Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Great Job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, CODecember 11, 2017
They were great and really flexible hours and somewhat great staff. They allowed me to grow as a person and attain great skills. Thank you Barnes & Noble .
Unpleasant and Poor Management
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CADecember 11, 2017
Barnes and Noble was a very difficult place to work at due to the poor management. They were inefficient and struggled to lead employees, often times taking advantage of good employees, and abusing their power.
Pros
50% off Starbucks, 30% of Books
Cons
Horrible Managers, No Motivational Involvement, Little Pay.
This place is great for a student....not for a serious career
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OH 45384December 11, 2017
There aren't many benefits and the pay is really low, but if you are a college student its adequate pay. It is enough to get you some food, but not enough to pay your bills.
Pros
Fun, Lively, Energetic
Cons
low pay, low hours
An amazing place to work and always something new to talk about. I work with some of the best people.
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 11, 2017
I will always think of Barnes and Noble as a second home. I was lucky to work with the same basic team all eight years and knew they had my back. I will hope to remain in some capacity as part time or seasonal if I can work it out. I had to look for something else when new hires are not far behind me in pay and I have years on them in experience.
Pros
Just about everything was a good thing.
Cons
No real advancement after a point and need a better paying job.
slow paced, but great people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Celina, OHDecember 10, 2017
the college campus bookstore I worked at was very small, the day seemed to drag on, wasn't much for me to do, the people I worked with were fantastic, always got the days I asked for off
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
slow paced
Buen ambiente sin cafe gratis
Packer (Former Employee) –  Jamesburg, NJDecember 9, 2017
Variación de trabajo con horarios cambiados y horas extras aveces
Barnes and Noble is a results driven business that produces results
Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTDecember 9, 2017
Barnes and Noble is a company that looks for and achieves results, by offering employees expectations and coaching on a regular basis. They have daily meetings with the staff reviewing successes and opportunities of meeting sales needs.
Working for Barnes and Noble really taught me how to drive and lead my team to consistently reach the next goal.
I left Barnes and Noble because my family needs made it difficult for me to give the attention to this position, that I felt it required.
Pros
Free lunches, discounts, bonuses
Cons
salaried hours
Wonderful place to work part- time!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhasset, NYDecember 8, 2017
If you are in college and need some extra pay this is a great place to build basic work skills before graduation. The staff consists of an amazing group of individuals that are diverse and talented. Management is excellent and always available to answer questions regarding work schedules or the overall work environment in general.
Pros
employee discounts, flexible hours
Stressful, No Advancement
Café Barista (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, CODecember 8, 2017
Not really any room for advancement unless you had been working with the company for years.

Kept just between 30 to 40 hours to make sure they didn't have to offer benefits.

Very strict on making sure everything is perfect but are strict on no over time.
Productive and fun workplace. Love the people!
Head Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXDecember 7, 2017
You have to straighten up the store, restock shelves and put up displays. Things are pretty straightforward and structured with enough leeway to augment things as needed. The people are super fun to work with and the managers are fairly understanding and willing to work with you when they can. Customer service is a huge part of the job and multitasking can help. I've learned about efficiently performing tasks and being able to help difficult customers and situations.
Pros
Discounts, coworkers, flexibility
Cons
Sometimes hours being cut, sometimes rude/entitled customers
I miss working here
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJDecember 7, 2017
It was always fun to go into work and be greeted by the work family. The other Baristas were amazing and the assistant store manager at the time was absolutely phenomenal! The only part of the job that was difficult would have been the rushes, but once you get good enough at the job it's not so bad.
Pros
discounted products, decent break times
Cons
lack of staffing
A lot of work goes into making a bookstore great
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  CTDecember 7, 2017
If you love books and reading this should be a great place to work, although you'll have to do your reading on your own time. It's a common misconception that booksellers hang around and read when there's nothing to do. Actually, there are never enough hours or employees to get all the jobs done and so you're really expected to hustle.

You can expect a typical day to be a lot of running around, or at least walking at a very fast pace-always. Each day is a different challenge. Aside from answering many phone calls, assisting customers in locating their items, placing orders, ringing up purchases at the registers, and keeping the store tidy, you could spend time shelving the never-ending supply of newly arrived merchandise, taking down displays and putting up new displays, dusting the sales floor, making sure all sections are in their correct company-approved order, and assisting customers with trouble-shooting their e-reader devices.

My favorite part of the job: finding just the right book and knowing I've helped the customer, or when a returning customer let me know they enjoyed a recommendation I'd made. Also participating in or directing events for kids and families, like storytimes.

The hardest part: disappointing a customer, for whatever reason, be it that their book is not in stock, their order didn't arrive on time, etc. It can be kind of crazy to see how that might really ruin a person's day.

Another difficulty being seen and felt everywhere is online retailers. They're not going away, though, and all brick-and-mortar stores are struggling to remain relevant. It
  more... can be frustrating to lose sales to the internet after working to assist a customer in locating their item only to have them say they'll order online.  less
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
pushing the membership, competiton with online retailers
Limited Growth
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 7, 2017
The work was fine but could be considered very repetitive. The company only hired part time staff so that they wouldn't have to pay for benefits which limits the growth as an employee
Pros
Calm environment
Cons
No benefits, limited growth potential
Awful management
Cafe Lead (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CADecember 6, 2017
Self explanatory - terrible management at every level including regional. They just kept replacing bad managers with worse ones. The store will be closed in the next year.
Seasonal
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHDecember 6, 2017
I’m working there currently as a seasonal employee. It’s usually pretty busy and everyone is really nice. I can’t work Friday, Saturday, or Monday and they still work with me!
Best Place
Barista (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 5, 2017
Barnes and Noble is the best place to work if you're a student. Super flexible hours, great discounts, and the greatest employees and managers! I love working at Barnes and Noble
it was hard work for me
Pick and Pack Associate/QC Auditor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, NJDecember 5, 2017
it was quite hard work for me as I have to lift heavy boxes through out the day . I was enjoying QC work but it was very less . timing was good so I can balance family life .
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
heavy work
If you love books, you'll enjoy it!
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 5, 2017
The company is always in a transition because it's trying to compete with their major competitors. The management team is expected to always perform. Everyone is passionate about at least one genre in the store and it's fun to learn about new literature. The discounts are great, especially in the cafe.
Pros
Discounts, staff, products
Cons
No set shifts, unreasonable expectations
Management lacking
Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 4, 2017
Long time employees and assistant managers were highly insecure around new, part time, seasonal employees. The job is a piece of cake and can be quite fun if you don't allow their negative attitudes to get to you. The best advice during downtime is to find things yourself to keep busy with as the permanent folks don't like to share tasks & often make mountains out of molehills. Enjoy the customers, most are pretty great. Remember the reasons you are there & maybe one day the manager will re-evaluate who should stay & who really needs to go. We were told during the initial interview process by assistant managers to not say we loved books because no one there gets to read. This was weird because you don't read on any job but a love of books is still a valid reason for wanting to work in a BOOK store.
Pros
Customers, discount
Cons
Job insecurity, poor attitudes
Poor place to work
Tradebook & Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 1, 2017
No room to grow and poor management. Management is not efficient. All employees are underpaid and there are no set training guidelines. Work environment is very stressful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.