Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

One of the best jobs I've had
Cafe Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 5, 2018
Incredibly fun, great place to work if you consider yourself nerdy. Everyone is great with each other, it's like it's one big family. Plus books and coffee/tea! How better can life get? I went in knowing absolutely NOTHING about coffee. I had wonderful coworkers and trainers to get me up to speed and I had a TON of fun being a barista.
Pros
Great coworkers and environment, fun place to work, cool discounts, fun events
Cons
No benefits, low pay
A stressful workplace where nothing is ever management's fault
Barista (Former Employee) –  Chico, CA 95928July 4, 2018
While this job isn't really that difficult, it's outstandingly stressful due to the lack of proper leadership. Management is very shortsighted and will never accept any responsibility for the things they do.
i loved being a bookseller
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 3, 2018
being passionate about books and becoming a bookseller is like a calling, but the changes that the company has undergone are making it increasing difficult to stay with the company.
I loved working here
Barista at Cafè (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 3, 2018
It was a fun and fast pace environment to work in the people are great they were like family to me and still are. I worked in the café area and made coffee drinks from scratch. I enjoyed myself while I was there.
Great place to work, if they have work for you
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJuly 3, 2018
Great culture and company to work for, but it is a difficult business. They often over or under worked me for the hours I was supposed to be getting, i.e. giving me 32+ hours as a part timer, or less than 28 as a full timer. The full time positions change a lot and there is less room for advancement than there used to be. Raises happen annually, typically 00.25-00.50 an hour. But the starting rate is usually very low, even for experienced workers. The work, customers, and coworkers, are truly exceptional.
Pros
Great culture, customers, coworkers
Cons
Pay, hours
Company is sinking
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  naJuly 3, 2018
Company is scrambling to stay afloat. payroll cuts so deep that managers are stressed and stretched beyond capacity. People are going to lose their jobs soon.
Fun Place to Work
Bookseller/Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYJuly 3, 2018
Store usually stayed pretty busy and there were people in & out all day so the time went by faster. Always something to be working on. Being on a college campus made for an enjoyable work environment.
It's not great
Sales and Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJuly 2, 2018
Overall pretty bad. They overload the managers with projects and then slash hours so we can't staff properly to accommodate customer service or completing projects to maintain the store.
Fun people to work with, not organized enough.
Book Seller, Barista (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 2, 2018
People are fun to work with, but when the cafe get busy it can be very unorganized. Managers can lack some communication skills or tact when talking about position changes and employee responsibilities.
Not a job for those that need hours and money
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJuly 2, 2018
It's very fast-paced in the beginning when every student needs textbooks and then gets slower-paced throughout the rest of the semester. Management was very passive aggressive. Hours weren't scheduled fairly. Liked the coworkers and the discount.
Fun work place
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 30, 2018
I worked at the Cafe part of Barnes and Noble. It was challenging and very gratifying. Enjoyed making coffees and desserts and interacting with customers.
Pros
Half price drinks and desserts
Better Experience
Barista and Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 30, 2018
Barnes and Noble was certainly a dream job. Though my experience didn't last long I met a lot of good people there. Staffing wasn't always great, but it gave me opportunity to get experience as a bookseller. I was a bookseller in-training and preferred that to working café. Selling books is a great experience. And the benefits of Advanced reader Copies is something I'll always treasure! The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with someone less experienced, or even for myself trying to find a good way to sell memberships. Workplace culture… ehh, management wasn't the best, in-fact they were a big creepy and sometimes a bit high-handed due to the their roles as store-managers. I learned that selling books is what I want to do, for a long time.
Pros
Reduced-pay lunches, good food, Advanced Reader Copies of Books, Customer Experiences and Conversation.
Cons
Poor Management, Understaffing, Lack-of-Communications, Double-Standards held between management and associates.
Productive and fun.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Homestead, PA 15120June 29, 2018
When I didn't have to deal with the food and drinks, I had to maintain the dining floor and change trash. The managers were nice and so were the co workers. They truly didn't let their outside life effect. Plus the discounts were very nice. I will definitely miss those.
Great Teamwork, Not enough salary for the hours and hectic schedule
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60614June 29, 2018
Barnes and Noble is great, you make the best of friends in your coworkers and are all mostly supportive of each other. The issue is the hectic schedule, the inconsistent hours, and the low pay. It is minimum wage and for how often we need people and have to go above and beyond to just make it through I think we deserve more pay.
Pros
50% off cafe, 30% off books
Cons
salary and hours inconsistent
I love this job and always will
Cafe Staff (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJune 29, 2018
This job taught me how to work better. It taught me how to work better with people, how to talk better with guests, how to manage my time at work better. It showed me that people do work in retail for their full-time jobs and I gave more respect to the company, my coworkers, and to myself for having this wonderful job. Even if it is retail. I loved what I do and I can confidently say that my coworkers do to. My coworkers wanted to be there at work and so did all of our wonderful guests. I worked in the Cafe and I loved it! We had regulars and they are all very lovely.
enjoyed books
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresh Meadows, NYJune 28, 2018
Working at this company has been a great experience, the problem that I endured was the lack of pay. There is no room for growth in this company. If you are a college student then yes, good first job.
Nice part-time work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Fairless Hills, PAJune 28, 2018
It was fun working at Barnes and Noble, but aside from a one-time raise of a dollar back when that sort of thing was (briefly) in vogue, I received little to make my time there worthwhile. Aside from the occasional promise of a promotion somewhere in the future to keep me from quitting, there was really no reason for me to work there long term, despite a chill work environment and the joy of working in a bookstore. The pay, after taxes, was around $7 /hr, and there were no benefits to speak of. If you don't have kids or rent, it's a great job for you. Oddly, there is a high learning curve to working there, which is inconsistent with their turnover rate.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Low pay, little room for advancement, overwhelming feeling of doom as the company dies
Book Business has Changed
Kids Lead (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 28, 2018
I worked with some great people at this company, but as a bookseller with over a decade of experience it was painful to watch the company continue to make poor, cutthroat decisions more and more frequently. Truly sad.
Fun relaxed place to work
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILJune 28, 2018
Not overly stressful for a retail job, but selling memberships is pushed and your membership percentages are important. They try to cross train employees in all areas (cash, bookfloor, cafe) so you get experience in different aspects of customer service/retail work.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Hours can be hard to come by in certain times of the year
BandN was a positve work experience
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJune 28, 2018
Most employees were interested in reading and as such we had a healthy work environment where discussion of books was encouraged. The later time spent working there was more stressful though as the managers would put more pressure on the employees to serve the customers better.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K