Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Showing all 3,961 reviews
Great 2nd job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARNovember 13, 2018
Doesn't have enough hours. The discounts are very nice. There are several managers some are nice others are questionable not. very fast paced training.
Pros
discounts
Cons
management
It's Retail...
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MONovember 12, 2018
If you have worked any sort of retail then you will understand what working for Barnes and Noble is like. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with customers that will yell at you for the slightest reason. But if you have a passion for books, you will find ways to cope. Ultimately it depends on your store location. Some stores will be better run than others, and some stores will have more competent managers than others.
Pros
Like minded peers with a passion for books.
Cons
Scarce benefits, low pay, rude customers.
Lose Lose Situation
BARISTA / CAFÉ SERVER (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 12, 2018
My B&N has a very high turn over rate in terms of employee employment length. However, I think this not only has to do with amazon's overhaul of popular products making them more available at a more affordable price. Barnes and nobles also doesn't pay their workers enough to stick around especially knowing there is no room for career advancement as also mentioned in the hiring interview.
Pros
30 percent discount almost store-wide
Cons
No perks, benefits, vacation, Pto, Ot, etc
Fun easy going workplace
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Troy, MINovember 12, 2018
I was a bookseller at Barnes & Noble. My job was the help customers on the floor to find books they were looking for or to help recommend books based on other titles they enjoyed. I learned a lot about customer service at this job and with the help of a wonderful manager, I learned many aspects of the business that I wasn't aware of before. There was a very diverse group of associates that I worked with and we all seemed to enjoy our shifts together. The most enjoyable part of this job, aside from the people, was all of the books and authors I got a chance to learn about.
Management issues
Lead Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CANovember 10, 2018
I loved everything about the job except for the poor decisions that came from those higher up in the company as well as management being very unorganized.
Good Job
Cafe Lead Server (Current Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLNovember 9, 2018
This is the best job I've had yet. But to be honest that's not really saying much. Come see for yourself. You probably won't be disappointed. Hope you like books.
Cons
Fun environment and a lot of tasks
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CANovember 9, 2018
Being a part of the Barnes and Noble environment is fun but stressful. You have to make sure that all tasks are met but the co-workers are fantastic! Everyone is supportive and willing to work with you. As long as you work hard as well.
Pros
Fun environment and co-workers
Cons
None that I can think of
Pretty easy job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Allen Park, MINovember 7, 2018
Sadly was let go after not even completing training but the job was not hard at all it's extremely simple baking, making drinks/food, using a very complex register
Pros
Discounts on whole store
Cons
Don't give people a chance
Fast paced
LEAD BOOKSELLER (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 6, 2018
This is a fast paced job at times but in the slower times there is still tasks to be done. Working here was like working with family, everyone is great and caring. The managers understand that school is a big deal and are willing to work with you with your school schedule.
Good retail company to work for.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTNovember 6, 2018
Generally this is a good company. Management will vary from store to store, but you can expect good managers overall. The company prefers to promote from within and will transfer between stores. This is a SELLING culture. You are expect to sell product and services. This is a retail business. Expect to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
Rewarding and fun
Community Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARNovember 6, 2018
Working at Barnes & Noble was overall a very fun and rewarding job. The work environment was amazing and my coworkers were terrific. As the years went by and the company faced a financial crisis, it became unrealistic to meet sales goals. Company downsizing also eliminated many full-time positions.
Pros
Employee Discount, healthcare, work environment
Cons
Unrealistic sales goals, company financial crisis, downsizing, layoffs
My favorite place to work
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Wellington, FLNovember 5, 2018
Since starting with the company in 2008 I’ve had an excellent experience. There was only one store that I worked at out of the 4 that had any issues and that was due to poor management. Otherwise it’s been the most comfortable, active, and reasonably challenging workplace I’ve ever had the pleasure to work.
The only real downside was the lack of advancement opportunities. Recently multiple full time and manager positions were completely eliminated company wide. This has made advancement even more difficult as well as complicating workloads. Benefits are excellent if you could manage to find yourself in a full time position.
Barnes and Nobles
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARNovember 5, 2018
Was not a bad place to work will going to school. Added bonus of getting discounts on books for college which as you know can be pretty expensive. I would recommend working here to others
Satisfying Place To Work
Head Cashier & Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Millbury, MANovember 4, 2018
I love being able to go into work every day and talk to customers about books--in many ways, it's the most rewarding job that I've ever held. There's always new books and authors to discover, and sharing that experience with customers looking for a new book is always exhilarating.
Overall Okay but No Tips and No Scheduling Website
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 3, 2018
I liked my job as a barista starting out, but my dislike of the company quickly overtook me. We’re forced to throw out food that is “going bad” and aren’t allowed to take it home. We only get a 30% discount and we rarely ever get tips because Barnes and Noble thinks that tip jars “look bad”.
The scheduling system is horrendous. There’s no online system because they’re currently “in between” services. You have to go in the store, in person, to write down the days you want off and even then managers can overlook them and schedule you anyway.
I loved working with customers and making drinks, however I very much disliked a lot of the company decisions. It was a good place to work at- the managers were nice, but for me personally it wasn’t a good fit.
Pros
30% off on store 20% off audio
Cons
No tip jar, horrible scheduling system
n/a
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 2, 2018
it was a fine place to work. Mangament isnt great but the workis easy and as long as you do what your told you will do just fine. The coworkers are amazing.
Nice work environmnt for retail job
Head Cashier/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTNovember 2, 2018
Plus: Training for all positions was adequate for positions. Working in a bookstore is pleasurable. Most people working there loved books and long-term employees were upbeat and excited to go to work.

Negative: The company struggled to to compete with Amazon and discount sellers, so books became less important for sales. Like most retailers, there were few positions with consistent hours and schedules. Keeping your job was the only incentive for most positions, so turnover and no-shows became a problem.
Great part time job
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAOctober 31, 2018
Barnes and Noble was amazing, From being cafe lead to receiving or cashier to customer service I always had a great time. The pay wasn't to good but they worked around your schedule.
Barnes and Noble Booksellers
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 31, 2018
I believe that the job itself is easy, if you are capable of being quick on your feet, friendly to customers, and efficient with tasks. However, the pay for part-time is only minimum wage and the opportunities to increase the pay are very low and only once a year. However, employees do receive a 30% discount.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
low pay
Typical Retail Drudgery
Head Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 30, 2018
B&N was my first job, and in the sense that it taught me what to expect from a retail environment, it was useful. Otherwise, the culture, the pressure, and the inconsistent message from corporate all contributed to a sense of apathy among the staff. I became good friends with many of my fellow employees and managers. They were generally people who shared a passion for reading that corporate manage to quash through its addiction to meeting (usually absurdly forecasted) sales numbers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K