Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Sad to go
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 20, 2018
I really loved working at Barnes and Noble. The team was wonderful, and very willing to feed my need to learn something new each day. I was hired to work the customer service desk, and by the end of my time as a seasonal employee I had also learned several other duties in store (inventory counts, cashier, returns, stocking, etc).
Pros
Great team and management
Cons
Not able to stay past seasonal position due to lack of openings.
pleasant
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJune 20, 2018
working for Barnes & Noble Education you become a part of a family. everyone knows everyone and helps you out. the company is understanding and looks out for their employees.
Bookseller and Cafe Cook
Bookseller and Cafe Cook (Former Employee) –  Cook, INJune 20, 2018
This job was not related to my field of study so I was really only there to help make some extra money for college expenses. At first it was nice and I was able to submit times that I was unable to work. Later they started scheduling me even when I asked to be off. They even scheduled me during my final exams. That was the final straw and I had to quit.
Corporate has destroyed the nice working environment at Barnes and Noble.
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 18, 2018
My coworkers and managers at my store were great and treated me well. However, when it came to corporate, they were constantly piling more impossible demands onto low level workers because their company is failing. Secret shoppers have become the biggest priority which leads to pressure on employees for overenthusiastic customer service that only alienates customers. Who wants to be asked if they need help by 10 different people? The concentration on memberships and email captures makes genuine interaction with customers feel strained.
They recently cut thousands of full-time non managerial positions, positions that they had previously ensured those employees were secure. Many of these people had been working with Barnes and Noble for over 10 years. On a corporate level, Barnes and Noble doesn't care about its employees in its stores. As they cut full time careers, part time workers and a few managers are left to pick up the slack for abhorrently low pay.
Pros
discount
Cons
terrible pay, corporate pressure
Fun workplace
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2018
B&N was a great place to work. Workers and customers are very knowledgeable about books. Get to meet people of all types. Learn new things. Relaxed environment
Pros
discounts
Cons
Pto
Review
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Allen Park, MIJune 18, 2018
Barnes and Noble was not a terrible place to work, but the manager was not the best and I couldn't take that they cut everyone's hours. The dress code was very linnet so that was nice!
good work place
Material Handler, Packaging (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 18, 2018
This warehouse is great if you speak Spanish. The company can be quite isolating if you do not speak Spanish. They try to accommodate, though. Everyone is very nice.
really nice and fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 17, 2018
The employees & staff were really kind and fun, i had a great time working there. They all were very understanding and patient. great first experience.
Intelligent work environment
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJune 16, 2018
This is the job for you if you enjoy reading and want to know more about the world of book-selling. The culture was great and enlightening. The hardest part of the job is when customers complain about prices. We simply can't compete with the prices available on Amazon. Also, more focus is spent on us trying to sell memberships and B&N credit cards than the books.
Pros
Discounted books, free advance reader book copies, rental system
Cons
the declining industry
Great place to work, pay not withstanding
Community Business Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 16, 2018
The managers at the store I work in, were very knowledgeable and willing to teach you. The store ran smoothly and everyone worked as part of a team. Sure there were times when things got busy and hectic but we handled it well. We were always trained to make our customers our primary focus. I work there part time. I have worked different positions and it is great but the pay could be a lot better. That being said the discount we get really helps me stay a bookworm and their book-borrow program is amazing.
Pros
Associate appreciation days, discount, book-borrowing, flexible schedule
Cons
Insufficient pay, no overtime
17 years—a good experience overall
Music, Book, and nook Seller (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 16, 2018
How do I sum up 17 years? There have been *lots* of changes, especially since 2014. I will keep this simple—If you need to make a little extra money and want to work with genuinely great people in a more relaxed retail atmosphere, work at Barnes and Noble. I've been a former employee for over a year, and I still keep in touch with just about everyone I worked with at my store over my 17 years there.
Pros
Great people, great environment
Cons
Low pay, and benefits have gradually disappeared for most
It was okay
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAJune 15, 2018
My manager was not the best and didn't show much respect for communication.
The company wasn't very tuned towards the employees and more on the sales numbers.
Pros
discounts
Cons
company first, employees second
Productive workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 15, 2018
This was a faced paced environment with friendly co-workers. We had the opportunity to meet all walks of people and help assist with books, snacks, drinks and other items.
Pros
free lunches for gratification.
Cons
short lunch hours
Struggling to Find Its Identity
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 15, 2018
Barnes & Noble, at the height of its success in the early 2000's was a great place to work with energy, autonomy, and potential to move up in the company. Sadly, those days are over. People don't buy books like they used to just a decade ago, and when they do they prefer not to leave the house to do it. B&N has struggled to find its identity and pivot its stores into places where people feel the need to go (the much-vaunted "third space"). Leadership hasn't figured out how to do this, but in the meantime, hours have been cut, cost-cutting measures implemented, and lots of micromanagement occurs. The pressure is on, and you feel it every hour of every day.
Pros
The discount is good, schedule is flexible for PTers.
Cons
Pay is low.
People were great to work with.
Barista (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAJune 14, 2018
I had a lot of fun working at the Cafe. The people were great and every day was different. Learning the ropes of the machines and the cash register were interesting and something that I will have forever. The customers were always nice. The fast paced atmosphere was challenging at times but overall rewarding.
Pros
discount
Cons
no benefits
Great for a First Job
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJune 14, 2018
I loved working here but unfortunately, you start to learn how the retail business works; super low hours and not good pay. Constant call outs and call ins. Lack of communication from manager to manager. I've dealt with rude customers in past jobs but I've never seen people go awol over something an employee can't control like parking space, or how people smell or why we can't see how many copies another store has. Lack of staff too because corporate keeps changing it.
Pros
The advanced copies! Discounts.
Cons
No hours. Low pay.
Fun and ok
Textbook Associate (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLJune 14, 2018
Its a place to get to know your workers and students along side your management or managers. the entire where house is clean collective and the areas where you work in are clean and easy to work in.
Great company losing to Amazon
Bookseller/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJune 14, 2018
A wonderful company to work for, generally attracting intelligent, hardworking and cultured individuals. Unfortunately, as with all retail, the E-commerce giant looms over this great company.
Pros
The people, the discount, the culture.
Cons
retail
Fun work environment
Cafe Server (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 14, 2018
Being in the cafe leaves us almost to our own devices. This leads to learning how to manage and accomplish tasks independently. Although there is not much help from management on the book floor they do what they can.
Pros
30-50% discount
Cons
bad upper management
Great place to work and learn
Lead (Former Employee) –  PhoenixJune 14, 2018
Barnes & Noble has a great work culture. I learned a lot about leadership, giving great customer service and working great as a team.Recent layoffs of fulltime positions though make things more erratic
Pros
Employee discount in the store and cafe
Cons
New emphasis on parttime help makes keeping momentum in store difficult

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K