Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Okay culture, declining quality of life
Bookseller/Receiver (Former Employee) –  New YorkAugust 17, 2018
I loved my job, and my customers, but I had to leave. The environment was increasingly toxic, none of my managers liked each other, and there was constant harassment and verbal abuse. They wanted me to do managerial work for no extra pay, and when I turned them down, they cut my hours and refused to treat me with any respect. Reporting harassment to any of the managers, including our district manager, did nothing. In fact, the harassment of me and my coworkers got worse to the point that most of our experienced staff have already left. They don't train new people completely anymore, since they expect them all to quit months later (rightfully so), and they belittle anyone who asks too many questions. It's really unfortunate, since the job itself, the books, and the customers of my store were fantastic. Bookstores aren't really dying because of ebooks. They're dying because the company isn't treating booksellers well anymore.
Pros
Great coworkers, 30% discount on most products, some paid time off
Cons
No health care, no benefits, poor management, toxic atmosphere, harassment
Good company
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 16, 2018
This was my first job. Barnes and Noble is slowly dissolving and it's unlikely it will survive as a company much longer. They consistently close stores and throw under qualified management into their remaining stores. If it were not for my previous manager, I would still be employed with the company.
Fast pace workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 16, 2018
Great support system and great staff to work with. Great learning environment, and room for growth. Understanding staff and management. Overall a great place to work.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No health insurance for part time workers
Expected
Team member (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 16, 2018
It was a temp position for rush during the beginning and toward the end of the semester. It was fast paced and students were usually stressed during this time so it was your job to do all you could to ease that stress by getting them what they needed quickly. If a costumer was being rude we were told to get management so they could handle it and we could move on to helping someone else.
Pros
They would work with your class schedule.
Cons
You saw a fare share of irritated and stressed students and parents.
Productive and Fun
Café Server/Barista (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 16, 2018
Keeps you on the move for the most part regardless if its busy or not. Recommend as a starter job to help develop customer service skills and ability to multi-task.
The people are great.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2018
The people who work at Barnes and Noble are great. Management not so great. Hours per week are inconsistent, and your annual raise is twenty-five cents. It is great if you are looking for part-time work while going to school.
Barnes and Noble 265
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILAugust 15, 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed this job during my undergrad days at community college. Sold regular books as well as textbooks which made beginning and end of the semester very busy.
Fast paced environment to work in
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 15, 2018
Barnes and Noble is a corporate structured company and it limits the additional input from employees for better moral and work environment. Barnes and noble offers advancement opportunities, but has recently removed some positions that were advancement position so now there is limited advancement and no incentive.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Store discounts, Employee appreciation for additional discounts
Cons
Stressful, short staffed, managerial issues
Positive company culture
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 15, 2018
I worked here for five months at a smaller store. Management was supportive and the company culture was positive. I have nothing else to add to this review.
Love This Company
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 14, 2018
I absolutely love working for Barnes & Nobel. I love books, music, and movies so this is literally the best job I've ever had. My store manager is amazing and very easy to work with. All of my coworkers are great as well.
Pros
Discount, Management, Colleagues, Customers
Cons
N/a
unstable management and horrible pay
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAAugust 14, 2018
This is not the kind of job that can financially sustain an adult. You will have to surrender your entire schedule to management to get even close to 30 hours. Every week, the schedule changes, with only a couple days notice.

You will be forced to hound every customer for their email and try to get them to sign up for the membership.
Pros
Cons
horrible pay, unstable hours
Had fun
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 14, 2018
I loved working with the other booksellers and managers. I do not like the pressure of having to sell memberships. I loved helping parents find books for their kids.
Cons
Selling memberships
Negative work environment
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEAugust 14, 2018
I began my three year tenure at B&N and absolutely LOVED the first 2 years. I was hired externally for the new café lead position and worked closely with the café manager up until her sudden departure. Being most suited at the time for the position, I applied for, interviewed and received a promotion for Café Manager! It was super exciting and started off really well. However, because of the sudden state of our café after the previous café manager's leave, I did not receive the usual café manager training where I would have trained for my managerial position within another store. Down the road, that severely impacted my ability to execute my manager duties effectively. I did not receive any training in business acumen whatsoever and everything with the systems that I did learn was self taught by poking around when I had a free moment. I was also scheduled as a member of staff, not as a manager overseeing my department, which made it excessively difficult to see to my managerial duties. The store manager was adept at the operation of the bookfloor, but regarding matters in the café, she did not understand the scrope and did not provide helpful feedback. Often times her criticisms were harsh and belittling.
So Not Worth It
Barista/Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 13, 2018
I started out in the cafe. I was trained well and the cafe management was great. The problem? Although I was getting paid minimum wage, I was doing what the managers were doing, but without the benefits. When the managers weren’t there, I was told by the bookfloor and general managers to call/write in and put away the orders, call mechanics, and other things I had no training on. There also were many, many times that I was in the cafe all by myself for an hour at a time during a rush. Twice just happened to be when the food and milk order came. Even the regulars started to notice.
Besides that craziness, the closing shift would always be 3:00-10:30, or 11:00. There is too much to do to close up the cafe with only 2 people.
When I finally got the chance to remain in the bookfloor, someone left in the cafe, and I was told to cover for them. This happened not only for the day to day coverage, but I ended up only getting shifts in the cafe because so many people had left the company.
On the flip side, the bookfloor was fun!
Pros
Discounts, easy access to coffee, the “book smell”
Cons
Long hours with little help, not enough pay for the work for someone who DOES NOT DO THE MINIMUM.
It was ok
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2018
Almost always super crowded so its hard to move around. Some supervisors have favorites. Improper health training. Almost impossible to switch positions.
Customer service
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Barnes and Noble. I worked as a sales associate. I stocked merchandise, completed sales/cash transactions, assisted customers and helped with store events. It was fun. The pay and hours were good.
Wasted so many years
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 11, 2018
Worked at BN for 15 years. From management to part time and every department. Beyond shady. I worked enough hours to get benefits but was "coded" at 12 hours so I could never get them. Full time positions were almost all eliminated they laid off great, tenured people to do it. Workload to staff ratio was exhausting. Cafe employees left alone for whole shift practically begging for a break which was covered by a manager who was barely trained in there. No training, horrible customers, horrible pay, horrible management, no honesty, shady disrespectful upper management. It started out great but the employees are the most miserable people. All of us were on Indeed looking to jump this sinking ship. Shut it down.
Pros
Discount (but 50% in cafe changed to 30%)
Cons
Walking in that door everyday. Everything!
Fun and interesting workplace
Bookseller/Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 10, 2018
The associates are new and interesting and unique, and every single day is different. My favorite part is the employees I work with, and the work I do.
Bookish Downfall
Barista/Cafe Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 8, 2018
I absolutely love working at Barnes and Noble, the only downside is, its a dying company. There are a few Barnes and Noble that will still for a couple more years but unfortunately the store I am currently working at, will not. It is a great if you're looking for something temporary and put on your resume.
Pros
30% off books and cafe
Cons
Few hours, unless during holiday season
Productive and fun workplace with GREAT managment
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARAugust 8, 2018
Loved working here! Best management team. The hardest part of the job was staying on my feet all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with.
Pros
book, book, and more books
Cons
staying on feet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K