Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace. Love the people!
Head Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXDecember 7, 2017
You have to straighten up the store, restock shelves and put up displays. Things are pretty straightforward and structured with enough leeway to augment things as needed. The people are super fun to work with and the managers are fairly understanding and willing to work with you when they can. Customer service is a huge part of the job and multitasking can help. I've learned about efficiently performing tasks and being able to help difficult customers and situations.
Pros
Discounts, coworkers, flexibility
Cons
Sometimes hours being cut, sometimes rude/entitled customers
I miss working here
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJDecember 7, 2017
It was always fun to go into work and be greeted by the work family. The other Baristas were amazing and the assistant store manager at the time was absolutely phenomenal! The only part of the job that was difficult would have been the rushes, but once you get good enough at the job it's not so bad.
Pros
discounted products, decent break times
Cons
lack of staffing
A lot of work goes into making a bookstore great
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  CTDecember 7, 2017
If you love books and reading this should be a great place to work, although you'll have to do your reading on your own time. It's a common misconception that booksellers hang around and read when there's nothing to do. Actually, there are never enough hours or employees to get all the jobs done and so you're really expected to hustle.

You can expect a typical day to be a lot of running around, or at least walking at a very fast pace-always. Each day is a different challenge. Aside from answering many phone calls, assisting customers in locating their items, placing orders, ringing up purchases at the registers, and keeping the store tidy, you could spend time shelving the never-ending supply of newly arrived merchandise, taking down displays and putting up new displays, dusting the sales floor, making sure all sections are in their correct company-approved order, and assisting customers with trouble-shooting their e-reader devices.

My favorite part of the job: finding just the right book and knowing I've helped the customer, or when a returning customer let me know they enjoyed a recommendation I'd made. Also participating in or directing events for kids and families, like storytimes.

The hardest part: disappointing a customer, for whatever reason, be it that their book is not in stock, their order didn't arrive on time, etc. It can be kind of crazy to see how that might really ruin a person's day.

Another difficulty being seen and felt everywhere is online retailers. They're not going away, though, and all brick-and-mortar stores are struggling to remain relevant. It
  more... can be frustrating to lose sales to the internet after working to assist a customer in locating their item only to have them say they'll order online.  less
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
pushing the membership, competiton with online retailers
Limited Growth
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 7, 2017
The work was fine but could be considered very repetitive. The company only hired part time staff so that they wouldn't have to pay for benefits which limits the growth as an employee
Pros
Calm environment
Cons
No benefits, limited growth potential
Awful management
Cafe Lead (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CADecember 6, 2017
Self explanatory - terrible management at every level including regional. They just kept replacing bad managers with worse ones. The store will be closed in the next year.
Seasonal
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHDecember 6, 2017
I’m working there currently as a seasonal employee. It’s usually pretty busy and everyone is really nice. I can’t work Friday, Saturday, or Monday and they still work with me!
Best Place
Barista (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 5, 2017
Barnes and Noble is the best place to work if you're a student. Super flexible hours, great discounts, and the greatest employees and managers! I love working at Barnes and Noble
it was hard work for me
Pick and Pack Associate/QC Auditor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, NJDecember 5, 2017
it was quite hard work for me as I have to lift heavy boxes through out the day . I was enjoying QC work but it was very less . timing was good so I can balance family life .
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
heavy work
If you love books, you'll enjoy it!
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 5, 2017
The company is always in a transition because it's trying to compete with their major competitors. The management team is expected to always perform. Everyone is passionate about at least one genre in the store and it's fun to learn about new literature. The discounts are great, especially in the cafe.
Pros
Discounts, staff, products
Cons
No set shifts, unreasonable expectations
Management lacking
Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 4, 2017
Long time employees and assistant managers were highly insecure around new, part time, seasonal employees. The job is a piece of cake and can be quite fun if you don't allow their negative attitudes to get to you. The best advice during downtime is to find things yourself to keep busy with as the permanent folks don't like to share tasks & often make mountains out of molehills. Enjoy the customers, most are pretty great. Remember the reasons you are there & maybe one day the manager will re-evaluate who should stay & who really needs to go. We were told during the initial interview process by assistant managers to not say we loved books because no one there gets to read. This was weird because you don't read on any job but a love of books is still a valid reason for wanting to work in a BOOK store.
Pros
Customers, discount
Cons
Job insecurity, poor attitudes
Poor place to work
Tradebook & Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 1, 2017
No room to grow and poor management. Management is not efficient. All employees are underpaid and there are no set training guidelines. Work environment is very stressful.
I liked the job, but felt it could’ve been better had the company not decided to base so much of their focus on the Nook reader.
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXNovember 30, 2017
I love reading & so a job @ Barnes & Noble was Awesome! Sadly the corporate need to focus on greed made the job less fun. I was good at selling books, but that never mattered as the instructions were to always hawk the Barnes & Noble card & convince people they needed the Nook reader. I do have great appreciation for the Nook, I just feel too much was focused on it & feel I was proved right a few years after I left I heard the reader essentially became part of a different company. As far as the Barnes & Noble card went, I feel it was more of a rip off than an advantage & it really depressed me when the little old folks on fixed incomes that would never actually learn how to use the card to their advantage would ask for the card. While I never told them my opinion ~ I felt guilty. It’s not right to treat people that way & I’m glad I don’t have to sell that card anymore. I think it’s sad that the corporate world chooses to create cash cows like that card rather than just letting good sales people do their job of selling things people want to buy.
Pros
never ending books, no uniforms
Cons
barnes & noble card, elf on the shelf
Fun place to work with great customers
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 30, 2017
I enjoy working with Customers at Barnes & Noble. Helping Customers find books, helping children pick out a book to read and the flexible hours are the perks working at Barnes & Noble.
low pay great managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cocoa, FLNovember 30, 2017
I started this job my second year at BCC as a work study and eventually signed on to be employed longer. My manager was great I just needed more pay and I was switching my field of study to healthcare
Part-Time Bookseller
Calculating sales (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2017
In my time as a bookseller for B&N College, the management and overall job culture have both been beyond amazing. They are flexible to your schedule based on your classes and other occupations or commitments, and the work is fairly easy and sometimes fast paced. However, I don't believe I am paid fairly, simply because of the wide range of responsibilities I have to take care of on a day-to-day basis. Great place to grow comfortable with professionally speaking to people, and becoming familiar with sales operations.
Pros
Employee discounts and sometimes free or discounted food items
Cons
Only 15-30 minute lunches, have to stand all day
books and awesome people
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CANovember 29, 2017
Barnes and Noble is a great place to work, I am a book worm so i really like being around the books. The management is awesome and really take care of you (even since i was part time)
Pros
you get to read books
great atmosphere
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 28, 2017
Loved coming to work: learning new information each day. Loved to check out books to work on. Culture was fantastic: several marriages came from the Frederick Barnes and Noble.
Pros
Wonderful close knit people/atmosphere
Cons
too early to come to work at 7 with an hour drive with a first grader
dependable team
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 28, 2017
all of the management team was a tight. they all helped each other out and made sure that the store was run equally in all of the departments. they made sure each others staff was acting as they should and doing their jobs correctly. it was team work at its best.
really enjoyed the company as a whole with wanting to make every ones day better.
Pros
warm inviting company to owrk for
Cons
Fun place to work with customers
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2017
Ultimately great place for helping customers and great co-workers but the culture is built for people with no aspiration for upward mobility. . praise is rare . and criticism is quick . The company seems to be having an identity crisis and toys are more of the focus, the problem is that getting more of what you sell well is difficult. time management for replenishment is a challenge. as directions from upper mgmt conflict with the needs of the individual store.
best part of the job coworkers.
hardest part getting the job done with the limited time you have
most enjoyable - the books
Standard retail experience
Responsible sales (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 27, 2017
Barnes & Noble likes to tell people to come and work for them if they love books. In reality it's a typical retail job. You're just as likely to be stocking toys or working the registers as you are selling books. If you've ever worked a low-end retail job you know what it's like to work for B&N.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.