Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

General REtail position
Cafe Manager (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 26, 2017
It is ok. The day is grueling. The use of the break system is ok and the use of the days off policy is sometimes difficult to operate, particularly during holidays. The opportunity for growth is dependent upon the region of the country you are living in.
Great company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2017
Barnes and Noble is a highly successful company. Always looking at new concepts and creativity to increase its presence in the marketplace. They encourage a positive work place and they always ensure that employees are happy in their current position. They have a success we kisten program where employees can voice out their concerns or ideas. Great company to work for.
Productive, fun work place with great management
Bookseller, Cashier, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 25, 2017
I have worked for B&N for over 2 years, and I always tell people how much I love my job. But just like any job (especially retail), it has its cons. At times the work and the amount of it can be stressful and overwhelming, but management helps to delegate and bring the focus back to sales. The management I have witnessed is competent, respectful, understanding, and fun. For most booksellers, your responsibilities change each shift depending on your daily assignment: customer service, cashiering, etc. Because of this, I’ve obtained many skills across a broad area of study: checking out customers at the register, searching and locating product, customer servicing, order processing, and more. Most of the work involves simply learning by experience. But as a book lover, sharing that love with people is certainly the best part of the job, and something I’ll always look back on fondly.
Pros
Flexible hours, adequate breaks, annual pay raise, good management, fun environment
Cons
Difficult advancement, stressful environment
Great coworkers and managers.
customer service (Current Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 24, 2017
It is a fast paced environment made possible by hard working employees, leadership from managers and ever evolving business practices. Seven days a week the store caters to thousands of customers from all over the country and international tourists as well.The traffic of customers may be the most difficult to handle. It is however made easier by the experience possessed by both veteran coworkers and management as well as tools we have to use to cater to each person. Management is active and in constant communication with booksellers giving them the autonomy to handle important tasks throughout the day while still giving exemplary service to any potential customer in need. I have learned new ways to multitask, how to be a professional in even the most strenuous of moments and how to be a more social person with both customers and coworkers.
Pros
Employee discounts, coworkers, trustworthy management
Cons
Can be understaffed at time
This was boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richland, WANovember 22, 2017
This job was not fast-paced enough to keep my attention. It was peaceful and quiet, but there was no competition and there was no incentive to succeed, as I recall.
B&N has always been a great place to work and very family oriented.
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXNovember 22, 2017
I enjoy working at B&N and always have. However, it has recently become apparent that there may not be any room for me to advance and therefore, I have decided that it may be more beneficial for me to move on.
Very well organized work place
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CANovember 21, 2017
I love Barnes and nobles , it was very calm and collective they pay was great and the costumer service was awesome if your into books that's a great job
Constantly Revolving Door
No floor support
Unrealistic goals
Crumbling facilities
No respect for employees
Pros
Discount
Cons
People
Interesting experience.
Lead Barista/Shift Supervisor/Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 20, 2017
Very quick paced. All of my coworkers were phenomenal and so were the regulars. High expectations are set and are achievable but may intervene with personal life. Would recommend as a stepping stone job.
Pros
Half off café products
Cons
Healthcare is too expensive and not worth it
They are okay
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLNovember 20, 2017
The place is alright. The management could use a kick in the pants. They like to get people from outside to take jobs from the internal employees who deserve the promotions way more.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay, no advancement
Loved working here
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CANovember 20, 2017
My first job was working at Barnes and Noble, and I never hated going to work. My coworkers were awesome and I helping people with any book inquiries that they had.
cool
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 20, 2017
liked working the morning easy to get in and get out have the rest of the day to yourself. around noon it always got hectic no matter what day it was. Thats what makes the time go by pretty fast
A fast paced position with several responsibilities
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHNovember 19, 2017
The people I worked with were helpful and very nice, I enjoyed working with the customers, learned new skills. My manager was great.

My hours fit my life, I was busy all the time and had training when I first started. I also took extra shifts when an associate was unable to come. Customer service and sales was our primary goal
Pros
Decent breaks and lunch time
Cons
Fine if you need something to do
Barista (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 18, 2017
They pay so far below other employers, but honestly the job is ridiculously easy. It's impossible to get fired, so sometimes you have to work with people who are slightly unpleasant or who don't care. But it's very slow paced, standards are really low. If you don't need money, and you just want to fill hours in your day and you don't mind having a lot of time to think, it's not terrible. Most of management just seems bored, and they don't care very much.
Pros
slow, easy work
Cons
bad pay
work
book seller (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 17, 2017
If there's nothing to do or if business is too slow; they start cutting hours which cuts pay and your already making minimum wage so..just keep that in mind
Great place to work and meet people
Bookstore Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 17, 2017
I learned a lot about order and purchasing merchandise. The workplace culture was AWESOME I absolutely enjoyed going to work and making the store a pleasant place to come and shop.
Pros
Meeting and helping customers
Cons
Advancement
Great place
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Township of Monroe, NJNovember 16, 2017
Pick orders with hand held scanner .i learned how to work a scanner the mangement was wonderful there . Work place culture was Great most enjoyable part was don't the orders
Pros
Liked working there
Cons
No cons
Relaxed but with limited opportunities
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2017
Had the pleasure of working with this company for a very long time. This was my first real job so I learned a great deal working with amazing staff and management to create a productive workplace. The only thing I will say is that opportunities for advancement are rare to come by. The work hours can be sometimes almost less than 10 hours. I did work in a Barnes and Noble on a college campus so there wasn't a huge influx of customers. The work flow is not too stressful but it can be when school semester starts. I loved the staff I worked with. Management could be difficult to work with sometimes but all in all as long as work is done and numbers are good, there should be nothing to worry about. Salary could improve for staff.
Pros
staff, flexibility in hours, relaxed pace
Cons
hours, advancement, salary
Extraordinary experience
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE DISTRICT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CANovember 14, 2017
Working for the American's largest bookseller was extraordinary. I had the privilege to experienced such a diverse environment in Barnes & Nobles with minimal experience. I was conducting two part-time employment at the time both rewarding at the end of my employment. I love taking action and finding solutions for the staff and for the public sector.
Pros
Educational.
Cons
Benefits.
Great establishment
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 13, 2017
I loved working for this company. I started out as a temp to permanent. There is so much room for higher advancement in this company. I started as a cashier and was advanced to Bookkeeper.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.