, full time benefits
Cons
corporate is trash
A decade of Barnes & Noble
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 20, 2018
I enjoyed a very good career at Barnes & Noble. I loved the culture of the retail book world. I had a great team at my store. However, there are not many opportunities to move up in the company because people love their jobs and don’t leave. I also feel that the pay isn’t competitive compared to other retail. Overall it has been my favorite career path and I still love visiting my old stores.
Pros
Great benefits and discounts
Cons
Holiday hours and lack of advancement
Children's Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 20, 2018
Recent corporate policies and less pay roll make for a stressful work environment.

>Sell books and company membership to customers
>Recover the floor and set promotional displays at the same time
>Work registers and stock floor
>Learned the keys to customer service and management, especially ways in which both are done well or poorly
>Most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers of all ages find books they will enjoy
fast paced and fun environment
Bookseller/Barista (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 20, 2018
the managers are flexible with your hours. Everyone is always so happy and has a positive attitude. Its such a nice place to work and grow your job career.
Good entry level retail job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GASeptember 19, 2018
Overall, I think that Barnes & Noble is a great entry level retail job for a part time employee. I enjoyed my time with the company for the most part until there was a change in Store Manager and I knew it was time for my exit. I will say that if you work hard and want to be promoted from within, the company (depending on management team at your store) will help guide you up the ladder. I was promoted within from Receiving Manager to Merchandise Manager and from Merchandise Manager to Assistant Store Manager in 4 years.

One of main negative opinions that I have is that Barnes & Noble is trying too hard to compete with too many retail chains. It is a bookstore, that is the foundation of the company. Most Barnes & Noble stores around the country sell A LOT of games. The retail term for them are specialties, hobbies and collectibles. One fourth of the store I managed was nothing but toys and games. I think that the business model has changed drastically due to pressure from the likes of Amazon and I hate that they are not staying true to what they are, a bookstore. With all the games they are selling in 2018, I wouldn't be surprised, if they didn't begin selling video games, consoles, cell phone cases and accessories, other company gift cards (i.e. Target, Various Restaurants, Apple Music, Clothing Stores), etc.

I think that Amazon will unfortunately put them out of business in the long run. I don't see the changes they're making as productive or cost effective. At the location I worked, there were more of those toys and games stolen than sold. Not to mention there are
  more... a few test stores selling alcoholic beverages in their café area. Barnes & Noble is to most, a family focused retail chain where you, your spouse and children can all go spend time and relax and read a magazine or the newest New York Times Bestseller or read a picture book to your child or grab a cup of coffee. I think they have gotten so far away from what I'm sure the founder envisioned and hoped the company would be that I truly don't foresee them being around 10-15 years from now. It's like they are trading who they set out to be to try to compete with other big box retail and they are failing miserably. It's sad.  less
Pros
Room for advancement, paid time off, pay above minimum wage to part time
Cons
Upper management, culture, retention of good employees, revolving door
Fairly easy job just assisting customers with what they need.
Stocker/Receiver/Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Columbia, SCSeptember 19, 2018
Working at Barnes&Noble Bookstore I have gain great customers as well as stocking,online ordering, cashier. The communication need to be worked on with management and their tone of voice when dealing with customers as well employees.
Don't listen to their "promises"
CAFE BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 19, 2018
Started as a barista at the store and didn't get an opportunity to advance. I wanted to become a bookseller. I bent over backwards for the company and reaped no rewards. Sad. The management was always changing and it was hard for anyone to love the store owner. All other managers on duty were nice and helpful.
Pros
30% off everything, easy to change days, happy environment
Cons
Management changes, no promised followed through, very stressful.
It was a good place, with an understanding staff
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702September 18, 2018
I enjoyed working there, my coworkers were helpful and supportive, and the customers were generally kind and patient. I was glad to be able to help others pursue a passion for reading.
Cut-throat and unstable
TEMPORARY TEXTBOOK BOOKSELLER (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WASeptember 18, 2018
When I worked at the Bookie during the August student rush I enjoyed interacting with my fellow employees, however there was always an underlying tension since we knew that out of the 50 they had hired that they would only keep 12. We competed on the daily for the best compliments from customers, and it made it difficult to ask for help for fear that they might take the good review that could get you a job for the next year. At the end of the term they suddenly told people that they were no longer needed and were expected to leave. I felt this was incredibly rude as I felt they could have easily talk with each of us the week before to let us know if we were staying or leaving so we could start looking for the next job.
Pros
20% discount on textbooks
Cons
constant stress over whether they will need you the next day/week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K