Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

unorganized and not professional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYFebruary 20, 2018
overall a disappointing experience. there are two managers that are never organized and don't value employees. one of them is very lazy and very rude to many employees
Great people
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 20, 2018
Working here was a joy, 90% of the time. I thoroughly enjoyed the people I worked with and working with books was a dream come true. Customers, for the most part, are pleasant.
Pros
Books
Cons
Job security
Not the greatest company to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 20, 2018
Don't expect to get rich working for Barnes & Noble!! They are more worried about their profits than their employees. No bonuses, holiday parties or stock sharing, but they do show their employee appreciation by giving an extra 10% employee discount twice a year. So nice of them!! I'd rather have a bonus instead of giving them more of my income. Basic healthcare coverage and 401K.
Avoid
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 19, 2018
I enjoyed my benefits, but was asked to have too much responsibility for the pay. My store's staff was pretty great, customers were not the nightmares I had heard about, but there were always a few exceptions.

Ability to cross train across many areas of the store, but not a lot of potential for advancement.

The decisions being made at the corporate level do not appear to be saving or keeping company in business, but to eventually close.

On a store level, it was great. At a corporate level it is same old same old. After the full time layoffs, part time employees just barely being paid over minimum wage are now tasked with picking up the slack.

Work for another bookstore, what's left of them. That, or open your own.
Pros
Healthcare and benefits for FT, great team.
Cons
Most everything else
A decent atmosphere
Sales and Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLFebruary 19, 2018
The times have changed a bit, at Barnes and Noble. It was quite a fun job when I started there. The staff still tends to be the reason to come to work, but the overall amount of pressure has slowly ramped up to the point its a bit ridiculous. Still, if you love books and a bookstore atmosphere, its worth it.
Barista / Cashier
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MAFebruary 19, 2018
Hired during the holidays, extremely difficult to become fully trained but got used to it over a few weeks, serves its purpose of a part-time job yet continue to struggle with a few tasks as I haven't been trained 100 %
Pros
breaks and lunches
Cons
no raise given
not a bad place to work
store supervisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 18, 2018
The job was easy but frustrating at times. There was not a lot of work space. Backroom could be crowded but management was kind and friendly. They worked with you and looked out for you.
Favorite Job Held
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 18, 2018
A typical day work a 8 hour shift, with a great team. On the sales floor you would help assist customers, and shelve books. At the registers you will sell the member card and attend to normal cashier duties.
Fun place to work
Department Lead / Supervisior (Former Employee) –  Newington, NHFebruary 18, 2018
B&N hires the best people. It's the coworkers that make this job amazing. Everyone there is fun, intelligent, and shares a love of books and reading that can't be found anywhere else. Even though there were many expectations, metrics to hit, and tasks to complete, there was never any stress or pressure about the job. We did what we did for the love of the people around us, nothing more.
fun place to work
Community Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAFebruary 18, 2018
Good Place to work. Fun atmosphere. Great discounts on books and Starbucks. Hours are not that good. Long hours and weekend work as well as the holidays.
High pressure low reward
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHFebruary 18, 2018
The pressure to sell memberships is insane and without any form of incentive. Coworkers are usually really nice and good friendships have been formed and customers are typically pretty pleasant as well. However, they just had a nationwide sweep of layoffs and my store alone lost four of our best employees. Since the managers weren’t prepared for it, this week was a madhouse. Part time has good hours at the moment but full timers are left worrying about job security. Many of us are currently looking for work elsewhere. Ultimately, I think it’s a bit risky to work there at the moment with the decrease we’ve had in sales, who knows whether the stores will even stay open for much longer.
Pros
50% discount on café, 30% books, 20% everything else, great coworkers
Cons
High pressure, unstable hours, very little job security
Great place to get along with your co-workers
Lead Bookseller/Digital Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAFebruary 17, 2018
Through Barnes & Noble I have learned how to lead a team. I have learned the value of communication within the team. Most days that are slow are filled with enough day to day tasks to still make the work day fly by. I have learned how to merchandise, stock, replenish.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
It is a failing company
All Good!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJFebruary 17, 2018
Loved the job, but due to me not having sick days, the days I called out with doctors notes weren't excused. I dealt with checking if the vendors had the books or other items in stock before even ordering them. And dealing with the actual book stores in helping them locate the item or informing them on any delays.
Best Job in the World, no job security or advancement
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mandeville, LAFebruary 16, 2018
This is a great job if you are looking for a family of coworkers and management, great customers and have a drive to succeed and work for nothing in return but enjoyment. Layoffs are expected. Part time employees sometimes get between 0-5 hours a week (20 hours MAX) Full timers have a LOT of responsibility (which we all love and share) Corporate is great in many ways, but they are also slowly killing the company (hence layoffs and no job security or advancement, every Full timer that leaves will never be replaced)
Pros
50% off in BN Cafe, 30% off books
Cons
no advancement, no full time availability
Previous Employee Laid Off
Supervisor/Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York StateFebruary 16, 2018
Typical day at work: Easy job made unnecessarily stressful

What I learned: Trained very versatile in several departments after persisting self knowledge

Management: poor communication, disorganized, stressful

Workplace Culture: relatable and friendly
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
The Company
Poor Managment and Corporate oversite.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 15, 2018
Lack of advancement, poor training, management is never very clear or not very often will you find one that is. Staff can be friendly if caught at the right time and place. Workplace environment varies depending on staff members at the time and their mood. Very hard to get things done and to focus. Very nice place to learn and to get discounts, meet new people and to also find yourself.
Fast and Interactive
Textbook Seller (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 15, 2018
Working at Barnes & Noble was a great learning experience. I learned how to handle many tasks that were thrown at me. I also learned how to work at a fast pace in order to keep everything moving in the store. Finally, I learned team work skills. This was due to collaboration that was necessary to accomplish tasks.
Pros
Learned New Skills
Cons
Low Pay
Enjoyable work environment
Bookseller/Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Freehold, NJFebruary 15, 2018
Nice workplace culture. Able to have good customer interaction. Management very understanding of the work/home balance. Most enjoyable part of job was customer service.
Great atmosphere and interesting workplace.
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCFebruary 15, 2018
Barnes and Noble is an excellent place to work especially if you are interested in books and assisting customers in finding what they are looking for as well as a few things theyay not have known they wanted before entering the store. The store atmosphere is a comfortable mix of productivity and fun, with a good chance for advancement and excellent benefits and payscale.
fun atmosphere
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAFebruary 15, 2018
Interesting, fun and active place to work. Really enjoyed my time there. Employees that work there, really want to work and help customers and motivate each other.
Pros
nice employee discount
Cons
raises are that great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K