Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Fairly easy job just assisting customers with what they need.
Stocker/Receiver/Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Columbia, SCSeptember 19, 2018
Working at Barnes&Noble Bookstore I have gain great customers as well as stocking,online ordering, cashier. The communication need to be worked on with management and their tone of voice when dealing with customers as well employees.
Don't listen to their "promises"
CAFE BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 19, 2018
Started as a barista at the store and didn't get an opportunity to advance. I wanted to become a bookseller. I bent over backwards for the company and reaped no rewards. Sad. The management was always changing and it was hard for anyone to love the store owner. All other managers on duty were nice and helpful.
Pros
30% off everything, easy to change days, happy environment
Cons
Management changes, no promised followed through, very stressful.
It was a good place, with an understanding staff
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702September 18, 2018
I enjoyed working there, my coworkers were helpful and supportive, and the customers were generally kind and patient. I was glad to be able to help others pursue a passion for reading.
Cut-throat and unstable
TEMPORARY TEXTBOOK BOOKSELLER (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WASeptember 18, 2018
When I worked at the Bookie during the August student rush I enjoyed interacting with my fellow employees, however there was always an underlying tension since we knew that out of the 50 they had hired that they would only keep 12. We competed on the daily for the best compliments from customers, and it made it difficult to ask for help for fear that they might take the good review that could get you a job for the next year. At the end of the term they suddenly told people that they were no longer needed and were expected to leave. I felt this was incredibly rude as I felt they could have easily talk with each of us the week before to let us know if we were staying or leaving so we could start looking for the next job.
Pros
20% discount on textbooks
Cons
constant stress over whether they will need you the next day/week
Many changes at Barnes & Noble.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Clackamas, ORSeptember 18, 2018
A lot has changed at Barnes & Noble since I was hired. It is no longer the company that I started with. Some of the changes have created a trickle down toxic environment.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Company wide changes.
Forced part time with little ability to move up unless willing to relocate or change job titles
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 18, 2018
Pay and hours leave workers unable to pay for their cost of living, the work is stressful and often unrewarding. Corporate quotas leave even the most efficient of us feeling unappreciated and lacking. Upper management does not want to hear, and refuses to understand the position and opinions of employees. Cut hours and lead positions leaves stores understaffed and stressed; however, same quotas and sales goals apply. When work goes undone due to poor staffing, understaffed and busy stores are seen as an excuse rather than an explanation.
Pros
discounts on cafe and book products
Cons
poor pay, no benefits, short breaks, stressful work environment, little upward mobility
Fun place for a book lover
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Cut throat environment with lack of stability, leadership and direction from District Management to CEO.
The company focus and direction has greatly deteriorated with the revolving door of CEO’s and C level management.
Hard to get an answer on direction of company
Pros
Discounts, employees
Cons
Dm and above clueless on running a business
I loved he work but hated the “lack of” pay
Customer Service Representative/head cashier (Former Employee) –  Dothan alabamaSeptember 17, 2018
Working at Barnes and noble was a wonderful experience. My management team and co workers were like family. I would recommend Barnes and noble to anyone seeking employment.
Pros
Discounts, work environment, overall ambiance
Cons
Low pay
Good part-time job for students with decent workload
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXSeptember 17, 2018
I enjoyed working in the MSC Barnes & Noble. It was a great location and since I didn't have a car I was able to take the bus to campus and walk over. The people were cool, I got an employee discount, and most of the time the foot traffic was manageable. The only downside was the requirement to work on gamedays, though we were given the option to work only before and after football games, not during the entire game. All in all, a decent campus job and steady money for students.
Pros
Location, employee discount, business casual attire, easy work, young environment
Cons
Working game days.
Stressful work environment but the best co-workers
Newsstand Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Too much work with not enough staff. The rules from corporate are completely counter productive. It's a retail job so there's a lot of customer interaction.
Great
Cafe Barista, Customer Service/Book Floor (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 17, 2018
It is work. Work is fun. Stuff is run by corporate. Corporate loves you. Sales and working. Organizing and working. Stuff gets done. I love my job and they wont give me full time.
Pros
colorful product
Cons
colorful product
Not bad, just stressful
Barista (Former Employee) –  Newington, NHSeptember 16, 2018
Although I was only there a short time, it was a stressful job. Often I was working alone during rushes and my manager was a distraction. It was useful that a lot of others in the store were understanding when they ordered or when I needed an extra bit of help during rushes.
Great first job!
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 15, 2018
It was a great job for my first time working however the pay was very low. We did not get free meals during shifts and we could not take food after closing even if they were to get tossed.
Pros
great experience
Cons
no free lunches or drinks, low pay
Friendly and collaborative work culture
Café Server (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 15, 2018
Great opportunity to build relationships with both staff and customers. Developed strong customer service skills and ability to adapt to fast-paced work environment.
Great for Students
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
This is a good company to work for if you are a student or can only work part-time. The only way to have a full-time position here is if you are a manager.

The people are great to work with but there is no communication between managers and booksellers. The pay is not high enough for the amount of responsibilities booksellers have.
Productive and fun workplace
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSSeptember 13, 2018
My typical day at work started with stocking new books and continued with customer service, while being prepared to assist my colleagues at the cash register.
I learned new skills in multitasking, communication and effective teamwork.
The management team does a terrific job in making sure that everything runs smoothly, while at the same time ensuring that all employees treat each other fairly and feel comfortable in the work environment.
The workplace culture passionately follows the principles of honesty, integrity and service and strives every day to become an even more successful company.
The hardest part of the job is when only very few employees are available and it becomes challenging to keep everything running smoothly.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to work together with a team of dedicated and supportive associates and making meaningful connections.
Pros
Free lunches, competitive pay, product discount
It was a dream to be working with people who liked books and coffee.
Barnes and Noble Bookseller and cafe (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALSeptember 13, 2018
The managers were always apologizing about the poor pay that they had to work with. I would still be working there had it not been for the salary. At that time, I was afraid not to have health care and the salary alone was not enough to truly live a quality life on your own.
THat's the only reason that I left.

The workplace was great. You can always smell cofffees, cookies, books etc. People are generally in a good mood and just need a little help figuring out what it is that they want or need. All associates were helpful fun and eager to please.

We all had to be able to do each job. My lease favorite was the cafe floor and the end of the day or cleaning bathrooms. I did it though; all of us did.
Pros
Being around people who were excited about books and food.
Cons
Very low salary. That mattered at the time. Not anymore.
A Fun Place To Work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 12, 2018
Working in a bookstore is always a fun job for me. It affords me the opportunity to not only become familiar with previously unknown tome books, but also to interact with people, customers and colleagues, who enjoy those books and are knowledgeable in those fields. Working at Barnes & Noble afforded me that opportunity, as well as offering me a fun and flexible workplace.
Pros
Being around books, music, and movies. Like minded colleagues.
Cons
Low wages, dress code.
Fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WISeptember 12, 2018
This was one of my most favorite part time jobs. I enjoyed the work and my co-workers were great to work with. The woman that trained me was super nice and patient, and made sure I was doing ok even when she wasn't working. Would recommend to anyone looking for a stimulating part time position.
Great place to work.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 12, 2018
In the time I worked there I had 5 different managers. They were all
excellent in their own way. The pace at B&N is very relaxed but with the expectations that your job assignment will be completed in a timely manner. I think the very best part of this job was working with staff that was there at the time and of course meeting new and interesting customers.
Pros
Great working atmosphere
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K