Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Chaotic workday with poor management.
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 23, 2018
As a temporary employee you are thrown into the workday with little experience, which I tend to prefer. However, every long term employee there treats you as disposable and acts like your boss. It can be a very frustrating job.
Fun place to work, especially if you love books
Sales and Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 23, 2018
Th work environment is mostly relaxed and its highly encouraged to learn about the product they're selling. There is lifting involved but the reward is being able to see what new books are coming into the store.
Pros
Surrounded by books and people who tend to enjoy them.
Cons
balancing tasking with customer service
Not Bad for Retail
Bookseller and Café Server (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILMay 23, 2018
I've worked at a Barnes & Noble for about 5 and a half years now, first as a bookseller, then as a cafe server. My issues with the job may be limited to my location alone, but while I had a great time in the first three years of my employment, my experience has slowly gone downhill in the last two. The hours are inconsistent, I make less money than new hires with no experience (to which they claim they "can't do anything about it"), and the store is constantly understaffed, making the customers angry and the employees stressed. The management does not care about the cafe at all, to the point where we've started calling ourselves the "black hole" of the store. If the store was adequately staffed, I was making more money, and the management cared a little more, I would call this a good job, but all I can say is that for a retail/service gig, it isn't unbearable. Would recommend to high school or college students who need a nice place to work for spending money. Would not recommend if you have issues with anxiety/working in a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Good breaks, schedules put out three weeks in advance, good discounts, small annual raises
Cons
Inconsistent hours, understaffed, low pay
Perfect for advancement
Cafe Lead (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAMay 22, 2018
I worked with a great team. Everyone was very friendly and we all liked to have fun.
Sometimes it would be stressful and hard but for the most part you always had someone to vent to.
Perfect place for a book lover to work. You get an employee discount and get advance reader copies of books!
Every job has its bad parts but working here the good outweighed the bad.
This is the one job that I would go back to in a heartbeat!
Love the concept, dislike the company
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 22, 2018
I loved every BN location I worked at. Managers were great and most of the time accommodating to my personal schedule. The company as a whole is pretty ungrateful to their employees though. There are only a handful of managers in each store who are full-time and many positions have been eliminated. The company chooses to get rid of their dedicated employees instead of changing their sale methods to increase profits. They'd rather cut loyal staff instead of turn their minds to the possibility of change in regards to their daily operations. Unless you're one of the lucky few who can get a manager job, there is little room for you in the company's eyes.
Great place for a side job
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 22, 2018
The lack of open positions foe full time employment will deter many from seeking a career with Barnes and Noble. Many positions for management have wages posted as the bare minimum. The skills you learn can be helpful in other more rewarding careers. Best place for a stepping stone rather than a destination job.
Pros
Wonderful employee discount
Cons
Scheduling can be absolutely frustrating
Used to be a great job
Sales and Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 21, 2018
To keep competitive with online book retailers B&N has moved away the classic 'bookseller' who was knowledgeable and enthusiastic readers, to people who can just sell without any prior knowledge or interest. This has changed the corporate culture and the culture of individual stores.
Fun and fast paced
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAMay 21, 2018
Barnes and Noble was fast paced but very laid back. Once you got the flow of things it became fairly easy to work. Its a perfect job for anyone. Especially if you love books
Barnes and Noble is a good company that has been rewarding to work for.
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  Homer City, PAMay 21, 2018
Typical day of work consists of retail tasks such as stocking product and a fair amount of problem solving for customers, I have learned to carefully listen to customers since their recollections are often vague or incorrect, management is excellent, our workplace culture is supportive and often fun, the hardest part of the job would be the physical nature of working with large numbers of books and the repetitive nature of stocking shelves, for me the most enjoyable part of the job is being with lots of people.
Pros
Discounts, Large selection of books to choose from, staff, management.
Cons
It has been difficult to find opportunities to advance.
Ok place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 20, 2018
Okay place to work but needs more pay and more hours management was very good to the workers very understanding and fair workplace was kind of stressful
Barnes & Noble
CHILDREN'S LEAD (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COMay 20, 2018
I have worked at Barnes & Noble for almost twenty years. I love the customers, the books and my fellow employees. I was able to share my love of books with everyone around me. For most of my twenty years Barnes & Noble was a great place to work that allowed me to work full time and provide benefits for my family. Recently the company has undergone a restructuring and, in that process I lost my full time status, benefits for my family and the work family life balance.
Pros
Great place if you love to read
Cons
Can not make a living wage
Good place to be but limited career advancement
Cafe service (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 19, 2018
people are mostly really cool, managers included. Corporate has a lot of BS going on that the store itself cant do anything about i.e. sales goals and policies
Great coworkers but horrible pay
Head Cashier, Full Time (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 18, 2018
I worked there for one year before getting let go by the company because they had to fired all full-time non managers. My coworkers were wonderful.
Pros
Book discounts
Cons
No job security
Worst Temporary Job EVER!
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 17, 2018
I just felt that the managers were very rude. I never really learned anything of value. It was very unorganized and overall I would never refer anyone to work at that particular Barnes & Noble College.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Bad customer service, managament, and experience
In trasition
Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2018
CTO is outsourcing and laying off. Remaining employees becoming broken with workload and 24x7 schedule. They are not in software business and phasing it out.
Overall, not bad
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHMay 17, 2018
As a university student (I technically work for B & N College) there isn't a whole lot I can do to advance in my current position. My one big complaint is a lack of hours. I enjoy my job, though.
Pros
Good management, flexible hours
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Excellent customer services
Cafe Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJMay 16, 2018
Great work environment with room to grow within the customer services related field. The company focuses on having a fun energetic well managed customs services environment to ensure a good community relationship that will benefit not only the customers but its employees.
Great Coworkers
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMay 15, 2018
This was a great place to work. It smelled like coffee and books. The customers were as varied as the products that we sold. Our location was great at hiring passionate and friendly people that were just the right level of strange. It was a job that required plenty of physical work along with a strong knowledge of the products that we sold.
Pros
Great people, great discount, and delicious cafe treats
Cons
Weak wage growth and a shift to only hiring part-time positions
fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 14, 2018
its a nice place to work during a summer or when you have to take classes . the job is easy you will be busy only the beginning of the semester and the rest of it you can focus on your study . its fit for people want to work and study
Pros
nothing
Cons
short break
Comfortable place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYMay 14, 2018
A typical day consists of paying invoices, but sometimes varies as to publishers and cafe vendors. Over time, that has remained stable while I have also taken on more duties.
Pros
Pleasant atmosphere
Cons
Playing favorites, personality driven

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K