AMC Theatres Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,990 reviews
Many perks in corporate such as good benefits, movie passes, free popcorn\softdrinks, etc.
Technical Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KS 66211October 18, 2018
This job offered job stability but not many opportunities for me to advance within the company. This may not be the case for other individuals but I am speaking regarding my personal experience. I was a Tech the entire time although I applied for many other positions, took classes and received a degree while working there. I did not have a relationship with the CEO at that time so I can't say much about him. The company has made many changes so keep in mind that this review is based on information over 10 years ago. Consider current reviews with more depth.
Pros
Lots of perks. Good benefits, competitive pay.
Cons
Lack of upware mobility, clickish culture in IT.
Low paying, stressful, crazy
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Rosemont, ILSeptember 6, 2018
I have worked at AMC for almost two years now, and I was promoted to a crew leader in May 2018. Being in this position is terrible because first of all, the amount of work that goes along with the slight, slight raise in pay is ridiculous. I got only a 45 cent raise to be a crew leader which requires way more knowledge and hard work than your average crew member. AMC doesn’t provide any benefits other than free movies and slightly discounted food while you’re on the clock. They have very strict policies and you will be punished severely if you don’t follow them. The only reason I haven’t left this job yet is the fact that I don’t have another job to depend on for now. Overall, it is very stressful and hectic because we have run out of materials often and many people like coming to the movies. Also it can be a little disrespectful at times because I am getting paid so little to do so much.
While a steady source of income, the job was not fulfilling
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 22, 2018
A normal workday at AMC as a dishwasher consists of steadily working in an isolated portion of the kitchen for 8 hours. Ensuring the dishes are washed and dried properly takes an enormous amount of time, especially when the kitchen closes. On many weekdays, only one dishwasher is scheduled, and this leads to a form of isolation or loneliness as, mentioned above, the dish washing area is isolated from the rest of the kitchen leading to little human interaction for 8 hours. In addition, dish washers are the last employees to leave the kitchen due to the shifts going longer than the cooks in the kitchen.
Pros
Free food, free movies, 401k
Cons
Lonely, unfulfilling work, late nights
fun in the beginning terrible towards the end
Film Crew (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PADecember 2, 2018
the crew members are close even when some left and were welcoming to new members to the theater. Toward the end of my time there management began to get worse. they struggled with getting change when low on certain bills or coins, constant attitudes, didnt care about personal life outside of work and would schedule you with ridiculous hours. never really have time to relax outside of work. low staffed on big weekends. a lot of stress not worth the very low pay you are given also reduced the benefits as well during my time there as well.
Fun employees and fun tasks
AMC Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 14, 2018
The fellow crew were amazing, they were all very supportive. The management is really great and accommodating, and the culture is great. If you need a lot of hours they are willing to accommodate. Hardest part of the job is standing for long periods and the guests that complain about minuscule tasks. Yet the most enjoyable part is just talking to guests sometimes, and also connections with coworkers.
Pros
Discounts, Employee Benefits
Cons
standing
Sometimes a fun work environment
Crew (Current Employee) –  FloridaNovember 6, 2018
At the beginning my experience at AMC Theaters was good. However, the longer you work there the more you realize how corrupt the system is. At my specific location the only way to get promotions or raises was to become best friends with the GM. None of it depends upon your ability to sell stubs (our rewards program), your customer service abilities, or your overall work ethic. Fun place to work as a teen as long as you don't mind that bit of it.
Pros
Unlimited Free Movies
Cons
Cannot advance
Hectic job, where employees did all the work with hardly any help from management
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 12, 2018
AMC was very disorganized. Though I enjoyed it for a while, I begin to realize that that place was very much ran off of favoritism and unfair treatment with a lack of communication. They had yearly raises and a rotating schedule that would have no regard toward any or all family priorities and employees request for days off, due to school, family, or emergency situations. So much so, in fact, I was terminated due to being scheduled on a day my brother had an emergency he needed help with and had let me know a week in advance about. I requested that soecific day to help my brother, yet they still scheduled me, knowing I could not go in. To top it off, there was to much drama and rumors floating around everywhere and people would steal your personal items and had no sense of privacy.
Pros
Free movies and people were friendly
Cons
It was not family oriented and very disorganized
Decent job, easy at times, extremely stressful at others.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 28, 2018
There would be times while working for AMC where I would be extremely happy and energetic; however, the majority of the time I felt like I was being drained. It could be fun, occasionally, working with friends can be fun. Once you get settled in and start closing and working until 3:00 AM, it gets old. Not to mention you’re getting paid $7.25, without a raise.
Pros
Discounts, 30-45 minute breaks
Cons
Extremely low pay for the job
no room for growth
HR Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 10, 2018
everyone else gets promoted
managers chase away good employees
no paid off time for supervisors and benefits are very costly
guests at the theatre can complain about anything legit or non legit and will get their way
closing can be anywhere from midnight to 3 am
no free meals only discounted that is still over priced
they do not pay over time over 40 hrs a week
Pros
frew movies
Cons
long hrs low pay and no advancement
Fun workplace, but bad pay
Crew Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 29, 2018
I enjoyed working for AMC, and was one of their best employees at the time. It was a fun environment and extremely fast paced. They did a good job of training their crew in every area of theater operation to maximize their use of you. Over time I was promoted through the ranks and yet my pay was still below the 9.00 mark, which made it very difficult to live off of. I put in the maximum hours possible, but was not allowed to work more than 30 something hours in order that they would not have to pay benefits.

For the value that I brought to the company I feel I was not treated fairly in my compensation, and I believe that was the case with several of my coworkers as well.
Pros
Very fun work environment
Cons
Very low pay
Up and Down Position
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rockaway, NJOctober 9, 2018
Good company to work for, but there is no life/work balance. You are at work more than you are away from it. You cannot call out, or you will be diciplined. Management does not train you, and they expect you learn from the SOP on your own.
Pros
Benefits, Free movies
Cons
No breaks, no work life balance
Free movies/bad pay
Westminster - Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 7, 2018
Great, fun highschool job or get you through college job, BUT, Still making 10.20 after 5 years. Make more than a manager at my other job. Never get raises.
Pros
Free movies!
Cons
No holiday pay, have to work all the holidays, base holidays on first come first serve, not seniority, have to work weekends, no food discount off the clock
extremely friendly and productive work place
usher, box office (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 29, 2018
The work day would start with you clocking and being greeted by one of the managers, then you would go to your location/job for the day and set everything up for opening .the most enjoyable part of the jobs was seeing the happy faces of the patrons as they came in and when they revived their food
Pros
free food for double shifts, free drinks on the clock
Cons
no note worthy benefits
Relaxed environment and very comfortable culture.
Film Crew (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 31, 2018
AMC is a great place to work, especially if you’re just entering the work force for the first time! The armosphere is very relaxed, and the people come there because they want to be there! Which makes the environment a generally happy one.
Pros
Free movies! Free popcorn and soda! Employee discount on food!
Cons
No benefits :( Part time only for film crew :( Schedule varies week to week :(
More work less money
Hourly Manager (Former Employee) –  DFW, TXApril 22, 2018
Over the years working at AMC the company has added more responsibility with no compensation. 3 years ago there would be an overnight company to clean the theater and concession. Now most Theaters have begun using the film crew to clean concession stand and at some locations auditoriums. 16/17 year old kids expected to stay sometimes until 1am on school nights. Film crew wage is minimum. There is plenty of opportunity for promotion but expect that you will be working very hard. Must work busy weekend's and ALL holidays, which are always very busy. Annual raises are not guaranteed. No benefits until you become a manager. Paid time off is earned 1 hour for every 52 hours worked. The only reason i stayed for many years was because I loved my coworkers and we always made the work as fun as we could. Experience varies from each location.
Pros
Awesome co workers, free movies
Cons
Long hours, low pay, must work holidays
Friendly crew members/Management
Facilities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLOctober 23, 2018
AMC is full of friendly people to work with but it’s only a temporary job that doesn’t provide much room for advancement. Very repetitive job with zero to no room to advance your career.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No health benefits, low wages, no break, no room for advancement
Flexible schedule, but unhelpful coworkers
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WAAugust 4, 2018
The benefits of watching movies for free and having a relatively flexible schedule were very nice, but almost don't outweigh the negatives of having lazy coworkers that hardly do their jobs and only cover for you if you have covered for them. Most of the management is relatively lazy as well, even when they have nothing to do.
Pros
Free movies, chill atmosphere
Cons
Coworkers, management, hours
Overall a great opportunity and workplace
Film Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Temple, PAJuly 15, 2018
It was my first job, and it provided minimum wage, and flexible schedules. It was an experience that helped me further advance in life. Management was kind and it was a great work environment. The workplace itself was amazing and friendly.
Pros
Free movies for you offwork, discounted products, etc
Cons
Pay rate (no pay raise during my 2 year duration while working there)
Eh
Team Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 9, 2018
its just a regular low paying job free movies i could care less the pay is so low i couldn't even get a break treated like dogs tries always get written up for no reason managers gets mad when students cant make it to work but co workers "was" nice
Pros
Discount
Cons
No breaks no raise low pay
Not What You Think
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJuly 20, 2018
Everyone thinks movie theaters would be fun. The only fun part is your coworkers if you get the right ones. We had a cool general manager, and we watched some of our own move up. However the job was full of stress. You come to hate anticipate movies because your serving lines out the door. Customers are rude. The theater was always understaffed. Then there were three slow days when you're counting the hours. No one likes their job for more than three months max.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Understaffed, no benefits, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMC Theatres. Our community is ready to answer.