Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Absolutely loved working here
Barista (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIOctober 2, 2018
The people at Barnes and Noble were the best part. We were like a little community. The job was very easy and fast-paced. The management was excellent. I have no complaints there. I would recommend working here to anyone.
Too much micromanagement and no days off
Café Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYOctober 1, 2018
I was hired as the cafe supervisor and promised opportunity for advancement; the manager quit, so having only been there about 2 weeks, I had to do his job and mine for the same pay and was still being trained myself, by the employees I was supposed to be overseeing. Management was disrespectful and condescending and I consistently got scheduled to close and then open the next day.

A perk was that I really enjoyed most of my coworkers, they were sweet! The employee discount on food was also awesome, but we were never allowed to take home things that were "spoiling" (AKA fresh food that goes against health codes after 2 days) - I suggested donating the excess food and it's against company policy. Such a waste.
Pros
Coworkers, employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, pay, management, scheduling
Fun place to work
Cafe Lead (Current Employee) –  State College, PAOctober 1, 2018
At both BN locations I worked at, I loved the management team. Everyone is friendly and is willing to help as many customers as they can. The workplace is pretty laidback but have expectations for everyone.
Pros
great discounts, scheduled breaks so you don't miss one
Cons
some days are busy and others are slow
It was nice
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 30, 2018
I worked for a campus bookstore, so it got pretty hectic during the first few weeks of classes, but other than that, it was pretty chill. I mainly worked in the twxt book department.
Pros
Discounts!
Cons
Rush week customers
16 years for what?
MERCHANIDSE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 30, 2018
Worked for the company for 16 years. Unfortunately, politics and nepotism that occurred in the area kept me from moving to a store closer to home. Upper management in the area is completely awful.
Pros
Coworkers, discount
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NJSeptember 29, 2018
The place is awesome. You want to go there everyday. It is nice. It is a fun place to be and the work is not that hard as you think it is. I have a great time there.
Great Job
barista, deliver samples and operate cash register (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 29, 2018
Everyone works well together and looks out for each other. The managers care about the workers and they train them extensively. It is a safe and clean environment.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Was once a great place to work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fort, ALSeptember 28, 2018
Barnes and Noble was once a great place to work! Not anymore. It’s gone from being a bookstore with heart, to a company that doesn’t care about its employees. They won’t hire any full time employees anymore because they don’t want to have to pay benefits. They believe they are going to save themselves 40 million dollars by doing this. The only thing that this will do for them is keep them afloat for a little longer.
You were once great.
R.I.P. Barnes and Noble.
Simple cafe to work at, like a Starbucks with less drinks.
Cafe Server (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 28, 2018
A regular day at work was pretty simple. We had a lot of regulars, so it was easy to get orders ready for those people, and they were all sympathetic when things didn't work smoothly.

The management for the store was effective, but the manager to the cafe was abysmal.
The most stressful part of the job was anytime we had some sort of school event, it was just a lot all at once, but nothing necessarily horrible.
Pros
Discounts on store stuff
close nit group of coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 28, 2018
I only worked part time. but the people i worked with were great. The work was pleasant, and the managers were always helpful. Great job for a college or high school student who like to read.
Productive and Carefree Environment
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILSeptember 28, 2018
The store in Geneva Commons is a quick paced environment. It is important to be on task and do several things at once. One must work on a project and help customers in person and on the phones. Management will keep you on track of the projects and customer service for the day. The employees are friendly and will answer any questions new employees have. If you enjoy reading, this is the place for you.
poor
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 28, 2018
Shot themselves in the foot. After they stopped being book focused and spread out into tangential areas, they completely lost the objectives of why they were a book store.
ok
sales/cashier (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXSeptember 27, 2018
it was a good company to work for, if you lile books and people it doesnt even feel like a job, but the paid its not fair and not benefits can scare many people
Company Lacks Vision
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYSeptember 27, 2018
The current workplace culture at Barnes & Noble is exceptionally strained and stressful. The company has undergone several changes in CEOs as well as changes in the executive management level. The company has struggled with its identity a specialty retailer as well as its position in the retail market. Earlier this year, Barnes & Noble executed a staff reduction of approximately 1800 personnel, all of which were department heads, including staff who were responsible for key areas of operations of the daily operations of the store. A typical day of work as a manager includes being directly responsible for all facets of operating a large retail operation. Upper-level senior management has provided little support or resources necessary for the continued growth and prosperity of the company, resulting in a turnover rate on all levels of not previously experienced in the company. The most difficult part of the job is attempting to execute company initiatives for increased sales and an outstanding customer experience with limited resources, direction and vision. Conversely, the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers and the booksellers, driving sales, effective merchandising. Among some of the things I have learned is that both individuals and organizations alike need to anticipate and respond to changes in that marketplace and make strategic changes in order to capitalize on and succeed in a competitive environment.
Pros
Employee discount, 401K, Health benefits available
Cons
Lack of clear vision for the company future, job uncertainty
A great job.
server & Barista (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WA 98072September 27, 2018
Good training culture, they make sure you're equipped to actually doing things without throwing you on the ropes. Relaxed environment, and I never had any concerns of not physically being able to keep the store stocked or to satisfy all the customers, which I've dealt with before. Great working culture as well, although there's some gossip (but where isn't there workplace gossip, really?)
Enjoyable people and relaxed environment
Store Clerk/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 26, 2018
At the beginning of the semester it stayed very busy, constantly. As the semester advanced it grew slow and boring because many people had already gotten their textbooks. They are wonderful people to work with and productivity is key. Some managers are nicer than others.
A hard place
Bookseller/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2018
Barnes and Noble in downtown DC (no longer in business) was a difficult place to work. It kept you on your toes because of it's location. In addition to that, we had so many different personalities to work with on a daily basis that it was hard to know how to approach people.

The management left much to be desired. The general manager did not listen to the regional manager and this caused problems when it came to inventory.

The best part of the job was suggesting and finding books for customers who weren't sure what to read, and to later learn that they loved the title you chose for them.

The worst part were those who came in and took out their anger on you.
Pros
Seeing new book arrivals, book signings
Cons
Short lunches, some of the managers were not good with people
Nice team members
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJSeptember 24, 2018
Overall, it's a good place to work. However, some people would call out a lot. The people who I worked with were nice but I couldn't adjust to the atmosphere of the place.
Typical day at work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 24, 2018
A typical day at work starts off by being given a long list of tasks to take on by yourself with no help from managers or supervisors. Long hours of hauling boxes and books from one floor to the other. The atmosphere is not very friendly amongst the employees either.
Its a selling culture
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VASeptember 24, 2018
making money is the bottom line. selling membership cards and upselling titles are what drives the business. just like any retail job, you deal with good and bad customers. the company has shifted from a book selling company to just making money and sometimes by any means. cutting hours and positions has become the new norm.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Pressure to sell membership cards, and upsell. Low wage and no commission

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K