Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Fun Place to Work
Bookseller/Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYJuly 3, 2018
Store usually stayed pretty busy and there were people in & out all day so the time went by faster. Always something to be working on. Being on a college campus made for an enjoyable work environment.
It's not great
Sales and Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJuly 2, 2018
Overall pretty bad. They overload the managers with projects and then slash hours so we can't staff properly to accommodate customer service or completing projects to maintain the store.
Fun people to work with, not organized enough.
Book Seller, Barista (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 2, 2018
People are fun to work with, but when the cafe get busy it can be very unorganized. Managers can lack some communication skills or tact when talking about position changes and employee responsibilities.
Not a job for those that need hours and money
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJuly 2, 2018
It's very fast-paced in the beginning when every student needs textbooks and then gets slower-paced throughout the rest of the semester. Management was very passive aggressive. Hours weren't scheduled fairly. Liked the coworkers and the discount.
Fun work place
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 30, 2018
I worked at the Cafe part of Barnes and Noble. It was challenging and very gratifying. Enjoyed making coffees and desserts and interacting with customers.
Pros
Half price drinks and desserts
Better Experience
Barista and Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 30, 2018
Barnes and Noble was certainly a dream job. Though my experience didn't last long I met a lot of good people there. Staffing wasn't always great, but it gave me opportunity to get experience as a bookseller. I was a bookseller in-training and preferred that to working café. Selling books is a great experience. And the benefits of Advanced reader Copies is something I'll always treasure! The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with someone less experienced, or even for myself trying to find a good way to sell memberships. Workplace culture… ehh, management wasn't the best, in-fact they were a big creepy and sometimes a bit high-handed due to the their roles as store-managers. I learned that selling books is what I want to do, for a long time.
Pros
Reduced-pay lunches, good food, Advanced Reader Copies of Books, Customer Experiences and Conversation.
Cons
Poor Management, Understaffing, Lack-of-Communications, Double-Standards held between management and associates.
Productive and fun.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Homestead, PA 15120June 29, 2018
When I didn't have to deal with the food and drinks, I had to maintain the dining floor and change trash. The managers were nice and so were the co workers. They truly didn't let their outside life effect. Plus the discounts were very nice. I will definitely miss those.
Great Teamwork, Not enough salary for the hours and hectic schedule
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60614June 29, 2018
Barnes and Noble is great, you make the best of friends in your coworkers and are all mostly supportive of each other. The issue is the hectic schedule, the inconsistent hours, and the low pay. It is minimum wage and for how often we need people and have to go above and beyond to just make it through I think we deserve more pay.
Pros
50% off cafe, 30% off books
Cons
salary and hours inconsistent
I love this job and always will
Cafe Staff (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJune 29, 2018
This job taught me how to work better. It taught me how to work better with people, how to talk better with guests, how to manage my time at work better. It showed me that people do work in retail for their full-time jobs and I gave more respect to the company, my coworkers, and to myself for having this wonderful job. Even if it is retail. I loved what I do and I can confidently say that my coworkers do to. My coworkers wanted to be there at work and so did all of our wonderful guests. I worked in the Cafe and I loved it! We had regulars and they are all very lovely.
enjoyed books
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresh Meadows, NYJune 28, 2018
Working at this company has been a great experience, the problem that I endured was the lack of pay. There is no room for growth in this company. If you are a college student then yes, good first job.
Nice part-time work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Fairless Hills, PAJune 28, 2018
It was fun working at Barnes and Noble, but aside from a one-time raise of a dollar back when that sort of thing was (briefly) in vogue, I received little to make my time there worthwhile. Aside from the occasional promise of a promotion somewhere in the future to keep me from quitting, there was really no reason for me to work there long term, despite a chill work environment and the joy of working in a bookstore. The pay, after taxes, was around $7 /hr, and there were no benefits to speak of. If you don't have kids or rent, it's a great job for you. Oddly, there is a high learning curve to working there, which is inconsistent with their turnover rate.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Low pay, little room for advancement, overwhelming feeling of doom as the company dies
Book Business has Changed
Kids Lead (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 28, 2018
I worked with some great people at this company, but as a bookseller with over a decade of experience it was painful to watch the company continue to make poor, cutthroat decisions more and more frequently. Truly sad.
Fun relaxed place to work
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILJune 28, 2018
Not overly stressful for a retail job, but selling memberships is pushed and your membership percentages are important. They try to cross train employees in all areas (cash, bookfloor, cafe) so you get experience in different aspects of customer service/retail work.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Hours can be hard to come by in certain times of the year
BandN was a positve work experience
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJune 28, 2018
Most employees were interested in reading and as such we had a healthy work environment where discussion of books was encouraged. The later time spent working there was more stressful though as the managers would put more pressure on the employees to serve the customers better.
Sad to see it go
Cafe training manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 28, 2018
It was great when I started 7 years ago. But the last 3 years were very hard in the company. Corporate wanted more work done with less people andnitnlead to very low employee morale. I was finally
Promoted to Cafe training manager; which turns out comes with no real extra compensation and alotnmore work. The training program is terrible and mostly self lead; with no time to do it. A few months ago they laid off all non manager full timers, donyou are ei Yet s manager or part time. Was very stressful to perform with no employees to schedule. I doubt They last another year.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Terrible store manager morale was low due to company changes
Amazing, fun, never boring
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 27, 2018
Cashiering was fun on busy days. My favorite area to work in was at the information desk. It was never boring there. The kids department sometimes got a little out of hand. I was blessed to have wonderful managers and amazing coworkers.
Fun and relaxed
Barista (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 27, 2018
I enjoyed every minute of working here, the perks were great and staff were so fun to work with but just never enough hours scheduled. It was hard making a living and paying bills on $9 and hour and only 20 hours a week
Pros
Employee discount, employees, managers, flexible with life
Cons
Only part time work
Don't do it
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 27, 2018
I am very much unappreciated for the work I do and am looking to leave as soon as possible. The job can be disgusting at times and there is no appreciation for that either
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Flaky managers
Decent job
Cafe Server/Barista (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2018
The coworkers made this job so much better. The management had a tendency to ask you for above and beyond without even giving raises or an incentive to go above and beyond. But it’s a good job to have while you go for something more permanent.
Pros
50% off Cafe food, 30% off books
Productive and fun with an emphasis on customer service
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2018
Working at Barnes & Nobles was honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made. My coworkers and managers were extremely friendly and helpful. There is a lot to do in the store to maintain it, but all responsibilities are shared evenly and we are encouraged to cooperate and work together to tackle problems. Managers often listened to requests, such as wanting to work on the floor instead of the registers, and tried to assign workers to places they seemed to do the best in. There is a heavy emphasis on customer service at Barnes & Noble, which is a really nice feeling. Instead of being more focused on the product, which many retail places fall prey to, Barnes & Noble insists that the customers come first. It was more important to greet and help customers than anything else. The managers even had a "place the book in their hand" policy, which essentially meant that if a customer approaches you, you don't leave them alone until you've helped them to the best of the store's collective ability. Pretty much everything about working here was wonderful, from the people to the workplace itself. The most challenging things to deal with are Fridays, Saturdays, and holidays. Fridays and Saturdays are always very busy, which means there's little time to complete any tasks that need to be done. Holidays are always even busier, but the store usually schedules extra employees to compensate, so it's never too much to handle.
Pros
Discounts on everything, friendly enviornment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K